Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Forum update! (Read 133855 times)
Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: Forum update!
Reply #24 - 11/01/12 at 18:54:46
Post Tools
I don't like tactics puzzles as a way to prove you're not a troll.

Do we really want to test the player's ability to play chess, or their passion for the game?  I thought the goal was to eliminate trolls, not weak players.  Weak players should be welcome here just as strong players are!

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/31/12 at 08:56:20
Post Tools
some chess-related, "dynamic" challenges :

- ask to solve the daily (or a random) shredder quiz (the little blue board we see on every chess blog), at easiest level. You need be able to check if the correct answer was given. If not in the API, it can be asked as a feature to shredder team.

- (development needed) on a playable chessboard, show a starting position and ask to play a given, short  set of moves (4 plies or so), to be checked after user validation againt the expected position. Your starting and final position are picked from fresh games.

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #22 - 10/30/12 at 12:00:01
Post Tools
How many moves does it take for a knigt to travel from g1 to c8?!

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #21 - 10/26/12 at 21:14:28
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/26/12 at 19:10:17:
We'll probably have to proceed by 'trial and error'. At the moment there are a lot of potential spammers joining, I will put some easy chess-related questions first, and if that doesn't work ...

I agree, this seems like a sensible way of doing things.

Michael Ayton wrote on 10/26/12 at 19:27:35:
I wonder if multiple (say 3-5?) fairly easy questions might be an idea. Sure, really determined spammers could google all the answers, but would any bother?

That's a clever and inventive suggestion. I suppose there's a danger that some genuine folk might be put off by the appearance that they have to complete a competence test to qualify for the forum, but perhaps I'm nit-picking here. Certainly an idea to keep in mind, I'd say.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #20 - 10/26/12 at 19:27:35
Post Tools
Trial and error sounds a good approach and hopefully it can lead beyond having to make a potentially invidious choice. I wonder if multiple (say 3-5?) fairly easy questions might be an idea. Sure, really determined spammers could google all the answers, but would any bother? I guess none of us here has any way of knowing the answer to that! (So we could be debarred from joining Spamming Forum ...)

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #19 - 10/26/12 at 19:10:17
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 10/26/12 at 19:05:35:
It ultimately boils down to where you want to draw the line: do you want to risk excluding some people who ideally you'd want to allow through, or do you want to risk letting through some people who you'd rather exclude? Your view on that will have to inform where the question is pitched in terms of difficulty.

We'll probably have to proceed by 'trial and error'. At the moment there are a lot of potential spammers joining, I will put some easy chess-related questions first, and if that doesn't work ...

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #18 - 10/26/12 at 19:05:35
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/26/12 at 18:52:33:
Seeley wrote on 10/26/12 at 16:56:58:
I wonder if it's worth going for something even simpler, such as 'How many squares are there on a chessboard?'

Yes, I've already used this, but I wonder if it is too simple so that 'even' spammers would know the answer!?

That's a fair point, but unless you use something so obscure and difficult that some or perhaps many chess players won't know the answer, then an even slightly determined spammer will be able to google it. It ultimately boils down to where you want to draw the line: do you want to risk excluding some people who ideally you'd want to allow through, or do you want to risk letting through some people who you'd rather exclude? Your view on that will have to inform where the question is pitched in terms of difficulty.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #17 - 10/26/12 at 19:02:33
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 10/26/12 at 00:10:27:
Just wrote a post and found underlining doesn't show, though italics do! I'll try underlining 'underlining' here -- no, still not showing!

Well done! I asked on the YaBB Forum and they've now confirmed it is a bug! They've since published a fix so I will apply it immediately. Smiley

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #16 - 10/26/12 at 18:52:33
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 10/26/12 at 16:56:58:
I wonder if it's worth going for something even simpler, such as 'How many squares are there on a chessboard?'

Yes, I've already used this, but I wonder if it is too simple so that 'even' spammers would know the answer!?

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #15 - 10/26/12 at 17:36:41
Post Tools
How many different move orders lead to the Ruy Lopez, without moving a piece twice? (I avoid to give the answer, so that nobody can google the reply.)

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #14 - 10/26/12 at 16:56:58
Post Tools
TN wrote on 10/26/12 at 14:28:08:
Which piece is referred to as 'this tall thrusting one' in the Cambridge Footlights Revue's parody of the Master Game?

I would've thought this is too obscure, and it could end up denying access to people who you're not trying to exclude.

Jupp53 wrote on 10/26/12 at 16:11:43:
Name three strong from three different countries before Paul Morphy.

Maybe I've misunderstood what is being asked here as there appears to be at least one word missing, but I think this is too hard. Also, a good general principle of quiz-type questions is that they should have a unique answer that can be stated succinctly, whereas this one might give rise to a number of possible solutions. In practice, this means that someone (Tony, presumably) might have to go through the answers to decide which ones are correct. Furthermore, there's a judgment call involved that further muddies the waters: what is 'strong'?

Smyslov_Fan wrote on 10/26/12 at 16:02:06:
If you're gonna ask a chess question, it should be something really simple.

For instance, "Who beat Anatoly Karpov to become the 13th World Champion?"

I quite agree that it should be something simple and I reckon this is more along the right lines, though I wonder if it's worth going for something even simpler, such as 'How many squares are there on a chessboard?'

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #13 - 10/26/12 at 16:11:43
Post Tools
Name three strong players from three different countries before Paul Morphy.

Edit 'players'
« Last Edit: 10/27/12 at 13:55:02 by Jupp53 »  

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #12 - 10/26/12 at 16:02:06
Post Tools
If you're gonna ask a chess question, it should be something really simple.

For instance, "Who beat Anatoly Karpov to become the 13th World Champion?"

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #11 - 10/26/12 at 14:28:08
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/26/12 at 14:23:46:
fling wrote on 10/26/12 at 08:38:56:
Seems like the update allowed spammers anyway Sad

The new anti-spam mods seem to be good at stopping bots, but not humans. Maybe I can change the questions so that some Chess knowledge is required to join, any ideas?

Which piece is referred to as 'this tall thrusting one' in the Cambridge Footlights Revue's parody of the Master Game?

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #10 - 10/26/12 at 14:23:46
Post Tools
fling wrote on 10/26/12 at 08:38:56:
Seems like the update allowed spammers anyway Sad

The new anti-spam mods seem to be good at stopping bots, but not humans. Maybe I can change the questions so that some Chess knowledge is required to join, any ideas?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo