Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Viktor Moskalenko: The Perfect Pirc-Modern (Read 40865 times)
dimis
Ex Member

Re: Viktor Moskalenko: The Perfect Pirc-Modern
Reply #30 - 06/10/13 at 17:36:57
Post Tools
Michel Barbaut wrote on 02/19/13 at 09:53:26:
Just arrived ... seems very good, like others Moskalenko books,  but I don't find the system  4.Nf3 5.h3 6.Be3 (after 1.e4,d6 2.d4,Nf6 3.Nc3,g6), what I'm missing ?

I thing he analyses   a similar position (with pawn at c6       ) at game 15, I do not remember now other point.
I like the style of the book as he gives games rather than variations so we see and the middle game positions...
Me also I thing it is a good idea to  use it as  1-2 other books  to understud the Pirc/Modern defence

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #29 - 02/26/13 at 15:21:06
Post Tools
6...c5 7. d5 e5 looks a bit suspect to me.  I notice that Speelman, playing Velimirovic in 1983, was willing to give Black that position with an extra tempo (7...e6 8. Bc4 e5 9. Be2).

IP Logged

agropop

Use your brain

Reply #28 - 02/26/13 at 10:20:31
Post Tools
Nc6 leads to interesting positions, maybe white has a pull but it's a game. I'm not an expert in the variation but as i said before i think that the coverage of the clasical is not exhaustive in Moskalenko's book.

The following game is well comented in modern editions of Gligoric's I play v.s. pieces. The legendary grandmaster considered his opening play most accurate v.s black's set up.

A bit more detail about this handling of the variation with white would have been nice.

IP Logged

parisestmagique

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 02/26/13 at 09:10:06
Post Tools
I am not convinced by game 32 but i think the critical line is in the notes (... b5!?). What do you think of the line : 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Be2 0-0 6.0-0 c5 7.d5 e5 Wink. Ok the computer does not like it at all for Black  Cry, but after Ne8 and f5 it's a game, what is your assesment ?

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #26 - 02/25/13 at 19:15:03
Post Tools
parisestmagique wrote on 02/25/13 at 17:26:35:
The book is very interesting and well produced. I did not found any equaliser against the "Karpovian" 5.Be2(!) for exemple but some ideas to confuse White. The author is not saying by the way that the Pirc garanty equal play.

Not convinced by Game 32? 6. ...Bg4 has been my main move and best scorer in my Pirc games.

Or the c6 systems, which are kind of Breyer like balance?

I have given 6. ...c5 a punt once, not checked his analysis of it yet.

And he also spends some time on the provocative 6. ...Nc6!?

I seem to see much less of the Karpov Krew than I did twenty years ago!

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #25 - 02/25/13 at 17:54:46
Post Tools
It would seem surprising to me if he doesn't essentially portray Black as able to equalize against the Classical.  From the sample pages, I thought he might be not showing an edge for White even against 6...Nc6.

IP Logged

parisestmagique

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 02/25/13 at 17:26:35
Post Tools
The book is very interesting and well produced. I did not found any equaliser against the "Karpovian" 5.Be2(!) for exemple but some ideas to confuse White. The author is not saying by the way that the Pirc garanty equal play.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #23 - 02/19/13 at 20:14:07
Post Tools
Michel Barbaut wrote on 02/19/13 at 09:53:26:
Just arrived ... seems very good, like others Moskalenko books,  but I don't find the system  4.Nf3 5.h3 6.Be3 (after 1.e4,d6 2.d4,Nf6 3.Nc3,g6), what I'm missing ?

You are missing the Pirc in Black and White  Wink

Haven't found this line myself either, but then I see this book as a set of interesting weapons to add to an existing repertoire and an array of pitfalls to avoid and weed out, rather than a stand alone repertoire book.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

Michel Barbaut

Do. Or do not. There is
no try

Reply #22 - 02/19/13 at 09:53:26
Post Tools

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #21 - 02/19/13 at 00:13:46
Post Tools
Maybe you Pirc players are the new target of the chess opening industrial complex   Cheesy

http://www.chessbase-shop.com/en/products/bojkov_attacking_with_the_pirc

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #20 - 02/18/13 at 14:51:51
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 02/18/13 at 10:46:50:
agropop wrote on 02/15/13 at 10:33:59:
Sometimes we trust too much in opening books. As a starting point a good book is enough but you have to develop your own opinions, look for alternative variations if something doesn't suit you well, do your independent work...not relying too much on the engine, etc, etc. And of course, enjoy the process!

Excellent point agropop, I've been trying to say the same on here for years, welcome aboard!

That is indeed the essence of good preparation: to develop your own theory.

But as to the Pirc, there seem to me to be so many ways for White to play for the win!  Black's burden against a good opponent seems rather heavy.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #19 - 02/18/13 at 13:51:37
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 02/17/13 at 18:03:21:
agropop wrote on 02/13/13 at 09:11:16:
¿?
Well, if the !? sign is so annoying i can edit the previous  post. BTW I was giving my opinion about the book. My apologies

No worries, and I did find your post informative.  I can't help adding that I see that Moskalenko gives 6...Nc6 7. e5 de 8. fe Nh5"!?".  As far as I know, that has been the main move there for 40+ years, since soon after Fischer mentioned it in My 60 Memorable Games

To me, the !? used here indicates that of the choices available to Black, this is one of the better ones, but the line still isn't any guarantee of equality, i.e. an interesting try, even if obviously, not a new one.

I'm liking the book the more I read it and I'm finding his assessments interesting !?

For example, the Austrian 6...Nc6 7. 0-0 Bg4, your engine and your reading of PiB&W might give you some optimism, but his GM assessment is, too passive, don't go there.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #18 - 02/18/13 at 10:46:50
Post Tools
agropop wrote on 02/15/13 at 10:33:59:
Sometimes we trust too much in opening books. As a starting point a good book is enough but you have to develop your own opinions, look for alternative variations if something doesn't suit you well, do your independent work...not relying too much on the engine, etc, etc. And of course, enjoy the process!

Excellent point agropop, I've been trying to say the same on here for years, welcome aboard!

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #17 - 02/18/13 at 06:44:24
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 02/17/13 at 18:03:21:
¿?
Well, if the !? sign is so annoying i can edit the previous  post. BTW I was giving my opinion about the book. My apologies

No worries, and I did find your post informative.  I can't help adding that I see that Moskalenko gives 6...Nc6 7. e5 de 8. fe Nh5"!?".  As far as I know, that has been the main move there for 40+ years, since soon after Fischer mentioned it in My 60 Memorable Games

Indeed 1.e4!!?? d6!? (1.-b6?!!, 1.-a6??!!, 1.-g5???!!!) Cheesy

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #16 - 02/17/13 at 18:03:21
Post Tools
¿?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo