Latest Updates:
Normal Topic chessbase article comparison of chess and economy (Read 3612 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: chessbase article comparison of chess and economy
Reply #4 - 10/09/12 at 20:31:52
Post Tools
Quote:
Yesterday’s unemployed chess bum

This seems like a very negative way to describe a self-employed professional chess player, likely a Grandmaster!
Anyway, don't forget that one hour's coaching normally entails at least a couple of hours (unpaid) preparation, as in most teaching jobs I suppose.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 10/08/12 at 22:19:10
Post Tools
I do know coaches that charge $150... an hour but I think they do roughly 8-10 hours of lessons a week and bank around 30-60 k a year.

Sure, those hour rates seem totally possible to me but I don't think I have met a chess teacher yet that was capable of breaking 80k let alone six figures due to number of students and hours per student.

But the better US Coaches I've found charge between $60-$100
Goldin: $60
Akobian: $90
Kaidanov: $100
Shulman: $70

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 10/08/12 at 20:56:40
Post Tools
Quote:
In many US cities, for example, good chess teachers earn upwards of $100-$150 per hour. Yesterday’s unemployed chess bum can bring in a six-figure income if he or she is willing to take on enough work.

Possible... I suppose... but rather unlikely on lessons alone because it assumes there is sufficient demand to fill in the hours.  To clear nearly  $100K you'd need to average $100 per hour, 20 hours of lessons per week for 48 weeks a year.  To find that many students with disposable incomes to afford the lessons would require being located in a large, chess playing city and probably supplemented by remote/internet students (meaning the "chess bum" would have to be well known to attract a following.)   

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 10/08/12 at 18:47:58
Post Tools
I too wondered about those numbers.

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

chessbase article comparison of chess and economy
10/07/12 at 17:55:31
Post Tools
here is the article:
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8534

can't help myself, but I can believe what's written there ... especially this note is interesting:
Quote:
In many US cities, for example, good chess teachers earn upwards of $100-$150 per hour. Yesterday’s unemployed chess bum can bring in a six-figure income if he or she is willing to take on enough work. In fact, this is one example where technology might actually have contributed to equalizing incomes. Second-tier chess players who are good teachers often earn as much as top tournament players – or more.

I can believe that 2nd rate players now can make an income that equals that of a good tournament player ... but I almost lol at 100 - 150 $ per hour and 6 figure incomes ... I am not a professional player and I don't know much about chess teaching, but playing myself chess on 2000 plus level and knowing a lot about chess I just can't believe it ... let's face it most normal GM's can concentrate on professional chess, because they have some family who backs them up ... if chess was their only income, they'd go for a normal job imho. ... or they are idealists living a poor life ...
and I don't really believe in the interest in chess ... yes, chess is getting more attention because of internet live transmissions ... but it only draws in players who learned the game in real life ... it fails to attract players with no clubchess background ... and clubchess gets less and less attractive, because you can as well play on the internet and have much more action going on there ... in the end there will be less and less players, but that's just me ...

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo