Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Nimzo/Bogo-Indian Repertoire book (Read 128693 times)
WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New Nimzo/Bogo-Indian Repertoire book
Reply #129 - 02/05/16 at 13:13:35
Post Tools
I too have purchased Christof's book and I have found it to be very well written.  He has put obvious care and effort into his explanations making it accessible to both players who are relatively new to the Nimzo/Bogo as well as beneficial to experienced players who like the lines he has chosen.  Well done!

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #128 - 01/21/16 at 20:12:01
Post Tools
I stand corrected. You're welcome; thank you for writing it! I've never seen such a clear explanation of the Huebner.

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #127 - 01/20/16 at 22:49:19
Post Tools
I actually wrote that I like my line better than the closed centre line - and I am still convinced that is pretty good. The main point was to explain why I didn't play the obvious choice, as it looks like perfectly suited to the general theme of the book. I also could have covered the same line like John Emms did, but I liked to explore things that weren't covered before in books. Thanks for the positive feedback on the book in general!

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #126 - 01/19/16 at 14:23:11
Post Tools
Just got the book--it looks great! I love its German feel.

Some of the posters above seem to be unaware that this book was done for a publisher one of whose editors wrote two previous books on the Nimzo. The author could not have been more direct about this, short of saying "You should play the dark-square center as covered in Emms' second book against the Leningrad; it is what is really in the spirit of this book, but I wasn't allowed to write that chapter." Neither Everyman nor Sielecki is to blame here; both acted honorably and Everyman permitted the author to explain the situation clearly enough, if diplomatically.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #125 - 01/07/16 at 10:39:37
Post Tools
Dunno, has it ever looked that way?

The relevant DW chapter hardly claimed a win. iirc Petrov covered it for black in the relevant GM repetoire book a couple of years back which is a fair guide for at least plausible soundness.

Its very risky/tactically concrete of course. When I looked at it it looked scary, but appropriate enough for use surprising certain classes of white players.
(Or for more regular use if you've got a very good memory.).

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #124 - 01/06/16 at 22:22:18
Post Tools
cream wrote on 01/06/16 at 21:48:42:
Against 3.g3 I would have preferred c5 instead of Bb4+, as Black seems to be in good shape after 4.d5 exd5 5.cxd5 b5 and 4.Nf3 cxd4 5.Nxd4 d5. But this is just my own preference.

I thought black was more or less busted in the 3.g3 c5 4.d5 exd5 5.cxd5 b5 line (when white sacs the e-pawn), did something change there?

IP Logged

cream
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #123 - 01/06/16 at 21:48:42
Post Tools
I have received my copy of this book just a few weeks ago, so let me share my impression with you.
I can confirm that it's a really good book although I have neither read the entire book nor the greatest knowledge about the Nimzo-Indian.
The chapter about the 4.e3 line and its explanations about the three different set-ups (Ne2, Bd3/Ne2, Bd3/Nf3) is really great! The author's explanations about the different ideas in these lines provide a deep look inside and they are really helpful. Besides this, I disagree with the fact that many guys don't prefer fully annotated games instead of trees, as the author deals with a plethora of variations, so that the games can be more or less regarded as framework.
Another big plus of this book is the fact that the author provides a lot of his own analysis and does not simply reflect the current state of theory. Obviously, the author has spent a lot of work with it. He also mentions that he didn't manage to make several lines working, which underlines this fact as well.

On the other hand a few negative points must be mentioned, too. In my opinion, the Zurich Variation (4.Qc2 Nc6) is not fully convincing - at least for me. In my opinion there are three reliable alternatives (4...c5, d5, 0-0). Instead he provides a line including a pawn sacrifice which is mainly based on his own analysis. Fortunately he provides a postional sideline, so this sacrifice is not mandatory. I have to admit that I couldn't find a refutation, but a negative feeling remains. Besides this, my engine prefers the white side in some variations and so do I.
Against 3.g3 I would have preferred c5 instead of Bb4+, as Black seems to be in good shape after 4.d5 exd5 5.cxd5 b5 and 4.Nf3 cxd4 5.Nxd4 d5. But this is just my own preference.

After all, it's just a really good book, so I advise everyone interested to have a look at it!

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #122 - 01/06/16 at 15:17:56
Post Tools
I think you are missing that there are 2 versions of Avrukh's book. Vol 2 published in 2010 does cover the line you mentioned with 8.a3. For the revised series, the Bogo is in vol 1A with the Catalan (published in 2015). On page 306 (of the new book) Avrukh notes that he changed to 8.0-0, since his recommendation of 8.a3 "didn't fully satisfy me". He does give a sample line to show why he no longer favors 8.a3.

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #121 - 12/13/15 at 17:22:19
Post Tools
I looked to see what Sielecki gives against Avrukh's repertoire. Avrukh gives 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.g3 Bb4+ 4.Bd2 a5 5.Bg2 d6 6.e4 0-0 7.Ne2 e5 8.a3, forcing the exchange of bishops. Sielecki doesn't mention 8.a3 and gives only a line against 8.0-0, reaching a position after Black's 10th which he says is Avrukh's recommendation - but in which White has not played a3. Am I missing something?

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #120 - 09/26/15 at 01:27:17
Post Tools
The square colors on the book cover are incorrect.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #119 - 08/31/15 at 12:02:33
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 08/29/15 at 20:00:43:
I have not read the Bogo Indian part yet but the I have read the Nimzo part a couple of times and it looks very good and I have completly changed by Nimzo repertour towards the books recommendations.

More or less the same as me.

Last week I was crushed in the Sämisch line with f3 using "my" line with a quick c5+d5 (4.a3 Bxc3+ 5.bxc3 c5 6.f3 d5) and after reading the chapters in the book I am planning to change my options against 4.a3 and 4.f3.

Smiley

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #118 - 08/29/15 at 20:00:43
Post Tools
I have not read the Bogo Indian part yet but the I have read the Nimzo part a couple of times and it looks very good and I have completly changed by Nimzo repertour towards the books recommendations.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #117 - 08/28/15 at 08:30:52
Post Tools
The more I check the lines in the book the more I like them and how they are showed to us.

Congrats and thx for the book, chessexplained

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #116 - 07/21/15 at 20:18:13
Post Tools
4...d6 is indeed interesting. I didn't choose it because it demands lots of flexibility from the black player in terms of pawn structures. The lines mentioned above after 4...00 are also worth checking, but also were tricky to cover, as 4...00 has important sidelines like 5 e4 or 5 Nf3. It would have been too much for just a 'secondary option'.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #115 - 07/20/15 at 19:01:57
Post Tools
Quote:
a game (Sisatto-Salimaki) which was drawn in 18 moves.

There, 10 b3 looks to me maybe too slow to cause trouble, but that's just on a quick glance! Maybe Black could have gone ...Nh5 at some point in this game too?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo