Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) DVD vs. Book: Are DVDs proving beneficial ? (Read 9646 times)
barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Re: DVD vs. Book: Are DVDs proving beneficial ?
Reply #24 - 07/10/12 at 01:59:06
Post Tools
Books have nothing to fear from DVD's.  They still provide greater info with better flexibility and provide more options for use without having to use other technical instruments (except maybe a pair of glasses for some of us.  Wink )

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 07/07/12 at 09:39:25
Post Tools
I have started to watch DVD's while doing something else, like when I am in the shower.

Since Chessbase began selling downloadable DVDs I have bought quite a few, but not had time to watch all of them of course...

I really enjoyed King's DVDs in the Power Play-series (I haven't gotten all of them). Maurice Ashley's "What Grandmasters Don't see" wre also good. They both present the material well. I also like Davies' presentations. Sam Collins' "Know the Terrain" were also good, but he is a bit more hesitant from time to time, like he is not sure what he really wants to present.

On the other hand, Tiviakov is as mentioned a bit too fast and a bit dry (not that there's anything wrong with that, Müller is a bit the same). Bologan's work has been both good and not so good, the presentation is not as clear, and I found the volume pretty uneven on some. I haven't seen Gustafsson's e4 e5 yet. Lilov's work is unfortunately missing in coverage, like some of Taylor's books. Enthusiastic, though.

All in all, I think I have learned some from the DVDs. It is a different format, and for me a good complement to the books that I buy but never manage to read.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 07/07/12 at 06:12:35
Post Tools
gwnn wrote on 07/06/12 at 09:22:59:
DVD's are great, provided you choose the right one and have the right expectations. I liked the Exchange Sacrifice DVD a lot for example. It does not require serious work but only enjoying some great games. Ari Ziegler has a smile on his face the whole time and you will too because the games are beautiful and the sacrifices spectacular (most of them positional). Daniel King's Power Play series is also uniform quality. There you even have exercises and if you have the willpower to pause the DVD you get a lot from it.

DVD's on openings can be helpful because the brain absorbs more info from audio/video than just reading. Still it is almost required to look at the lines yourself with real chess pieces (this is something Daniel King also says, and so does Yusupow in his training series) - so all in all the two are almost equivalent. Gustafsson's e4 e5 is almost universally accepted as the best opening DVD out there and you also get his personal files so you don't need anything else to learn the openings (although the Evans chapter has been refuted recently). I don't like Martin (too enthusiastic, forgets some lines conveniently) or Tiviakov (a bit dry, OK but so are the lines he covers so maybe that's the thing).

Maybe your brain does, but mine most certainly does not. Everyone learns better in different ways.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #21 - 07/06/12 at 12:19:19
Post Tools
That's debatable but in any case you can't rely on one source alone, be it DVD or book, to give you a good position out of the opening in every game. You have to do your own work too.

Returning to the topic, I don't have much experience with DVDs but have found the few I have watched to be very instructive and informative. Maybe that's because I've only looked at DVDs with extremely good reviews though.

On a slightly different note I quite like King's new 'What Happens Next?' series, which isn't a DVD but still falls in the multimedia category. The first two were a bit too easy to guess but the third was difficult enough to really push me.
« Last Edit: 07/07/12 at 06:26:19 by TN »  

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #20 - 07/06/12 at 11:58:49
Post Tools
I didn't say the game proved that the Evans gambit is a forced win or that 5 .. Be7 is refuted. I said the game refuted the Evans chapter, i.e. if someone plays blindly with Black what the Evans chapter recommends, he will probably lose against a well-prepared white. Refuting a chapter does not involve all moves from a chapter.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 07/06/12 at 11:44:20
Post Tools
It has been reported that Huschenbeth used Gustafsson´s DVD to prepare for this game. He found a hole in the recommendation for Black against the Evans and used this to good effect. But 5... Be7 hasn´t been refuted, that´s right.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #18 - 07/06/12 at 10:49:00
Post Tools
The Huschenbeth-Gustafsson game doesn't refute the Evans, so I assume gwnn is referring to some other game.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 07/06/12 at 09:41:28
Post Tools
gwnn wrote on 07/06/12 at 09:22:59:
(although the Evans chapter has been refuted recently).

Didn't realise this, but just went through the Huschenbeth - Gustafsson 2011, GER-ch game, brutal to see. The 7...d6 line seems to be the way to go in this variation now.

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #16 - 07/06/12 at 09:22:59
Post Tools
DVD's are great, provided you choose the right one and have the right expectations. I liked the Exchange Sacrifice DVD a lot for example. It does not require serious work but only enjoying some great games. Ari Ziegler has a smile on his face the whole time and you will too because the games are beautiful and the sacrifices spectacular (most of them positional). Daniel King's Power Play series is also uniform quality. There you even have exercises and if you have the willpower to pause the DVD you get a lot from it.

DVD's on openings can be helpful because the brain absorbs more info from audio/video than just reading. Still it is almost required to look at the lines yourself with real chess pieces (this is something Daniel King also says, and so does Yusupow in his training series) - so all in all the two are almost equivalent. Gustafsson's e4 e5 is almost universally accepted as the best opening DVD out there and you also get his personal files so you don't need anything else to learn the openings (although the Evans chapter has been refuted recently). I don't like Martin (too enthusiastic, forgets some lines conveniently) or Tiviakov (a bit dry, OK but so are the lines he covers so maybe that's the thing).

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #15 - 07/05/12 at 19:14:00
Post Tools
Some of the Chessbase DVDs don't come ready with the variations presented in a database. But it's usually easy to save the games in a database just after the game segments are finished playing, and voilá, you have it!

In CHessbase it's also easy to convert any database of lines to a tree if so desired, or to print it out in a variety of formats. So those who really want it on paper can just print it out. Saves some trees you know to not send paper to people who don't really need it.

None of this applies to video-only DVDs of course. Maybe in this information age they should be sold with a secure download link to a database with the games/variations presented.

I don't use DVDs a lot, but I find watching a DVD on some topic can pique my interest and motivate me to hit the books and/or do further analysis. I've used some of Karsten Müller's DVDs on technical endgames this way; he makes the material lively and interesting, and I can then go to Dvoretsky and Averbakh to reinforce and extend my learning.

On the Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual CD; I wonder if they've updated it over the years? The book is now in its 3rd edition, but the changes are not huge and it should be easy to update the CD too. But I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't bothered...

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

belgian

Passionate about chess
and poker...

Reply #14 - 07/05/12 at 18:20:39
Post Tools
GeneM wrote on 07/05/12 at 17:38:57:
It is implausible to quickly re-reference a particular detail from a 4 hour DVD.

How so?

I've got no problems with this.

Each DVD contains a Chessbase database file with videos. One can look at the variations presented in the videos by playing over the linked games on a board in ChessBase. The database has a content section that makes it easy to find the fragment you're after.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #13 - 07/05/12 at 17:56:46
Post Tools
I own Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual both on CD/DVD and as a book.

The book is falling apart from its being used while the DVD is sitting gathering dust.

I did download the endgame database, but it has only limited use, even in correspondence chess.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #12 - 07/05/12 at 17:53:23
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 07/05/12 at 12:27:12:
Speaking of which:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywEfL3nWyIs
Is this a wind-up? Just can't work it out.

I've watched a number of those and think they come across somewhat better in the original-language versions.  I've been struck at times by how they can lurch from (a) making elementary comments to (b) showing rather sophisticated series of moves in a machine-gun fashion.  But I have the impression (from sample clips) that the same phenomenon is common in Chessbase videos. 

Incidentally, speaking of Chessbase, Michael Richter strikes me as an unusually smooth and measured (or maybe some would say soporific) presenter.  But now we're talking German.

IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Reply #11 - 07/05/12 at 17:38:57
Post Tools
. .
Quoted below are the major ideas that draw my attention.

These comments lead me to suspect that, if it were economically feasible, --- Each DVD should be sold with a companion book.

Hmm, after the DVD is published, the companion book can be written, by anyone.
It is implausible to quickly re-reference a particular detail from a 4 hour DVD, but a companion book solves that problem.
In addition, an eBook version of the same paper book would really help fast search and reference lookup. Here in 2012, it seems most chess books in eBook format anger their buyers due to display or interactivity failures.

Fllg wrote on 07/04/12 at 18:48:48:
Perhaps a combination of both would be perfect!? [meaning combination of DVD & book]

Antillian wrote on 07/04/12 at 19:21:08:
you need to consider your learning style. Some people  learn better by reading, some by  listening.

trw wrote on 07/04/12 at 19:35:42:
Dvds I find I rarely remember what I watch.

JEH wrote on 07/05/12 at 10:28:49:
A lot of the free 10 min vids are like chess popcorn I can lazily munch through, but are they nutritional for my chess  Huh
I've bought some opening DVDs just to get a feel for if I might be interesting in playing an opening. If they were all accompanied by analysis files, like e.g. Gustafsson's 1. ...e5 repertoire, this might be the way forward.

dfan wrote on 07/05/12 at 12:37:53:
1. I find videos on openings completely useless. The pace is always too fast or too slow. Also, without a tree of lines (which I guess some DVDs have) to consult, there's no good way to use it as a reference.
. .

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

belgian

Passionate about chess
and poker...

Reply #10 - 07/05/12 at 14:39:33
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 07/04/12 at 21:36:04:
I own Gustafsson's Marshall/Anti-Marshall and Open games dvds and they're the best I've ever watched.

I concur. I also liked Aagard's "Nimzo The Easy Way" very much.

Both sets of DVDs gave me enough confidence to play the openings in serious games, without doing anything extra except watch them a few times and go over the moves a few times.

Others such as some by Kasimdzhanov have given me invaluable insights.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo