Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is the Classical Sicilian that bad? (Read 67054 times)
Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Re: Is the Classical Sicilian that bad?
Reply #17 - 03/29/16 at 11:53:15
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 03/02/16 at 02:17:25:
OK, one interesting comparison I noticed with Marin's DVD is that in the main line 11.Kb1 Qb6 12.Nxc6 Bxc6 13.f5, Kozul and Jankovic give 13...b4 a question mark "?" on page 133 (variation B), while it is Marin's recommendation (Video 5 by transposition). The difference is that after 14.Ne2, Marin recommends 14...e5, while K&J just give 14...Bxe4 and Marin warns of the dangers of taking this pawn (well, in a similar position, if not this exact variation by my recollection).

>You're doing better than me if you've even managed to find whereever it is they analyse 13...b4 at all. The layout of this book really is something else - just surreal. It makes you realise that our editors are underestimated and/or that it's not as easy as it looks to produce a comprehensible text.

Talking of Marin's DVD - in Video 6 he shows 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 d6 6.Bg5 e6 7.Qd2 a6 8.0-0-0 Bd7 9.f4 b5 10.Bxf6 gxf6 11.f5 Qb6 12.Nxc6 Bxc6 13.Kb1 b4 14.Ne2 e5 15.Ng3 h5 16.h4 Bh6 17.Qxd6 Rd8 18.Qxd8+ Qxd8 19.Rxd8+ Kxd8 20.Nxh5 Ke7 as an example of how Black can sometimes sac a pawn or two and still have sufficient counterplay with the two bishops. The principle is most likely correct, but the latest Negi book points out that instead of 20.Nxh5 White should play 20.Bxa6 with the idea of an eventual a3!, answering ...bxa3 with b4!. This doesn't refute the Kozul, of course, but might be a rather important addition to our understanding of White's resources in this type of position.

Latest: in the final round of the Candidates it was no great surprise that, against Kariakin, Caruana chose the Sicilian in a game in which he would most likely need to play for a win. What was a slight surprise was his choice not only of the Classical (which he had not played since 2009) but of a slightly strange idea in the Rauser:
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6 6. Bg5 e6 7. Qd2 a6 8.O-O-O Bd7 9. f4 h6!? 10. Bh4 b5 11. Bxf6 gxf6.
Caruana mentioned after the game that he had studied Li Chao's games in preparation. But what is the point of inserting ...h6 on move 9, if you're intending to head for a Kozul set-up? It seems to reduce (no...Bh6) rather than increase Black's options. As far as I can see its only virtue is psychological, hoping to worry White with the possibilities of ...Nxe4 or ...g5 and maybe gain time on the clock.
Explanation. anyone?

IP Logged

ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Reply #16 - 03/02/16 at 07:59:56
Post Tools
Yeah, the layout is a bit horrendous. A large part of the organization looks like guitar chords or something (e.g. DFCA Line), but there is some sympathy for the reader:

"At some specific places we thought it helpfull (sic) to underscore some parts to make it easier for you to find the main variation. It might not be consistent with the overall layout but may be helpful."

Thanks, editorial team! Smiley

In defense of the editing, they do have chapter indices, which helped me somewhat through the maze.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 03/02/16 at 02:17:25
Post Tools

OK, one interesting comparison I noticed with Marin's DVD is that in the main line 11.Kb1 Qb6 12.Nxc6 Bxc6 13.f5, Kozul and Jankovic give 13...b4 a question mark "?" on page 133 (variation B), while it is Marin's recommendation (Video 5 by transposition). The difference is that after 14.Ne2, Marin recommends 14...e5, while K&J just give 14...Bxe4 and Marin warns of the dangers of taking this pawn (well, in a similar position, if not this exact variation by my recollection).

>You're doing better than me if you've even managed to find whereever it is they analyse 13...b4 at all. The layout of this book really is something else - just surreal. It makes you realise that our editors are underestimated and/or that it's not as easy as it looks to produce a comprehensible text.

IP Logged

ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Reply #14 - 02/29/16 at 19:30:45
Post Tools
To expand on Stigma's post:

I think the Classical significantly weakens the English Attack.

6.Be3 Ng4! is an improved version of the Najdorf line (Nc6 is much more useful than a6) and 6.f3 e5! is a comfortable Boleslavsky (precursor of the Najdorf). Note that Black can play a5 in one move to play against the knight on b3 and this is at least one favorable comparison with the Najdorf.

For just about everything else besides 6.Bg5 or 6.Bc4, you can play a comfortable Boleslavsky or Dragon (having bypassed the Yugoslav). I've noticed that a lot of amateurs get move-ordered when they play 6.Be2 to try to avoid theory. In this case, the Dragon can be an unpleasant surprise, since they may prefer the Yugoslav but never got around to studying the Rauzer or Sozin carefully. In my experience, a lot of players get confused by this move order.

I think 6.Bc4 should be taken seriously, but I don't think it should be greatly feared either. The modern approaches that delay castling are very interesting. The theory in some places seems less charted than the Najdorf here, so I think you can force White to think on his own more and still get good counterplay. Marin's DVD has an interesting system with Bd7 against the Velimirovic that appears to be little explored.

6.Bg5 is the real monster here. A lot of people know this is the best move, but maybe aren't completely sure why. The Kozul can be very sharp and takes careful study. (For me, this is the biggest obstacle in the Classical repertoire by far.)  It's easy to mess up when you're playing it for the first time. One thing to remember is that Black will often sacrifice a pawn (or sometimes two!) to trade queens and enter an endgame where he has dynamic compensation with the bishop pair and piece activity while attacking White's weaknesses. I think it's an underestimated system often due to some false assumptions. There is a lot of theory to learn here, but I think it has good practical potential if you do your homework since the theory is less known and sometimes less explored than the Najdorf.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #13 - 02/29/16 at 19:20:56
Post Tools
I presume it may be the case that the Richter-Rauzer should enable White to reach "+=" territory.  I have no idea where such thoughts as that it may "win by force" come from.

Regarding ...a6, although Black often plays it later in the Classical, there are quite a few "book" lines in which he doesn't.  That can be connected with such things as ...e5, or ...Nxd4 and ...Qa5, or ...a5, or ...Na5 and ...b6 etc. as the case may be.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #12 - 02/29/16 at 18:20:57
Post Tools
@nocteus:

I'm not sure if such abstract considerations are all that useful in deciding what to play. But to go along: With ...Nc6 in Black has more immediate influence on the centre, and moves like 6.f3, 6.Be2 and (especially) 6.Be3 are thought to have less bite there than against the Najdorf. Black also keeps the option of switching to a Dragon structure (without resorting to the somewhat dodgy-looking Dragondorf).

You don't mention practicality, which to me is the main selling point of the Classical. The Najdorf is so heavily theoretical that if you play it, it is probably your first or only choice. The Classical being less theoretical means it can work as a second choice or surprise weapon, or for people with little time or a bad memory.

This is largely because the Richter-Rauzer is in many people's opinion the only critical try, which is both a blessing (less theory to remember) and a curse (maybe it wins by force!?). And in spite of that, 6.Bg5 against the Najdorf has been analyzed in even greater detail than the R-R.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Reply #11 - 02/29/16 at 17:37:49
Post Tools
To answer that question, I think we need to take a step backward before plunging into the mess of variations.
First, I confess that I quite do not understand the Classical sicilian. The 'odd-looking' waiting move a6 in the Najdorf makes more sense to me: you wait for white's plan to determine a plan and a structure, as black's counterplay in the Sicilian is not immediately evident. But it is not because the Najdorf would be easier to understand, but mainly because I've seen so many Najdorf and so few classical that now I do know and understand what the Najdorf player is trying to accomplish against white's main replies.
So what is the Classical player trying to accomplish without a6? My main reflex when considering the Classical is to push a6 anyway to prepare some counterplay with b5.

Given that the Classical is not directly refuted (is it?), we could consider:
- excluding the main critical line (Richter-Rauzer?), are the positions reached with direct play in the Classical that more interesting than in the Najdorf? In other words, is it that worth considering the Classical over the Sicilian?
- If yes, considering the critical line, is it viable to try and defend against it? Does this line outweighs the benefits of the other lines?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #10 - 02/29/16 at 07:08:50
Post Tools
ChevyBanginStyle wrote on 02/29/16 at 06:22:38:

That seems curious (on the part of K&J).  14...e5 was also thought to be better than 14...Bxe4 in such old books as ECO and NCO.

IP Logged

ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Reply #9 - 02/29/16 at 06:22:38
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 02/29/16 at 00:49:01:
There is a recent book by Kozul and Jankovec, of course, covering what I presume is the Kozul.

Unfortunately on a quick glance they appeared to have been forced to concede that it lost by force, but perhaps they were merely being honest and I am exaggerating.

LOL

The Richter-Rauzer DOA

Surely this is at least a half-joke?

I find this radical difference of opinion very interesting. Anyway, it's hard for me to believe the whole Kozul Rauzer is dead. I remember winning a game using the Kozul against a young national master and he seemed almost annoyed I didn't play the Najdorf. He seemed confident that a computer check would show White's superiority, but he was later dismayed when Houdini evaluated the opening in my favor.  For me, this line is beautifully ugly. It sometimes looks like Black's position is about to fall apart, and at the moment it seems broken, the energy flows through a counterattack and everything makes sense again in a really strange way. But maybe it's all a dream... Smiley

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #8 - 02/29/16 at 01:39:53
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 02/29/16 at 00:49:01:
There is a recent book by Kozul and Jankovec, of course, covering what I presume is the Kozul.

Unfortunately on a quick glance they appeared to have been forced to concede that it lost by force, but perhaps they were merely being honest and I am exaggerating.

By force?! Assuming you're not joking here, that must be bad news for the book's sales (likely already hurt by the frequent complains over the layout).

I wonder where the book crosses paths with the recent Marin DVD, and whether he can offer any hope?

I played the Kozul a bit several years ago and have some sympathy for Black's cause, but if it really is in such a sorry condition I won't play it again any time soon.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 02/29/16 at 00:49:01
Post Tools

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 02/25/16 at 08:53:43
Post Tools
Interesting, because after working my way through Marin's three volumes on the English, I'd say i really like the presentation and explanations, i.e. great for learning genraöly about the opening. But he has missed quite a few critical lines (already played but incorrectly noted as novelties, engine lines that were pretty clear cut, or logical continuations that were not mentioned e.g.), i.e. not always that great theoretically speaking. This has been discussed before. My question is, was this just specific for those books and has changed now?

IP Logged

ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Reply #5 - 02/25/16 at 04:27:55
Post Tools
In terms of chess content, I think Marin is one of the best Chessbase presenters. (In terms of attention to detail on the critical lines, he seems to have the strongest work.) He may not have the most engaging speaking style, but the quality of his work keeps my attention. His work on the Rauzer deserves serious attention and his coverage of the Velimirovic involves an interesting new approach. You'll need to do some independent work on minor lines though. (For instance, the interesting 8.Nxc6!? in the Modern Rauzer is not mentioned.) I think it's a great place to start and gives a strong argument for the Classical.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #4 - 11/10/15 at 23:07:13
Post Tools
I tried to, but got stuck with "....uh....uh...uh".

IP Logged

Anon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/10/15 at 21:44:47
Post Tools
Has anyone viewed Marin's DVD on the Classical Sicilian?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo