Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need a list of strategical endgame books (Read 35702 times)
chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Re: Need a list of strategical endgame books
Reply #12 - 09/06/13 at 08:50:59
Post Tools
Just an update on my first post in this thread:

Since then I have actually read Aagaard's Excelling at Technical Chess - I found it useful and informative (maybe needs a bit of editing - but nothing serious).

It does not cover everything, but gives good pointers as to where to look for supplements, e.g. does not cover opposite-coloured Bishops but references Dvoretsky's treatment on the subject (the book mentioned by ErictheRed above) - my note: Dvoretsky has also included most of this analysis in his Endgame Manual -, and Marin's Learn from the Legends.

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #11 - 09/05/13 at 19:16:49
Post Tools
Rate Your Endgame, already mentioned above, is my favorite on this subject.  Dvoretsky's Technique for the Tournament Player is also phenomenal!

For some reason I've never been able to read much of Shereshevsky's book; maybe it's too dry?  And when the same ending is explained in other places, I normally prefer other authors' explanations to Shereshevsky's.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #10 - 09/05/13 at 08:31:42
Post Tools
The latest puzzle book by Müller might fit the bill. http://www.russell-enterprises.com/cpb4.html

I haven't seen it. Do not hurry and the principle of two weaknesses seems to relate to the old Shereshevsky book though. Could be interesting to study this in a puzzle format.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #9 - 09/04/13 at 22:21:47
Post Tools
New book in this category:
Mastering Endgame Strategy by Johan Hellsten.
I've only seen the sample pages but i expect it will be quite good-- his middlegame book is very good.
Everyman as a publisher does not specialize in methodical training material-- that is QualityChess's specialty with for example the Yusupov & Aagaard series.  However I think Hellsten's strategy books have a very "Aagaard" feel to them with the emphasis on solving positions.  In my opinion Hellsten's books are on par with the best stuff from "Quality Chess".

Anyway I am looking forward to buying a copy.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #8 - 09/22/12 at 18:18:13
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 09/21/12 at 16:24:04:
I hated Golombek's hagiography of Capablanca. There are far better, less cloying books on Capablanca.

If you thought Golombek was hagiographic, then Chernev will truly induce nausea -- but for my part, hero-worship is a secret, guilty pleasure.

Regarding Shereshevsky, it should be said that there are two works: Endgame Strategy, with chapters such as "Do Not Hurry," and "The Two Bishops," and the two-volume set Mastering the Endgame, which is the one that categorizes endgames by opening. Both are great, but I think the original poster may not be aware of the existence of the latter.
« Last Edit: 09/23/12 at 12:52:40 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #7 - 09/21/12 at 16:24:04
Post Tools
I hated Golombek's hagiography of Capablanca. There are far better, less cloying books on Capablanca.

I'm surprised that Mihail Marin's Learn From the Legends (2004) hasn't been mentioned yet. He looks at the endgames of some of the greats, including Mikhail Tal! Edit: I just noticed that Stigma mentioned this. Sorry!  Embarrassed

One of the problems with books dealing with endgame strategy is that they are often either too specific or too broad. Shereshevsky's classic resolved that by focusing on endgames that may occur as a result of specific openings.

Dvoretsky's Secrets of Chess Training resolved the problem by focusing on adjourned positions. This was the first of Dvoretsky's English language training books and is rightly considered extremely difficult, but rewarding reading.

I really liked Beliavsky's Winning Endgame Technique to explain some key strategies, especially in minor piece endings.

Another book that I really loved that fits this discussion is Jon Speelman's Analysing the Endgame. He starts out with concrete pawn endings, but quickly moves on to more complex endings. He includes a very helpful index based on themes, as well as indices of composers and material. The book was published in 1981, and it remains one that I refer back to fairly regularly.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #6 - 09/21/12 at 13:07:18
Post Tools
I second Stigma's recommendations. In addition, I would recommend:

Practical Endgame Lessons by Mednis or Rate Your Endgame by Mednis and Crouch, which is 80% the same book, but in algebraic notation, with some sections placed in a guess-the-move-for-points format, and with some nice extra material by Crouch. The former book was recommended by none other than Dvoretsky.

The Giants of Strategy by Neil McDonald, in which a little more than half of the examples concern queenless positions. Very good explanations.

Basic Chess Endingsby Reuben Fine. This book is primarily known as a comprehensive technical reference work, now generally thought to be superseded. But if you look through it many of the examples fit the definition of a strategic endgame. It is not generally appreciated that Fine's verbal explanations of the stages of typical plans have never been surpassed. Who cares if his long variations sometimes miss some extremely clever inobvious moves? We need an understanding of the typical procedures so we can play like good humans. Later we can fine-tune, ha ha. Now I am not suggesting that you read this book cover-to-cover, but where Mueller and Pajekin will give you a general principle and an example with variations, Fine will give you the most common case in the form of an explicit five-stage procedure.

Capablanca's Best Games by Golombek, computer-checked by Nunn. Simply go through the games with endgames. Also Capablanca's best Chess Endings by Chernev--not computer-checked or analytically pored-over, as are Dvoretsky and Karolyi, but again that is not so important if you are studying strategy. These books do not contain a massive amount of strategic explanation, but neither are they difficult, and Capablanca's play is not to be missed.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #5 - 09/03/12 at 20:20:01
Post Tools
I have all the books on the list, but have only read 1/2 of them!  Embarrassed Good intentions...

I have read large parts of Soltis' "Turning Advantage Into Victory" and also his "GM Secrets: Endings" which is a lot about thinking methods despite dealing mostly with technical or very simplified positions.

I learned a lot from those books, but I'm afraid that just reveals my pathetic endgame level prior to reading. For most people I would say they're useful up to 2000, but probably wont' help you push beyond 2200.

Other potentially useful books could be the two "Endgame Virtuoso" books (on Smyslov by Smyslov and on Karpov by Karolyi), "Learn from the Legends" by Marin, and Dvoretsky books like "Strategic Play" (the last 80 or so pages deal with "simple positions") and "Secrets of Endgame Technique". Hard to believe, but only 2 of those 5 grace my bookshelves!

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #4 - 09/03/12 at 20:05:25
Post Tools
jhbchess wrote on 09/03/12 at 16:58:48:
I like Silman's Complete Endgame Course and Pandolfini's Endgame Course.

Yes, but those are not (for the most part) books on strategic endings. They deal with technical endings, which is very different.

The DB books collections are useful though, especially for all those books that are not (yet) published as playable ebooks.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

jhbchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 09/03/12 at 16:58:48
Post Tools
I like Silman's Complete Endgame Course and Pandolfini's Endgame Course.

There are some endgame collections here in pgn and cbv format: http://www.gambitchess.com/index2.htm

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #2 - 09/03/12 at 08:33:55
Post Tools
I think "Endgame Strategy" is the chess book that has had the biggest impact on me. Read it carefully and re-read it.

I'm a big fan of Müller's clear instructions. I haven't read the book with Pajeken, but I'm sure it's good.

The Flear book is an extensive set of positions. Great if you're looking for volume.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #1 - 09/03/12 at 08:29:10
Post Tools
From the ones listed above I have read (2 times!):
Shereshevsky, Mikhail (1994), Endgame Strategy
and recommend it 100%

I have also purchased:
Flear, Glenn (2007), Practical Endgame Play
Some people I listen to had a very good opinion about this book, but tbh it is massive and seems like a lot more work to me than Shereshevsky.

I have also bought Aagaard's Excelling at Technical Chess, which is a small book and have recently started to go through it.

All these books are interesting and maybe complement each other, I would personally start with Shereshevsky - assuming that you have some ground knowledge on pure, technical endgames (e.g. R+P vs. R).

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

raja

I Love ChessPublishing!

Need a list of strategical endgame books
09/03/12 at 05:17:19
Post Tools
Hi guys ...after playing few tournaments and losing to 2200 and 2300 players in the endgame i now realise that 2200> players are very good at strategical endgames and i want to improve in that area so guys please suggest good books that you have read and that you liked on this subject.

here are few

Hansen, Lars Bo (2006), Secrets of Chess Endgame Strategy, Gambit,

Shereshevsky, Mikhail (1994), Endgame Strategy, Everyman Chess,

Flear, Glenn (2007), PracticalEndgame Play - beyond the basics:

Müller, Karsten; Pajeken, Wolfgang (2008), How to Play Chess Endings,

Turning Advantage into Victory...Soltis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo