Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Forward Chess for Ipad (Read 63838 times)
Glenn Snow
God Member

Re: Forward Chess for Ipad
Reply #100 - 09/05/17 at 20:31:19
Post Tools
gillbod wrote on 09/05/17 at 19:46:09:
Only just discovered forward cloud. Definitely makes the platform more appealing. It's heartening to know that I can leave iOS and take my Forward Chess ebooks with me.

Still not as good as Everyman, though. I love those PGNs.

Yes, very true.  Of course this also means one doesn't need an Apple or Android device to purchase Forward Chess books.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #99 - 09/05/17 at 19:46:09
Post Tools
Only just discovered forward cloud. Definitely makes the platform more appealing. It's heartening to know that I can leave iOS and take my Forward Chess ebooks with me.

Still not as good as Everyman, though. I love those PGNs.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #98 - 09/04/17 at 02:05:19
Post Tools
With the help of ForwardChess I managed to get all of my books (37) that I'd purchased on my IPAD on my PC using the android emulator "Andy".  The only thing that I've found missing so far, in limited use, is that I can't make my own moves on the chessboard.  They told me how to transfer books to an android device using Forward Cloud.  Of course it can be done the other way too.

IP Logged

scchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #97 - 05/19/14 at 14:08:25
Post Tools
Apple and Google do allow books be shared. Their only requirements is that they need to take the commission fees from the sales. Everytime, when a user purchases on iOS, the app is notified for the purchase, and the app could send the information to a remote web server. The remote web server saves it into a database.

IP Logged

scchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #96 - 05/19/14 at 14:00:59
Post Tools
Making the contents universally available is not technically super hard. Forward Chess would need a web server that takes web service. Apple allows for third-party authentication, just that the payment must go through them.

IP Logged

ForwardChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #95 - 05/19/14 at 00:34:39
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/18/14 at 23:47:10:
If it proves impossible to make the same copy directly available on multiple platforms, an obvious alternative is to include a non-transferable gift card for the same book on the other platform(s) with a purchase. I don't see why the publishers would object to that, it would just be a matter of finding the right price for such a bundle and using something (credit card?) to verify it's the same user.

Though of course app data like bookmarks and notes would not be transferred in such a scenario, so it's not perfect.

Apple is a real pain. Just to give you an idea of what we are dealing with, they don't allow for review copies of books! We can't give a book for free, even when we really want to.
Apple offers developers a limited number of codes/coupons for giving away the app itself - but our app is already free.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #94 - 05/18/14 at 23:47:10
Post Tools
If it proves impossible to make the same copy directly available on multiple platforms, an obvious alternative is to include a non-transferable gift card for the same book on the other platform(s) with a purchase. I don't see why the publishers would object to that, it would just be a matter of finding the right price for such a bundle and using something (credit card?) to verify it's the same user.

Though of course app data like bookmarks and notes would not be transferred in such a scenario, so it's not perfect.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ForwardChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #93 - 05/18/14 at 22:40:39
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/18/14 at 21:48:07:
So how about introducing cross-platform "bundles" at a higher price? I could imagine a market for paying 1,5x or even twice (for 3 platforms) the current FC price

Honestly, if we could figure out a way to move books across platforms in a way acceptable to our publishers, there would be no extra charge.
Just like you can read a book you purchased on any number of Android (or iOS) devices, we would like to let people read on both platforms if they wish to do so.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #92 - 05/18/14 at 21:48:07
Post Tools
P.S. the Forward Chess books are already quite a bit cheaper than the printed books.

So how about introducing cross-platform "bundles" at a higher price? I could imagine a market for paying 1,5x or even twice (for 3 platforms) the current FC price to get the extra convenience and assurance of purchased books not becoming unusable in the future, and not having to worry about getting "stuck" on one platform.

Btw. a certain competitor called A... K... manages to make content available on multiple platforms once purchased, so it can't be technically impossible?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #91 - 05/18/14 at 21:34:19
Post Tools
Let's not get too negative here Smiley

From what I've seen so far it's a very nice app, and significantly you've managed to get the best chess publishers in the world on board.

At the moment certain competitors may have an advantage in terms of cross-platform use, but more ways to run Android OS on other devices (laptops, tabletops...) will likely be developed in years to come.

IP Logged

ForwardChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #90 - 05/18/14 at 18:44:56
Post Tools
GrizzleBazzle wrote on 05/18/14 at 18:32:35:
ForwardChess wrote on 05/18/14 at 15:05:45:
Quote:
Is is really that big of a deal to for Forward Chess to give us a Windows app?

Sadly, it is not a straightforward exercise. And even when the Windows app comes out, all purchases will have to go through the Windows app store. Which means there will be three separate platforms (iOS/Android/Windows) and the books you purchase will have to stay where you got them.

The app does not (and will not) allow sideloading of books, this is a requirement from the participating publishers.

I understand the potential for problems, but by eliminating windows you're eliminating the largest platform.

I would love to have Forward Chess and the access it provides for new books, but I'm not going to buy a new iPad or an Android tablet just for chess books and I'm certainly not going to allow something like Bluestacks on my computer.

We understand your concern about Bluestacks. Chess Stars is promoting it like it is a solution to the Windows problem, but we don't share their enthusiasm.

We are considering creating a Windows app for Windows 8, but we are really concerned with this variety of non-overlapping platforms.

IP Logged

GrizzleBazzle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #89 - 05/18/14 at 18:32:35
Post Tools
Quote:

Sadly, it is not a straightforward exercise. And even when the Windows app comes out, all purchases will have to go through the Windows app store. Which means there will be three separate platforms (iOS/Android/Windows) and the books you purchase will have to stay where you got them.

The app does not (and will not) allow sideloading of books, this is a requirement from the participating publishers.

I understand the potential for problems, but by eliminating windows you're eliminating the largest platform.

I would love to have Forward Chess and the access it provides for new books, but I'm not going to buy a new iPad or an Android tablet just for chess books and I'm certainly not going to allow something like Bluestacks on my computer.

IP Logged

ForwardChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #88 - 05/18/14 at 18:30:43
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/18/14 at 16:05:17:
Which means there will be three separate platforms (iOS/Android/Windows) and the books you purchase will have to stay where you got them.

This is understandable, though it may annoy some customers.

But I should still be able to use books originally purchased on an Android Phone on a PC using BlueStacks or other emulator, right? It's still the Android platform, even though it's emulated.

We realize that it might annoy customers, but what are the options? We wouldn't mind giving people across-platforms access, but neither Apple nor Google allows it.

As far as Android emulators go, this is not something we tested or recommended. If it works, great, but this is not something we can promote, for many reasons.
Feeling a bit between a rock and a hard place, to be honest Sad

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #87 - 05/18/14 at 16:05:17
Post Tools
Which means there will be three separate platforms (iOS/Android/Windows) and the books you purchase will have to stay where you got them.

This is understandable, though it may annoy some customers.

But I should still be able to use books originally purchased on an Android Phone on a PC using BlueStacks or other emulator, right? It's still the Android platform, even though it's emulated.

IP Logged

ForwardChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #86 - 05/18/14 at 15:05:45
Post Tools
Quote:

IP Logged

Igor

Schild und Schwert der
Partei!

Reply #85 - 05/15/14 at 08:43:15
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/14/14 at 22:52:25:
Oh, I didn't know about those conditions.

I've installed it now to see what's it about, but I'm not sure how to access the Apps in my account from Bluestacks. Whenever I try to log in to the "App Sync" app, it just takes forever, becomes inactive, and when I return I'm asked to re-enter my password. I'd think the Play Store app should "know" which apps I've bought, but then I'd still need to transfer app data from my phone somehow.

Does anybody know how app syncing is supposed to work?

I had the same problem with Bluestacks (on Mac), and I was not able to complete the payment. On PC Bluestacks isn't compatible with the antivirus BitDefender. Similar problems with emulators like Genymotion.

At the end I succeeded by installing manually VirtualBox  ( https://www.virtualbox.org ) + Android ( http://www.android-x86.org ). No ads and commercial crap installed.
Basically you create a virtual machine (say a linux 3.2, 512Mb RAM, 2Gb Hd) and launch the android installer from the .iso image (you can pick any version of android, from 2.2 to 4.4...).
Once you are logged into your google account and forward chess is installed, you can download the book(s) you bought - without paying again!  Grin

If many people are interested I can try to write a step-by-step guide  Cool
« Last Edit: 05/15/14 at 18:04:09 by Igor »  

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #84 - 05/14/14 at 22:52:25
Post Tools
Oh, I didn't know about those conditions.

I've installed it now to see what's it about, but I'm not sure how to access the Apps in my account from Bluestacks. Whenever I try to log in to the "App Sync" app, it just takes forever, becomes inactive, and when I return I'm asked to re-enter my password. I'd think the Play Store app should "know" which apps I've bought, but then I'd still need to transfer app data from my phone somehow.

Does anybody know how app syncing is supposed to work?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #83 - 05/14/14 at 21:50:45
Post Tools
GrizzleBazzle wrote on 05/14/14 at 21:24:15:
Stigma wrote on 05/13/14 at 23:18:57:
The Chess Stars website now explains how to emulate an Android device under Windows, and thus we can even use Forward Chess on a PC! Well done.

It is better than nothing, but I wouldn't say "Well done." Using the Bluestacks emulator, Windows users either have to pay for the premium installation or accept unwanted apps being installed on their computer.

I agree, like the Kindle app. I have no wish to install the Bluestack emulator after reading about it.

IP Logged

GrizzleBazzle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #82 - 05/14/14 at 21:24:15
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/13/14 at 23:18:57:
The Chess Stars website now explains how to emulate an Android device under Windows, and thus we can even use Forward Chess on a PC! Well done.

It is better than nothing, but I wouldn't say "Well done." Using the Bluestacks emulator, Windows users either have to pay for the premium installation or accept unwanted apps being installed on their computer.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #81 - 05/14/14 at 12:38:01
Post Tools
Thanks, Alias!

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #80 - 05/14/14 at 07:33:30
Post Tools
Just hold on the book you'd like to delete. A delete button will appear.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #79 - 05/13/14 at 23:18:57
Post Tools

One issue someone here may know a fix to: I downloaded a number of book Samples, but when I later buy the full book, I don't need the sample anymore, it's just clutter. How can I remove a sample from my account or device?

One thing I really like about the Everyman app is I can seemlessly move material between my phone/tablet (for portability), a database program like Chessbase, and a "cramming program" like Chess Position Trainer, which supports .pgn import.
Maybe this usage is already a legal gray area, but I feel when I've bought the material on one platform, I should be able to use it on as many as possible, as I see fit to maximize learning. And the reader is in no way limited to purchased e-books, I can equally use pgn files I have made myself.

So... some pgn support in Forward Chess would be great. But I suspect I still wouldn't be able to transfer any material to Chessbase or CPT, since that would be considered piracy?

IP Logged

ForwardChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #78 - 04/10/14 at 00:55:47
Post Tools
The Android version of the app now has both multiple bookmarks and note capability.
Lots of other things are in development.  Smiley

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #77 - 01/31/14 at 10:13:23
Post Tools
Now there are some books from Quality Chess. Still not too many titles...

I have some issues with the app, and so far only keep it because there are many titles from Chess stars.

I have used it on both a Nexus 7 and my Samsung S4. The navigation is hard in Chapters with lots of variations and text. It has been improved, but still is very annoying at times. What makes it worse it that when scrolling, if just moving the finger a bit sideways, it will be interpreted as swiping instead. This means changing Chapters...

I have also asked the team for a bookmark and note function, which would be handy tools, but no response yet.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #76 - 09/21/13 at 05:13:06
Post Tools
I have the app and I think it is pretty good. But I still miss the Quality chess books...

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #75 - 09/19/13 at 12:17:43
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 09/18/13 at 00:54:17:
Keano wrote on 09/18/13 at 00:05:20:
GMTonyKosten wrote on 09/17/13 at 09:50:53:
Let's not go too far off topic here.

Very true. Maybe moderators can move the opening stuff because its worth continuing? On the Forward chess I have now installed it on my Android phone and using the free examples it seems a very interesting piece of work. As an IT man myself I'd be interested to know how much effort goes into preparing a book. My general impression is that the thing is fantastic but that my phone is too small and I need a tablet for the full effect  Sad

Yes, the various chess readers come into their own on tablets. I use on a regular size iPad.
Have not tried on my ipad Mini yet.
Tad annoyingly, I cannot transfer between my tablets. Same account, so apps are shared across, but purchases within the chess readers are only viewable on one device. Ah, well, perhaps not too surprising really, but I had wished to move everything to my Mini, for easier train-commute-chessing.

Semko wrote that there is no problem using the files on several tablets. Just download again. He wrote specifically for Android but I guess it is the same for iOS.

Edit: Read reply #40, first point. Should work also for iOS.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #74 - 09/18/13 at 04:29:24
Post Tools
browniesbane wrote on 09/18/13 at 04:13:53:
Is it safe to assume that the features on the android and the apple devices will be basically identical.  I noticed that cbases android app appears to be more feature laden then their iPad/iPhone app ( based on their websites description) and I wasn't sure whether the  ios devices  might be harder to program.

Perhaps the lag may be related to upgrading the ap for  iOS7 compatibility.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

browniesbane
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #73 - 09/18/13 at 04:13:53
Post Tools
Is it safe to assume that the features on the android and the apple devices will be basically identical.  I noticed that cbases android app appears to be more feature laden then their iPad/iPhone app ( based on their websites description) and I wasn't sure whether the  ios devices  might be harder to program.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #72 - 09/18/13 at 00:54:17
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 09/18/13 at 00:05:20:

Very true. Maybe moderators can move the opening stuff because its worth continuing? On the Forward chess I have now installed it on my Android phone and using the free examples it seems a very interesting piece of work. As an IT man myself I'd be interested to know how much effort goes into preparing a book. My general impression is that the thing is fantastic but that my phone is too small and I need a tablet for the full effect  Sad

Yes, the various chess readers come into their own on tablets. I use on a regular size iPad.
Have not tried on my ipad Mini yet.
Tad annoyingly, I cannot transfer between my tablets. Same account, so apps are shared across, but purchases within the chess readers are only viewable on one device. Ah, well, perhaps not too surprising really, but I had wished to move everything to my Mini, for easier train-commute-chessing.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #71 - 09/18/13 at 00:05:20
Post Tools

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #70 - 09/17/13 at 09:50:53
Post Tools

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #69 - 09/16/13 at 11:58:37
Post Tools
In the end its all opinion and preferences. I like the 6.Bg5 provoking ...h6 and ...h5 even though the same position can come about numerous ways and through the normal Benoni. Its a positional system for White, maybe it doesnt promise much but I might as well give an example about what I'm on about:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.f3 0-0 6.Bg5 c5 7.d5 e6 8.Qd2 exd5 9.cxd5 h6 10.Be3 Re8 11.Nge2 Nbd7 12.Nc1 a6 13.a4 h5 14.Be2 Nh7
15.0-0 Ne5 16.Rb1 f5 17.b4

I prefer White, but all 3 results are possible. I prefer this way putting the Knight on c1 instead of g3. This Knight is the only problem with Whites setup (Black must be careful not to play an early ...Nbd7 allowing Nh3-f2). For this reason I also agree with Semkov - the idea Ne2-c3 tries to solve this Knight problem through a clever move order, although of course creates a mountain of other issues.

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #68 - 09/16/13 at 11:28:46
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 09/16/13 at 08:56:42:
Disagree with Semkov on this one about 6.Bg5 - " Black plays ...e6, exd5,h6-h5-h4 with excellent play". Its a valid opinion, but that position is a standard Benoni position in which White can score well if he understands what he is doing.

The book which I edited, contained material about this structure - after c7-c5/d4-d5. It implied that Black had no problems if he gets it without any concession. Since it was a repertoire book, I decided to throw out these pages. I left only the most principled approach: 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.f3 and now: if 3...c5 4.d5 (Black gets the structure, but White's queen's knight is still on b1 so White plays Ng1-e2-c3 and Bg5! which is strong here); if 3...Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nc3 0-0 6.Be3 c5 7.Nge2 Nc6 8.d5 - here the black knight lands prematurely on e5. There is a more tricky move order - 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.f3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Ne2!?  which keeps the option of Bg5 open while delaying Nbc3. It is covered separately. All this belongs to the Daring Defences furum, but apparently there are no new questions about ForwardChess so I'm filling in the gap.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #67 - 09/16/13 at 08:56:42
Post Tools
Disagree with Semkov on this one about 6.Bg5 - " Black plays ...e6, exd5,h6-h5-h4 with excellent play". Its a valid opinion, but that position is a standard Benoni position in which White can score well if he understands what he is doing.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #66 - 09/14/13 at 16:16:53
Post Tools
6.Nge2 is a very interesting idea as well, postponing the development of the Bishop for another move to see what Black does.  I agree that there are times after I put the Bishop on g5 that I wish the Bishop were on e3 (in Panno-like lines, mostly).  But then, there are many times after I put the Bishop on e3 that I wish it were on g5!

I probably don't have a strong enough grasp of the theory to really debate with Semkov.  Suffice it to say that this whole line (6.Be3 c5! and 6.Bg5 c5) is considered more-or-less fine for Black.  In theory, of course; practice is a different matter. 

With 6.Bg5, White can play in Averbakh-style at times, and he avoids some of Black's options (6...e5, for instance).  The move is interesting and poses Black unique problems when compared to 6.Be3.  Often times positions are reached that look very similar to "regular" (6.Be3) lines, but there are subtle nuances in White's favor; if Black plays in standard fashion, he gets in trouble.  There are a lot of interesting ideas in here, and some players did incredibly well with 6.Bg5--Sadler, Dreev, Lautier, Yusupov...

In the end it's a game of chess, and at the very worst for White, it's equal.  But I think Black still has problems to solve, and it's not quite as simple as just playing ...h7-h6 and ...h6-h5-h4 quickly.  It all depends on move orders, but sometimes the Knight goes to f4, sometimes to c1, etc.  I agree that if it goes to g3 too early in some lines Black gets excellent play. 

So...I dunno.  I think that it's an excellent practical weapon that hasn't been covered well in the literature.  Following Bologan's recommendation, for instance, will get Black in a lot of trouble (in my opinion). 

It's as good an option as anything else (I don't find 6.Be3 Nc6 7.Nge2 very inspiring for White, though I'd still prefer taking the White side here), poses unique problems, is not well-covered in the literature from either side; it sounds like a great practical weapon to me.  I think the main reason that many top-level players have moved on is not that it's inferior to other lines, but rather that most of the most interesting ideas were explored back in the 90s.  I suspect some time in the future (10 years?), some top-level players will pick it up again, with some new ideas for White.  That's the way chess goes...

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #65 - 09/14/13 at 11:42:23
Post Tools
Well, life is rarely so easy.

Fair point that Be3 is more popular, of course, but Semkov san's reply oversimplifies a little I feel. And the book they have published, is not about Bg5 lines, and that's cool. And it looks a good book (I have not had time on it yet).

I remember Sadler playing like this when he was active originally. I hesitate to say '...with good results' as he was a very strong player with a remarkable work ethic and would have good results with most things, but...he did well with it.

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #64 - 09/14/13 at 10:01:15
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 09/12/13 at 17:31:21:
Off-topic but since you brought it up, I'm interested in this.  I think that I could write a very good manual on how to play the 6.Bg5 Saemisch King's Indian, which I've scored very heavily with over the years and which I don't think is covered all that well in the literature--it usually receives short treatment in Saemisch books, which focus on 6.Be3. 

This short treatment is for a reason - after 6.Bg5 c5 7.d5, Black plays ...e6, exd5,h6-h5-h4 with excellent play. That's why all the top players prefer 6.Be3 c5 7.Nge2! to provoke 7...Nc6 - covered in The Ultimate Anti-Grunfeld. I do not see any advantage of 6.Bg5 over 6.Be3 in most major systems against the Samisch.

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #63 - 09/14/13 at 09:54:09
Post Tools
FC team is toying with the idea of introducing support for pgn files. Thus publishers that have pgn books will not have to spend money on conversion while they will benefit from the copy protection features of FC.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #62 - 09/13/13 at 16:21:20
Post Tools
Well I have a lot of work to do to get .pgn files in order, etc., but maybe I'll check back in a month or so.  It shouldn't take me too long to get a first draft done; maybe 40 hours?  I'm not sure, but I'll start making a stab at it and see how it comes along. 

My personal life is somewhat up in the air at the moment--I'm travelling, helping take care of my injured sister, need to start looking for a new job, etc--so I don't know how much time I'll have to devote to it.  I'm not making any promises, but we'll see what happens.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #61 - 09/13/13 at 14:28:40
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 09/13/13 at 02:30:12:
Re format, possibles:
1) pgn - easy but difficult to read especially if lots of variations (Everyman Chess Viewer is an example) and difficult to insert text.
2) cbv - can insert text and read like an ebook BUT format is proprietary and restricted to PCs;
3) ebook in pdf? or epub or mobi - can sell this via ChessPub;
4) iBook - can even embed video clips - but has to sell this via Apple iTunes.

I would be willing to pay more than 2 dollars for a good e-book.

I am not interested in Apple iTunes, though, because it is one of the reasons I stopped using iPhone...

Pdf is not a good e-book IMHO.

If only CBH would be better accessible on other platforms than PC. Currently, there are no really good alternative on Tablets, but I like Forward chess despite its flaws. PGN-files work ok with Chess PGN Master.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #60 - 09/13/13 at 10:05:51
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 09/13/13 at 02:30:12:
Pricing is key:
1) would Tony be happy with processing $0.99 or $1.99 purchases? admin costs?

It's easy enough to setup an online shop these days, but whether there would be much point for just one item ... of course, this might start a trend from Forum members and there might soon be lots of eBooks for sale.
Otherwise, you could always collect the money directly using PayPal, say, and send a download link.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #59 - 09/13/13 at 02:30:12
Post Tools
Thanks Tony, ErictheRed and Lee Roth.
@ErictheRed, I was thinking of your earlier remarks but did not wish to sound pushy.
Not sure where to put this new thread? Moderators?
Or perhaps we should take this off-line ......

Re format, possibles:
1) pgn - easy but difficult to read especially if lots of variations (Everyman Chess Viewer is an example) and difficult to insert text.
2) cbv - can insert text and read like an ebook BUT format is proprietary and restricted to PCs;
3) ebook in pdf? or epub or mobi - can sell this via ChessPub;
4) iBook - can even embed video clips - but has to sell this via Apple iTunes.

I am happy to assist with editing for pdf/epub. I am presently playing around with iBook.

Re content:
1) If you are only looking at one var: 6.Bg5 Saemisch King's Indian, but you have lots of notes, perhaps an idea would be subdivide into smaller chunks and sell each for $0.99.
Should be guided by e+chess/NIC partnership and its SOS chps for $1.99. (http://eplusbooks.com/sos-files-new-in-chess

Pricing is key:
1) would Tony be happy with processing $0.99 or $1.99 purchases? admin costs?
« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 03:38:23 by GabrielGale »  

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #58 - 09/12/13 at 22:25:00
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 09/12/13 at 17:31:21:
GabrielGale wrote on 09/09/13 at 23:01:40:
PS. Some time ago, I floated the idea that ChessPubbers who are very experienced in certain openings and variations should produce an e-interactive book and sell for $1.99. This is exactly what e-chess and NIC has done with its SOS series. Perhaps Tony Kosten will be happy to facilitate? I think ChessPubber Micawber's excellent (Thanks Micawber!) KG files is a very good candidate to trial this!

Off-topic but since you brought it up, I'm interested in this.  I think that I could write a very good manual on how to play the 6.Bg5 Saemisch King's Indian, which I've scored very heavily with over the years and which I don't think is covered all that well in the literature--it usually receives short treatment in Saemisch books, which focus on 6.Be3. 

It would be more of a "practical manual" than a theoretical work (though of course it would cover the theory as well), and I think it could be of great help to club players.  I would cover a lot of ideas that are encountered frequently in club play that don't get mentioned in the books; for instance, how should White handle the rapid attack on the c4-pawn in lines like 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5. f3 O-O 6. Bg5 c5 7. d5 Nbd7 8. Nh3 Ne5 9. Nf2 Qb6 10. Qd2 Qb4? 

We probably need a new thread, but what would the best format for something like this be?

I would pay $1.99 for that.   Smiley

I guess easiest would be to do it in ChessBase, so it could be offered for sale as either a PGN or ChessBase e-book.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #57 - 09/12/13 at 17:31:21
Post Tools
PS. Some time ago, I floated the idea that ChessPubbers who are very experienced in certain openings and variations should produce an e-interactive book and sell for $1.99. This is exactly what e-chess and NIC has done with its SOS series. Perhaps Tony Kosten will be happy to facilitate? I think ChessPubber Micawber's excellent (Thanks Micawber!) KG files is a very good candidate to trial this!

It would be more of a "practical manual" than a theoretical work (though of course it would cover the theory as well), and I think it could be of great help to club players.  I would cover a lot of ideas that are encountered frequently in club play that don't get mentioned in the books; for instance, how should White handle the rapid attack on the c4-pawn in lines like 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5. f3 O-O 6. Bg5 c5 7. d5 Nbd7 8. Nh3 Ne5 9. Nf2 Qb6 10. Qd2 Qb4? 

We probably need a new thread, but what would the best format for something like this be?

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #56 - 09/11/13 at 11:46:08
Post Tools
Semkov wrote on 09/11/13 at 10:25:23:
First of all, I think that most chess fans do not fully understand the situation with chess publishing. In my opinion, it is on the verge of collapsing. One of its biggest enemy is piracy. It is senseless to compare chess books with music or other mass stuff. When the labels deal with millions of copies, we are talking of 1-2-3 thousands of paper chess books. Even 50% theft rate would kill financially any project. Many smaller book dealers have sank or at least they do not pay their invoices to the publishers.

Electronic books are the last resort for us. But an open unified format is impossible to protect. It has no future on the chess market. I even suspect that it is impossible to invent one. The closest thing to it is pgn, but it is unfit for a serious book.

The problem is that new formats to make reading more comfortable for the reader also makes filesharing easier. And when filesharing increases authors will spend less and less time writing something worthwhile which in turn may increase the filesharing from disappointed readers...

Actually, I have an idea that would probably work but it would require some major resources investment-wise...

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #55 - 09/11/13 at 10:25:23
Post Tools
browniesbane wrote on 09/11/13 at 03:55:26:
In response to a comment above, I'd argue that these proprietary platforms benefit the readers as well as the publisher, because they allow for more features and a better reading experience.

First of all, I think that most chess fans do not fully understand the situation with chess publishing. In my opinion, it is on the verge of collapsing. One of its biggest enemies is piracy. It is senseless to compare chess books with music or other mass stuff. When the labels deal with millions of copies, we are talking of 1-2-3 thousands of paper chess books. Even 50% theft rate would kill financially any project. Many smaller book dealers have sank or at least they do not pay their invoices to the publishers.

Electronic books are the last resort for us. But an open unified format is impossible to protect. It has no future on the chess market. I even suspect that it is impossible to invent one. The closest thing to it is pgn, but it is unfit for a serious book. I tried to port The Sharpest Sicilian 2012 to pgn and failed. You cannot have multiple fragments, comparisons between similar positions, retrospections, in a pgn file. It can only have a linear structure of the type one game - one file. Any formatting of the text as new lines, frames and boxes, javascript functions, is unsupported - look at Everyman's viewer.

ForwardChess is not a format in itself. It achieves its goal of making ANY chess book interactive by using programming means in the pre-press process. (I guess, E+ is in the same pot) It takes quite a lot of work to prepare a book for it. On the other hand, the program itself is rather simple. Basically it reads html files. That means, the books should work even after many years, because all the new html specifications have backward compatibility. It means, investments in ForwardChess books seem absolutely secure. You can lose a paper book, but purchases from Appstore and Google Play are stored in the cloud and available anytime for re-download on any device.
What if the competitors wrote a "better" soft? FC is a chess books reader. It will always read the books meant for it. A cat's color does not matter if it is able to hunt mice. The problem is how to make better BOOKS.
I would like to see one program for all the books, too. That's why, instead of writing our own app for Chess Stars, I welcomed Mongoose Press' effort and offered my help (and a fellow countryman programmer). Unfortunately, it seems that other publishers want to distinguish their products by offering them in separate viewers. That should not be a problem for the reader though. Finally, it matters what you read, not the app you use. We are talking about simple intuitive apps, not some heavy database products.
By the way, I support the idea to keep FC as simple as possible, true to its nature of a chess viewer. 

« Last Edit: 09/11/13 at 16:18:10 by Semkov »  
IP Logged

browniesbane
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #54 - 09/11/13 at 03:55:26
Post Tools
In response to a comment above, I'd argue that these proprietary platforms benefit the readers as well as the publisher, because they allow for more features and a better reading experience. It would be terrific if someone were to write an interactive ebook format that somehow could be a standard for all chess books. Lets face it, that isn't going to happen, and we will have to rely on the market to sort things out, and leave us with one or two readers.

Forward chess already has three major publishers signed up. I think thats a pretty good start; the more publishers that are invested in these platforms the less likely they will go away and the more effort that will be put in development. 

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #53 - 09/10/13 at 10:03:36
Post Tools
SmartChess was tied up with ChessPub for a while but that seems to have died.

I wasn't aware of this, although it's true they haven't sent us any money for a while! Sad
I remember they had to convert our CB files into their own proprietary format each time which seemed an enormous waste of time and money to me.

PS. Some time ago, I floated the idea that ChessPubbers who are very experienced in certain openings and variations should produce an e-interactive book and sell for $1.99. This is exactly what e-chess and NIC has done with its SOS series. Perhaps Tony Kosten will be happy to facilitate?

Sure, I'm happy to go along with any such idea.

Regarding proprietary formats, we always tried to stick to PGN game files and PDF eBooks here as they are platform independent, but made a number of ChessBase eBooks as they offered more possibilities (the popup game links). For over ten years I have been waiting for someone to produce some platform-independent software that produces real PGN eBooks, but only Hiarcs Explorer came close.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #52 - 09/09/13 at 23:01:40
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 09/09/13 at 17:17:56:
I understand that Forward Chess is awesome.  I meant to ask, why not also publish books in a standard ebook format, so that more people on more platforms can read them? 

Also, I generally dislike "proprietary" software/file extensions.  What happens if another app comes along in a year and becomes the new standard?  Will a book purchased through Forward Chess be usable with other apps in the future, if a competitor ends up making a similar but better one?  Most ebooks can be freely converted from .mobi to .asz to whatever, so that they can be read on any platform or with any app the consumer wants.  A .pgn file can be used with any chess software, etc.  Is Forward Chess "proprietary" in this sense or can another developer come along and possibly write a better app that can also handle the Forward Chess files?

Am I going to start buying some Forward Chess ebooks, some .mobi ebooks, some .cbh ebooks, etc?  It seems cumbersome to me; it would be nice to buy a book in a standardized format that can be used across many software and hardware platforms (Chessbase, Forward Chess, iPad, Android, etc, etc).

I would like to second ErictheRed's sentiments. This is what has already happened with Chessbase DVDs (FritsTrainers). There is not mobile platform that can play CB's FT DVDs. Even its very own app can only deal with pgn files. I purchased a number of FT DVDs when I had a PC but have not been able to watch them when I switched to Mac (yes, that is my choice) and I got excited when I saw an Android tablet for sale for AUD99 at Aldi and thought , yes! I can buy that and watch the CB DVDs. But a little investigation online dashed those hopes.
In my professional academic work, I had a bit of a look at the battle of standards as a proxy for commercial warfare, the most famous example being VHS vs Betamax, then there was the BluRay vs HD-DVD. (The economic concept, I believe is network effect.) It is literally a winner takes all.

Last year and previous, on the "pages" of this Forum, there was a proxy "fought" re interactive ebook readers, ie, e+chess (NZ outfit) now supported by by and SmartChess (Hortillosa et al).

E+Chess has tied up now with NewinChess and you can purchased SOS individual chapters for $1.99 and of course books.

SmartChess was tied up with ChessPub for a while but that seems to have died. It also did QualityChess books but now with QC tying with ForwardChess, ??? It also tied up with Chessvibes, publishing CVOs and CVTs. It promises some new books but without signing up a major publisher, it will die. Only publisher left is Gambit. But Gambit's GM is GM Murray Chandler who is Kiwi and known associate of the people behind E+Chess. There is then Everyman who has its own Chessviewer (very clunky!).

These proprietary platforms are not benefiting consumers. They only benefit the business, publishers and app developers. Before I get flamed (or maybe not, since that is an exaggeration of my own importance!  Grin), I can understand publishers' need to secure their product from piracy and protect their revenue stream. But history has shown that these battles will cause losses to consumers who bet on the wrong "horse".

BTW, e+Chess is publishing a new translation of Nimzowitsch's My System. Hmmmm! A direct competitor to QC's translation a few years back.

PS 2, There are also a lot of talk on the Forum these last three years about "repertoires", new, changing repertoires. Consequently also lots of interest on repertoire books (why not!). However, it has been pointed out that a repertoire for U1800 or U2000 or U2200 is very different beast to the monster repertoires in books. I think the only example of a repertoire for amateurs in very recent years is that by ChessPbber, Derduea (? sorry cannot remember the spelling due to age) but published in german.

It would be good, if there exists a series of small e-books on different openings and variations which are aimed at the U1800, U2000, U2200 (in education design theory, this is modular design) from which amateur club players can pick and choose and experiment (thereby also broadening thier chessic education). I think ChessPubbers can do this. There was already some work done with the mapping of openings but that died ......

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #51 - 09/09/13 at 17:17:56
Post Tools
I understand that Forward Chess is awesome.  I meant to ask, why not also publish books in a standard ebook format, so that more people on more platforms can read them? 

Also, I generally dislike "proprietary" software/file extensions.  What happens if another app comes along in a year and becomes the new standard?  Will a book purchased through Forward Chess be usable with other apps in the future, if a competitor ends up making a similar but better one?  Most ebooks can be freely converted from .mobi to .asz to whatever, so that they can be read on any platform or with any app the consumer wants.  A .pgn file can be used with any chess software, etc.  Is Forward Chess "proprietary" in this sense or can another developer come along and possibly write a better app that can also handle the Forward Chess files?

Am I going to start buying some Forward Chess ebooks, some .mobi ebooks, some .cbh ebooks, etc?  It seems cumbersome to me; it would be nice to buy a book in a standardized format that can be used across many software and hardware platforms (Chessbase, Forward Chess, iPad, Android, etc, etc).

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #50 - 09/09/13 at 15:28:42
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 09/09/13 at 04:18:39:
Forward Chess might be a nice app, but what's the advantage of publishing a book for Forward Chess?

1. You can watch all the moves on a board.
2. You can even play your own moves on that board.
3. In the Android version, you can also watch engine analysis.
4. Some books with puzzels can be used for training - after the question, there is a Show/Hide button to display the answer. 
5. Eventually, publishers might include (more) colour pictures, more colour in general in their books (without thinking of the money it will cost for printing.
6. If the platform becomes popular, publishers might start offering free updates - this is a plus compared to paper books.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #49 - 09/09/13 at 14:24:04
Post Tools
I see there is an Android version of this app available too. Anybody tried it? Sounds very interesting.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #48 - 09/09/13 at 08:05:43
Post Tools
Yes, that's right. A standard ebook will be just like a glorified pdf. Just a book onscreen.
Using chess viewers such as Forward chess you can play thru games and read the text.
I find it great - I am reluctant to buy standard texts now.
Hope QC get sorted quickly on this front as well as Chess Stars. Holding off new buys till can have all on my iPad.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #47 - 09/09/13 at 06:26:13
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 09/09/13 at 04:18:39:
Forward Chess might be a nice app, but what's the advantage of publishing a book for Forward Chess?  I mean, why not just publish an electronic copy that can be used on multiple devices?

I'm pretty new to the whole mobile/iPad/tablet thing, but I notice that I can buy a Kindle version of Play the French here: http://www.amazon.com/Play-French-4th-ebook/dp/B008HFW1ZW/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?i... Why not release ebooks in "normal" form, the same format that I would use to read a new novel, for instance?

I assume in the standard kindle version you don't get an interactive chess board on which gets updated when you click on the notation in the book page.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #46 - 09/09/13 at 04:18:39
Post Tools
Forward Chess might be a nice app, but what's the advantage of publishing a book for Forward Chess?  I mean, why not just publish an electronic copy that can be used on multiple devices?

I'm pretty new to the whole mobile/iPad/tablet thing, but I notice that I can buy a Kindle version of Play the French here: http://www.amazon.com/Play-French-4th-ebook/dp/B008HFW1ZW/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?i...; Why not release ebooks in "normal" form, the same format that I would use to read a new novel, for instance?

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #45 - 09/08/13 at 20:29:22
Post Tools
Fllg wrote on 09/06/13 at 18:20:56:
Honestly I wouldn´t have any other use for a tablet.

I'm biased probably, but when I bought my first tablet, all the family loved it - for books, surfing, and reading the press during the morning coffee. We have three now and they are often used despite the presence of 3 desktops and a notebook. My wife, who hated to read on a desktop, began spending hours with the Ipad.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #44 - 09/06/13 at 18:20:56
Post Tools
Btw, accidentally I have found out that Amazon offers a free ´Kindle for PC-App´ that enables you to read books in kindle format on a Windows-PC. If Amazon is able to produce an app with a trustworthy copy protection then surely something similar should be possible for Forward Chess!?

Maybe I´m a bit naive here but on the other hand there might be a certain amount of customers out there like me who are interested in purchasing chess books in electronic format but don´t want to buy a new device just for that. Honestly I wouldn´t have any other use for a tablet.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #43 - 09/05/13 at 15:03:56
Post Tools
FYI, I've been communicating with the makers of Forward Chess regarding getting it to work on a rooted Amazon Kindle.  Unfortunately it seems impossible; because of agreements between Amazon and Google, the app is unable to set up in-app billing and just closes immediately.

I suspect that if I completely wipe Amazon's operating system from the Kindle and install an Android operating system on the device (thereby fully converting it to an Android tablet, not just a Kindle with root access), it would work without problems. 

I haven't done that as so far, I've been able to run any Google Play apps I want with just the rooted Kindle.  But now that I can't run Forward Chess, I'll give it a try in the next week or so and report back.  I don't use any of Amazon's services anyway (the Kindle Fire HD was a gift, otherwise I might have just bought an Android tablet to begin with).

IP Logged

caph1
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #42 - 08/28/13 at 18:08:36
Post Tools
Thx Semko for your thorough answer

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #41 - 08/28/13 at 18:06:53
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 08/27/13 at 23:24:38:
On my iPad, it uses about 23 MB.  The app itself is 7.4 MB.  The books take up the remaining 16 MB.  I have downloaded the Dreev and Korneev books, as well as some of the samples, so would guess that each of the standard-sized books is somewhere between 5 and 10 MB.

Hmm.  Well, in light of Semkov's explanation, disregard my prior post. 

Indeed, I just downloaded the new anti-Grunfeld book by Svetushkin, and the amount of space taken up is now less than it was before!

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #40 - 08/28/13 at 17:08:10
Post Tools
Here are some answers:
1. Once you bought a book, it is yours forever and available for all your devices that are registered with your profile - from Itune's or Google Play Cloud. You can download it many times.
2. The size of books is usually less than 1 MB except for the cases they contain a lot of pictures. The app itself may take up more MBs as it stores the files in a cache to speed up the process of opening a book. But this cache could be cleared.
3. Rooting an Android tablet is already illegal: http://appshappens.com/rooting-android-is-now-illegal-well-heres-what-you-need-t...
However, FC has not any particular code against rooting. Kindle is unsupported device because Amazon does not support Google Play store where the books reside. The Nook HD+ was in a similar position, but since May, Barnes and Noble have opened their customary Android OS to Google and now FC works perfectly well on their tablet.
4. FC for Android already has an engine support. This new version will be posted for download in a couple of days.

IP Logged

caph1
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 08/28/13 at 13:31:32
Post Tools
Is it possible to read the book on 2 different devices (phone and tablet) or you`re bound to a device with which you bought the book?
Is it possible to re-download the book again in case it was deleted from your device?
TIA for the answers

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #38 - 08/28/13 at 07:35:41
Post Tools
I have 'Most instructive amateur games' at 1.8 MB on my Android phone.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #37 - 08/27/13 at 23:24:38
Post Tools
On my iPad, it uses about 23 MB.  The app itself is 7.4 MB.  The books take up the remaining 16 MB.  I have downloaded the Dreev and Korneev books, as well as some of the samples, so would guess that each of the standard-sized books is somewhere between 5 and 10 MB.

IP Logged

caph1
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 08/27/13 at 19:07:32
Post Tools
I mean size on disk

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 08/27/13 at 18:35:54
Post Tools
As big as your screen/tablet...

IP Logged

caph1
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 08/27/13 at 15:18:21
Post Tools
Anyone knows what is the size of Forward Chess ebooks?

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 08/25/13 at 18:10:40
Post Tools
Certainly ForwardChess is like a playable e-book. But is it also possible to convert any available chessbook into an e-book on your own with this programm? That would be a great feature.

I use neither a tablet nor a smartphone so sadly I will not be able to use this otherwise very interesting programm.

There are certainly some customers out there who are like me but I find it understandable that you prefer to make piracy as difficult as possible.

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #32 - 08/25/13 at 16:28:05
Post Tools
Fllg wrote on 08/25/13 at 15:25:40:
Bibs wrote on 08/25/13 at 07:07:50:
Going digital totally. Am chopping spines off and scanning in all non-hardbacks. (ScanSnap is fast). Time to clear the house, keep the wife happy, and make everything more convenient. Win-win.

A Software able to convert written text into a playable e-book - that would be great.

Or does something like that already exist?

Btw, is there also a version of Forward Chess running on Windows?

Is not ForwardChess something like that? A playable e-book? I doubt it will be made for Windows - only due to security reasons.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 08/25/13 at 15:25:40
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 08/25/13 at 07:07:50:
Going digital totally. Am chopping spines off and scanning in all non-hardbacks. (ScanSnap is fast). Time to clear the house, keep the wife happy, and make everything more convenient. Win-win.

A Software able to convert written text into a playable e-book - that would be great.

Or does something like that already exist?

Btw, is there also a version of Forward Chess running on Windows?

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #30 - 08/25/13 at 07:07:50
Post Tools
fling wrote on 08/25/13 at 04:34:27:
It works fine on my Nexus 7. Still waiting for Quality Chess books, though...

Me too, look forward to that. Come on QC, do catch up...!

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 08/25/13 at 04:34:27
Post Tools
It works fine on my Nexus 7. Still waiting for Quality Chess books, though...

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #28 - 08/24/13 at 15:23:38
Post Tools
Anyone get Forward Chess to work on an Android tablet?  I have a Kindle Fire HD (rooted).  I installed Forward chess, but the moment I try launching it I get the error mesage, "Forward Chess has stopped working."  The app closes and that's that. 

I've tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc.  It happens every time.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 08/18/13 at 14:48:46
Post Tools
Semkov wrote on 08/17/13 at 13:50:56:
I think that you should be able to download it on the Samsung - manually. You install the app and download the book.

The next version will have an engine added.

It worked after an hour wait or so.

Engine might be good to have, as would a bookmarking and note function.

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #26 - 08/17/13 at 13:50:56
Post Tools
I think that you should be able to download it on the Samsung - manually. You install the app and download the book.

The next version will have an engine added.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 08/17/13 at 11:02:06
Post Tools
Now there is Forward Chess for Android!

I like it, but have one problem. Bought books on my Nexus 7, but they don't show up in My books list on my Samsung S4.

Still, I am happy I can buy more books now, and yet have room in the book shelf Smiley

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 08/08/13 at 15:39:45
Post Tools
fling wrote on 03/07/13 at 08:53:31:
fling wrote on 02/26/13 at 09:47:38:
This seems like a promising app. Just one problem. Only for iPhone it seems... I emailed them about an Android version, but haven't gotten any answer.

Still nothing, I have to say I am a bit disappointed. Too bad, I really like e-books because I can bring more books with me that way, and also have more space at home!

As you may have seen at other places, the app for Android is on its way. I am eagerly awaiting the release!

I also have to add that I have gotten much better response lately from the team. Maybe my first e-mail got lost somewhere.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 08/03/13 at 20:09:19
Post Tools
Semkov wrote on 07/31/13 at 14:12:27:
The Android version is being cooked and has even entered beta testing...

Wow, finally! Sorry for just sending you yet another email bugging you about information, instead of checking here  Grin

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #22 - 07/31/13 at 14:12:27
Post Tools
The Android version is being cooked and has even entered beta testing...

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #21 - 06/25/13 at 11:28:25
Post Tools
It is not for playing, it is more a reader. I am waiting for Forward Chess for Android.  Smiley

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 06/08/13 at 13:28:52
Post Tools
Just checked the forward chess website. Seems that Quality Chess is now on board! Look forward to seeing what titles will come from them.

I know that lots of my posts here have been pro Forward Chess, but I feel I should emphasise that I have no connection with them. It's just that they are putting some great books into electronic form, so I think I should share the love.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #19 - 05/20/13 at 21:21:54
Post Tools
gillbod wrote on 05/18/13 at 23:53:18:
All in all, this is great for those of us who would like to buy books without our other halves finding out...

Being too weak to talk about shoes and shirts and shopping leaves you in a lost position.  Cheesy

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 05/20/13 at 05:52:11
Post Tools
gillbod wrote on 05/18/13 at 23:53:18:
All in all, this is great for those of us who would like to buy books without our other halves finding out...

LOL! Kinda is good for me, since I own too many books. But the main thing is to be able to bring the books on trips without breaking my back, and saving space in the bookshelves. A bonus is to see the positions on a board of course.

The big drawback with the app is that it still does NOT exist for Android Sad (which nowadays has surpassed iOS AFAIK).

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 05/18/13 at 23:53:18
Post Tools
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I just got the app a couple of weeks ago, and I'm very optimistic about it so far. They have added many more Chess Stars titles (The Petroff and The Berlin Wall, French Defence Reloaded, Bologan's KID and others), and I've been told via email that Wojo's Weapons volumes 1 and 2 (3 is already available) are on their way, although the conversion purpose takes some time.

Also, Dvoretsky's Endgame manual is also on its way, which is good.

Interface-wise, I prefer E-plus books, which seems a bit more polished. But I prefer forward chess to Everyman, which is essentially just a PGN viewer.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #16 - 04/14/13 at 17:38:35
Post Tools
I am looking forward to a normal windows version! It would be nice to access the books in diferent ways, because for example with Chess Applications, I had dowloaded the Open Ruy Lopez ebook for my desktop windows and it is possible to add notes from the latest QC book on this opening in that ebook or strong engine analysis and then download the same application for iPAD and have all the notes there ready to travel. The possibility of making annotations is important altough in this way there is no need to have a strong engine on ipad.  Smiley

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 03/23/13 at 12:29:00
Post Tools
This sounds really interesting and I am looking forward to the Android version!

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 03/23/13 at 11:36:01
Post Tools
I bought Open Games and I think it is quite nice.
I have the book already as a "normal" book, but It is now very easy to go through al variations  , without having to set the board...
I also tried it on my iphone, and even there it works Wink

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #13 - 03/22/13 at 17:00:55
Post Tools
i downloaded the Forward chess app and bought The Sharpest Sicilian - I was quite happy with it.

But since downloading the update of the Forward Chess app earlier this week I can no longer access this book.

I have tried going into "Store" and selecting Restore Transactions; it makes no difference. When I go into "My Books" and try to open The Sharpest Sicilian I get the message "Folder does not exist". Yet the User Guide in "My Books" opens as normal.

Anyone else had this/solved this problem? I tried emailing  info@forwardchess.com on Wednesday, but have had no reply.

Later: I have now kindly received advice from Semko. I deleted the book in My Books, then went into Store, clicked Restore Transactions and input my Ipad password. I then went back into My Books and now The Sharpest Sicilian was available again and working as normal.
« Last Edit: 03/22/13 at 18:08:55 by Paddy »  

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #12 - 03/19/13 at 18:39:06
Post Tools
I would like to mention that ForwardChess allows the books to look exactly as they are in print. Unlike pgn viewers like Everyman's, it supports in-text diagrams, any kind of formatting, headings, sub-headings, but most importantly - a normal book structure. That means multiple game fragments in one chapter (Chess Base/pgn format allows only one file-one game), retrospections, comparisons to similar positions. I tried to input a Chess Stars book into Chess Base but it proved to be impossible. Forwardchess had to develop a new technology to make it possible.

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #11 - 03/19/13 at 18:30:59
Post Tools
fling wrote on 03/07/13 at 08:53:31:
This seems like a promising app. Just one problem. Only for iPhone it seems... I emailed them about an Android version, but haven't gotten any answer.

Still nothing, I have to say I am a bit disappointed. Too bad, I really like e-books because I can bring more books with me that way, and also have more space at home!

I'm sorry, your question somehow missed me. Forwardchess is planning to offer a similar Android app, but the timing will probably depend on the way readers meet the Ipad app.
Ipad Emulators for PC will not help as Apple has a very rigidly controlled ecosystem. So the books will simply not work.
« Last Edit: 03/20/13 at 14:42:23 by Semkov »  
IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 03/07/13 at 08:53:31
Post Tools

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 02/26/13 at 09:47:38
Post Tools

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #8 - 02/25/13 at 23:58:57
Post Tools
I tried out Forward Chess. I do like it. Intriguingly, they state that it is a "collaboration  of several chess publishers." The samples so far are from Chess Stars and Mongoose Press. Perhaps other publishers are on board or will come aboard in the near future.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 02/25/13 at 15:56:46
Post Tools
Being pedantic I presume that there probably is some sort of emulator in the various development kits but it'll be distinctly non trivial Smiley Different processor architecture, operating system, screen, method of interaction (no touch!) etc etc.

So long as the data concerned is using standard file formats there'll be plenty of desktop based software for interacting with it.

Standard, open, file formats a very good thing of course if often elusive.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #6 - 02/25/13 at 15:51:58
Post Tools
Thanks for that info.

But what I really meant to ask was: Is there a way to emulate an iPad on a PC, analogous to "Kindle for PC"? I haven't bothered with buying an iPad or even a smartphone yet.

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #5 - 02/25/13 at 10:33:53
Post Tools
I would also like to add Chess Opening Trainer, my favourite ipad chess app, which I use in the same way as bookup to enter and maintain my repertoire. I dont use this trainer function though.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #4 - 02/25/13 at 03:06:15
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 02/24/13 at 16:33:11:
This may be a stupid question, but when something like this is made for iPad, are there programs available to use it on a good old PC as well? (Or would i perhaps need a Mac?)

I'm a bit behind on this whole iPad/iPhone/Android/Kindle etc. revolution. But I downloaded the Kindle Reader for PC recently; works well and could save some precious bookshelf space!

I mainly use a  PC; my most useful took for "serious" chess work has been, and remains, Chessbase, plus various engines.

I also use the PC version of Kindle, since more and more chess books are gradually becoming available in Kindle format. I also use a real Kindle for travel.

However, recently I acquired an IPad and have started looking for and at chess apps. I would regard these in all cases as inessential but in some cases as very nice to have. Some are also undeniably quite useful IMHO but none so far come close to Chessbase for what I mainly want to do: basically personal study using databases and engines and production of regular coaching materials (annotated games, puzzle positions, notes on various chess topics).

So far my impression is that the typical chess concept for IPad is a "reader" app that is free, but with content available that needs to be paid for, which can be done easily and fairly cheaply in most cases via ITunes..

These are the IPad apps I've looked at so far:

Chess Viewer: a pgn reader, which for instance enables the pgn versions of Everyman e-books to be read on an IPad

CB Online - another pgn reader with some database functions; considering this comes from Chessbase, I find it rather disappointing in its functionality, but perhaps I'm missing something.

e+Chess Books - a program to read chess e-books with the neat facility to play through the moves on a handy board - very nice, but with only a few, slightly oddly chosen, titles so far available for purchase.

ChessApps - very similar to e+Chess Books - the ebooks available so far are mainly in Spanish. This one is also available for PC though.

ChessU is a bit unusual; it's based on purchasable courses (openings, great players, endgames) with questions and answers to work through.

A more traditional "Fritz" type program is the quite nice IPad version of Hiarcs.

As you would expect, the seemingly thriving websites chess.com and ICC have decent free IPad apps that allow you to access pretty much the same web content as on a PC.

There's also a nice Kindle app for IPad.

I hope this is informative.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #3 - 02/24/13 at 16:33:11
Post Tools
This may be a stupid question, but when something like this is made for iPad, are there programs available to use it on a good old PC as well? (Or would i perhaps need a Mac?)

I'm a bit behind on this whole iPad/iPhone/Android/Kindle etc. revolution. But I downloaded the Kindle Reader for PC recently; works well and could save some precious bookshelf space!

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #2 - 02/24/13 at 12:44:02
Post Tools
This looks quite similar to the e+ chess app, but without as many features, yet.
Certainly worth downloading.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/24/13 at 08:34:12
Post Tools
Mortal Games wrote on 02/24/13 at 00:12:20:
Chess Stars publishing goes into the future with a new aplication for Ipad users with 3 e-books (Safest Grunfeld, Sharpest Sicilian and Modern Reti). Anyone have any views on this?
http://www.chess-stars.com/Forwardchess.html

Can we use an engine?

Thanks MG, downloaded Najdorf. Easy to use, I like it.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Forward Chess for Ipad
02/24/13 at 00:12:20
Post Tools
Chess Stars publishing goes into the future with a new aplication for Ipad users with 3 e-books (Safest Grunfeld, Sharpest Sicilian and Modern Reti). Anyone have any views on this?
http://www.chess-stars.com/Forwardchess.html

Can we use an engine?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo