Latest Updates:
Normal Topic What are you thankful for in 2012? (Read 3943 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: What are you thankful for in 2012?
Reply #7 - 12/26/12 at 02:54:01
Post Tools
I am thankful to my devoted wife of 44 years for her love, companionship, help and forbearance. As an atheist I do not embrace the notion of thankfulness to any higher power. That I have been quite fortunate in many ways in this world I attribute mostly to chance, fate, and my own hard work. I am deeply grateful, of course, to various people who significantly helped me along the way, not all of whom still exist.

With specific reference to this year, I am happy that a chess website that my brother and I have been working on for two years will be going live very soon,

probably by year's end.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #6 - 12/25/12 at 20:06:26
Post Tools
For me it was like Bill above (be well!), only the patient was my father. So far so good, but it makes you think about a lot of things, esp. your priorities in life.. Luckily my little daughter helped me see what real life was when we were kids and I am thankful of that..

Merry Christmas to everybody Smiley

P.S.: @LostTactic: very sad to hear your story - I wish you good health for you and the other members of your family

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #5 - 12/24/12 at 17:12:34
Post Tools
I'm thankful and it was a great joy for me to encounter 30 years later the same chess set that I learned the first movements of the pieces at a neighbour´s house without knowing then the name, origin or the rich story related to Robert Fischer. I love the simple beauty of this set and I understand now very well when Fischer said in a radio program that this was his favorite set from several he had played all his life. It was a kind of magic to look at a big picture of the set on my computer, 30 years later and starting to have a flashback in far away forgotten memories in my youth and rebuild those memories again. Now, it is time to continue my personal story with this set with many hours of great joy and hapiness and maybe one day, to teach a kid for the first time with the same set that I learned and give this set as a legacy to my family.

Merry Christmas to all chesspublishing members.  Smiley

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 12/24/12 at 14:42:27
Post Tools
I've been pretty content this year, up till the 13th of November when my dad rang me up and told me my youngest brother Matthew had died. Still not really sunk in yet (probably will do a bit more tomorrow), I've just buried myself in my University and Chess study the last month to take my mind off it. I am thankful though that I still have my: mum, dad, remaining brother Martin and Uni Counsellor Myra. I still have Martin's 4 month tour in Afghanistan to look forward to in a few months, I'm not a religous person but I will be praying everyday and if he does come home safe I will start believing.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 12/24/12 at 12:42:10
Post Tools
I'm thankful that I don't believe in any god so that all my thanks are for the many people who have been good for me in 2012 - they are the ones who deserve them.
As for my entire existence - I am thankful it's not infinite.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/24/12 at 09:37:50
Post Tools
I'm thankful for staying alive and well after a car accident this year.
It was a tough year for me, but I think we always have to find the good in the bad.
So thank God for all this!

IP Logged

Eclectico

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 12/23/12 at 20:29:23
Post Tools
My family has done this ritual for eons.  Nice idea to do it publicly.

I would like to thank the turkey who gave it's life so I can get fat on Christmas eve:)

I am thankful that the doomsday prophecies were incorrect abot 12/21/2012!

I am thankful I have taken up a hobby which allows me to share a joy of learning with so many interesting people.

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

What are you thankful for in 2012?
12/22/12 at 18:35:52
Post Tools
The holiday season can be an enjoyable time of rest and fun with family and friends but it can also be a difficult time for people who have experienced loss or face challenges with health or other types of problems.  I was thinking it would be an encouragement for all our forum members if people wanted to share something that they are particularly thankful for in the past year.

What inspired me to suggest this is my own experience in 2012.  Early in the year I received the unpleasant surprise of a cancer diagnosis, experienced the anxiety of testing and treatment options, underwent surgery and difficult recovery and am now happy to report that I am cancer free! Smiley  One of the things that helped me through it were people who shared their own journeys with me.  My story has turned out as well as I could have hoped for, but I know many others who have not had such a positive outcome or are still battling one of the most difficult opponents we will ever face.  As a result of my experience it has made me even more thankful for my God, friends and family and the opportunity to enjoy activities like sports, music or chess (and ChessPublishing.com!) that I may have taken for granted in the past.

Merry Christmas.

Bill

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo