Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Nimzo/Bogo-Indian Repertoire book (Read 128645 times)
Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New Nimzo/Bogo-Indian Repertoire book
Reply #99 - 07/11/15 at 19:51:58
Post Tools
I quite like the book.

My eye was caught by the back cover blurb promising a system-type approach based on a dark-square strategy. I assumed that would mean Black to play ...d6 and ...e5 more or less against everything, but in the Nimzo this is only the case versus the Classical. Otherwise ...c5 & ...d6 is mainly suggested where appropriate.

So far I have only started reading the chapters about the Rubinstein and was slightly surprised to find out that there arise a plethora of different structures like the Carlsbad, Old Indian, Nimzo-Benoni (with the bishop on b4), Modern Benoni (rerouting the bishop from b4 to g7 via f8), French (!), reversed Catalan, playing against an IQP and with hanging pawns. And there is also of course the Hübner with its many transpositional possiblities and different plans which the author does his best to explain to the reader.

Don´t get me wrong, I don´t mention this to critizise the author´s choices, but want to highlight the complexity of the material. To be able to play the suggested lines against the Rubinstein well it certainly helps to have some experience with the above mentioned structures.

I like that whenever possible lines with active counterplay are preferred over passive solidity or dull equality.

There are two things which in my opinion could have been done better:

1. A tree structure is vastly superior over complete games. Illustrative games are very welcome but should be separated from the theoretical sections. If you choose to cover the material with complete games a very detailed index of variations should be provided which unfortunately is not quite the case here. I know next to nothing about the Nimzo and so was surprised that no mention of the line 4.g3 (played by Kasparov, Kramnik, Anand, Carlsen...) was made in the index and just found out it is covered in the introduction of the chapter about 4.Nf3 to which it is linked.

2. Printing in a single column format seems like a waste of space to me. Double columns should be preferred.

Apart from that the book is well produced.

From what I have seen I recommend the book to anyone looking for an ambitious repertoire for Black against 1.d4/2.c4 3.Nc3/Nf3/g3. Christof Sielecki makes me want to try out the suggested lines which is all I can ask for.

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #98 - 07/11/15 at 13:32:17
Post Tools
After 4...c5 5 Ne2 black is either (slightly) worse or has to play 5...b6 6 a3 Ba5 which is not everybody's cup of tea. I did consider that option, but this line is just not to my taste. It's also rather non-thematic compared to other lines in the chosen repertoire.

And ultimately: I really did not see any benefit for not having castled in the Hübner, so 4...0-0 is just better I think.

I guess some people have received their copies by now, so I am happy to get feedback on the book. Please post what you think about it.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #97 - 07/11/15 at 12:32:18
Post Tools
He avoids 4.e3 c5 5.Nge2 which is probably the best version of the Ne2 systems. If the Hubner isn't to one's liking, it's also possible to play 6...b6 7.0-0 Bb7 instead of 6...Nc6 7.0-0 Bxc3.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #96 - 07/11/15 at 11:09:50
Post Tools
So, putting the same question another way, what is the advantage to Black of delaying castling? Obviously he loses the possibility of 000 in certain lines; what is he getting in return?

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #95 - 07/03/15 at 17:50:38
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 06/25/15 at 16:37:55:
When did playing the Hubner with an early ...00 become socially acceptable? I remember Nigel doing it in his first tournament in Russia and someone (Taimanov, maybe) describing it as 'characteristic of the sometimes staggering gaps in Short's opening knowledge'. BITD it was all ...Nc6/...d6 and sometimes later ...000.

I had this same question as well; I remember Mednis saying that early castling in the Hubner was dubious for Black.  But then a lot of strong players started doing it, and I think Sokolov only considered that move order in his Strategic Nimzo-Indian book, if I'm not mistaken.

So I guess times change, and I'm curious to get my hands on this new book.

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #94 - 07/03/15 at 17:13:54
Post Tools
Just to let you know that my copy arrived today, although I haven't had time to look through it much yet. The brief glance I have had was encouraging though.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #93 - 06/25/15 at 20:00:02
Post Tools
One thing is, 4...0-0 5. Bd3 c5 6. Nf3 Nc6 7. d5 used to be considered favorable for White.  In the late '70s, ECO (Kotov) had it as leading to ±.  A couple of decades later, ECO had it as leading to +=, citing among other things Taimanov-Short 1983.  Sokolov (2012) thought it should be equal.

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #92 - 06/25/15 at 19:23:10
Post Tools
Some years ago I also thought that the early 00 is problematic for Black. However Ivan Sokolov, much to my surprise, gave the 4...00 move order for the Huebner. I did some checks myself and found out that in many cases Black does castle early, even when he started 4...c5 in the first place. I really see no problem at all to start with 4...00 - in fact it is the more popular move order nowadays as people are keen to avoid 4...c5 5 Ne2.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #91 - 06/25/15 at 16:37:55
Post Tools
When did playing the Hubner with an early ...00 become socially acceptable? I remember Nigel doing it in his first tournament in Russia and someone (Taimanov, maybe) describing it as 'characteristic of the sometimes staggering gaps in Short's opening knowledge'. BITD it was all ...Nc6/...d6 and sometimes later ...000.

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #90 - 06/25/15 at 13:03:50
Post Tools
Contents

About the author 3

Bibliography 5

Introduction 7

1 Nimzo-Indian: Rare Lines 11

2 Nimzo-Indian: Sämisch Variation, 4 a3 30

3 Nimzo-Indian: 4 f3 57

4 Nimzo-Indian: Kasparov-Romanishin 4 Nf3 and 5 g3 82

5 Nimzo-Indian: Rubinstein Variation, 4 e3 107

6 Nimzo-Indian: Reshevsky Variation, 4 e3 0-0 5 Ne2 111

7 Nimzo-Indian: 4 e3 0-0 5 Bd3 c5 6 Ne2 128

8 Nimzo-Indian: Hübner Variation, 4 e3 0-0 5 Bd3 c5 6 Nf3 Nc6 7 0-0 Nxc3 8 bxc3 d6 159

9 Nimzo-Indian: Classical Variation, 4 Qc2 216

10 Nimzo-Indian: Zurich Variation, Sidelines and Qxc3 Set-ups 219

11 Nimzo-Indian: Zurich Variation, White Plays Bxc3 261
2 Bogo-Indian with 4 Bd2 a5 300

13 Bogo-Indian with 4 Nbd2 355

14 The Catalan Bogo: 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 g3 Bb4+ 419

Index of Variations 437

Index of Complete Games 439

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #89 - 06/25/15 at 11:35:01
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 06/25/15 at 00:48:18:
I preordered my copy. Is it almost released?

No. I ordered mine from debestezet and they told me it would only arrive at the end of next month Sad. On the plus side, now there is an excerpt available (edit: didn't see TonyRo's post above) 

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #88 - 06/25/15 at 00:48:18
Post Tools
I preordered my copy. Is it almost released?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #87 - 06/24/15 at 14:31:31
Post Tools
The excerpt is up, and it looks great!  Grin

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #86 - 06/16/15 at 08:20:29
Post Tools
Realy interesting lines.

I have played both Qe7 and c5 vs Bd2 Bogo Indian but I have never considered a5, looks like an interesting choiche.

I have been thinking about playing the Hubner after that I read the not that theoretical book "Openings for amaeturs" a few weeks ago so I am looking forward for a repertour in that line.

Having played Zurich in several games during that past few years I am lookig forward for up to date theory. A sidenote is that  "Openings for amaeturs" also went for Zurich and even had a new (but old!) idea vs the critcal Bg5 line.
« Last Edit: 06/16/15 at 16:18:32 by bragesjo »  
IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #85 - 06/15/15 at 23:50:06
Post Tools
Chessexplained wrote on 06/15/15 at 06:29:35:
Stigma wrote on 06/15/15 at 06:13:14:
Can I ask, when you go for the Zürich against 4.Qc2, why not go 4.Nf3 Nc6 as well? Maybe you're worried about 5.e3 or 5.g3, but I think this could be a useful alternative option to 4...c5.

Yes, that's a good option that I mention in the book. Main reason is that the lines that don't transpose, like the ones you mentioned, have not seen much development in recent years. Richard Palliser covered that in 'Tango!' and there was not much to add. Also I really like the line I chose, so I went for it.

Sure, 4...c5 5.g3 Nc6 etc. is interesting. I had this in my repertoire for a while, intending 6.Bg2 Ne4 7.Bd2 Bxc3 8.bxc3 0-0 9.0-0 Na5. But then I was discouraged by some games by Hans Tikkanen on the White side of this; he seemed to have prepared it very well. But Black can deviate of course. I've also found 6.d5 Na5 7.Nd2 a bit annoying.

Anyway, I really like your choices against 4.f3, at least for when Black wants a sharp battle. There's even a third option in the same ballpark: 4...c5 5.d5 0-0 6.e4 Re8!? when White is very likely to go for the transposition with 7.Nge2 d6 etc. Maybe you're going for Blumenfeld-style play with ...b5 even after 6...d6, but the Benoni setup also seems playable. Though I've wondered if Black can even play it Benoni style keeping the rook on f8 and either using it to support a later ...f5 or doing something else with that tempo.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo