Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Chromebook and Chrome OS (Read 10329 times)
MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Chromebook and Chrome OS
Reply #9 - 03/30/19 at 15:23:17
Post Tools
At present, I'm still accessing Chessbase on my Windows 10 PC desktop and not on my Chromebooks (Acer C720 4gb RAM with Celeron chip and Asus Flip C100p).  I know I could use things other than Chessbase like SCID via Linux.  That said, I like using some of the Chessbase trainers (and have quite a few) and prefer to review some of my Everyman books in CBH over PGN.  I haven't figured out how to access those trainers or the Everyman CBH files outside of Chessbase or Chessbase Light.  PGN and the SCID format are great substitutes for the pure database functions but not the Chessbase functionality for Chessbase trainers and Everyman books.

I dabbled with putting Linux on the Acer C720 to use Wine or equivalent to use Chessbase that way but putting the machine into developer mode defeats the purpose of a Chromebook (i.e., great security).  I've been reading about the Chrome OS Crostini project to allow Linux on Chromebooks in the ordinary course (without going into developer mode) and am thinking about buying a newer Chromebook that will run Android and Crostini alongside the native Chrome OS.  Among other things, this will allow me to ditch my aging desktop PC altogether.  At present, I don't use it anymore beyond Chessbase and use my Chromebook easily for everything else. 

Has anyone successfully used Crostini to run Chessbase or Chessbase Light via a Linux Windows emulator on one of these newer Chromebooks (or via an Android based Windows emulator)?  If so, which Chromebook did you use?  Besides remoting in to my PC from a Chromebook  does anyone have other suggestions on how to do use Chessbase files on a Chromebook?

By the way, if Chessbase is so thoughtful to address Mac users by explaining how to use Parallels or Bootcamp to emulate Windows Chessbase, why can't they do the same with Chromebooks?  It is not as if the Chromebook user base of chess players is that small, especially among school aged players.
« Last Edit: 03/31/19 at 14:34:15 by MaxJudd »  

IP Logged

MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 05/13/18 at 21:39:48
Post Tools
Thanks . . . oh well.  If I ever get around to it and the Wine port to Android rumor is true, I'll try to run Chessbase Reader on Android via Wine and report back. 

Just to confirm, PGN functionality and access to Stockfish etc. are no longer an issue for Android (or Chrome OS proper) and clearly with GalliumOS or any reasonable Linux fork you can get to SCID.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #7 - 05/13/18 at 19:39:03
Post Tools
MaxJudd wrote on 05/13/18 at 18:10:20:
I only care because I like reading Everyman books in Chessbase rather than in PGN.

I assume you mean rather than in PGN app. I hear you. The ChessBase board window + notation window is very well done. Sadly, I don't expect to see ChessBase on anything but Windows in my lifetime. If ChessBase would just port that small portion of the GUI to handle only PGN files, I would pay for it. An early ChessBase Reader for Linux would be great. But like Microsoft under Bill Gates, ChessBase understands their own business model very well.

IP Logged

MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 05/13/18 at 18:10:20
Post Tools
I'm still using my chromebook (and now on my second that runs Android apps).  I'm pretty happy with it for what it is.  It just works and I don't have to be quite as paranoid about malware etc. as with Windows.

On the chess front, with access to Android in addition to Chrome OS, the only downside seems to be no Chessbase without a workaround (e.g., remote desktop or dual boot into a flavor of Linux like GalliumOS and then use Wine).  I only care because I like reading Everyman books in Chessbase rather than in PGN.  Obviously, in a perfect world a book and a board is better but this doesn't work so well all the time.

I read somewhere that Wine for Android is coming or is in beta.    Two questions, has anyone tried this?  Alternatively, is there any hope that Chessbase will produce a flavor for MacOs, ChromeOS, or Linux.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/14 at 11:58:25
Post Tools
BUMP!
I have a Chromebook now, a cool little machine. My work needs are minimal - writing and net access, so it is perfect for that.
Just wondering - anything new in the intervening time on the database-on-Chromebook front?

Thanks all!
B

IP Logged

MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 11/10/12 at 05:44:28
Post Tools
Assuming I can get a copy anytime soon . . . it is sold out on Amazon and at Best Buy at the moment  . . . I'll see how it works out and post back here.  Between dual-booting Ubuntu or Fedora (as you suggest) or using a remote desktop to access my Windows desktop for Aquarium or Chessbase for engine work it might be OK.  At worse, it is $250 for a laptop for things other than chess.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/09/12 at 09:37:37
Post Tools
Well people have got Ubuntu running on the older versions of the hardware so they'll have Linux running on this revision soon enough. (I think they've already played with doing this, but probably best to wait a bit before its reliable!).

Presuming that someone has recompiled the chess stuff for Linux for arm processors (or that you're willing to) then that would cover things well enough. Of course while the processor isn't half bad it still isn't going to be hugely powerful in terms of running chess engines.

Some of the android tablets come in quite cheap, but I have no idea about the chess software there, and to be honest having a decent keyboard/mouse does seem like a good idea for chess database work.

IP Logged

MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 11/09/12 at 02:50:22
Post Tools
Thanks . . . I guess I could run engines remotely on my desktop if need be as long as I have web access and similarly play on the ICC remotely from Blitz-In rather than in some sort of browser window.  On the other hand if I want to review chess material offline, it probably isn't the best way to go unless I take up videos.

That's too bad, the price is about half an Ipad or basic Windows laptop and the new model weighs 2.3 pounds so I was getting excited.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 11/08/12 at 13:03:27
Post Tools
Its a very, very online focused device. Basically you get a web browser and whatever will run within that. So a few things will - almost by accident - run offline but its really not what its designed to do.

So databases to some limited extent, PGN reading probably possible in various ways, engines not really. (Chessbase have some cloud based engine stuff or something?!!?)

If you want to use it for lightweight chess style stuff I'd wait until people have got lightweight linux's running on it properly. I'm not totally sure if I'll do that to mine or leave it as is, because it does work nicely for web browsing etc.

IP Logged

MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

Chromebook and Chrome OS
11/08/12 at 12:44:14
Post Tools
I am thinking about buying one of the new Samsung / Google Chromebooks mainly for online use etc.  Still sometimes I would be offline.  Ideally, I would want to look at PGN files too.  Does anyone know if there is a PGN reader or any chess database or engine software that would run in the Chrome OS?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo