Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Viktor Moskalenko: The Perfect Pirc-Modern (Read 40873 times)
agropop

Use your brain

Re: Viktor Moskalenko: The Perfect Pirc-Modern
Reply #15 - 02/15/13 at 10:33:59
Post Tools
parisestmagique wrote on 02/14/13 at 21:33:52:
in the books it's always good for Black but in practice, you just see White making mistakes and you dont often get the better game" i can add at the difference of the sicilian defense where a white mistake often cost dearly.

Yes, this is probably true. But a black mistake in the sicilian is often the last as well!
Sometimes we trust too much in opening books. As a starting point a good book is enough but you have to develop your own opinions, look for alternative variations if something doesn't suit you well, do your independent work...not relying too much on the engine, etc, etc. And of course, enjoy the process!

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 02/14/13 at 21:46:32
Post Tools
parisestmagique wrote on 02/14/13 at 21:33:52:
Maybe because it's easy to classify and maybe bacause it's not so tactical (except in the Austrian attack).

I don´t think that´s true. There are so many transpositional possibilities in many lines which make it actually quite a difficult opening to master.

For example, look at Vigus´ try to organize the material after 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Be3 in his books on the Pirc. That´s one reason why the Pirc/Modern is unsuitable for weaker players.

You need a good understanding of a lot of subtle points to play these openings well.

IP Logged

parisestmagique

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 02/14/13 at 21:33:52
Post Tools
Hi, i dont have the book yet. Just some thoughts, i wonder why there is so much books about the Pirc and modern, i must have at least 10 at home. Maybe because it's easy to classify and maybe bacause it's not so tactical (except in the Austrian attack). I will always remember a quote about the Pirc by a french Master " in the books it's always good for Black but in practice, you just see White making mistakes and you dont often get the better game" i can add at the difference of the sicilian defense where a white mistake often cost dearly.

IP Logged

agropop

Use your brain

Reply #12 - 02/13/13 at 09:11:16
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 02/12/13 at 16:44:13:
Well, 5...0-0 6. Bd3 Nc6 is traditionally one of the very main lines of the Austrian, though I suppose it may be the usual view of recent years that White should be able to get an edge against it.  (Recently in Informator and NIC Yearbook I have seen "!?" affixed to 1. e4, 1. g3, and 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5. h3 0-0 6. Bg5 c5.  Maybe we could agree that chess as a whole is interesting, or come up with a new symbol meaning "is not interesting/doesn't deserve further attention," or something -- just for variety.)

¿?
Well, if the !? sign is so annoying i can edit the previous  post. BTW I was giving my opinion about the book. My apologies

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #11 - 02/12/13 at 16:53:53
Post Tools
agropop wrote on 02/12/13 at 15:47:06:
I'm looking forward having enough time to make a serious work for improving (towards perfection?  Wink) my Pirc/modern!

You've pretty much summed up my thoughts on this book too.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #10 - 02/12/13 at 16:44:13
Post Tools
Well, 5...0-0 6. Bd3 Nc6 is traditionally one of the very main lines of the Austrian, though I suppose it may be the usual view of recent years that White should be able to get an edge against it.  (Recently in Informator and NIC Yearbook I have seen "!?" affixed to 1. e4, 1. g3, and 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5. h3 0-0 6. Bg5 c5.  Maybe we could agree that chess as a whole is interesting, or come up with a new symbol meaning "is not interesting/doesn't deserve further attention," or something -- just for variety.)

IP Logged

agropop

Use your brain

Reply #9 - 02/12/13 at 15:47:06
Post Tools
I already have the book and I can say that i had what I expected. The austrian attack and 4. Bg5 chapters are just great. The author advocates,in the austrian, the 5...0-0 6. Bd3 Nc6!? line but also covers 6...Na6 with great detail. As I already had an opinion about this concrete line this was the first chapter I checked and I can say that is high standard.

I haven't got Vigus but previously had read Pirc Alert and I was a bit disappointed with the theoretical part, not only because it's dated (something unavoidable) but also with the lines chosen and the lack of detail in some critical lines...excessive optimism (I don't need to be misled, i already have bought the book  Tongue) In these aspects I believe this book is far better, and like other Moskalenko's books, there are lot of interesting  ideas (new or few tested) everywhere, which makes a very dense reading. One can find answers but new questions are opened in return.

The only Thing I didn't like is that the chapter devoted to lines with 4.Be3 and Qd2 focuses IMO too much in the sämich approach, flexible lines with Be3-Qd2 and short castling are briefly covered. And maybe more detail could be devoted to the classical system. Anyway Tiger-style lines with a6 and Gurgenizde set-ups are also covered. I'm looking forward having enough time to make a serious work for improving (towards perfection?  Wink) my Pirc/modern!

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #8 - 02/12/13 at 01:00:40
Post Tools
1. Yes, well worth getting.
2. Both P and M.

IP Logged

Anon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 02/11/13 at 23:00:04
Post Tools
Is the book is worthwhile even if you own the chess developments book by Vigus (which by the way seems a pretty good summary of recent developments)?

Is the coverage of Be3 lines by Victor focus on modern move orders or both Pirc & Modern?

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #6 - 02/11/13 at 21:05:22
Post Tools

I need to spend more time with this book, but I really like what I see so far. Every page seems to be brimming with ideas.

Curse you Moskalenko, I'm going to have to keep playing the Pirc  Angry

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 01/27/13 at 16:37:52
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 01/27/13 at 13:55:20:
Ah well, I've already ordered it Roll Eyes

Me too. Smiley

But at least against 1.e4 I play 1...e5 more often than 1...d6/g6.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #4 - 01/27/13 at 13:55:20
Post Tools
PatzerKing wrote on 01/27/13 at 13:01:18:
Sorry, for not explaininng my "problem" deeply enough.

Seems more like you are describing a solution, rather than a problem, Patzer King, and and you aren't alone in using it.

Personally, I mostly use the Pirc move order to deny White some KID variations when I go for that transpositon, and also to allow me to plat the 3. ...c6 Czech. But the Modern mover order, and transposing to the Pirc (which I identify as when Black plays Nf6) or Modern (moving Ng8 somewhere else or delaying it) as desired is an alternative. I am hoping Moskalenko adopts this approch.

I spent last year learning some new openings and trying to wean myself of my obsession with fianchettoing my King's Bishop, but books like this don't help  Wink

Ah well, I've already ordered it Roll Eyes

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/27/13 at 13:01:18
Post Tools
Sorry, for not explaininng my "problem" deeply enough. My approch is to start every game with 1...g6, 2...Lg7, 3...d6 and then to decide to enter the Pirc or the Modern.
I don´t like entering the Pirc after 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 d6 4.Be3 Nf6 5.Qd2 and now:
A) 5...0-0 6.0-0-0 c6 7.f3 b5 8.Bh6. I faced this OTB and analyzed this and it is hard to play against it with Black. Reading the DW or CD book, didn´t changed my opinion.
B) 5...c6 6.Bh6

So, I have to play the Modern which is ok for me.
Of course it is my point of view, other people could have other opinions about the different lines.
By the way I like 4...a6 in the Pirc to play against 4.Le3, which is analyzed very good in CD:The Pirc by Mr. Vigus.
The second (and last) line where I do not know if I should play the Pirc or Modern is the Austrian Attack. At the moment I like more the Pirc to play against the Austrian Attack. Against all others variations I like plaing both (Pirc and Modern).

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 01/26/13 at 16:59:59
Post Tools
PatzerKing wrote on 01/26/13 at 09:10:50:
I am also eager to see how he solves “my” Pirc/Modern move-order problem: 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 d6 4.Be3. In this variation I have to play the Modern because otherwise I have to play against the Argentinian Attack which is a problem after an early Bh6 after each side have castled.

I don't entirely get this. First you might take a look at Dangerous Weapon, chapter 1. Second Black doesn't have to castle after 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 d6 4.Be3 Nf6 5.Qd2. Third if you play this move order you don't even have to play ...Nf6. Black has several other more useful moves: ...c6; ....b5; ...Nb8-d7-b6. I'd say that ...Bg7 is more useful here than ...Nf6. I'd say that after 4.Be3 c6 5.f4 Black faces more problems than after 5.Qd2.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 01/26/13 at 13:04:46
Post Tools
Looking at the excerpt it seems to me Moskalenko concentrates more on the Pirc move order and the Modern is relegated to the notes.

At least the TOC suggests he only covers the Pirc against the Austrian Attack.

Against 4.Be3 the Modern move order is definitely more flexible. Personally in the past I have always chosen to delay the development of the knight on g8 to sidestep some dangerous lines.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo