Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Nimzo/Bogo-Indian Repertoire book (Read 96945 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: New Nimzo/Bogo-Indian Repertoire book
Reply #114 - 07/20/15 at 18:43:00
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 07/20/15 at 18:19:11:
Hi Tony. No, I don't think it's in the book - it's an invention of Raymond Keene as kylemeister says, except that whereas Keene's idea was to meet f2-f3 with ...d6 and ...e5, the modern approach is to go for ...d5, I believe. ISO 7 f3 White has tried 7 Qc2!? a bit, meeting 7 ...d6 with either 8 Bg5 or 8 e4. After 8 Bg5 I believe 8 ...Nfd7 is favoured; 8 e4 has (usually?) been met by 8 ...Nc6, but I'm more interested in 8 ...e5, when after 9 d5 I reckon both 9 ...a5 (which has been seen) and 8 ...Nh5 (which hasn't?) could well be OK. I haven't seen the Yearbook article though -- maybe it sheds some light on this?

Regarding that last line, the article only mentioned 9...a5, citing a game (Sisatto-Salimaki) which was drawn in 18 moves.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #113 - 07/20/15 at 18:23:28
Post Tools
Ah okay, thanks. I misread your post and thought perhaps Christoph had a secondary variation in the book. Thanks for the info!

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #112 - 07/20/15 at 18:19:11
Post Tools
Hi Tony. No, I don't think it's in the book - it's an invention of Raymond Keene as kylemeister says, except that whereas Keene's idea was to meet f2-f3 with ...d6 and ...e5, the modern approach is to go for ...d5, I believe. ISO 7 f3 White has tried 7 Qc2!? a bit, meeting 7 ...d6 with either 8 Bg5 or 8 e4. After 8 Bg5 I believe 8 ...Nfd7 is favoured; 8 e4 has (usually?) been met by 8 ...Nc6, but I'm more interested in 8 ...e5, when after 9 d5 I reckon both 9 ...a5 (which has been seen) and 8 ...Nh5 (which hasn't?) could well be OK. I haven't seen the Yearbook article though -- maybe it sheds some light on this?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #111 - 07/20/15 at 18:04:40
Post Tools
Very interesting idea, I have never seen that. That's in the Sielecki book!?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #110 - 07/20/15 at 17:44:49
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 07/20/15 at 15:46:10:
It's great when an interesting book comes out and makes wider waves around the subject, so to say ... I've now got interested in (the very playable) 4 Qc2 0-0 5 a3 Bc3 6 Qc3 Qe8!? as well!

Incidentally 6...Qe8 was the subject of a Yearbook article in 2012 (complete with a picture of Raymond Keene, who originated it in the '70s).  The author, IM Alejo de Doviitis, opined that "Black can reach equality in all lines," though White "can battle for some advantage with 7. f3."

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #109 - 07/20/15 at 15:46:10
Post Tools
It's great when an interesting book comes out and makes wider waves around the subject, so to say ... I've now got interested in (the very playable) 4 Qc2 0-0 5 a3 Bc3 6 Qc3 Qe8!? as well!

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #108 - 07/20/15 at 14:33:24
Post Tools
I got my copy during the swedish championship but in all my black games I met 1 e4 except in the blitz championship.

I have read the first three chapters now and I realy like it especailly two systems vs f3.
A funny thing is that one of my friends met the Leningrad one game and he played this books line and won Smiley

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #107 - 07/17/15 at 23:21:42
Post Tools
I know about the Zürich -- I've been a Tango player for years! But 4 Qc2 d6!? is a different variation, and a very interesting one ...

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #106 - 07/17/15 at 23:18:58
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 07/17/15 at 22:50:07:
I’m really looking forward to getting my copy of this, to sit alongside Tony Ro’s recent great book on the Kalashnikov Sicilian.

You still do not have it?! Cheesy

Michael Ayton wrote on 07/17/15 at 22:50:07:
Only trouble is, Christoph has got me interested in another variation mentioned in the book but not treated there, namely 4 Qc2 d6!?. But that’s chess, and the Nimzo-Indian – endlessly rich!

It is the Zürich, 4. Dc2 Sc6. It reminds me actually more of the classical Bogo-style setup than a Nimzo. It is not as theoretical as 4...d5 or 4...0-0 to mine eyes though.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #105 - 07/17/15 at 22:50:07
Post Tools
I’m really looking forward to getting my copy of this, to sit alongside Tony Ro’s recent great book on the Kalashnikov Sicilian. ChessPub authors lead the way! It’s clear from the sample that here’s a author whose writing focuses attention on the matter in hand, not on itself – in contradistinction to that of another much-discussed author one could name ... I learnt a lot just by looking at the stuff in the sample on the Hübner Variation. Only trouble is, Christof has got me interested in another variation mentioned in the book but not treated there, namely 4 Qc2 d6!?. But that’s chess, and the Nimzo-Indian – endlessly rich!

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #104 - 07/13/15 at 03:00:17
Post Tools
I really like this book. I am not a longlife Nimzo player, having played it only a few times off and on, but I always played 4...c5 against Classical. Is it the case that if White sometimes get a very slight +=, the position is closed anyway, so that any small inaccuracy and Black equalises easily? I was analyseing this 4...Sc6 for the foregoing week and it seems like there is less memorising than other lines. I was thinking though that it would be very good if the 4...c5 lines were covered in addition as an alternate line, with 4. Dc2 c5 5. dxc5 Lxc5. I know that it is Hedgehoglike, but they are not as heavily analysed as 4...d5 or 4...0-0, as far as I know.

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #103 - 07/12/15 at 15:10:13
Post Tools
I was surprised that vs the Bd3/Ne2 setup there is basically no alternative to play that anti-IQP position. I would have preferred to give something more in spirit of the other lines, but there simply is no good alternative. It is quite easy to play though for Black.
This Modern Benoni is so comfortable for Black that even Modern Benoni skeptics (like me!) should go for it  Grin

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #102 - 07/12/15 at 13:28:38
Post Tools
Eh, the huge variety helps keep the opening fresh Smiley
(And is a huge practical advantage of course as so many quite different ways to meet most of whites ideas.).

Think I can see where that modern benoni must have come from.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #101 - 07/12/15 at 12:39:38
Post Tools
Thanks for your remarks.

The only thing that I think so far could have objectively been done better is the index of variations. Everything else is just personal preference.

Of course I have only browsed the other chapters but am completely happy so far with the variations you choose and look forward to study them further.

As I already stated above I know almost nothing about the Nimzo/Bogo after playing dark-square defences against 1.d4 (mainly the KID) literally for decades. This is the first time I study the Nimzo/Bogo. I just think the cover blurb is a bit misleading.

These three positions, all from the Rubinstein and with their own chapter, cannot be more different:

And before buying the book I would never have thought reaching such a position is even possible in the Nimzo (!):

Again, no criticism is involved here by my side regarding the choice of variations. But it should be clear that the ´promised´ system-type approach doesn´t work here. Fortunately for me I know something about the IQP from the white side and the Modern Benoni from the black side.  Wink

Keep up the good work!

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #100 - 07/11/15 at 23:13:14
Post Tools
Thanks for the feedback, here are some remarks.

Fllg wrote on 07/11/15 at 19:51:58:
My eye was caught by the back cover blurb promising a system-type approach based on a dark-square strategy. I assumed that would mean Black to play ...d6 and ...e5 more or less against everything, but in the Nimzo this is only the case versus the Classical. Otherwise ...c5 & ...d6 is mainly suggested where appropriate.

...c5 & ...d6 is dark-squared as opposed to ...d5 based systems. d5 based lines are only given when there was no way around it, like vs. White playing Bd3 and Nge2 in the Rubinstein. Sticking to a certain approach slavishly reduces quality of lines too much - 'd6 and e5 against everything!' simply does not work.

that there arise a plethora of different structures like the Carlsbad, Old Indian, Nimzo-Benoni (with the bishop on b4), Modern Benoni (rerouting the bishop from b4 to g7 via f8), French (!), reversed Catalan, playing against an IQP and with hanging pawns

Yep, there are some structures possible in the repertoire. However it mostly will be harmless versions of those structures for black. It is not like I suggest something different from the start against everything, but if you get a good position like a 'reversed catalan' with a great bishop on g7 you are happy to take it. The flexibility of structures is a great point of the Nimzo in particular.

1. A tree structure is vastly superior over complete games.

A tricky question that I was not sure about when I started the project. I like game based approaches for repertoire books as the tree suggests a false sense of completeness, but I totally understand the preference for the tree. I guess it is a matter of personal taste/preference.

2. Printing in a single column format seems like a waste of space to me. Double columns should be preferred.

I think 'Everyman' has this format for this particular series of books, I didn't really got involved in this decision. I never put much thought into it, but I see your point. I am not quite sure why they choose one particular layout in certain cases. I'd like to make a comparison with other books on my shelf, but I am currently away from home so there is no opportunity.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo