Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Catalan suited below 2000? (Read 59183 times)
TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Re: Catalan suited below 2000?
Reply #3 - 09/20/12 at 14:21:45
Post Tools
Dink Heckler wrote on 09/20/12 at 13:27:51:
Catalan could be a very good option sub-2000, because your opponents would have virtually no experience of it!

However, my pedagogic side would always caution against playing 'over-refined' openings, as I believe it stunts one's chess development.

The refinement of the Catalan is also my worry, compared to my chess-level. That is why I posed my question. By "stunts" do you mean "hinders"? (English is not my native language and I couldn't find it in my dictionary) But maybe, just because of the refinement, it could HELP my chess development?

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #2 - 09/20/12 at 13:27:51
Post Tools
Catalan could be a very good option sub-2000, because your opponents would have virtually no experience of it!

However, my pedagogic side would always caution against playing 'over-refined' openings, as I believe it stunts one's chess development.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #1 - 09/18/12 at 17:04:19
Post Tools
Of course it is.  Why wouldn't it be?  In just about every main line White can develop quickly and efficiently, put his pieces on natural squares, and get a decent game. 

This same question could be asked of many openings and I'd give the same answer.  Is the Ruy Lopez suitable for lower rated players?  Of course it is.  Will a beginner know or understand all the intricacies and theory?  No, but he's playing good, logical, straightforward moves and can get a playable game even when he plays "inferior" moves like 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.Nc3 or 5.d3.

The only exceptions I can think of are those lines that are extremely complicated tactically or strategically (Botvinnik Semi-Slav, Winawer Poisoned Pawn), or that break a lot of "rules" (Alekhine's Defense).  Otherwise, just play chess, develop your pieces quickly and efficiently, control the center, and don't worry about the "name" of the opening you're playing.  Just PLAY CHESS.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Catalan suited below 2000?
09/18/12 at 16:06:56
Post Tools
I find the Catalan a very interesting but also difficult opening. I love to fianchetto my King's bishop, but have some difficulty with the clash between the pawns on c4 and d4 vs. c5 and d5 and the different pawn configurations in the centre. I already play the Reti and the English, but want to implement some 1.d4-variations in my repertoire (following Hilton & Ippolito and Avrukh). Do you think the Catalan is suitable for a player rated below 2000 or does a Catalan-newcomer need more chess understanding?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo