Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Forum update! (Read 133856 times)
tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Forum update!
Reply #159 - 07/22/14 at 01:48:32
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/17/14 at 21:32:32:
tony37 wrote on 07/17/14 at 15:08:09:
I don't think opening theory is moving that fast that everything written more than 3 months ago is useless  Wink

It depends which opening! Wink
Anyway, it is only a quick search, and looks in all the sections. For a deeper search with more options (a particular section, for instance, or a longer period) there is always the main search.

that search is slow and doesn't give complete results either, only google search gives useful results

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #158 - 07/21/14 at 21:20:18
Post Tools
May I suggest
"QGD" in the 1 d4 d5 board
"Dutch" in the Daring board

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #157 - 07/21/14 at 16:09:32
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 07/20/14 at 22:25:44:
I think the previous date format I chose is no longer available in the new template and hence the date/time could not be displayed.

Apparently there was a bug in the code, too, which I hope has been sorted now. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #156 - 07/21/14 at 12:16:51
Post Tools
dom wrote on 07/20/14 at 16:45:40:
"And for the French sub-threads, the nominees are : "...

Thanks, I've added a few more sub-boards for you! Wink
Hopefully the Forum's organisation will be much better soon, and new subscribers will stop posting new threads when they can post on appropriate old ones instead. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #155 - 07/20/14 at 22:25:44
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/17/14 at 21:39:52:
GabrielGale wrote on 07/17/14 at 21:29:54:
Sorry I mean still "not" getting time and date info which are useful. I am at work and using Firefox and there are no time and date info as well.  Angry

Is this a setting issue? Should I be ticking a box somewhere?  Undecided

Ah, I've just got an answer from the YaBB expert and she asks which Date/Time Format you are using in your User Cp ('Options')?
GeneM too?

THanks Tony for chasing this up. I changed my date format and it worked. I think the previous date format I chose is no longer available in the new template and hence the date/time could not be displayed.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #154 - 07/20/14 at 16:45:40
Post Tools
dom wrote on 07/18/14 at 18:30:53:
I'll try to propose list tomorrow or day after tomorrow ...

"And for the French sub-threads, the nominees are : "...

C12-C14 Mc Cutcheon
C11 Classical Steinitz
C10 Burn Rubinstein Hecht Fort Knox
C09 Universal system
C00-C01 KIA Exchange

gambits (Alekhhine,PP,...) are stored in sub-threads

In some weeks I will "pin" a post in main thread, with a map between the common name of variations, move order and URL sub-threads....
...broad range from the funny ones (Jackal, ...) to the much respected ones.

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Arnaudov

Magnus Carlsen has never
beaten me in a chess
game

Reply #153 - 07/20/14 at 01:21:49
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/19/14 at 01:13:23:
Arnaudov wrote on 07/18/14 at 02:54:58:
Everything is jumbled. It's a mish-mash. Icons and buttons are difficult to find. They are overlaid or overrun with other text and icons. I see that a few others have mentioned it as well as me.

OK, I've got an answer, she says:

Quote:
That's what the page looks like with the old default css file is loaded. Tell them to refresh their browser cache (CTRL F5 usually).

So it looks like this is a good idea for anyone having problems. Smiley

That did it.  Yay! Cheesy Thank you very much, it looks good.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #152 - 07/19/14 at 15:54:13
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/19/14 at 01:13:23:

[quote]That's what the page looks like with the old default css file is loaded. Tell them to refresh their browser cache (CTRL F5 usually).

Thanks! That worked! Finally it's readable again!

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #151 - 07/19/14 at 01:13:23
Post Tools
Everything is jumbled. It's a mish-mash. Icons and buttons are difficult to find. They are overlaid or overrun with other text and icons. I see that a few others have mentioned it as well as me.

Quote:
That's what the page looks like with the old default css file is loaded. Tell them to refresh their browser cache (CTRL F5 usually).

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #150 - 07/18/14 at 18:30:53
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/18/14 at 18:09:09:
I can add some more sub-boards now, which do you suggest are the most important (Classical, obviously, but maybe we can divide this?!) Is the Exchange popular enough (i.e. enough posts?)

I'll try to propose list tomorrow or day after tomorrow ... need time, to choose (according to statistics , books usage ...)

What  will stay in the main thread are to be sure the "C00-C19" posts, general topics (books, authors, players,...)

For pictures : I would like "static GIF" (not animated) or better SVG file (Scalable Vector Graphics picture), with some key-squares with pieces/arrows . They can be produced with chess software and drawing software . For example: Exchange, four squares drawn with white pawns (d4,e4) and black pawns (e6,d5) and arrow from e4 to d5. French : Effel's tower or "Marianne" statue

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #149 - 07/18/14 at 18:15:48
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/18/14 at 17:33:19:
dom wrote on 07/18/14 at 17:26:39:
Viktor's picture display (1.e4 e5 main page)  is not good idea  Cry just as it's included mainly because NOT resizable picture (width and height is always same in pixels when resizing window)....and that's making overlay : text over picture.

Yes, that seems to be a problem with the icons, too. It's easy to alter that, but what I really wanted to know is the Forum's opinion of having photos there instead of the board icons? Undecided
Maybe we should have some board specific icons instead? Smiley

It looks a bit out of place to me, as the authors on chesspublishing are rarely active in their sections on chesspub...
Maybe some kind of animated gifs of diagrams showing the first few moves in the openings covered in each section?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #148 - 07/18/14 at 18:09:09
Post Tools
dom wrote on 07/18/14 at 17:49:55:
How are you getting on with moving the French threads?

1/ I believe my moving job has ended...
2/ I have holes of course in the Cxx-Cyy ranges because there are some main systems uncovered ...and I would have preferred to end with a J.Watson classification (means: like in the updates)...that's why, questions will arise soon : "where is Rubinstein ? universal system ? Exchange ?..."

Great ! Many thanks! Smiley I can add some more sub-boards now, which do you suggest are the most important (Classical, obviously, but maybe we can divide this?!) Is the Exchange popular enough (i.e. enough posts?)

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #147 - 07/18/14 at 17:49:55
Post Tools

1/ I believe my moving job has ended...
2/ I have holes of course in the Cxx-Cyy ranges because there are some main systems uncovered ...and I would have preferred to end with a J.Watson classification (means: like in the updates)...that's why, questions will arise soon : "where is Rubinstein ? universal system ? Exchange ?..."

For the "move menu" I used one trick, because every time I move..I have to go the page N where the move has been done...at the end...I copied the URL and pasted it after the move.

Now, "your move ?"  Smiley (what's next ?) 

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #146 - 07/18/14 at 17:33:19
Post Tools
dom wrote on 07/18/14 at 17:26:39:
Viktor's picture display (1.e4 e5 main page)  is not good idea  Cry just as it's included mainly because NOT resizable picture (width and height is always same in pixels when resizing window)....and that's making overlay : text over picture.

Yes, that seems to be a problem with the icons, too. It's easy to alter that, but what I really wanted to know is the Forum's opinion of having photos there instead of the board icons? Undecided
Maybe we should have some board specific icons instead? Smiley

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #145 - 07/18/14 at 17:26:39
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/18/14 at 00:55:19:
I just wonder whether this is a good idea .. or not? Undecided

I can say for my browser (Firefox 12.0 on Fedora 14..yes, I know old linux..but I want that operating system  Smiley )...

Try to improve: (I don't know how to do because I am old HTML coding..not practicing newYabb forums,css...)...I would try some new embedding (table? forbid resizable parts of window using frame ?..)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo