Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Forward Chess for Ipad (Read 85571 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Forward Chess for Ipad
Reply #70 - 09/17/13 at 09:50:53
Post Tools
Let's not go too far off topic here.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #69 - 09/16/13 at 11:58:37
Post Tools
In the end its all opinion and preferences. I like the 6.Bg5 provoking ...h6 and ...h5 even though the same position can come about numerous ways and through the normal Benoni. Its a positional system for White, maybe it doesnt promise much but I might as well give an example about what I'm on about:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.f3 0-0 6.Bg5 c5 7.d5 e6 8.Qd2 exd5 9.cxd5 h6 10.Be3 Re8 11.Nge2 Nbd7 12.Nc1 a6 13.a4 h5 14.Be2 Nh7
15.0-0 Ne5 16.Rb1 f5 17.b4

I prefer White, but all 3 results are possible. I prefer this way putting the Knight on c1 instead of g3. This Knight is the only problem with Whites setup (Black must be careful not to play an early ...Nbd7 allowing Nh3-f2). For this reason I also agree with Semkov - the idea Ne2-c3 tries to solve this Knight problem through a clever move order, although of course creates a mountain of other issues.

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #68 - 09/16/13 at 11:28:46
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 09/16/13 at 08:56:42:
Disagree with Semkov on this one about 6.Bg5 - " Black plays ...e6, exd5,h6-h5-h4 with excellent play". Its a valid opinion, but that position is a standard Benoni position in which White can score well if he understands what he is doing.

The book which I edited, contained material about this structure - after c7-c5/d4-d5. It implied that Black had no problems if he gets it without any concession. Since it was a repertoire book, I decided to throw out these pages. I left only the most principled approach: 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.f3 and now: if 3...c5 4.d5 (Black gets the structure, but White's queen's knight is still on b1 so White plays Ng1-e2-c3 and Bg5! which is strong here); if 3...Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nc3 0-0 6.Be3 c5 7.Nge2 Nc6 8.d5 - here the black knight lands prematurely on e5. There is a more tricky move order - 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.f3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Ne2!?  which keeps the option of Bg5 open while delaying Nbc3. It is covered separately. All this belongs to the Daring Defences furum, but apparently there are no new questions about ForwardChess so I'm filling in the gap.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #67 - 09/16/13 at 08:56:42
Post Tools
Disagree with Semkov on this one about 6.Bg5 - " Black plays ...e6, exd5,h6-h5-h4 with excellent play". Its a valid opinion, but that position is a standard Benoni position in which White can score well if he understands what he is doing.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #66 - 09/14/13 at 16:16:53
Post Tools
6.Nge2 is a very interesting idea as well, postponing the development of the Bishop for another move to see what Black does.  I agree that there are times after I put the Bishop on g5 that I wish the Bishop were on e3 (in Panno-like lines, mostly).  But then, there are many times after I put the Bishop on e3 that I wish it were on g5!

I probably don't have a strong enough grasp of the theory to really debate with Semkov.  Suffice it to say that this whole line (6.Be3 c5! and 6.Bg5 c5) is considered more-or-less fine for Black.  In theory, of course; practice is a different matter. 

With 6.Bg5, White can play in Averbakh-style at times, and he avoids some of Black's options (6...e5, for instance).  The move is interesting and poses Black unique problems when compared to 6.Be3.  Often times positions are reached that look very similar to "regular" (6.Be3) lines, but there are subtle nuances in White's favor; if Black plays in standard fashion, he gets in trouble.  There are a lot of interesting ideas in here, and some players did incredibly well with 6.Bg5--Sadler, Dreev, Lautier, Yusupov...

In the end it's a game of chess, and at the very worst for White, it's equal.  But I think Black still has problems to solve, and it's not quite as simple as just playing ...h7-h6 and ...h6-h5-h4 quickly.  It all depends on move orders, but sometimes the Knight goes to f4, sometimes to c1, etc.  I agree that if it goes to g3 too early in some lines Black gets excellent play. 

So...I dunno.  I think that it's an excellent practical weapon that hasn't been covered well in the literature.  Following Bologan's recommendation, for instance, will get Black in a lot of trouble (in my opinion). 

It's as good an option as anything else (I don't find 6.Be3 Nc6 7.Nge2 very inspiring for White, though I'd still prefer taking the White side here), poses unique problems, is not well-covered in the literature from either side; it sounds like a great practical weapon to me.  I think the main reason that many top-level players have moved on is not that it's inferior to other lines, but rather that most of the most interesting ideas were explored back in the 90s.  I suspect some time in the future (10 years?), some top-level players will pick it up again, with some new ideas for White.  That's the way chess goes...

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #65 - 09/14/13 at 11:42:23
Post Tools
Well, life is rarely so easy.

Fair point that Be3 is more popular, of course, but Semkov san's reply oversimplifies a little I feel. And the book they have published, is not about Bg5 lines, and that's cool. And it looks a good book (I have not had time on it yet).

I remember Sadler playing like this when he was active originally. I hesitate to say '...with good results' as he was a very strong player with a remarkable work ethic and would have good results with most things, but...he did well with it.

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #64 - 09/14/13 at 10:01:15
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 09/12/13 at 17:31:21:
Off-topic but since you brought it up, I'm interested in this.  I think that I could write a very good manual on how to play the 6.Bg5 Saemisch King's Indian, which I've scored very heavily with over the years and which I don't think is covered all that well in the literature--it usually receives short treatment in Saemisch books, which focus on 6.Be3. 

This short treatment is for a reason - after 6.Bg5 c5 7.d5, Black plays ...e6, exd5,h6-h5-h4 with excellent play. That's why all the top players prefer 6.Be3 c5 7.Nge2! to provoke 7...Nc6 - covered in The Ultimate Anti-Grunfeld. I do not see any advantage of 6.Bg5 over 6.Be3 in most major systems against the Samisch.

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #63 - 09/14/13 at 09:54:09
Post Tools
FC team is toying with the idea of introducing support for pgn files. Thus publishers that have pgn books will not have to spend money on conversion while they will benefit from the copy protection features of FC.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #62 - 09/13/13 at 16:21:20
Post Tools
Well I have a lot of work to do to get .pgn files in order, etc., but maybe I'll check back in a month or so.  It shouldn't take me too long to get a first draft done; maybe 40 hours?  I'm not sure, but I'll start making a stab at it and see how it comes along. 

My personal life is somewhat up in the air at the moment--I'm travelling, helping take care of my injured sister, need to start looking for a new job, etc--so I don't know how much time I'll have to devote to it.  I'm not making any promises, but we'll see what happens.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #61 - 09/13/13 at 14:28:40
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 09/13/13 at 02:30:12:
Re format, possibles:
1) pgn - easy but difficult to read especially if lots of variations (Everyman Chess Viewer is an example) and difficult to insert text.
2) cbv - can insert text and read like an ebook BUT format is proprietary and restricted to PCs;
3) ebook in pdf? or epub or mobi - can sell this via ChessPub;
4) iBook - can even embed video clips - but has to sell this via Apple iTunes.

I would be willing to pay more than 2 dollars for a good e-book.

I am not interested in Apple iTunes, though, because it is one of the reasons I stopped using iPhone...

Pdf is not a good e-book IMHO.

If only CBH would be better accessible on other platforms than PC. Currently, there are no really good alternative on Tablets, but I like Forward chess despite its flaws. PGN-files work ok with Chess PGN Master.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #60 - 09/13/13 at 10:05:51
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 09/13/13 at 02:30:12:
Pricing is key:
1) would Tony be happy with processing $0.99 or $1.99 purchases? admin costs?

It's easy enough to setup an online shop these days, but whether there would be much point for just one item ... of course, this might start a trend from Forum members and there might soon be lots of eBooks for sale.
Otherwise, you could always collect the money directly using PayPal, say, and send a download link.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #59 - 09/13/13 at 02:30:12
Post Tools
Thanks Tony, ErictheRed and Lee Roth.
@ErictheRed, I was thinking of your earlier remarks but did not wish to sound pushy.
Not sure where to put this new thread? Moderators?
Or perhaps we should take this off-line ......

Re format, possibles:
1) pgn - easy but difficult to read especially if lots of variations (Everyman Chess Viewer is an example) and difficult to insert text.
2) cbv - can insert text and read like an ebook BUT format is proprietary and restricted to PCs;
3) ebook in pdf? or epub or mobi - can sell this via ChessPub;
4) iBook - can even embed video clips - but has to sell this via Apple iTunes.

I am happy to assist with editing for pdf/epub. I am presently playing around with iBook.

Re content:
1) If you are only looking at one var: 6.Bg5 Saemisch King's Indian, but you have lots of notes, perhaps an idea would be subdivide into smaller chunks and sell each for $0.99.
Should be guided by e+chess/NIC partnership and its SOS chps for $1.99. (http://eplusbooks.com/sos-files-new-in-chess

Pricing is key:
1) would Tony be happy with processing $0.99 or $1.99 purchases? admin costs?
« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 03:38:23 by GabrielGale »  

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #58 - 09/12/13 at 22:25:00
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 09/12/13 at 17:31:21:
GabrielGale wrote on 09/09/13 at 23:01:40:
PS. Some time ago, I floated the idea that ChessPubbers who are very experienced in certain openings and variations should produce an e-interactive book and sell for $1.99. This is exactly what e-chess and NIC has done with its SOS series. Perhaps Tony Kosten will be happy to facilitate? I think ChessPubber Micawber's excellent (Thanks Micawber!) KG files is a very good candidate to trial this!

Off-topic but since you brought it up, I'm interested in this.  I think that I could write a very good manual on how to play the 6.Bg5 Saemisch King's Indian, which I've scored very heavily with over the years and which I don't think is covered all that well in the literature--it usually receives short treatment in Saemisch books, which focus on 6.Be3. 

It would be more of a "practical manual" than a theoretical work (though of course it would cover the theory as well), and I think it could be of great help to club players.  I would cover a lot of ideas that are encountered frequently in club play that don't get mentioned in the books; for instance, how should White handle the rapid attack on the c4-pawn in lines like 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5. f3 O-O 6. Bg5 c5 7. d5 Nbd7 8. Nh3 Ne5 9. Nf2 Qb6 10. Qd2 Qb4? 

We probably need a new thread, but what would the best format for something like this be?

I would pay $1.99 for that.   Smiley

I guess easiest would be to do it in ChessBase, so it could be offered for sale as either a PGN or ChessBase e-book.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #57 - 09/12/13 at 17:31:21
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 09/09/13 at 23:01:40:
PS. Some time ago, I floated the idea that ChessPubbers who are very experienced in certain openings and variations should produce an e-interactive book and sell for $1.99. This is exactly what e-chess and NIC has done with its SOS series. Perhaps Tony Kosten will be happy to facilitate? I think ChessPubber Micawber's excellent (Thanks Micawber!) KG files is a very good candidate to trial this!

It would be more of a "practical manual" than a theoretical work (though of course it would cover the theory as well), and I think it could be of great help to club players.  I would cover a lot of ideas that are encountered frequently in club play that don't get mentioned in the books; for instance, how should White handle the rapid attack on the c4-pawn in lines like 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5. f3 O-O 6. Bg5 c5 7. d5 Nbd7 8. Nh3 Ne5 9. Nf2 Qb6 10. Qd2 Qb4? 

We probably need a new thread, but what would the best format for something like this be?

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #56 - 09/11/13 at 11:46:08
Post Tools
Semkov wrote on 09/11/13 at 10:25:23:
First of all, I think that most chess fans do not fully understand the situation with chess publishing. In my opinion, it is on the verge of collapsing. One of its biggest enemy is piracy. It is senseless to compare chess books with music or other mass stuff. When the labels deal with millions of copies, we are talking of 1-2-3 thousands of paper chess books. Even 50% theft rate would kill financially any project. Many smaller book dealers have sank or at least they do not pay their invoices to the publishers.

Electronic books are the last resort for us. But an open unified format is impossible to protect. It has no future on the chess market. I even suspect that it is impossible to invent one. The closest thing to it is pgn, but it is unfit for a serious book.

The problem is that new formats to make reading more comfortable for the reader also makes filesharing easier. And when filesharing increases authors will spend less and less time writing something worthwhile which in turn may increase the filesharing from disappointed readers...

Actually, I have an idea that would probably work but it would require some major resources investment-wise...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo