Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need a list of strategical endgame books (Read 35777 times)
chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Re: Need a list of strategical endgame books
Reply #27 - 02/18/15 at 14:35:39
Post Tools
Another update from my previous posts:
I have recently finished Soltis' "Turning Advantage Into Victory" and found it pretty good. Packed with practical insights and with no overlapping material in comparison to other books I have read (e.g. Shereshevsky etc.)

Nowadays I am about 2/3 into Mednis & Crouch: "Rate Your Endgame", which is indeed exceptionally good.

I am becoming a big fun of this type of books!   Smiley

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 02/18/15 at 13:05:12
Post Tools
The two books Karpov's Strategic Wins by Karolyi also contain a lot of strategic endgames with some really good comments and a fine analysis.

IP Logged

MM0621
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 11/26/14 at 04:55:27
Post Tools
John Watson once recommended "Endgame Artillery" by  Dr. Alex Angos. It is a very instructive book about Queen and Rook endgames.

IP Logged

Gut Gambit
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 11/16/14 at 20:56:36
Post Tools
Larsen_fan wrote on 05/19/14 at 11:01:57:
Hi

Does anyone know this book http://www.newinchess.com/Grandmaster_Chess_Strategy-p-950.html ?

It seems to be a lot about strategical endgames.

regards,
Larsen_fan

Looking in it now, I would say its more a middle game book, with the swedish end game genius Ulf Anderssons games. Of course there are  endagmes here, but I think the main thing in the book is focusing on themes in the middle game, and how to convert the advantages from these themes in the following endgame.

I must admit that I have not read it all from from cover to cover yet, but I will get there ( next holiday!). If your style is positional. And if you`re  young (not like me)  and a 2100 FIDE ( like me), I would be surprised if your rating wasn`t to raise by 100-150 elo after reading and study this book properly.

IP Logged

Larsen_fan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 05/19/14 at 11:01:57
Post Tools
Hi

Does anyone know this book http://www.newinchess.com/Grandmaster_Chess_Strategy-p-950.html ?

It seems to be a lot about strategical endgames.

regards,
Larsen_fan

IP Logged

trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 10/17/13 at 13:15:42
Post Tools
I'm impressed than no one has mentioned "Tragicomedy in the Endgame" by Dvoretsky

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Reply #21 - 10/05/13 at 06:38:22
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 10/05/13 at 02:45:07:
The Shereshevsky/Slutsky book sounds like what came out in English (in two volumes) as "Mastering the Endgame."

Yepp...thats right.

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #20 - 10/05/13 at 02:45:07
Post Tools
The Shereshevsky/Slutsky book sounds like what came out in English (in two volumes) as "Mastering the Endgame."

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Reply #19 - 10/05/13 at 00:16:07
Post Tools
From the middlegame into the endgame.
By Mednis.

I think Shereshevsky also have written an endgame book titled (translated from russian language) ".Contours of the endgame" I have this book at home. I can check if it was Shereshevsky who was the author when I come home. It deals with the prepatory phase of the endgame . Mostly from 1.e4 openings. Bobby Fischer mentioned this book in one of his many interviews. So it is a book he studied.

p.s

Yes it is Shereshevsky...and Leonid Slutzky who wrote Contours of the endgame.

Here is a link (in russian) :

http://webchess.ru/ebook/52.html

The text from the page translated by google :

Leonid Slutsky , Michael Shereshevskiy
" The contours of the endgame "

Publisher: Moscow . "Sport ", 1989 400 pages

The Book of Masters sport L. Slutsky and M. Shereshevsky little-studied problem affects chess theory - connection between opening and endgame . The authors analyze the most typical end arising from a variety of open and semi-open started . The classification is based debut principle - Sicilian , Spanish , French, endgame , etc.
The widespread use of classical chess heritage and examples of modern tournament practice , a good level of presentation make the book useful for anyone wishing to improve.
For chess players gaps .

Just between....The soviet chess library is just enormous. There are so many good chessbooks that have never reached the west...I can tell you. Probably thousands of books. What comes to my mind is of course all those endgame and strategy books. Theory books are of course outdated but I am sure one can still find interesting ideas in them. So if you can learn enough russian you open the door to a fantastic chess library.

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #18 - 09/28/13 at 02:03:41
Post Tools
I'm glad, but not surprised, to hear that. I'm slowly going through his middlegame book now and it's really well done and illuminating.

IP Logged

aljoge
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 09/27/13 at 19:11:43
Post Tools
Have the book of Hellsten now at home, and I must say: this is exactly the book I was looking for. It contains 500 examples about all different kind of endgames, concluding with all different excercises. What make me surprise is the easy introduction about how to start handling these complex endgames, by means of a small introduction containing basic rules in a specific type of endgame. For instance found a chapter about all philidor position lookalikes, but they aren't that way as in normal theoretical endgames books and have all specific ins and outs

In the introduction he mentioned the sources where those positions came from: smyslovs endgame collection, shehereshevskys endgame strategy and baburin's endgame kaleidoscope.

This is the third and last book of Hellstens trilogy, this final ending book is an amazing finish!

IP Logged

aljoge
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 09/20/13 at 21:44:46
Post Tools
katar wrote on 09/04/13 at 22:21:47:
New book in this category:
Mastering Endgame Strategy by Johan Hellsten.
I've only seen the sample pages but i expect it will be quite good-- his middlegame book is very good.
Everyman as a publisher does not specialize in methodical training material-- that is QualityChess's specialty with for example the Yusupov & Aagaard series.  However I think Hellsten's strategy books have a very "Aagaard" feel to them with the emphasis on solving positions.  In my opinion Hellsten's books are on par with the best stuff from "Quality Chess".

Anyway I am looking forward to buying a copy.

I just ordered this book from Hellsten, give me a time to give an opinion.

Also want to mention this old book by Pantschenko: Endspieltheorie und Praktik. Bought that second hand and it contains a volume of all not so easy examples of every kind of endgame. At the end of every chapter it closes with positions you need to solve yourself, and not so easy ones, some are really challenging, even the ones with pawns only can be tough and I am not a weak player.  The variety of examples with just a few more pieces then the normal little in other endgame books, makes this book quite special for me about a theme that is underestimated, gaining the edge to reach a good endgame.

IP Logged

Lovuschka
YaBB Newbies

I love pawn studies!

Reply #15 - 09/14/13 at 14:05:21
Post Tools
While not entirely strategical, I can recommend the four books that form:

André Chéron: Lehr- und Handbuch der Endspiele (2nd edition)

Not sure if it ever was translated to English.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 09/06/13 at 23:44:33
Post Tools
Benoniac wrote on 09/06/13 at 19:55:43:
Regarding rook endgames:

I just want to mention " A practical guide to Rook Engames", by Nikolay Minev.

This little book is just packed with the right practical stuff.  Smiley

Ben

Currently available for £5 at Chess & Bridge (based in England but they have an internet shop too)

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

Benoniac

Don`t become what you
hate

Reply #13 - 09/06/13 at 19:55:43
Post Tools
Regarding rook endgames:

I just want to mention " A practical guide to Rook Engames", by Nikolay Minev.

This little book is just packed with the right practical stuff.  Smiley

Ben

People dont live or die, people just float
B Dylan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo