Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Forward Chess for Ipad (Read 85435 times)
Glenn Snow
God Member

Re: Forward Chess for Ipad
Reply #100 - 09/05/17 at 20:31:19
Post Tools
gillbod wrote on 09/05/17 at 19:46:09:
Only just discovered forward cloud. Definitely makes the platform more appealing. It's heartening to know that I can leave iOS and take my Forward Chess ebooks with me.

Still not as good as Everyman, though. I love those PGNs.

Yes, very true.  Of course this also means one doesn't need an Apple or Android device to purchase Forward Chess books.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #99 - 09/05/17 at 19:46:09
Post Tools
Only just discovered forward cloud. Definitely makes the platform more appealing. It's heartening to know that I can leave iOS and take my Forward Chess ebooks with me.

Still not as good as Everyman, though. I love those PGNs.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #98 - 09/04/17 at 02:05:19
Post Tools
With the help of ForwardChess I managed to get all of my books (37) that I'd purchased on my IPAD on my PC using the android emulator "Andy".  The only thing that I've found missing so far, in limited use, is that I can't make my own moves on the chessboard.  They told me how to transfer books to an android device using Forward Cloud.  Of course it can be done the other way too.

IP Logged

scchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #97 - 05/19/14 at 14:08:25
Post Tools
Apple and Google do allow books be shared. Their only requirements is that they need to take the commission fees from the sales. Everytime, when a user purchases on iOS, the app is notified for the purchase, and the app could send the information to a remote web server. The remote web server saves it into a database.

IP Logged

scchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #96 - 05/19/14 at 14:00:59
Post Tools
Making the contents universally available is not technically super hard. Forward Chess would need a web server that takes web service. Apple allows for third-party authentication, just that the payment must go through them.

IP Logged

ForwardChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #95 - 05/19/14 at 00:34:39
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/18/14 at 23:47:10:
If it proves impossible to make the same copy directly available on multiple platforms, an obvious alternative is to include a non-transferable gift card for the same book on the other platform(s) with a purchase. I don't see why the publishers would object to that, it would just be a matter of finding the right price for such a bundle and using something (credit card?) to verify it's the same user.

Though of course app data like bookmarks and notes would not be transferred in such a scenario, so it's not perfect.

Apple is a real pain. Just to give you an idea of what we are dealing with, they don't allow for review copies of books! We can't give a book for free, even when we really want to.
Apple offers developers a limited number of codes/coupons for giving away the app itself - but our app is already free.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #94 - 05/18/14 at 23:47:10
Post Tools
If it proves impossible to make the same copy directly available on multiple platforms, an obvious alternative is to include a non-transferable gift card for the same book on the other platform(s) with a purchase. I don't see why the publishers would object to that, it would just be a matter of finding the right price for such a bundle and using something (credit card?) to verify it's the same user.

Though of course app data like bookmarks and notes would not be transferred in such a scenario, so it's not perfect.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ForwardChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #93 - 05/18/14 at 22:40:39
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/18/14 at 21:48:07:
So how about introducing cross-platform "bundles" at a higher price? I could imagine a market for paying 1,5x or even twice (for 3 platforms) the current FC price

Honestly, if we could figure out a way to move books across platforms in a way acceptable to our publishers, there would be no extra charge.
Just like you can read a book you purchased on any number of Android (or iOS) devices, we would like to let people read on both platforms if they wish to do so.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #92 - 05/18/14 at 21:48:07
Post Tools
P.S. the Forward Chess books are already quite a bit cheaper than the printed books.

So how about introducing cross-platform "bundles" at a higher price? I could imagine a market for paying 1,5x or even twice (for 3 platforms) the current FC price to get the extra convenience and assurance of purchased books not becoming unusable in the future, and not having to worry about getting "stuck" on one platform.

Btw. a certain competitor called A... K... manages to make content available on multiple platforms once purchased, so it can't be technically impossible?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #91 - 05/18/14 at 21:34:19
Post Tools
Let's not get too negative here Smiley

From what I've seen so far it's a very nice app, and significantly you've managed to get the best chess publishers in the world on board.

At the moment certain competitors may have an advantage in terms of cross-platform use, but more ways to run Android OS on other devices (laptops, tabletops...) will likely be developed in years to come.

IP Logged

ForwardChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #90 - 05/18/14 at 18:44:56
Post Tools
GrizzleBazzle wrote on 05/18/14 at 18:32:35:
ForwardChess wrote on 05/18/14 at 15:05:45:
Quote:
Is is really that big of a deal to for Forward Chess to give us a Windows app?

Sadly, it is not a straightforward exercise. And even when the Windows app comes out, all purchases will have to go through the Windows app store. Which means there will be three separate platforms (iOS/Android/Windows) and the books you purchase will have to stay where you got them.

The app does not (and will not) allow sideloading of books, this is a requirement from the participating publishers.

I understand the potential for problems, but by eliminating windows you're eliminating the largest platform.

I would love to have Forward Chess and the access it provides for new books, but I'm not going to buy a new iPad or an Android tablet just for chess books and I'm certainly not going to allow something like Bluestacks on my computer.

We understand your concern about Bluestacks. Chess Stars is promoting it like it is a solution to the Windows problem, but we don't share their enthusiasm.

We are considering creating a Windows app for Windows 8, but we are really concerned with this variety of non-overlapping platforms.

IP Logged

GrizzleBazzle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #89 - 05/18/14 at 18:32:35
Post Tools
Quote:

Sadly, it is not a straightforward exercise. And even when the Windows app comes out, all purchases will have to go through the Windows app store. Which means there will be three separate platforms (iOS/Android/Windows) and the books you purchase will have to stay where you got them.

The app does not (and will not) allow sideloading of books, this is a requirement from the participating publishers.

I understand the potential for problems, but by eliminating windows you're eliminating the largest platform.

I would love to have Forward Chess and the access it provides for new books, but I'm not going to buy a new iPad or an Android tablet just for chess books and I'm certainly not going to allow something like Bluestacks on my computer.

IP Logged

ForwardChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #88 - 05/18/14 at 18:30:43
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/18/14 at 16:05:17:
Which means there will be three separate platforms (iOS/Android/Windows) and the books you purchase will have to stay where you got them.

This is understandable, though it may annoy some customers.

But I should still be able to use books originally purchased on an Android Phone on a PC using BlueStacks or other emulator, right? It's still the Android platform, even though it's emulated.

We realize that it might annoy customers, but what are the options? We wouldn't mind giving people across-platforms access, but neither Apple nor Google allows it.

As far as Android emulators go, this is not something we tested or recommended. If it works, great, but this is not something we can promote, for many reasons.
Feeling a bit between a rock and a hard place, to be honest Sad

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #87 - 05/18/14 at 16:05:17
Post Tools
Which means there will be three separate platforms (iOS/Android/Windows) and the books you purchase will have to stay where you got them.

This is understandable, though it may annoy some customers.

But I should still be able to use books originally purchased on an Android Phone on a PC using BlueStacks or other emulator, right? It's still the Android platform, even though it's emulated.

IP Logged

ForwardChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #86 - 05/18/14 at 15:05:45
Post Tools
Quote:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo