Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What the heck to play against the semi-slav?? (Read 46260 times)
punter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: What the heck to play against the semi-slav??
Reply #35 - 12/13/12 at 16:00:15
Post Tools
Quote:
Show me a line you think gives White an advantage and I'll find the way for Black to get equality.

What do you have vs 7.Qb3?
I guess 7..Qb6 8.Ne5 Nbd7 9.g4 Bg6 10.Ng6 hg6 11.Bg2 g5 12.0-0 Be7
If you don't have any deviations till that point I think black has very difficult task at hand. For now I don't even see how to end up in something not hopeless for black.
Other tries for black as 7...Qc7 or 8..Nfd7 don't look to convincing either but here I didn't analyse too deeply as the positions just look good for white.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #34 - 12/12/12 at 01:17:26
Post Tools
Tolotos wrote on 12/11/12 at 19:18:39:
Maybe he means Topalov-Eljanov 2012?

Yep, that's what I get for going by memory. Eljanov, not Bareev. Silly me.

I also like 11.Qf3 aside from that (it might be more logical) - I still don't think calling the whole continuation with 4...Bg4 an "easy equalizer" is right, at any rate. Engines tend to think it is for awhile, and as the middle game unfolds that often changes, particularly after patient play from white. Such complex positions cannot be diagnosed quickly.

We'll continue to see high level GM clashes for this reason alone.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Tolotos
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #33 - 12/11/12 at 19:18:39
Post Tools
Maybe he means Topalov-Eljanov 2012?

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #32 - 12/11/12 at 13:00:35
Post Tools
I won't have access to my chess computer until the 16th but I'll be sure to give you my lines and thoughts. Meanwhile, I can't find the Topalov game. Can you post it?

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #31 - 12/10/12 at 01:52:27
Post Tools
I'll just say that I've played the Black side of 4...Bg4 against fairly strong players (2000-2200), and never been entirely satisfied with my position.  I agree with Bryan about White's possible best line; White has the two Bishops and while Black is solid, it's not that dynamic for the second player.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #30 - 12/10/12 at 01:05:05
Post Tools
exigentsky wrote on 12/09/12 at 10:26:15:
Without specifics, I remain unswayed. I think Black's task is much easier than in most openings and that White has no advantage after 4. e3 Bg4 5. h3 Bh5.

Countless hours of trying to find even a subtle White advantage forced me to abandon 4. e3. Show me a line you think gives White an advantage and I'll find the way for Black to get equality. 

6.Nc3 e6 7.g4 Bg6 8.Ne5 Nbd7 9.Nxg6 hxg6 10.Bd2 and let's see what you got. If you go with 10...g5 I will recommend white's cause in Topalov-Bareev until an easy improvement on move 15. If you go with 10...Bb4 then I offer 11.Qb3 and meet 11...a5 with 12.cxd5 and 11...Bxc3 I have an improvement in mind over Bareev-Prie. Other moves challenge white considerably less.

This should be interesting if nothing else. I am guessing you believe black has his solution in one of those lines, so which one has your fancy?

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #29 - 12/09/12 at 10:26:15
Post Tools
Without specifics, I remain unswayed. I think Black's task is much easier than in most openings and that White has no advantage after 4. e3 Bg4 5. h3 Bh5.

Countless hours of trying to find even a subtle White advantage forced me to abandon 4. e3. Show me a line you think gives White an advantage and I'll find the way for Black to get equality. 

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #28 - 11/30/12 at 01:38:47
Post Tools
exigentsky wrote on 11/30/12 at 00:04:48:
"4...Bg4 is perhaps the most annoying move to face"

Yes, I've studied this line for Black a lot and it's what put me off the system. As far as I can tell, Bg4 gives Black easy equality and is essentially a refutation of 4. e3 as a serious try to fight for the advantage. I hope I'm wrong because I liked this system but no one has given me a specific line that convinces me otherwise thus far.

4...Bg4 is neither a "refutation of 4.e3 as a try for an advantage" nor an "easy equalizer" in what I've seen in the analysis I've compiled. 5.h3 isn't even close to solved, and most of the critical continuations turn += later on according to engines if white is precise and knows what he's heading towards.

Both sides can be generally satisfied with the results of the opening - white gets an abstract theoretical advantage that might get bigger, while black gets a very solid position that might not crack. The positions are way too complex to pass any concrete judgements of yet.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #27 - 11/30/12 at 00:04:48
Post Tools
"4...Bg4 is perhaps the most annoying move to face"

Yes, I've studied this line for Black a lot and it's what put me off the system. As far as I can tell, Bg4 gives Black easy equality and is essentially a refutation of 4. e3 as a serious try to fight for the advantage. I hope I'm wrong because I liked this system but no one has given me a specific line that convinces me otherwise thus far.

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #26 - 11/28/12 at 18:46:08
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 11/28/12 at 16:14:41:
Sub Master level, I see 5.Bg5 Be7?! almost exclusively.  Which seems strange to me, but I'll take it!

I'm partial to White in the Botvinnik after 5...dc 6.e4 b5 7.e5 h6 8.Bh4 g5 9.ef.  I know it's not much theoretically, but OTB White's play is much easier, he has clear plans and weaknesses in Black's position to try to exploit.  The OP might look there.

In the Moscow, I've always liked 6.Bxf6 Qxf6 7.Qc2!?, which again may not be a ton theoretically but is easier and more fun to play for White, IMO (having played both sides of it).  Yermolinsky has some good analysis in The Road to Chess Improvement to get started here.

Thanks! These both look very interesting.

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #25 - 11/28/12 at 16:14:41
Post Tools
Sub Master level, I see 5.Bg5 Be7?! almost exclusively.  Which seems strange to me, but I'll take it!

I'm partial to White in the Botvinnik after 5...dc 6.e4 b5 7.e5 h6 8.Bh4 g5 9.ef.  I know it's not much theoretically, but OTB White's play is much easier, he has clear plans and weaknesses in Black's position to try to exploit.  The OP might look there.

In the Moscow, I've always liked 6.Bxf6 Qxf6 7.Qc2!?, which again may not be a ton theoretically but is easier and more fun to play for White, IMO (having played both sides of it).  Yermolinsky has some good analysis in The Road to Chess Improvement to get started here.

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #24 - 11/28/12 at 10:52:01
Post Tools
Well, Grynfeld has been solved: 1.Nf3
Wink

P.S. There is 1.Nf3 d5 2.c4 c6 3.e3!? (see Delchev's book) but I think it is artificial, and 2.-d4! = is a real problem.

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 11/28/12 at 10:14:45
Post Tools
Its the same position with the Grunfeld though Smiley

In both cases you've got a mass of perfectly acceptable, objectively dangerous, interesting, tries for white which have all accumulated quite massive amounts of theory. Of course blacks position is very sound too.

This is how chess is in main line openings Smiley

So the basic problem lies in picking something that interests you/suits your style. Don't super obsess about what the final evaluation may or may not be. Its almost certainly drawn.

Like with the meran main lines. Massively theoretical and ultimately drawn? Probably. But there's an absolutely massive amount of very interesting chess content in there. Well worth studying and playing for a bit.

IP Logged

punter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 11/28/12 at 09:04:01
Post Tools
It really depends on how much theory you want to learn and what kind of position you like.
It seems like you don't like "Mayhem" although if you are happy to learn some theory I think you will welcome Botvinnik in your games. Most of the time you will see 5...h6 though and then you have 101 ways to make black suffer in Moscow relatively risk free as well.
Overall in Slav I think black suffers in mainline as well as side lines. This thread would be better about Grunfeld Smiley

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #21 - 11/28/12 at 03:19:50
Post Tools
Vass wrote on 11/27/12 at 18:54:51:
If we're looking at engine evaluations, the best seems to be the Slow Slav. But the difference between +0.22 and +0.05 is practically nothing in the OTB chess.
As for the correspondence chess, the significance is mainly psychological..  Wink

It depends on the position that the engine is evaluating for +0.05 to +0.22 to be significant. Some of those are a lot easier to play OTB than others. Wink

As for correspondence, the number means very little as we both know. Smiley

Now, on the Slow Slav point punter mentioned - I am assuming you were referring to 4...Bg4 (6...Bg4 doesn't make sense to me) and all I can reply is that I only like white in a particular line there.

The Noteboom move order isn't insurmountable. I prefer something different from Avrukh, but don't feel like spending too much time on the point. I think move this is a case of move order begets move order, and that's all I'll say.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo