Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mayhem in the Morra. (Read 38481 times)
NiceNike
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Mayhem in the Morra.
Reply #33 - 11/09/21 at 00:59:20
Post Tools
ok

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #32 - 05/02/13 at 14:36:46
Post Tools
Any line of play, gambit or otherwise, can be considered sound only if it does not promise disadvantage with best play (saying that a move is "unsound" presupposes not only that it leads to disadvantage, but also the existence of an alternative line of play that is not unsound; we do not say that any given move in a lost position is "unsound").  If someone publishes a convincing analysis of the Morra that produces minus-over-plus no matter how White twists and turns, I will say that it is unsound.  I say, for example, that the Schliemann with 4.Nc3 fxe4 5.Nxe4 d5 is unsound. 

"=+" can be a little bit subjective, but there is truth in chess, and if the vast majority of strong players say "=+", I will believe it in spite a few people denying it.  If best play leads to "=+", we might say that the line is "borderline unsound."  I say that the BDG is borderline unsound.  I don't know whether the Morra is, though Esserman's book is a strong argument that it isn't.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 04/18/13 at 13:11:22
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 04/18/13 at 10:05:03:
This question applies to every single opening, so it can't be a reason to approach gambits in a different way, either positively or negatively. Examples:

Schaakhamster wrote on 04/18/13 at 09:34:08:
some people might prefer to have the extra material, others might prefer the compensation in the same position.

Some people might prefer to play with an IQP, others might prefer to play against it in the same position.
Some people might prefer build a broad centre, others might prefer to counterattack it in the same position.
Etc. etc.

Thus gambits are nothing special.

True,

even within the broad category of gambit there a substantial differences. But my issue had more to do with Markovich's definition of a sound move.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #30 - 04/18/13 at 10:05:03
Post Tools
This question applies to every single opening, so it can't be a reason to approach gambits in a different way, either positively or negatively. Examples:

Schaakhamster wrote on 04/18/13 at 09:34:08:
some people might prefer to have the extra material, others might prefer the compensation in the same position.

Some people might prefer to play with an IQP, others might prefer to play against it in the same position.
Some people might prefer build a broad centre, others might prefer to counterattack it in the same position.
Etc. etc.

Thus gambits are nothing special.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 04/18/13 at 10:04:47
Post Tools
That's the sort of problem. The only truly objective measure is win/loss/draw. And nearly everything halfway sane will be a draw Smiley

Perhaps you could define some objective measure based on how 'tight' the subsequent path to a draw is in terms of moves retaining it? First X moves from a computer or something.

That still wouldn't really correspond to human play of course.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 04/18/13 at 09:34:08
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 04/11/13 at 00:50:18:
Regardless of the merit of the Morra, I think we can all agree that a move is sound if and only if does not lead, with best play, to disadvantage.

but what is a disadvantage? It depends how you value certain characteristics of the position. And that isn't an objective evaluation: some people might prefer to have the extra material, others might prefer the compensation in the same position.

IP Logged

Michel Barbaut

Do. Or do not. There is
no try

Reply #27 - 04/18/13 at 08:12:46
Post Tools
I agree, but isn't it even more true when speaking about gambits ?

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #26 - 04/11/13 at 08:26:48
Post Tools
Michel Barbaut wrote on 04/11/13 at 07:55:03:
[quote author=103C2F36322B343E355D0 link=1356355657/24#24 date=1365641418]In the battle of the opening each side try to obtain the best development, the best control of the centre, space advantage, more harmonious placed pieces, and so on. In general, it’s impossible to obtain all this without leaving something to your opponent. This is why some players use to play gambits … in order to have some tempo/space bonus advantage.
Unlike all concrete and calculable sacrifices, gambits aim for long term compensations where the proof of the correction is analytically impossible to do. This is why a sacrifice represents a technical way while a gambit is rather a way of play. As most part of the compensations are temporary and short-lived it’s important to develop and convert them in advantages.”

So trying to prove sufficient compensation or not is somewhat irrelevant. You play gambit or not, you like it or not, you win with it or not, but finding the ultimate truth is a never ending story.

But isn't the same true for non-gambits? After all, material is just another positional feature. It's just the nature of chess that finding definite truth is likely to stay out of reach in most cases.

It shouldn't stop us from trying to find a consensus on whether some line is slightly worse or equal though.

IP Logged

Michel Barbaut

Do. Or do not. There is
no try

Reply #25 - 04/11/13 at 07:55:03
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 04/11/13 at 00:50:18:
Regardless of the merit of the Morra, I think we can all agree that a move is sound if and only if does not lead, with best play, to disadvantage.

I completely agree. But you say “a move” … that’s not an (idea in an) opening. I would like to add the final following  comment.
In his book, « Strategic play in the opening », I.M Volodia Vaisman gives some useful explanations in chapter 14 titled « Gambit Play » :
“In the battle of the opening each side try to obtain the best development, the best control of the centre, space advantage, more harmonious placed pieces, and so on. In general, it’s impossible to obtain all this without leaving something to your opponent. This is why some players use to play gambits … in order to have some tempo/space bonus advantage.
Unlike all concrete and calculable sacrifices, gambits aim for long term compensations where the proof of the correction is analytically impossible to do. This is why a sacrifice represents a technical way while a gambit is rather a way of play. As most part of the compensations are temporary and short-lived it’s important to develop and convert them in advantages.”

So trying to prove sufficient compensation or not is somewhat irrelevant. You play gambit or not, you like it or not, you win with it or not, but finding the ultimate truth is a never ending story.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #24 - 04/11/13 at 00:50:18
Post Tools

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Michel Barbaut

Do. Or do not. There is
no try

Reply #23 - 04/10/13 at 22:01:22
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 04/10/13 at 14:29:04:
Michel Barbaut wrote on 04/10/13 at 14:19:59:
Gambit is not a crime !  Cheesy

Save me your silly strawman. It's not funny as a joke either.
Great. Esserman is one titled chessplayer who thinks the Morra Gambit is sound. Know what? I think the same. But I don't close my eyes for the fact that this is far from consensus among titled players. So I prefer not to rely on Esserman's authority - an authority you cherry picked.
That's three logical fallacies in one post of yours.
Congratulations.

Sorry to say that, but I believe more Esserman's authority than your !
Among titled players ... they declined it most of the time by 3...d3 or transpose in to a 2.c3 sicilian .... so where are fallacies ?
Wink

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 04/10/13 at 14:42:49
Post Tools
A rather sloppy definition yes and probably even the wrong word to be defining Smiley Fully respectable better than sound I suppose.

Think it'd very hard to capture formally as so very much is objectively drawn, so you have to have a subjective component somewhere.

Pedantically, the Nardojf would probably be just about OK - there are plenty of lines worked out to dead draws with a small chance of black going wrong on the way. Finding something more durably workable than that can be a problem!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #21 - 04/10/13 at 14:29:04
Post Tools
Michel Barbaut wrote on 04/10/13 at 14:19:59:

Save me your silly strawman. It's not funny as a joke either.
Great. Esserman is one titled chessplayer who thinks the Morra Gambit is sound. Know what? I think the same. But I don't close my eyes for the fact that this is far from consensus among titled players. So I prefer not to rely on Esserman's authority - an authority you cherry picked.
That's three logical fallacies in one post of yours.
Congratulations.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Michel Barbaut

Do. Or do not. There is
no try

Reply #20 - 04/10/13 at 14:19:59
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 04/10/13 at 14:07:40:
[quote author=7B5744425F5875360 link=1356355657/16#16 date=1365583024]Well for white a sound opening should at least hover between += and =.

...No double standards please. If White can prove sufficient compensation in the Morra Gambit, even if this means a forced draw, it's sound. If Black can prove a slight edge it's unsound. As we can agree that this matter is not settled yet we might call it dubious.

Ask Esserman or read his book!  Wink
And what is "this matter is not settle yet" ? I agree if it's about Black to prove a slight edge .... because Black has none I think !

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #19 - 04/10/13 at 14:07:40
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 04/10/13 at 08:37:04:
Well for white a sound opening should at least hover between += and =.

This implies that White doesn't have sound moves anymore after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6. Or possibly your definition is sloppy.
No double standards please. If White can prove sufficient compensation in the Morra Gambit, even if this means a forced draw, it's sound. If Black can prove a slight edge it's unsound. As we can agree that this matter is not settled yet we might call it dubious.
For Black we may drop the bar a little lower. The Noteboom is sound according to Scherbakov as White cannot prove more than a slight edge. Accortding to this standard the Von Hennig-Schara Gambit is sound too, at least according to Bronznik.

Schaakhamster wrote on 04/10/13 at 11:48:58:
There are about a gazillion sensible defenses against it out there. It is still a game of chess but the burden is on white to make stuff happen. Otherwise black will be up a shiny pawn.

This summarizes my objection to the Morra Gambit.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo