Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need good references for Ruy (Read 5609 times)
alicecooper239
Ex Member

Re: Need good references for Ruy
Reply #10 - 01/03/13 at 06:25:10
Post Tools
Good luck to this projects of yours.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #9 - 12/31/12 at 18:44:59
Post Tools
Zatarra wrote on 12/28/12 at 23:48:27:
I bit the bullet and bought a gold membership for 2013.  Now id like to take the advice of many on here and search through Mr Mo's spanish info.  but search results for "Mr Mo" dont return anything.  Could I possibly get someone pointing me at the right place please?

Thanks

search for annotator "Motwani" - 537 games - stuff enough...

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #8 - 12/29/12 at 00:00:36
Post Tools
Mr. Mo = Paul Motwani

IP Logged

Zatarra
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 12/28/12 at 23:48:27
Post Tools
I bit the bullet and bought a gold membership for 2013.  Now id like to take the advice of many on here and search through Mr Mo's spanish info.  but search results for "Mr Mo" dont return anything.  Could I possibly get someone pointing me at the right place please?

Thanks

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #6 - 11/13/12 at 10:00:10
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 11/13/12 at 09:39:52:
Chesspublishing is best - "amen".

Smiley I have to agree, although the DW-Spanish book has now gone to the printers ...

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Reply #5 - 11/13/12 at 09:39:52
Post Tools
Chesspublishing is best - "amen".

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #4 - 11/13/12 at 08:52:02
Post Tools
Zatarra wrote on 11/11/12 at 15:33:19:
I've taken suggestions on here and obtained Neil McDonald’s 'The Ruy Lopez' move by move, it’s a great resource, but mainly just points to 5. d3 and playing the Worrall attack on occasion.  ...

I am a bit puzzled by your comment above. I mean the first part of the book focuses on early-d3 systems, but the following chapters have a lot of games featuring the various main lines and imo McDonald's comments are quite useful. If you need more detail regarding variations, then 'Mastering the Spanish' won't do (great book though)..

I personally prefer databases to search for specific lines that crop up in my games, or maybe a reference book, e.g. NCO, BCO-type.

Another idea is Khalifman's book 'Opening for White According to Anand 1. e4, Volume 2', which deals with the Spanish, but I have not read it and some lines could be out of date (published in 2003/2004). It is also a repertoire book. Maybe someone else here can comment re Khalifman..

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #3 - 11/11/12 at 18:49:44
Post Tools

If you like DVD material, Bologan has done a 3 volume set on the Ruy for White.

I've watched it, and liked it. Will it improve my play of the Ruy? Only time will tell...

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #2 - 11/11/12 at 17:23:36
Post Tools
How about "Mastering the Spanish" by King and Ponzetto.. Its a book a bit tricky to get since the book if from  1994 but it explains the Ruy Lopez well. It is a middlegame book with Ruy Lopez structures.
« Last Edit: 11/12/12 at 11:53:39 by bragesjo »  
IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Reply #1 - 11/11/12 at 16:58:01
Post Tools
Chesspublishing 1.e4 section - start with "Mr. Mo's" games to have some fun and then find your way through all the variations

IP Logged

Zatarra
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Need good references for Ruy
11/11/12 at 15:33:19
Post Tools
I’m astonished by the immense volumes of information for the black side of all the Ruy variations.  I am interested in some good solid systems/lines for white.  I would assume that with all that work being done for black, that white's advantage must be ominous or why ponder so much about black's solutions to white lines.  However, the well of publishing for white's ideas seems mostly dry.

I've taken suggestions on here and obtained Neil McDonald’s 'The Ruy Lopez' move by move, it’s a great resource, but mainly just points to 5. d3 and playing the Worrall attack on occasion.  I like this book but obviously there are a lot more main and sidelines to focus on.  The more I study the less I seem to find, lol.  It’s to the point where I might begin to ponder 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 d4 and change to the well beaten horse of the scotch game.

While I’m sure there isn’t probably one single book to address my problems here, can I get some more suggestions on resources for this study?  Or shall I just play 3 d4 and move along?

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo