Latest Updates:
Normal Topic struck today (Read 5226 times)
Jonathan Berger
YaBB Newbies

http://www.baligu.co
m/the-master-game.ht
ml

Re: struck today
Reply #5 - 01/09/13 at 02:26:04
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 01/08/13 at 22:59:28:
Wow. I have to commend you for the effort....You're a better man than I Gunga Din.

Ha! Yes, I don't expect it to be easy.

I've had some exciting progress just in the flurry of activity today. I managed to get in touch with Stewart Reuben, who was an arbiter for the show in 1983 and has published a book with Bill Hartston, one of the show's commentators.

Stewart mentioned that someone is working with the BBC to publish a DVD but it is unclear who or when.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #4 - 01/08/13 at 22:59:28
Post Tools
Wow. I have to commend you for the effort....You're a better man than I Gunga Din.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Jonathan Berger
YaBB Newbies

http://www.baligu.co
m/the-master-game.ht
ml

Reply #3 - 01/08/13 at 20:36:49
Post Tools
I've really enjoyed The Master Game episodes as well. Some of favorites were the ones with Seirawan vs. Karpov, when Seirawan would start complaining how hot the room was. Listening to Larsen's thoughts was amazing too because he seemed to choose atypical moves intentionally to confuse his opponent.

I'm starting an effort to make these old episodes available again. It seems the only way to accomplish this permanently is to get in touch with the BBC. If anyone can help with this, please let me know. So far, I've managed to get in touch with Sirbob1 as well as the main author of the Wikipedia page, Pokeround.

I've started a page on my personal site to coordinate this effort, which I expect to be slow. You can find the page and a way to get in touch there on Baligu.com (I can't post the link here yet due to being a new member, but it's available in my profile).

It would be great to make these episodes available again and revive this small bit of history.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #2 - 12/26/12 at 18:27:20
Post Tools
I understand yanking My Story since it is commercially available. It's a real shame about the Master Game episodes though. I went through all of them and really enjoyed them.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 12/26/12 at 17:54:36
Post Tools
Yeh I noticed that the majority of his videos were deleted couple months back. Very annoying, had some real gems on there. Was funny to see Short as a teenager, also the great Tony Miles. They also took out NorthernUnion's upload of Kasparov's My Story. They did have the decency to leave his upload of the Kasparov vs Karpov world champ match though (downloaded them off youtube onto my harddrive in case they change their mind).

Just saw this very funny chess video today (taking the micky out of the Short vs Kasparov WC match): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZV1bpMamCtY

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

struck today
12/14/12 at 20:58:20
Post Tools
I was struck today by the insanity of our world. Sirbob1's account on youtube was closed (he had a bunch of "The Master Game" from the BBC shows) because he displayed episodes from a Chess tv show that no one is making money from...Meanwhile anyone with mental problems can arm themselves like Chuck Norris and shoot people. Well, that is at least in my country.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo