Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Low Maintenance Openings - Botvinnik System (Read 14395 times)
John Bartholomew
YaBB Newbies

Re: Low Maintenance Openings - Botvinnik System
Reply #12 - 11/20/12 at 21:12:34
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 11/20/12 at 10:42:44:
chk wrote on 11/20/12 at 08:47:30:
Hmm, I see. So I suppose Kosten also does not cover it?

I don't think I covered any lines with the Botvinnik versus ...c5 in my book. A strong GM played ...c5 and ...e5 against me once and it was a hard nut to crack - I tried playing f4 and b4 but got nowhere.
Maybe a subscriber should ask JB to look at this sometime? Wink

Please do!!  Cheesy I don't receive many questions or user feedback, so if you request something there's an excellent chance I'll cover it.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #11 - 11/20/12 at 12:26:34
Post Tools
Thanks Tony. Indeed it is quite drawish, but I am going to be paired vs. much stronger opposition so I don't really mind (just for this year that is!).

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #10 - 11/20/12 at 10:42:44
Post Tools
chk wrote on 11/20/12 at 08:47:30:

I don't think I covered any lines with the Botvinnik versus ...c5 in my book. A strong GM played ...c5 and ...e5 against me once and it was a hard nut to crack - I tried playing f4 and b4 but got nowhere.
Maybe a subscriber should ask JB to look at this sometime? Wink

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #9 - 11/20/12 at 08:47:30
Post Tools

btw just remembered that I may have some games to check in Soltis' book Pawn structure (iirc he has a chapter on Q-side stonewall). A fine book, but bought it some years ago together with a bunch of other (important) books and haven't managed yet to give it a serious look..

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #8 - 11/19/12 at 19:39:16
Post Tools
I don't know that I've ever seen much on 1. c4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. g3 g6 4. Bg2 Bg7 5. e4 e5.  I notice that ECO (2001) had one column and a few notes on it (with most of the lines ending with equality, as one might expect); Carsten Hansen's book on the Symmetrical English (2000) was even more succinct.  Odd that some books don't even mention 5...e5.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #7 - 11/19/12 at 17:45:25
Post Tools
Slightly off-topic, but I think of interest to the same people:

I am not a frequent visitor to this part of the forum so maybe my question has been answered before (apologies if so), but cannot seem to find exactly what I am looking for - here's the deal:

As White I play the Botvinnik as a way to bypass the Sicilian -> in essence it is e4+c4 vs. e5+c5. I fianchetto on the K-side, play Nge2 and the usual. But I am not interested in the lines where Black omits either ...e5 or ...c5 (I won't face them). It is basically this ultra-symmetrical stonewall that interests me.
I know the basic plans but would like to sink my teeth into some lines. iirc Marin does not cover this approach for Black and I have no clue about what Kosten does in his book. Any sources/ideas anybody?  Sad

Thanks in advance for any help on that..

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 09/13/12 at 10:01:40
Post Tools
Intro to Botvinnik? LMAO Cheesy You can make such intro using chessbase by yourself since Lilov DVD (like all his stuff) is highly superficial and he probably used less than 1 h to made it. This is just disgrace for producers to let such stuff be on the market. This is laughing in customer faces selling them garbage. If someone wants repertoire in english it's better to get one of Dzindzi DVD's. Of course they are not perfect and Dzindzi is also not 100% honest with customer, but they are much better than Lilov's.

2200. Amateur!

jhbchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 09/11/12 at 13:12:49
Post Tools
Ender wrote on 09/09/12 at 23:12:16:
jhbchess wrote on 09/07/12 at 04:37:53:
Chessbase has a good downloadable DVD on the Botvinnik by Valeri Lilov.

This DVD is a CRAP and waste of money. I bought few DVDs from Lilov and he is as bad as Schiller. WASTE OF MONEY.

It's $12 for an intro to the Botvinnik, I thought it was a pretty good introduction to the opening and. I went from that video to the Nigel Davies English DVD, then to Dynamic English by Kosten and waiting in the wings I have the Marin GM Repertoire (skimming it for themes/ideas now, will look at swapping out lines later).

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 09/09/12 at 23:12:16
Post Tools
jhbchess wrote on 09/07/12 at 04:37:53:
Chessbase has a good downloadable DVD on the Botvinnik by Valeri Lilov.

This DVD is a CRAP and waste of money. I bought few DVDs from Lilov and he is as bad as Schiller. WASTE OF MONEY.

2200. Amateur!

jhbchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 09/07/12 at 04:37:53
Post Tools
Chessbase has a good downloadable DVD on the Botvinnik by Valeri Lilov. In that amount of time it won't be as deep as Dynamic English or the Marin repertoire but it's a pretty good starter.

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/06/12 at 20:13:10
Post Tools
Thanks very much. I appreciate it.

I've been on ChessCube for a while, but haven't been on regularly and haven't accumulated very many points yet. That's good information though, I'll make a point of playing there more often.

IP Logged

walkingterrapin

Why play the Colle when
you can play 1.e4!!!!!!!!!

Reply #1 - 09/06/12 at 18:57:31
Post Tools
I will watch those videos and let you know.  The videos are essentially free on that site if you have the points to unlock them, just spend some time on the site and you will get enough points to have them.  I have watched a few of the videos and some are interesting, but most are not worth the time and you can find any of the information on youtube or elsewhere if you look.

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Low Maintenance Openings - Botvinnik System
09/05/12 at 23:42:37
Post Tools
I've been going over my openings again, and noticed that ChessCube has a two-part video set by Andrew Martin Titled "Low Maintenance Openings - Botvinnik System"

It's described as:

Watch as IM Andrew Martin teaches you the typical plans and ideas of the Botvinnik System in the English. This is an easy and aggressive opening in which White aims to build up a kingside attack while limiting Black's counterplay. In part one you will learn the basic strategy of the system, based on playing c4 and e4 with a kingside fianchetto. A solid system with no heavy theory.
Chapters include:
Black plays with e5
Black stays flexible and prepares b5
How to play against systems with c5
Transposing into other openings

Volume two deals with:

How to meet the symmetrical English approach
    A typical club-level encounter shows what to avoid with Black
    A 1971 masterpiece in the reversed Sicilian or classical setup
    Keeping Black's counterplay in check in the classical setup
    Early alternatives for White

I was wondering if anyone has seen these and what you thought. I'm not expecting a lot as these are obviously aimed at the newbie level (yes, I know, appropriate for me), but as the Botvinnik is a big part of the "Dynamic English" I thought $16 for a few hours of video was okay, and they look like fun.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo