Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) C12: Mainline McCutcheon (Read 19307 times)
Uberdecker
God Member

Re: C12: Mainline McCutcheon
Reply #5 - 01/20/13 at 21:41:27
Post Tools
sloughter wrote on 01/20/13 at 20:57:31:
I'm confused why isn't Black just equal after 8...Kf8?

8. ...Kf8 is the main (only) alternative to 8. ...g6, often employed by Kortchnoï. I don"t think it has been clearly established which is the better move, but the advantages and drawbacks are quite clear. Black avoids weakening his Kingside structure but commits his King to a poor square.
Anyway, an assessment of "just equal" doesn't make any sense in this sort of position. Black has a lot of work to do before he can claim equality and White must not be complacent either. It's a sharp stuggle.

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 01/20/13 at 21:38:22
Post Tools
8...Kf8 is indeed one of the two principle choices for Black second only to 8...g6.  In practice 8...g6 shows up about 57% of the time while 8...Kf8 about 39%.  Both are valid options and have been played by top players, but 8...g6 is perhaps a bit more dynamic (and risker) as it leaves open the option of queenside castling at the cost of weakening his kingside pawns (which may also be advanced in some lines with the rooks behind them.)  8...Kf8 avoids the weakening of the dark squares but makes it a bit harder for Black to activate his rooks.  With both lines Black has good chances for equality - and perhaps more.

IP Logged

sloughter
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/20/13 at 20:57:31
Post Tools
WSS wrote on 01/20/13 at 02:54:46:
I was studying the mainline MacCutcheon and was surprised that 15...gxh5 seems playable.  I don't think it offers Black as much 15...g5, but I thought I'd "throw it out there" in case there were any thoughts / ideas from our French forum members on either line (and because the French forum has been too quiet lately!  Wink)  Vive la France!  Bill

Edited:
Edited to add ECO code and correct the spelling of the variation. ~SF January 20, 2013

I'm confused why isn't Black just equal after 8...Kf8?

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Mainline McCutcheon
Reply #2 - 01/20/13 at 12:12:23
Post Tools
It seems as though Black has just enough time to reposition his pieces effectively to stem White's attack even though it looks scary.  16...Rf8 is a necessary defense of f7 to allow time for ....a6 and ...Ba6 exchanging the light square bishop.  It always amazes me how resilient the Black side of the French can be.

Of course since i came down with a dreary head cold this weekend I could well be missing something.  After 27...Kxe7 I was assuming that Black's advanced passed pawn would be offset by White's connected passed f- and g-pawns.  Black would attempt to control the advance of those pawns with his king and rook while creating a second (connected) passed pawn on the queenside.  Perhaps there is an endgame guru on the forum who could determine whether or not that peters out to a draw?
« Last Edit: 01/20/13 at 21:39:58 by WSS »  

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Mainline MacCutcheon
Reply #1 - 01/20/13 at 10:22:59
Post Tools
Goodness knows. This stuff always leaves me very confused! It doesn't look as logical as g5 of course but then again you are wiping out whites passed pawn.

Obviously many more options than just that one line Smiley Is there some good reason why 16.. Rf8 rather than Bd7 or something? Or the Ng5 x f7 stuff or..... Just scary.

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

C12: Mainline McCutcheon
01/20/13 at 02:54:46
Post Tools
I was studying the mainline McCutcheon and was surprised that 15...gxh5 seems playable.  I don't think it offers Black as much 15...g5, but I thought I'd "throw it out there" in case there were any thoughts / ideas from our French forum members on either line (and because the French forum has been too quiet lately!  Wink)  Vive la France!  Bill

Edited:
Edited to add ECO code and correct the spelling of the variation. ~SF January 20, 2013
« Last Edit: 01/20/13 at 21:39:34 by WSS »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo