Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Chess Book Review blog (Read 336765 times)
proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Re: Chess Book Review blog
Reply #282 - 03/01/17 at 22:47:14
Post Tools
A review of Gustafsson's recent video series on the Nimzo.

https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/gustis-nimzo/

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #281 - 02/02/17 at 05:13:30
Post Tools
I think this is accurate. The book feels a little scattered to me - the chapter on Petrosian, for instance, feels very random. You do get some admonitions on not relying on the engine, knowing classics, etc, but I never felt like Gelfand really explained how his intuition grew and took shape. And it's not for lack of trying.

Again, this is not to say that the book isn't very good, because it is. I just think the subject matter makes it a tough row to hoe.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #280 - 02/01/17 at 22:41:52
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 02/01/17 at 17:04:57:
My February review of Gelfand's Dynamic Decision Making in Chess.

https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/2017/02/01/gelfands-lofty-standard/

Interesting review, thanks for this. I hadn't planned on buying this one, but now I may do so (eventually).

Do I read you correctly that there's a discrepancy between what Gelfand intended to explain and what actually comes across in the book?

Quote:
[...] but to me it is more interesting to talk about how we find the moves in the first place. This is the key to playing better chess. – Gelfand

Quote:
[...] there is nothing to my eye that explains how Gelfand senses dynamism in a position. He just does, and more than that is hard to explain. – Hartmann

To my thinking the trick to getting the absolute most out of a book like this must be to somehow reverse engineer Gelfand's intuition: To determine what games and patterns (or more realistically, what kinds of patterns) he must have stored in his subconscious in order to think the way he does, and also how he has otherwise trained his decision making to make full use of these patterns in practice, under time constraints.

In the first book he was specific about some of this, i.e. learning a lot from the games of Rubinstein, Smyslov and other greats. But it sounds like he's less specific here, so anyone who wants to take a (long!) shot at emulating his thinking has more blanks to fill in this time?

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #279 - 02/01/17 at 17:04:57
Post Tools
My February review of Gelfand's Dynamic Decision Making in Chess.

https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/2017/02/01/gelfands-lofty-standard/

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #278 - 01/14/17 at 17:06:24
Post Tools
Oh, and I had nothing to do with the formatting. The program links are to the US Chess equipment vendor because the article is on the US Chess website.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #277 - 01/14/17 at 17:04:45
Post Tools
I get it, Bond, you don't agree. And that's fine. But I'd suggest you read a bit more closely, as (a) I acknowledge the financial barriers that exist and (b) work to discuss free and open-source software for Mac and Linux throughout. In fact, I specify which programs are free / open-source and also identify data sources that are free.

I think that a modern player who wants to seriously improve does herself a disservice if she ignores the modern technology available to her. This doesn't seem controversial to me. Absent a coach - which, again, is a finanical burden - the computer can be a great assistive tool.

As to other ways to improve discussed here, well, let me say that you'll have to wait for my book. Smiley

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #276 - 01/14/17 at 14:10:41
Post Tools
Haven't read the article but my suggestion for players seeking to improve would be to see how moves fit together. As plans. And how different plans at different stages win games.
1. Read Irving Chernev's books. Great stuff.
2. Read through and play through GM game collections (E.g Fischer, Botvinnik, Keres, Smyslov was my random playlist when younger). Play through hundreds of classic games with notes.

Throw in regular tactics work as a must and hey presto. Strategy and tactics. Win more!

IP Logged

msiipola

Reply #275 - 01/14/17 at 10:31:55
Post Tools
In my chess club are several older men with ratings between 1900-2000. None had computers when they learned chess. So it's possible to be a relative good player without computers.

My self has used all the technical stuff available, and my rating has never been over 1500. Due to the computers or not. I don't know.

But if you don't have access to a coach, what's the alternative to using computers? Do chess engines do more harm then good if you want to improve?

IP Logged

Bondefanger

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #274 - 01/14/17 at 08:40:31
Post Tools
The opening question of your article is
"What is the single best thing you can do to improve your chess in this new year?"

and your answer is in bold
"Answer: Make use of chess technology in your improvement plan."

First of all, I think that no-one should ever put something like that in bold. How and why someone improves in chess, and others don't, and how the latter can become the former, is a very hard problem that many brilliant people has been agonizing over their entire adulthood. I'm wary of people who speak with certainity about this. Especially if they aren't improving dramatically themselves (but actually also if they are - the De La Massa guy comes to mind).

Secondly, I'm not convinced it is the correct answer. I could think of many arguably equally good answers, IE
Answer: Get a training partner at around your level. Play training games from whatever position you find interesting
Answer: Play more and longer games. (Preferably as many as the junior players are playing)
Answer: Work your way through one of the Jussupow-books (that is the answer one could get on the qualitychess website Wink)
Answer: Start playing correspondence chess.
Answer: Gather all the games you have lost, and try to figure out what your weaknesses are.
Answer: Start using a coach and go over all your losses with him
etc.

In the next lines you say that you are "amazed" that there are people who doesn't use chess engines (and other software) in their attempts to improve. Perhaps it is a language thing, but to me it has the connotation that you think those people are absolutely bonkers. And I don't think that they are. Perhaps they just don't enjoy working with computers? The training process should be enjoyable.
There have been many generations of chessplayers where the talented kids have skyrocketed without having access to computers. Even though I myself train with computers, I don't thinkt It is unreasonable for others to think that they could become strong players without.

Next you go on with specific recommendations, and lets consider a class-player who does train a little bit with his computer, but he has a Mac. He uses Scid to work on his own games, and on the games from the fine chesspublishing site Wink. He does not have a large database of games. If he need that, he uses one of the many online databases. (I believe there is one on chess24. Otherwise he could be using the one on chess.com). His chess-engine is an old one, that was strong 5 years ago.

What is the advice he will walk away with, after reading the article?
1. Get a windows pc with 8gb ram and ssd drive. (500$)
2. Get Chessbase 14 and Mega Database 2017 (300$ as a bundle if one follows the direct link to a store in your article)
3. Get a newer engine. (Free? I'm a bit unsure if you recommend using Komodo as well as Stockfish. There are logos and store-links to all the commercial ones in your article. If you do, then add 90$)

So somewhere between 800 and 890$, but for what rating-gains? I think very little, if any at all.

Now ReneDescartes says that this surely isn't what you are saying, but it seems to me that it is. I think this article looks like a shopping list.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #273 - 01/14/17 at 03:57:12
Post Tools
My rating is at the highest it has ever been, thank you very much. It is modest, but still, I'm proud.

How much of it do I attribute to the computer? Some. It's a tool that allows me to be more productive in less time and more organized to boot. That's valuable.

Solving has also helped, as has increased access to good literature via the reviews. But in the end, working harder and smarter is probably the most proxmiate cause, with the smarter part at least in part due to the tech.

Bondefanger wrote on 01/13/17 at 16:17:09:
proustiskeen wrote on 01/13/17 at 04:14:45:
Here's a two-parter I wrote for US Chess Online about chess tech. Enjoy!

https://new.uschess.org/news/five-chess-tech-tips-for-the-new-year-part-1/

Everyone wants to be a little bit better at chess, and everyone wants to hear that they can improve by spending a little money, instead of doing hard work. A lot of snake-oil salesmen know this, and are preying on us.

Their diagnosis of the reasons behing our shortcommings vary according to what they have to sell.

Read a chesspublishers newsletter and you get the impression that what is holding you back is a lack of knowledge, and you should buy these 3 new books to improve.

Read the ICC newsletter and you will know, that all you need to do is to buy videoseries and one-year memberships.

Read the articles on chessbase.com, and you will know, that it is your antiqued chessengine, your out-of-date megabase (without the last years of important games), and your lack of chessdatabase with cloud functionality that is the cause of your stagnating rating.

It looks like you have been listening to the last camp.

Assuming you have improved at all the last few years, how much of your improvement will you ascribe to your tech-rig?

Me, personally, very little.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #272 - 01/14/17 at 03:54:22
Post Tools
Rene - that last bit might be the best compliment I've received for my chess writing. Thank you.

ReneDescartes wrote on 01/13/17 at 19:01:18:

That seems a little harsh. If you have human trainer and human training partners, then I would conjecture that computers will not do much for you as a class player. But if you don't...then I fail to see a good substitute for, for example, playing out checkmate with knight and bishop against an engine. Working hard without a computer is obviously better than not working hard and using a computer--but working hard with a computer can do some useful things that used to be impossible or much more onerous without one.

For example, I did a bunch of work using a database and engine on a not-particularly-offbeat line I play in the French. I worked hard on it, developed some original theory, and got a good understanding of what is thematic in the middlegame structures that arise, even though there is no book on it. Now I win quite a few games in that line, not so much from my opening analysis as from understanding the themes.

Now: would it have been better just to study endgames or tactics from books instead? Who knows? I do that too. But Hartmann is surely not saying that computers are a magic key! Read his review of, for example, Gelfand's Positional Decision-Makingand you'll see that quite the contrary is true. Underneath the informal tone, he thinks subtly, like a philosopher--which he is.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #271 - 01/13/17 at 19:01:18
Post Tools

That seems a little harsh. If you have human trainer and human training partners, then I would conjecture that computers will not do much for you as a class player. But if you don't...then I fail to see a good substitute for, for example, playing out checkmate with knight and bishop against an engine. Working hard without a computer is obviously better than not working hard and using a computer--but working hard with a computer can do some useful things that used to be impossible or much more onerous without one.

For example, I did a bunch of work using a database and engine on a not-particularly-offbeat line I play in the French. I worked hard on it, developed some original theory, and got a good understanding of what is thematic in the middlegame structures that arise, even though there is no book on it. Now I win quite a few games in that line, not so much from my opening analysis as from understanding the themes.

Now: would it have been better just to study endgames or tactics from books instead? Who knows? I do that too. But Hartmann is surely not saying that computers are a magic key! Read his review of, for example, Gelfand's Positional Decision-Makingand you'll see that quite the contrary is true. Underneath the informal tone, he thinks subtly, like a philosopher--which he is.

IP Logged

Bondefanger

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #270 - 01/13/17 at 16:17:09
Post Tools

Everyone wants to be a little bit better at chess, and everyone wants to hear that they can improve by spending a little money, instead of doing hard work. A lot of snake-oil salesmen know this, and are preying on us.

Their diagnosis of the reasons behing our shortcommings vary according to what they have to sell.

Read a chesspublishers newsletter and you get the impression that what is holding you back is a lack of knowledge, and you should buy these 3 new books to improve.

Read the ICC newsletter and you will know, that all you need to do is to buy videoseries and one-year memberships.

Read the articles on chessbase.com, and you will know, that it is your antiqued chessengine, your out-of-date megabase (without the last years of important games), and your lack of chessdatabase with cloud functionality that is the cause of your stagnating rating.

Assuming you have improved at all the last few years, how much of your improvement will you ascribe to your tech-rig?

Me, personally, very little.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #269 - 01/13/17 at 04:17:03
Post Tools
...and when did I get to be a God Member? Oh the power!

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #268 - 01/13/17 at 04:15:10
Post Tools
I will, in a week or so, put the same thing up on my blog with a few more links included.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo