Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ChessBase 12 has arrived! (Read 71600 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: ChessBase 12 has arrived!
Reply #44 - 12/25/12 at 15:40:06
Post Tools
Vass wrote on 12/24/12 at 21:24:46:
"Let's check", "Cloud analysis" and "Deep position analysis" are amongst the good things you can acquire with this CB12

Yes, these functions seem by far the most interesting, although I often wonder who really needs such analysing power? As a professional I need a strong machine to help writing books/annotating games for articles, and also when preparing something new for a very strong GM opponent ... but even I don't need this very often!

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #43 - 12/25/12 at 15:35:41
Post Tools
Vass wrote on 12/24/12 at 21:24:46:
By the way, if someone uses two different versions of CB on one computer can expect such behaviour from the program we talk about. Both versions of CB may use some common files and therefore the user may experience some crashes.

I have loads of different versions on my main PC, I kept them mostly for testing purposes, but maybe I should remove some of the older ones! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #42 - 12/25/12 at 12:00:27
Post Tools
@ Harvey Williamson
Well, I'm a little bit addicted to that CB program..  Embarrassed
There's no better program for working with databases, imho.

IP Logged

Harvey Williamson

Reply #41 - 12/25/12 at 00:38:39
Post Tools
Vass wrote on 12/24/12 at 21:38:23:
fling wrote on 12/24/12 at 21:29:15:
Vass, what is funny is that on my desktop, I did a clean install, with just CB11. There I have the most problems. On my laptop, I mistakenly installed both. And CB11 works better on it... But I still have the problem with the program freezing sometimes when accessing the reference database (on both computers).

I know, I know..and I'm not surprised at all!
And you're not the only one, fling. Many users from various computer chess forums report back about their "crash experience" with this CB12.  Roll Eyes

All I can suggest is that you buy Hiarcs Chess Explorer for a fraction of the price of Chessbase Smiley http://www.hiarcs.com/chess-explorer.htm

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #40 - 12/24/12 at 21:38:23
Post Tools
fling wrote on 12/24/12 at 21:29:15:
Vass, what is funny is that on my desktop, I did a clean install, with just CB11. There I have the most problems. On my laptop, I mistakenly installed both. And CB11 works better on it... But I still have the problem with the program freezing sometimes when accessing the reference database (on both computers).

I know, I know..and I'm not surprised at all!
And you're not the only one, fling. Many users from various computer chess forums report back about their "crash experience" with this CB12.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 12/24/12 at 21:29:15
Post Tools

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 12/24/12 at 21:24:46
Post Tools
Well, I never experienced crashes with CB12.
It's true that I use this program only to work with my databases and this may be the only reason for this.
By the way, if someone uses two different versions of CB on one computer can expect such behaviour from the program we talk about. Both versions of CB may use some common files and therefore the user may experience some crashes.
I never install two versions of a program on one computer. For example, I have my CB11 on my PC, while CB12 happily lives on my laptop. And they both work as expected.
Anyway, I'm not telling that this is the only reason for a CB program can crash. No, not at all! Some users say that they never buy new programs right after their release. They usually wait for three to six months after the release and then buy it (obviously, when some updates were installed).
It's not an unique situation. ChessOK recently released their new version of the mighty program called Aquarium. Some users experienced problems with it, reported back.. And now this company is preparing its official update, soon to be released. As for Chessbase, we know that they did it twice with CB12 already.  Roll Eyes
And now let me say what I see, good or bad, with this CB12!
Working with databases now is slower than in CB11 (but better, they say from ChessBase). It's obvious that they prepared their new product for high-end processors like Intel 7's and greater values of RAM. It's a matter of politics these days. Higher program requirements raise the new computers sales, you know.. So, buy a new PC in order to use the new program!  Roll Eyes
And now the goodies:
"Let's check", "Cloud analysis" and "Deep position analysis" are amongst the good things you can acquire with this CB12, thus not needing the Fritz 13 GUI at all.  Smiley

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #37 - 12/24/12 at 20:30:11
Post Tools
I've had numerous crashes. It usually happens when I try to access the Reference database via the Reference tab in the game window. But there are many other times the program stops working or almost freezes. Like when the screen saver goes on while I have an engine running. Annoying program.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #36 - 12/24/12 at 11:17:33
Post Tools
supposedly wrote on 12/24/12 at 02:02:28:
I've seen some tepid reviews in this thread already. Have things changed much in Chessbase 12 in the game editing department? Does it still crash, lock up, delete your games, save them incorrectly, etc?

I've only had two crashes so far, one of them when I tried to create a PGN file, and the other when copying games, but I guess they will sort these problems out pretty soon.
For serious work I still use a stable 2009 version of CB10.

IP Logged

supposedly
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 12/24/12 at 02:02:28
Post Tools
I have used older versions of Chessbase 7 and also Chessbase Light Premium. The older software seems plagued by crashes and bugs, particuarly while editing games, which is the only reason I purchased it.

I've seen some tepid reviews in this thread already. Have things changed much in Chessbase 12 in the game editing department? Does it still crash, lock up, delete your games, save them incorrectly, etc?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 12/21/12 at 13:06:36
Post Tools
Ah, this sounds like an improvement I would appreciate because it could save me some time. I have often wanted to search the reference database and another base. The rest I am not sure I need. I'll likely stick to CB11 for a while anyway.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #33 - 12/21/12 at 12:46:00
Post Tools
One small improvement is that you can now change the 'Reference database' temporarily 'on the fly' - this is like changing the 'Source' in Hiarcs Explorer (although not as good - and you can't use PGN databases).
Anyway, this could be a useful addition for the ChessPub playable eBooks - set it to reference itself.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 12/19/12 at 13:22:24
Post Tools
It seems you've entered in the so called "cloud analysis". I'm not experienced at it, but what I tried was the "deep analysis".
Well, I expected much, much more. What I mean?
No options (or I don't know where they are), just some iterations like we're in the "slow course"...and only 4 to 5 plys in 4 possible variations in return.  Huh
What I expected? Just an improved version of, say, Fritz 13's deep analysis option. Not much, I suppose.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #31 - 12/19/12 at 12:41:10
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/17/12 at 21:18:50:
I've just tried this (the cloud thingy) but didn't seem to get too far, kept saying I was a guest although I seemed to be logged in.

I think we actually have to pay to use the cloud computers, with ducats.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #30 - 12/18/12 at 13:00:19
Post Tools
I guess it's natural to moan about the things we don't like when we get a new version, but what about the big new improvements? Undecided
I tried the deep position analysis yesterday, and it looked interesting: 3 different engines somehow sharing the analysis, anyone else try this?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo