Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Benoni Book (Read 26223 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: New Benoni Book
Reply #4 - 03/11/13 at 15:41:39
Post Tools
Indeed, if Black could count on being able to transpose from a Classical KID to a Classical Modern Benoni, it would presumably be significantly more common for Black to play like that.

I recall Yermolinsky writing about being thrown by one of the standard transpositions (something like 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5. Bd3 0-0 6. Nge2 c5 7. d5 e6 8. 0-0 ed 9. cd or 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5. f3 0-0 6. Bg5 c5 7. d5 e6 8. Qd2 ed 9. cd -- in trying to look it up, it took a while to dawn on him that it's a Modern Benoni).

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 03/11/13 at 15:06:16
Post Tools
That won't be covered in any modern benoni book as it isn't a modern benoni Smiley There's an everyman starting out the benoni book which gives OK coverage for all of this sundry benoni stuff.

Or work it out from databases. If a few GMs etc doing it then likely fine, else quite possibly not Smiley

White going d5 then meeting e6, ed with ed is one potential problem with this sort of thing. The other vs the classical at least is white going for an accelerated dragon.

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/11/13 at 14:32:40
Post Tools
Hi,

I would be interested if the author will give an explanation if the current position can be reached via a KID move-order like: “This position can be reached via the KID line 1.d4 Nf6….”.
The reason why I ask is that I play the KID exclusively and I want to extend my repertoire, starting with KID and transpose to Modern Benoni.
Does anybody have experience with this kind of transposition?
I am a little bit sceptical when White takes with the e-pawn on d5 (see Carlsen-van Wely, Wijk ann Zee 2013). I don´t think that this is covered in the “Modern Benoni”-book because it only seems to handle the move-order 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e6, so White doesn´t have the chance to take on d5 with the e-pawn.

IP Logged

MarkG

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 03/09/13 at 17:12:07
Post Tools
I had a few hours on a flight the other night so I worked through the sample chapter on the Mikenas Attack that is available for download. I was very impressed by what I saw. To avoid giving long lines here, I will assume you have the sample pdf and just reference page numbers.

The Mikenas is a theoretical backwater and most books just cover the same ground because black is fine in these lines. Petrov isn't satisfied to do just that and gives some new ideas anyway. For example, on page 13 the moves 12...Rd8 and 12...e4 13. Ng5 Bd4 are new to me. So, based on this small sample, it looks like the book will have a lot of original material.

The other characteristic that struck me was that Petrov expects the reader to do some work. This is not a book for the lazy. For example, on page 13 he gives this note (edited slightly):
"11.Nb5? is deservedly rare: 11...Re8 12.d6+ Kf8 13.Nc7 For some reason the natural 13...Qh4+!N has not been played so far, but it brings Black a clear advantage as shown after: 14.g3 exf4+"
Now Petrov gives only 15.Kf2 without comment. Hmmm - not what I would have considered as the first candidate move Smiley Alternatives - including the obvious one - are simply not mentioned. Readers are clearly expected to work this sharp position out for themselves.

In summary, based on the available sample, I think this looks like it might be the single best Benoni book for strong players who are willing to work hard.

IP Logged

Benoniac

Don`t become what you
hate

New Benoni Book
03/02/13 at 18:28:58
Post Tools
Has anyone here mentioned the book who`s coming up from Qualitychess.com regarding the Benoni? Marian Petrov is the author, and its 308 pages long. Could be interesting Smiley

Realese date is set to 15 this month.

Ben

People dont live or die, people just float
B Dylan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo