Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) C10: The Rubinstein-Variation - Books for Black (Read 29807 times)
MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: C10: The Rubinstein-Variation - Books for Black
Reply #23 - 07/15/18 at 19:05:06
Post Tools
Trouble with USCF and Staunton the shipping price to my part of the world is often more than the book...., hence I won't buy from either of these suppliers.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #22 - 07/12/18 at 13:49:05
Post Tools
House of Staunton is the contracted vendor for USCF.
https://www.houseofstaunton.com/french-defense-the-solid-rubinstein-variation-2n...
https://www.uscfsales.com/french-defense-the-solid-rubinstein-variation-2nd-edit...

Amazon says "Only 5 left in stock - order soon. Ships from and sold by The House of Staunton."

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 07/12/18 at 04:27:40
Post Tools
It is also available from House of Staunton on their E-bay site.

Book Depository say it will be available from them in three days....

I haven't seen an excerpt for the second edition to compare with the first edition....Asked  the publisher on three occasions whether they were going to put an excerpt to the second edition on  their website but got no response.

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 07/11/18 at 16:22:15
Post Tools
I see it is available from the USCF. Says it is in stock and ready to ship.

https://www.uscfsales.com/french-defense-the-solid-rubinstein-variation-2nd-edit...

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #19 - 07/11/18 at 13:50:03
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/02/18 at 22:15:00:
It says June, but I have not seen the title on Coming Soon section of chess shop yet. Is there any news lately ?

Two weeks ago on the Homepage of Russell Enterprises the title moved from „upcoming titles“ to „current titles“.
But so far no chess shop in North America or Europe seem to have it on stock!?
Now someone who should know (involved in distributing chess books) told me that the book will be available
only in October or November?!

tracke Smiley

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #18 - 06/02/18 at 22:15:00
Post Tools
It says June, but I have not seen the title on Coming Soon section of chess shop yet. Is there any news lately ?

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #17 - 03/22/18 at 11:22:42
Post Tools
Hallo!

Russell Enterprises has announced a second edition of Langrock´s book for June 2018
"revised and expanded with 35% more material" , 278 pages (instead of 208), $25

https://www.russell-enterprises.com/upcoming-publications/french-defensebthe-sol...

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 09/27/15 at 19:17:57
Post Tools
Sylvester wrote on 09/27/15 at 00:49:26:
But the fact that it will be and the fact that this thread will be around after it does makes your comment stagnant. These threads are not so time dependant.

Took me a minute or two to realize that this was actually initiated by me once upon a time. I ended up never playing the rubinstein french but instead picked up the petroff which still serves me well Smiley. I got the book in question as a gift but only used to it to check if my preparation with white is in any danger ...

IP Logged

Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

Reply #15 - 09/27/15 at 00:49:26
Post Tools
But the fact that it will be and the fact that this thread will be around after it does makes your comment stagnant. These threads are not so time dependant.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #14 - 08/06/14 at 18:48:11
Post Tools
tracke, as you know that won't be published until October. Hard to recommend a book that hasn't been published yet.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #13 - 08/06/14 at 13:37:13
Post Tools

IP Logged

pellik
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 03/27/13 at 17:21:17
Post Tools
I've been using Vitiugov's book as my primary source on the French for some time now, and I really like the style in which it presents information. I can't comment directly on the quality of the lines in the Rubinstein, but for everything else in the book he does an excellent job at providing you with enough useful information to explain the positions. The explanations themselves aren't so useful, but the non-bold annotations addressing why moves are played are usually there at right times.
I'd recommend it to any French player.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #11 - 03/09/13 at 00:19:20
Post Tools
fling wrote on 02/21/13 at 08:15:48:
Be aware that the DVD is not actually about the Fort Knox-variation, but rather just the pawn structure, e6-c6 for Black vs c4-d4 for White. It can be, and is often, reached even via Queen's pawn openings.

I can add that Lars Bo Hansen's book "How Chess Games are Won and Lost" also discusses this pawn structure in some detail.  LBH says he preferred to aim for that structure as Black so he may be a potential role model if that's what you're going for.  Probably Soltis's Pawn Structure Chess covers it too, but that is a book I'm not familiar with.

Speaking of Soltis, he wrote the old book "Fighting French" covering 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.QN-x dxe4 4.Nxe4 Nf6 covering structures with Nxf6 or Bg5xf6 and gxf6.  Blacks plan is f5, Bb7 (after either b6 or Morozevich's a6 and b5), often with Nd7 and c7-c5.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #10 - 03/08/13 at 19:58:33
Post Tools
Fromper wrote on 03/08/13 at 19:30:47:
Maybe 10 years ago, I picked up a book called "Action Chess" by CJS Purdy, which is a collection of his articles where he recommended an opening repertoire that could be learned quickly and easily without much study. His recommendation included the Rubenstein French, but with a very early Be7 that I haven't seen anywhere else. The line is 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3/d2 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Be7. Anyone know about this line? Has it stood the test of time?

I know that it has been addressed by such sources as ECO, NCO and Psakhis.  I believe that, not surprisingly, it is generally regarded as leading to "+=" with best play and as sometimes transposing to 4...Nd7.

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #9 - 03/08/13 at 19:30:47
Post Tools
Since everyone's focused on McDonald's book and the Fort Knox variation, what about other lines of the Rubenstien?

Maybe 10 years ago, I picked up a book called "Action Chess" by CJS Purdy, which is a collection of his articles where he recommended an opening repertoire that could be learned quickly and easily without much study. His recommendation included the Rubenstein French, but with a very early Be7 that I haven't seen anywhere else. The line is 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3/d2 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Be7. Anyone know about this line? Has it stood the test of time?

Personally, I stopped playing the Rubenstein because I found it boring, and stick to the MacCutcheon/Steinitz these days.

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo