Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Is the Dragadorf still viable? (Read 15662 times)
MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Is the Dragadorf still viable?
Reply #7 - 04/11/13 at 08:33:18
Post Tools
That's rather simplifistic. If you mean 12.. a6 vs 12 Kb1 in the Yugoslav then perhaps.

The actual dragodorf set up is fundamentally different to the 'standard' dragon one and stands/falls on the merits of that rather than a comparison of tempi Smiley (You can see how different a post or two above this.).

IP Logged

shepi13
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 04/11/13 at 04:56:02
Post Tools
I have a friend who specializes in the dragon. He thinks the dragadorf is unsound because it just loses tempo. In the dragon black looks to attack with pieces, as white generally has more tempo on any simple pawn attack (such as b5-b4 of the najdorf, with a prepatory a6), and a6 seems like a wasted tempo that could be used on maybe more useful moves such as Rb8. I don't believe it's refuted, but it isn't any challenge to a player of the white pieces either in my opinion.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #5 - 09/24/12 at 09:41:40
Post Tools
Last time I looked, ChessPublishing stuff (or was it stuff on the Forum? -- I can't remember exactly) did seem to call it seriously into question.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 09/24/12 at 09:31:55
Post Tools
parisestmagique wrote on 09/24/12 at 08:53:34:
I suspect there must be a hole in Black formation, no Dragodorf/Dragadorf/Dragondorf games at the recent Olympiad ...

Or maybe just out of fashion nowadays..  Wink

IP Logged

parisestmagique

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 09/24/12 at 08:53:34
Post Tools
I suspect there must be a hole in Black formation, no Dragodorf/Dragadorf/Dragondorf games at the recent Olympiad ...

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #2 - 09/06/12 at 14:31:49
Post Tools
[quote]PS: I spelled it Dragondorf at least four time while writing this message.[/quote]
As I've pointed out before, it should be spelt 'Dragodorf', not the ghastly 'Dragadorf'. Chess book editors please note! There's no reason for pronunciation to trump etymology!

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #1 - 09/06/12 at 08:46:12
Post Tools
I have Williams book but I did not not like from blacks point of view is this line from Dismantling the Sicilian when computers back then did not like blacks position at all.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4
4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 g6 6. Be3 Bg7 7. f3 a6 8. Qd2 Nbd7 9. Bc4 b5 10. Bb3 Bb7 11. Bh6

Unfortunnaly my computer is at reparation right now so I can not check if better hardware,  software and human has any improvments.

Accelerated Dragadorf  on the other hand am not shure what whites best line is.
But in a game at local club against a much stronger player I got a interesting over the board idea. After 6 Be3 a6 I played 7 Be2 and after Bg7 I played 8 Qd2, intending 0-0 9 0-0-0. Perhaps not the most critical line but in that game I got a close to winning position but I managec to blunder it away and lost. The point of whites play is that we have reached a regular Dragon line where blacks play is subotimal. This system is also playable against regular Dragon too but black has better options than a6.

About Sniper I have not read any book on that variation.

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Is the Dragadorf still viable?
09/05/12 at 23:34:13
Post Tools
Working through Henley's book on the Sniper has renewed my interest in the Sicilian. I used to play it years ago thanks to "How to think three moves ahead in chess" -- we're talking a long time ago. I played the dragon for a while then got crushed a few times and moved on to the French.

I'm now interested in the Dragadorf, but I'm wondering how it's holding up these days. Is it still played at a reasonably high level? Or has it been refuted, "under a cloud" maybe?

I'm assuming there have been some updates since "The New Sicilian Dragon" was released a couple of years ago. I haven't been over to Simon William's site to check yet. Are there any sites with recent updates? I just finished reading a long thread here on ChessPub, it was informative, but it's also two years old.

Finally, transposing from The Sniper to the Dragadorf looks possible, but would rule out the accelerated Dragadorf, and I'm assuming it's sub-optimal, recommended or stick to the regular Dragadorf?

Thanks

PS: I spelled it Dragondorf at least four time while writing this message.

Edit to add: I notice that the Kindle ebook version was just recently released. I'm assuming it's just a copy of the paper version, but does anyone know for sure?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo