Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Nimzo/Bogo-Indian Repertoire book (Read 93906 times)
WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New Nimzo/Bogo-Indian Repertoire book
Reply #129 - 02/05/16 at 13:13:35
Post Tools
I too have purchased Christof's book and I have found it to be very well written.  He has put obvious care and effort into his explanations making it accessible to both players who are relatively new to the Nimzo/Bogo as well as beneficial to experienced players who like the lines he has chosen.  Well done!

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #128 - 01/21/16 at 20:12:01
Post Tools
I stand corrected. You're welcome; thank you for writing it! I've never seen such a clear explanation of the Huebner.

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #127 - 01/20/16 at 22:49:19
Post Tools
I actually wrote that I like my line better than the closed centre line - and I am still convinced that is pretty good. The main point was to explain why I didn't play the obvious choice, as it looks like perfectly suited to the general theme of the book. I also could have covered the same line like John Emms did, but I liked to explore things that weren't covered before in books. Thanks for the positive feedback on the book in general!

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #126 - 01/19/16 at 14:23:11
Post Tools
Just got the book--it looks great! I love its German feel.

Some of the posters above seem to be unaware that this book was done for a publisher one of whose editors wrote two previous books on the Nimzo. The author could not have been more direct about this, short of saying "You should play the dark-square center as covered in Emms' second book against the Leningrad; it is what is really in the spirit of this book, but I wasn't allowed to write that chapter." Neither Everyman nor Sielecki is to blame here; both acted honorably and Everyman permitted the author to explain the situation clearly enough, if diplomatically.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #125 - 01/07/16 at 10:39:37
Post Tools
Dunno, has it ever looked that way?

The relevant DW chapter hardly claimed a win. iirc Petrov covered it for black in the relevant GM repetoire book a couple of years back which is a fair guide for at least plausible soundness.

Its very risky/tactically concrete of course. When I looked at it it looked scary, but appropriate enough for use surprising certain classes of white players.
(Or for more regular use if you've got a very good memory.).

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #124 - 01/06/16 at 22:22:18
Post Tools
cream wrote on 01/06/16 at 21:48:42:
Against 3.g3 I would have preferred c5 instead of Bb4+, as Black seems to be in good shape after 4.d5 exd5 5.cxd5 b5 and 4.Nf3 cxd4 5.Nxd4 d5. But this is just my own preference.

I thought black was more or less busted in the 3.g3 c5 4.d5 exd5 5.cxd5 b5 line (when white sacs the e-pawn), did something change there?

IP Logged

cream
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #123 - 01/06/16 at 21:48:42
Post Tools
I have received my copy of this book just a few weeks ago, so let me share my impression with you.
I can confirm that it's a really good book although I have neither read the entire book nor the greatest knowledge about the Nimzo-Indian.
The chapter about the 4.e3 line and its explanations about the three different set-ups (Ne2, Bd3/Ne2, Bd3/Nf3) is really great! The author's explanations about the different ideas in these lines provide a deep look inside and they are really helpful. Besides this, I disagree with the fact that many guys don't prefer fully annotated games instead of trees, as the author deals with a plethora of variations, so that the games can be more or less regarded as framework.
Another big plus of this book is the fact that the author provides a lot of his own analysis and does not simply reflect the current state of theory. Obviously, the author has spent a lot of work with it. He also mentions that he didn't manage to make several lines working, which underlines this fact as well.

On the other hand a few negative points must be mentioned, too. In my opinion, the Zurich Variation (4.Qc2 Nc6) is not fully convincing - at least for me. In my opinion there are three reliable alternatives (4...c5, d5, 0-0). Instead he provides a line including a pawn sacrifice which is mainly based on his own analysis. Fortunately he provides a postional sideline, so this sacrifice is not mandatory. I have to admit that I couldn't find a refutation, but a negative feeling remains. Besides this, my engine prefers the white side in some variations and so do I.
Against 3.g3 I would have preferred c5 instead of Bb4+, as Black seems to be in good shape after 4.d5 exd5 5.cxd5 b5 and 4.Nf3 cxd4 5.Nxd4 d5. But this is just my own preference.

After all, it's just a really good book, so I advise everyone interested to have a look at it!

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #122 - 01/06/16 at 15:17:56
Post Tools
I think you are missing that there are 2 versions of Avrukh's book. Vol 2 published in 2010 does cover the line you mentioned with 8.a3. For the revised series, the Bogo is in vol 1A with the Catalan (published in 2015). On page 306 (of the new book) Avrukh notes that he changed to 8.0-0, since his recommendation of 8.a3 "didn't fully satisfy me". He does give a sample line to show why he no longer favors 8.a3.

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #121 - 12/13/15 at 17:22:19
Post Tools
I looked to see what Sielecki gives against Avrukh's repertoire. Avrukh gives 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.g3 Bb4+ 4.Bd2 a5 5.Bg2 d6 6.e4 0-0 7.Ne2 e5 8.a3, forcing the exchange of bishops. Sielecki doesn't mention 8.a3 and gives only a line against 8.0-0, reaching a position after Black's 10th which he says is Avrukh's recommendation - but in which White has not played a3. Am I missing something?

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #120 - 09/26/15 at 01:27:17
Post Tools
The square colors on the book cover are incorrect.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #119 - 08/31/15 at 12:02:33
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 08/29/15 at 20:00:43:
I have not read the Bogo Indian part yet but the I have read the Nimzo part a couple of times and it looks very good and I have completly changed by Nimzo repertour towards the books recommendations.

More or less the same as me.

Last week I was crushed in the Sämisch line with f3 using "my" line with a quick c5+d5 (4.a3 Bxc3+ 5.bxc3 c5 6.f3 d5) and after reading the chapters in the book I am planning to change my options against 4.a3 and 4.f3.

Smiley

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #118 - 08/29/15 at 20:00:43
Post Tools
I have not read the Bogo Indian part yet but the I have read the Nimzo part a couple of times and it looks very good and I have completly changed by Nimzo repertour towards the books recommendations.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Reply #117 - 08/28/15 at 08:30:52
Post Tools
The more I check the lines in the book the more I like them and how they are showed to us.

Congrats and thx for the book, chessexplained

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #116 - 07/21/15 at 20:18:13
Post Tools
4...d6 is indeed interesting. I didn't choose it because it demands lots of flexibility from the black player in terms of pawn structures. The lines mentioned above after 4...00 are also worth checking, but also were tricky to cover, as 4...00 has important sidelines like 5 e4 or 5 Nf3. It would have been too much for just a 'secondary option'.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #115 - 07/20/15 at 19:01:57
Post Tools
Quote:
a game (Sisatto-Salimaki) which was drawn in 18 moves.

There, 10 b3 looks to me maybe too slow to cause trouble, but that's just on a quick glance! Maybe Black could have gone ...Nh5 at some point in this game too?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #114 - 07/20/15 at 18:43:00
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 07/20/15 at 18:19:11:
Hi Tony. No, I don't think it's in the book - it's an invention of Raymond Keene as kylemeister says, except that whereas Keene's idea was to meet f2-f3 with ...d6 and ...e5, the modern approach is to go for ...d5, I believe. ISO 7 f3 White has tried 7 Qc2!? a bit, meeting 7 ...d6 with either 8 Bg5 or 8 e4. After 8 Bg5 I believe 8 ...Nfd7 is favoured; 8 e4 has (usually?) been met by 8 ...Nc6, but I'm more interested in 8 ...e5, when after 9 d5 I reckon both 9 ...a5 (which has been seen) and 8 ...Nh5 (which hasn't?) could well be OK. I haven't seen the Yearbook article though -- maybe it sheds some light on this?

Regarding that last line, the article only mentioned 9...a5, citing a game (Sisatto-Salimaki) which was drawn in 18 moves.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #113 - 07/20/15 at 18:23:28
Post Tools
Ah okay, thanks. I misread your post and thought perhaps Christoph had a secondary variation in the book. Thanks for the info!

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #112 - 07/20/15 at 18:19:11
Post Tools
Hi Tony. No, I don't think it's in the book - it's an invention of Raymond Keene as kylemeister says, except that whereas Keene's idea was to meet f2-f3 with ...d6 and ...e5, the modern approach is to go for ...d5, I believe. ISO 7 f3 White has tried 7 Qc2!? a bit, meeting 7 ...d6 with either 8 Bg5 or 8 e4. After 8 Bg5 I believe 8 ...Nfd7 is favoured; 8 e4 has (usually?) been met by 8 ...Nc6, but I'm more interested in 8 ...e5, when after 9 d5 I reckon both 9 ...a5 (which has been seen) and 8 ...Nh5 (which hasn't?) could well be OK. I haven't seen the Yearbook article though -- maybe it sheds some light on this?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #111 - 07/20/15 at 18:04:40
Post Tools
Very interesting idea, I have never seen that. That's in the Sielecki book!?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #110 - 07/20/15 at 17:44:49
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 07/20/15 at 15:46:10:
It's great when an interesting book comes out and makes wider waves around the subject, so to say ... I've now got interested in (the very playable) 4 Qc2 0-0 5 a3 Bc3 6 Qc3 Qe8!? as well!

Incidentally 6...Qe8 was the subject of a Yearbook article in 2012 (complete with a picture of Raymond Keene, who originated it in the '70s).  The author, IM Alejo de Doviitis, opined that "Black can reach equality in all lines," though White "can battle for some advantage with 7. f3."

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #109 - 07/20/15 at 15:46:10
Post Tools
It's great when an interesting book comes out and makes wider waves around the subject, so to say ... I've now got interested in (the very playable) 4 Qc2 0-0 5 a3 Bc3 6 Qc3 Qe8!? as well!

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Reply #108 - 07/20/15 at 14:33:24
Post Tools
I got my copy during the swedish championship but in all my black games I met 1 e4 except in the blitz championship.

I have read the first three chapters now and I realy like it especailly two systems vs f3.
A funny thing is that one of my friends met the Leningrad one game and he played this books line and won Smiley

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #107 - 07/17/15 at 23:21:42
Post Tools
I know about the Zürich -- I've been a Tango player for years! But 4 Qc2 d6!? is a different variation, and a very interesting one ...

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #106 - 07/17/15 at 23:18:58
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 07/17/15 at 22:50:07:
I’m really looking forward to getting my copy of this, to sit alongside Tony Ro’s recent great book on the Kalashnikov Sicilian.

You still do not have it?! Cheesy

Michael Ayton wrote on 07/17/15 at 22:50:07:
Only trouble is, Christoph has got me interested in another variation mentioned in the book but not treated there, namely 4 Qc2 d6!?. But that’s chess, and the Nimzo-Indian – endlessly rich!

It is the Zürich, 4. Dc2 Sc6. It reminds me actually more of the classical Bogo-style setup than a Nimzo. It is not as theoretical as 4...d5 or 4...0-0 to mine eyes though.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #105 - 07/17/15 at 22:50:07
Post Tools
I’m really looking forward to getting my copy of this, to sit alongside Tony Ro’s recent great book on the Kalashnikov Sicilian. ChessPub authors lead the way! It’s clear from the sample that here’s a author whose writing focuses attention on the matter in hand, not on itself – in contradistinction to that of another much-discussed author one could name ... I learnt a lot just by looking at the stuff in the sample on the Hübner Variation. Only trouble is, Christof has got me interested in another variation mentioned in the book but not treated there, namely 4 Qc2 d6!?. But that’s chess, and the Nimzo-Indian – endlessly rich!

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #104 - 07/13/15 at 03:00:17
Post Tools
I really like this book. I am not a longlife Nimzo player, having played it only a few times off and on, but I always played 4...c5 against Classical. Is it the case that if White sometimes get a very slight +=, the position is closed anyway, so that any small inaccuracy and Black equalises easily? I was analyseing this 4...Sc6 for the foregoing week and it seems like there is less memorising than other lines. I was thinking though that it would be very good if the 4...c5 lines were covered in addition as an alternate line, with 4. Dc2 c5 5. dxc5 Lxc5. I know that it is Hedgehoglike, but they are not as heavily analysed as 4...d5 or 4...0-0, as far as I know.

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #103 - 07/12/15 at 15:10:13
Post Tools
I was surprised that vs the Bd3/Ne2 setup there is basically no alternative to play that anti-IQP position. I would have preferred to give something more in spirit of the other lines, but there simply is no good alternative. It is quite easy to play though for Black.
This Modern Benoni is so comfortable for Black that even Modern Benoni skeptics (like me!) should go for it  Grin

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #102 - 07/12/15 at 13:28:38
Post Tools
Eh, the huge variety helps keep the opening fresh Smiley
(And is a huge practical advantage of course as so many quite different ways to meet most of whites ideas.).

Think I can see where that modern benoni must have come from.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #101 - 07/12/15 at 12:39:38
Post Tools
Thanks for your remarks.

The only thing that I think so far could have objectively been done better is the index of variations. Everything else is just personal preference.

Of course I have only browsed the other chapters but am completely happy so far with the variations you choose and look forward to study them further.

As I already stated above I know almost nothing about the Nimzo/Bogo after playing dark-square defences against 1.d4 (mainly the KID) literally for decades. This is the first time I study the Nimzo/Bogo. I just think the cover blurb is a bit misleading.

These three positions, all from the Rubinstein and with their own chapter, cannot be more different:

And before buying the book I would never have thought reaching such a position is even possible in the Nimzo (!):

Again, no criticism is involved here by my side regarding the choice of variations. But it should be clear that the ´promised´ system-type approach doesn´t work here. Fortunately for me I know something about the IQP from the white side and the Modern Benoni from the black side.  Wink

Keep up the good work!

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #100 - 07/11/15 at 23:13:14
Post Tools
Thanks for the feedback, here are some remarks.

Fllg wrote on 07/11/15 at 19:51:58:
My eye was caught by the back cover blurb promising a system-type approach based on a dark-square strategy. I assumed that would mean Black to play ...d6 and ...e5 more or less against everything, but in the Nimzo this is only the case versus the Classical. Otherwise ...c5 & ...d6 is mainly suggested where appropriate.

...c5 & ...d6 is dark-squared as opposed to ...d5 based systems. d5 based lines are only given when there was no way around it, like vs. White playing Bd3 and Nge2 in the Rubinstein. Sticking to a certain approach slavishly reduces quality of lines too much - 'd6 and e5 against everything!' simply does not work.

that there arise a plethora of different structures like the Carlsbad, Old Indian, Nimzo-Benoni (with the bishop on b4), Modern Benoni (rerouting the bishop from b4 to g7 via f8), French (!), reversed Catalan, playing against an IQP and with hanging pawns

Yep, there are some structures possible in the repertoire. However it mostly will be harmless versions of those structures for black. It is not like I suggest something different from the start against everything, but if you get a good position like a 'reversed catalan' with a great bishop on g7 you are happy to take it. The flexibility of structures is a great point of the Nimzo in particular.

1. A tree structure is vastly superior over complete games.

A tricky question that I was not sure about when I started the project. I like game based approaches for repertoire books as the tree suggests a false sense of completeness, but I totally understand the preference for the tree. I guess it is a matter of personal taste/preference.

2. Printing in a single column format seems like a waste of space to me. Double columns should be preferred.

I think 'Everyman' has this format for this particular series of books, I didn't really got involved in this decision. I never put much thought into it, but I see your point. I am not quite sure why they choose one particular layout in certain cases. I'd like to make a comparison with other books on my shelf, but I am currently away from home so there is no opportunity.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #99 - 07/11/15 at 19:51:58
Post Tools
I quite like the book.

My eye was caught by the back cover blurb promising a system-type approach based on a dark-square strategy. I assumed that would mean Black to play ...d6 and ...e5 more or less against everything, but in the Nimzo this is only the case versus the Classical. Otherwise ...c5 & ...d6 is mainly suggested where appropriate.

So far I have only started reading the chapters about the Rubinstein and was slightly surprised to find out that there arise a plethora of different structures like the Carlsbad, Old Indian, Nimzo-Benoni (with the bishop on b4), Modern Benoni (rerouting the bishop from b4 to g7 via f8), French (!), reversed Catalan, playing against an IQP and with hanging pawns. And there is also of course the Hübner with its many transpositional possiblities and different plans which the author does his best to explain to the reader.

Don´t get me wrong, I don´t mention this to critizise the author´s choices, but want to highlight the complexity of the material. To be able to play the suggested lines against the Rubinstein well it certainly helps to have some experience with the above mentioned structures.

I like that whenever possible lines with active counterplay are preferred over passive solidity or dull equality.

There are two things which in my opinion could have been done better:

1. A tree structure is vastly superior over complete games. Illustrative games are very welcome but should be separated from the theoretical sections. If you choose to cover the material with complete games a very detailed index of variations should be provided which unfortunately is not quite the case here. I know next to nothing about the Nimzo and so was surprised that no mention of the line 4.g3 (played by Kasparov, Kramnik, Anand, Carlsen...) was made in the index and just found out it is covered in the introduction of the chapter about 4.Nf3 to which it is linked.

2. Printing in a single column format seems like a waste of space to me. Double columns should be preferred.

Apart from that the book is well produced.

From what I have seen I recommend the book to anyone looking for an ambitious repertoire for Black against 1.d4/2.c4 3.Nc3/Nf3/g3. Christof Sielecki makes me want to try out the suggested lines which is all I can ask for.

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #98 - 07/11/15 at 13:32:17
Post Tools
After 4...c5 5 Ne2 black is either (slightly) worse or has to play 5...b6 6 a3 Ba5 which is not everybody's cup of tea. I did consider that option, but this line is just not to my taste. It's also rather non-thematic compared to other lines in the chosen repertoire.

And ultimately: I really did not see any benefit for not having castled in the Hübner, so 4...0-0 is just better I think.

I guess some people have received their copies by now, so I am happy to get feedback on the book. Please post what you think about it.

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #97 - 07/11/15 at 12:32:18
Post Tools
He avoids 4.e3 c5 5.Nge2 which is probably the best version of the Ne2 systems. If the Hubner isn't to one's liking, it's also possible to play 6...b6 7.0-0 Bb7 instead of 6...Nc6 7.0-0 Bxc3.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #96 - 07/11/15 at 11:09:50
Post Tools
So, putting the same question another way, what is the advantage to Black of delaying castling? Obviously he loses the possibility of 000 in certain lines; what is he getting in return?

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #95 - 07/03/15 at 17:50:38
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 06/25/15 at 16:37:55:
When did playing the Hubner with an early ...00 become socially acceptable? I remember Nigel doing it in his first tournament in Russia and someone (Taimanov, maybe) describing it as 'characteristic of the sometimes staggering gaps in Short's opening knowledge'. BITD it was all ...Nc6/...d6 and sometimes later ...000.

I had this same question as well; I remember Mednis saying that early castling in the Hubner was dubious for Black.  But then a lot of strong players started doing it, and I think Sokolov only considered that move order in his Strategic Nimzo-Indian book, if I'm not mistaken.

So I guess times change, and I'm curious to get my hands on this new book.

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #94 - 07/03/15 at 17:13:54
Post Tools
Just to let you know that my copy arrived today, although I haven't had time to look through it much yet. The brief glance I have had was encouraging though.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #93 - 06/25/15 at 20:00:02
Post Tools
One thing is, 4...0-0 5. Bd3 c5 6. Nf3 Nc6 7. d5 used to be considered favorable for White.  In the late '70s, ECO (Kotov) had it as leading to ±.  A couple of decades later, ECO had it as leading to +=, citing among other things Taimanov-Short 1983.  Sokolov (2012) thought it should be equal.

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #92 - 06/25/15 at 19:23:10
Post Tools
Some years ago I also thought that the early 00 is problematic for Black. However Ivan Sokolov, much to my surprise, gave the 4...00 move order for the Huebner. I did some checks myself and found out that in many cases Black does castle early, even when he started 4...c5 in the first place. I really see no problem at all to start with 4...00 - in fact it is the more popular move order nowadays as people are keen to avoid 4...c5 5 Ne2.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #91 - 06/25/15 at 16:37:55
Post Tools
When did playing the Hubner with an early ...00 become socially acceptable? I remember Nigel doing it in his first tournament in Russia and someone (Taimanov, maybe) describing it as 'characteristic of the sometimes staggering gaps in Short's opening knowledge'. BITD it was all ...Nc6/...d6 and sometimes later ...000.

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #90 - 06/25/15 at 13:03:50
Post Tools
Contents

About the author 3

Bibliography 5

Introduction 7

1 Nimzo-Indian: Rare Lines 11

2 Nimzo-Indian: Sämisch Variation, 4 a3 30

3 Nimzo-Indian: 4 f3 57

4 Nimzo-Indian: Kasparov-Romanishin 4 Nf3 and 5 g3 82

5 Nimzo-Indian: Rubinstein Variation, 4 e3 107

6 Nimzo-Indian: Reshevsky Variation, 4 e3 0-0 5 Ne2 111

7 Nimzo-Indian: 4 e3 0-0 5 Bd3 c5 6 Ne2 128

8 Nimzo-Indian: Hübner Variation, 4 e3 0-0 5 Bd3 c5 6 Nf3 Nc6 7 0-0 Nxc3 8 bxc3 d6 159

9 Nimzo-Indian: Classical Variation, 4 Qc2 216

10 Nimzo-Indian: Zurich Variation, Sidelines and Qxc3 Set-ups 219

11 Nimzo-Indian: Zurich Variation, White Plays Bxc3 261
2 Bogo-Indian with 4 Bd2 a5 300

13 Bogo-Indian with 4 Nbd2 355

14 The Catalan Bogo: 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 g3 Bb4+ 419

Index of Variations 437

Index of Complete Games 439

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #89 - 06/25/15 at 11:35:01
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 06/25/15 at 00:48:18:
I preordered my copy. Is it almost released?

No. I ordered mine from debestezet and they told me it would only arrive at the end of next month Sad. On the plus side, now there is an excerpt available (edit: didn't see TonyRo's post above) 

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #88 - 06/25/15 at 00:48:18
Post Tools
I preordered my copy. Is it almost released?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #87 - 06/24/15 at 14:31:31
Post Tools
The excerpt is up, and it looks great!  Grin

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Reply #86 - 06/16/15 at 08:20:29
Post Tools
Realy interesting lines.

I have played both Qe7 and c5 vs Bd2 Bogo Indian but I have never considered a5, looks like an interesting choiche.

I have been thinking about playing the Hubner after that I read the not that theoretical book "Openings for amaeturs" a few weeks ago so I am looking forward for a repertour in that line.

Having played Zurich in several games during that past few years I am lookig forward for up to date theory. A sidenote is that  "Openings for amaeturs" also went for Zurich and even had a new (but old!) idea vs the critcal Bg5 line.
« Last Edit: 06/16/15 at 16:18:32 by bragesjo »  
IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #85 - 06/15/15 at 23:50:06
Post Tools
Chessexplained wrote on 06/15/15 at 06:29:35:
Stigma wrote on 06/15/15 at 06:13:14:
Can I ask, when you go for the Zürich against 4.Qc2, why not go 4.Nf3 Nc6 as well? Maybe you're worried about 5.e3 or 5.g3, but I think this could be a useful alternative option to 4...c5.

Yes, that's a good option that I mention in the book. Main reason is that the lines that don't transpose, like the ones you mentioned, have not seen much development in recent years. Richard Palliser covered that in 'Tango!' and there was not much to add. Also I really like the line I chose, so I went for it.

Sure, 4...c5 5.g3 Nc6 etc. is interesting. I had this in my repertoire for a while, intending 6.Bg2 Ne4 7.Bd2 Bxc3 8.bxc3 0-0 9.0-0 Na5. But then I was discouraged by some games by Hans Tikkanen on the White side of this; he seemed to have prepared it very well. But Black can deviate of course. I've also found 6.d5 Na5 7.Nd2 a bit annoying.

Anyway, I really like your choices against 4.f3, at least for when Black wants a sharp battle. There's even a third option in the same ballpark: 4...c5 5.d5 0-0 6.e4 Re8!? when White is very likely to go for the transposition with 7.Nge2 d6 etc. Maybe you're going for Blumenfeld-style play with ...b5 even after 6...d6, but the Benoni setup also seems playable. Though I've wondered if Black can even play it Benoni style keeping the rook on f8 and either using it to support a later ...f5 or doing something else with that tempo.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #84 - 06/15/15 at 21:37:46
Post Tools
I'll definitely buy this book.  I'm not so familiar with the Bogo lines, but I love most of the Nimzo lines that you're covering, especially the line 4.Bg5 c5 5.d5 ed 6.cd d6.  I assume that you're going to play the pawn grab after 7.e3 Nbd7 8. Bd3 Qa5 9.Ne2 Nxd5. 

I'm not a fan of the Zurich, but whatever--maybe you'll convince me otherwise!  And besides that, I'm very curious to see your coverage of the Bogo, which might inspire me to take this up.  Can't wait!

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #83 - 06/15/15 at 06:29:35
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/15/15 at 06:13:14:
Can I ask, when you go for the Zürich against 4.Qc2, why not go 4.Nf3 Nc6 as well? Maybe you're worried about 5.e3 or 5.g3, but I think this could be a useful alternative option to 4...c5.

Yes, that's a good option that I mention in the book. Main reason is that the lines that don't transpose, like the ones you mentioned, have not seen much development in recent years. Richard Palliser covered that in 'Tango!' and there was not much to add. Also I really like the line I chose, so I went for it.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #82 - 06/15/15 at 06:13:14
Post Tools
Very interesting! I have played or considered most of these Nimzo lines (never tried the Bogo though - maybe I should!?).

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #81 - 06/15/15 at 06:03:07
Post Tools
Here's an overview of the most relevant content:

Leningrad: 4 Bg5 c5 5 d5 exd5 6 cxd5 d6
Saemisch: Main line like 4 a3 Bxc3 5 bxc3 c5 6 e3 Nc6 7 Bd3 0-0 8 Ne2 b6 etc
4 f3: 4 f3 c5 5 d5 0-0 6 e4 b5 and 4 f3 c5 5 d5 0-0 6 e4 d6 as two options
Kasparov/Romanishin 4 Nf3 c5 5 g3 Nc6 6 Bg2 Ne4
Rubinstein: 4 e3 00 5 Ne2 Re8, 4 e3 00 5 Bd3 c5 6 Ne2 d5 and the Hübner 4 e3 00 5 Bd3 c5 6 Nf3 Nc6 7 00 Bxc3 8 bxc3 d6
Classical:l I give the Zurich with 4 Qc2 Nc6
Bogo with 4 Nbd2 I give both 4...0-0 as 'best, but very sharp' (9 h4) and 4...d6 for people keen to avoid a theoretical battle
Bogo with Bd2 I chose 4... a5 5 g3 d6 6 Bg2 Nbd7 7 00 e5 as the main path
I also have something on the Catalan Bogo 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 g3 Bb4+, which will transpose most of the time

Within the chapters I often offer alternative options when possible.
The book will have far more pages than currently stated on the Everyman site, probably around 440.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #80 - 06/11/15 at 14:22:27
Post Tools
Chessexplained, can you give us some indication of which lines you cover? There's no pdf sample at the Everyman site. Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Reply #79 - 06/11/15 at 11:33:47
Post Tools
I will buy this book as soon as it is realiced to get an up to date view on some Nimzo Indian lines and some Bogo Indian lines

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #78 - 06/10/15 at 22:36:22
Post Tools
Looking forward to this one very much.  Smiley

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #77 - 06/10/15 at 16:25:22
Post Tools
Yay! Great news, looking forward to reading the book!

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #76 - 06/10/15 at 15:02:19
Post Tools
It will be at the printer in the next couple of days! After I had submitted everything in January Everyman had so many projects going that mine delayed even further. But I am glad it is completed and will be released very soon  Smiley

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #75 - 06/01/15 at 17:57:07
Post Tools
Bonsai wrote on 06/01/15 at 14:17:30:
Now in the 'New and upcoming' section! Perhaps it is really happening.

Thanks for the update. This website change must have happened in the last 24 hours! I'll happily wait just a short while longer now....maybe Everyman were just waiting for another bout of interest at Chesspub  Smiley

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #74 - 06/01/15 at 14:17:30
Post Tools
Now in the 'New and upcoming' section! Perhaps it is really happening.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #73 - 06/01/15 at 05:23:35
Post Tools
slates wrote on 05/31/15 at 12:14:05:
Chessexplained wrote on 12/28/14 at 14:37:22:
I will submit my finished script on Jan 1 2015. It will take a couple of weeks after that by Everyman, but I don't expect any more delays.

Has anyone heard anything more about this book yet?
The Everyman website lists a 30th April release date for Europe, although doesn't show the title in it's 'New and upcoming' section yet....?

I'm hopeful it can't be too far away now but not too confident... Christof, if you're reading this could you offer any update? Thanks!

The publishing schedule at the site gives July 2015 as the publication date in Europe.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #72 - 05/31/15 at 12:14:05
Post Tools
Chessexplained wrote on 12/28/14 at 14:37:22:
I will submit my finished script on Jan 1 2015. It will take a couple of weeks after that by Everyman, but I don't expect any more delays.

Has anyone heard anything more about this book yet?
The Everyman website lists a 30th April release date for Europe, although doesn't show the title in it's 'New and upcoming' section yet....?

I'm hopeful it can't be too far away now but not too confident... Christof, if you're reading this could you offer any update? Thanks!

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Reply #71 - 01/08/15 at 14:54:26
Post Tools
I am also looking forward to this book especially to since my current Nimzo repetour mixes line from at least 3 books and Bogo Indian preference is from a DVD so it s bit tricky to take all books with me when preparing during tournaments.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #70 - 12/29/14 at 20:40:06
Post Tools
Good luck! This has been a book I've been curious/interested in for a long time. I hope you can let us know more on your choices once the book is finished.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #69 - 12/29/14 at 04:26:58
Post Tools
It's not particularly difficult to be "SO wrong" about a deadline. Christoph is making good time!

Wink

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #68 - 12/28/14 at 14:37:22
Post Tools

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #67 - 11/08/14 at 17:32:19
Post Tools
najdorfslayer wrote on 11/08/14 at 16:49:07:
How the hell can you be SO wrong regarding the deadline!!!

I have no idea how hard it is to write a chess book, but there must be a lot of reasons for a delay. Could be personal reasons, as well as chess wise, e.g. maybe finding out there were analysis needed in a key line, etc. Honestly, stop whining and publish your own book instead... I am very happy that there are people at all that take the time and effort to write chess books.

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #66 - 11/08/14 at 16:49:07
Post Tools
Quote for Author "I am confident that the expexted release date (November 2013) is still doable though a slight delay might be necessary. As it is my first book, I may be wrong in estimating the time needed to polish up things. The "meat and bones" of the book is close to being finished."

And yes, 4... Bxd2+ is just ultra solid for Black. I think this is line is similarly annoying for white as the Lasker QGD. [/quote]

How the hell can you be SO wrong regarding the deadline!!!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #65 - 07/14/14 at 15:56:48
Post Tools
Just teasing of course, and thanks for the support - it was my fault though.

Zero plans for another, at least not for a while. And if I do it, I'm just going to write the entire thing before even signing the contract so that I can't let the deadline slip as bad as I did the last time.

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #64 - 07/13/14 at 18:51:59
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 07/12/14 at 23:21:45:
najdorfslayer wrote on 07/12/14 at 19:40:32:
Some are more than a year. It is a bit of a joke.

The Killer Sicilian, the Nimzo/Bogo, GM Rep 6b amongst others seem to be the worst for going WELL past original publication dates.

I thought we were friends man...

Cheesy  Grin  Wink

Sorry Tony, but it is well past it original publication date, although I know it's not your fault and from what I can see and what you have said I am sure it will be outstanding and well worth the wait!

In fact it is the book I am most looking forward to this year.

Do you have plans on writing another?  Smiley
« Last Edit: 07/14/14 at 00:19:16 by najdorfslayer »  

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #63 - 07/12/14 at 23:21:45
Post Tools
najdorfslayer wrote on 07/12/14 at 19:40:32:

The Killer Sicilian, the Nimzo/Bogo, GM Rep 6b amongst others seem to be the worst for going WELL past original publication dates.

I thought we were friends man...

Cheesy  Grin  Wink

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 07/12/14 at 19:40:32
Post Tools

Chess Stars & New in Chess seem to be pretty good with their estimations though.

Everyman hit and miss. Normally more miss these days unless it is Cyrus Lakdawala who can bash out about 10 books in the same space of time most mortals do one book.

Quality Chess not great with deadlines but who cares they normally well worth the wait.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #61 - 07/12/14 at 19:10:41
Post Tools
One-year delays from initial announcements seem to be about the norm, don't they?  Why are we all still surprised?

IP Logged

Arnaudov
YaBB Newbies

Magnus Carlsen has never
beaten me in a chess
game

Reply #60 - 07/12/14 at 01:20:47
Post Tools
"Expected release October 2014"

Huh

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #59 - 06/05/14 at 15:09:53
Post Tools
Chessexplained wrote on 08/29/13 at 09:17:23:
I am confident that the expexted release date (November 2013) is still doable though a slight delay might be necessary. As it is my first book, I may be wrong in estimating the time needed to polish up things. The "meat and bones" of the book is close to being finished.

And yes, 4... Bxd2+ is just ultra solid for Black. I think this is line is similarly annoying for white as the Lasker QGD.

A slight delay!
10 months is a BIG slight!!

Any news?

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #58 - 03/18/14 at 07:25:52
Post Tools
It's now re-scheduled for September 2014.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #57 - 02/07/14 at 22:19:37
Post Tools
It's now re-scheduled for July 2014.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #56 - 01/13/14 at 23:52:57
Post Tools
ChessSiberia wrote on 01/13/14 at 12:34:55:
The moves 4...c5, 4...a5 and 4...Qe7 are all interesting IMHO.

*Mod hat on*
Obviously.
Delete the ad please.
Thanks.

IP Logged

ChessSiberia
YaBB Newbies

Reply #55 - 01/13/14 at 12:34:55
Post Tools
The moves 4...c5, 4...a5 and 4...Qe7 are all interesting IMHO.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Reply #54 - 12/11/13 at 15:05:31
Post Tools
A funny trend in Bogo Indian is that on both Martins Chessbase DVD and Lemos Crusshing white DVD they both recommend c5 vs Bd2 and if we assume that the book this thread is about recommends a5 I would appear Qe7 is suddenly out of fashion for book and dvs makers, unclear why.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #53 - 12/10/13 at 17:25:40
Post Tools
8.c5 is interesting move but rarely played. Here, after  8...Nc6 9.a3 (after 9.0-0 d6 10.cxd6 cxd6 11.Rc1 Bd7 12.Re1 Bxc3 13.Bxc3 Ne4 14.e3 Rac8=) is White´s idea after ...Bxc3 to leave ...Na5 misplaced 9...Bxc3 10.Bxc3 d6 White is slightly better, but it is possible for Black with careful moves to neutralize White´s pressure. For example, 11.cxd6 (11.b4 is the other move) cxd6 12.0-0 Bd7 13.Rc1 (13.Qd3 is possible) 13...Rac8 14.Qd3 Nd5 15.e4 Nxc3 16.Rxc3 d5 17.Ne5 dxe4 18.Bxe4 g6 19.Rfc1 Rfd8 20.Nxc6 Bxc6 21.Bxc6 Rxc6 22.Rxc6 bxc6 23.Rxc6 Qd7 24.Rc4 Qxd4 25.Qxd4 Rxd4 26.Rc7 a5=

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 12/09/13 at 21:35:57
Post Tools
that depends of course on what you want to play after 7.Bg2, I don't immediately see a good alternative for the main line, 7...Na5 has scored well but 8.c5 seems strong

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #51 - 12/03/13 at 17:42:10
Post Tools
In the line 4.Bd2 Qe7 5.g3 Nc6 6.Nc3, is there any problem with 6...0-0 insted of 6...Bxc3 7.Bxc3 Ne4 8.Rc1 wich is extremely theoretical and dificult for Black?

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #50 - 11/16/13 at 23:34:59
Post Tools
He should stop playing all that Blitz online.

...and finish his e5 rep on Youtube. He has to at least do the Evans.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #49 - 11/15/13 at 09:53:05
Post Tools
It's now re-scheduled for May 2014.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #48 - 10/28/13 at 08:24:35
Post Tools
Chessexplained wrote on 08/29/13 at 09:17:23:
I am confident that the expexted release date (November 2013) is still doable though a slight delay might be necessary. As it is my first book, I may be wrong in estimating the time needed to polish up things. The "meat and bones" of the book is close to being finished.

And yes, 4... Bxd2+ is just ultra solid for Black. I think this is line is similarly annoying for white as the Lasker QGD.

It's now re-scheduled for February 2014.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #47 - 08/30/13 at 11:11:27
Post Tools
I am interested to see what this book offers. I have gravitated from the Nimzo/Bogo towards the Slav recently since I find it easier to win against the exchange Slav that in the Bogo against a White opponent who is happy with a draw.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #46 - 08/29/13 at 15:54:03
Post Tools
I had an unpleasant task defending this position with Black against Husák, Dr. Ján in an ICCF tournament recently (i guess you can find this game in the ICCF database). So, i am not enthusiastic for this position for Black (i think that White is certainly better) , but i am open for someone to change my mind!  Smiley

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #45 - 08/29/13 at 15:19:33
Post Tools
Isn't it a5, then d6 and e5? That's what he usually plays online.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #44 - 08/29/13 at 14:02:06
Post Tools
But ...Bxd2 and ...d5 is not a "dark-square" repertoire. So Chessexplained has something else in mind for his book? I am eager to know!  Smiley
« Last Edit: 08/29/13 at 15:51:28 by Ametanoitos »  

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 08/29/13 at 09:17:23
Post Tools

IP Logged

MarinFan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #42 - 08/28/13 at 12:44:28
Post Tools
The apparantly unpromising 4...Bxd2 is proving to be very reliable in FIDE 2700 level games. Kramnik has lost another game as white in the Tal memorial, to go with one lost year or so back to Carlson. The game was annotated in recent "New in chess". His opponent was quite impressed with the novelty of Qa3 going into endgame of the game, but any advantage for white seems minimal. Their is quite good coverage of line in Eingorn's book "An rock solid opening repetetoire".

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 08/27/13 at 20:16:59
Post Tools
Would like an update to how this book is coming along!!!!!

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #40 - 05/21/13 at 17:31:58
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 05/21/13 at 07:46:28:
4...a5 5.a3! (As Kaufman recommended) is quite annoying for Black. I have a corr game with Black in this one and i am barely holding. In a practical game i'd have lost with hands down...

4...c5 is a nice choice, although 5.Bxb4 followed by 6.e3! with the idea Be2 and Ne1-Nd3 and i think that White has a small but definite edge. Theoretically other lines for Black are more critical, but if White with such a simple way can claim a small edge i wouldn't be happy with Black at all.

4...Bxd2 is also slightly better for White. So, in my eyes, if 4...Qe7 is not acceptable, then Black cannot equalise in the Bogo.

I've never quite felt that Black could equalize in the Bogo, but I'd love to be wrong, as it would be a very easy solution to the 3.Nf3 problem for Nimzo players (the other being 3...c5 I guess, but the Benoni isn't as easy).  I don't have Khalifman, though--is 4...a5 5.a3 Bxd2+ any better for White than the immediate 4...Bxd2+?  I wouldn't think so, though that doesn't mean that White can't still claim an edge.  I'll have to do a little more research as I've neglected looking at 5.a3 so far.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 05/21/13 at 11:54:00
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 05/21/13 at 07:46:28:
4...a5 5.a3! (As Kaufman recommended) is quite annoying for Black. I have a corr game with Black in this one and i am barely holding. In a practical game i'd have lost with hands down...

4...c5 is a nice choice, although 5.Bxb4 followed by 6.e3! with the idea Be2 and Ne1-Nd3 and i think that White has a small but definite edge. Theoretically other lines for Black are more critical, but if White with such a simple way can claim a small edge i wouldn't be happy with Black at all.

4...Bxd2 is also slightly better for White. So, in my eyes, if 4...Qe7 is not acceptable, then Black cannot equalise in the Bogo.

My opinion, too!  Wink

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #38 - 05/21/13 at 07:46:28
Post Tools

« Last Edit: 05/21/13 at 10:05:24 by Ametanoitos »  

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #37 - 05/20/13 at 00:53:54
Post Tools
I've just become interested in 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 Bb4+ 4.Bd2 a5!?, after trying (and failing) to make 4...Qe7 look comfortable to me.  I've never given 4...a5 a serious look before (it was always either 4...Qe7 or 4...c5 for me), and I think there are some interesting points.  For instance, 5.g3 0-0 6.Bg2 d5 7.0-0 dxc4 transposes to that Kramnik - Topolav Catalan line that John Cox wrote about, and if 7.Qc2 c5!? might be playable.   I'm investigating 7...c5!? at the moment.

Hhhmm...maybe I'll start playing the Nimzo and Bogo again, I'm tired of the stuff I've been playing lately.

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 04/25/13 at 21:28:16
Post Tools
That's not a bad thing!
Looking forward to it!!

Chessexplained wrote on 04/25/13 at 12:51:30:
Thanks for pointing that out! I know the "256 pages" is just a placeholder, but I am not sure I'll manage below that....

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 04/25/13 at 12:51:30
Post Tools
Thanks for pointing that out! I know the "256 pages" is just a placeholder, but I am not sure I'll manage below that....

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 04/24/13 at 17:58:50
Post Tools

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Reply #33 - 04/05/13 at 12:08:32
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 04/04/13 at 22:12:16:
A dark square repertoire - the Nimzo Bogo combo.

I like it  Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #32 - 04/04/13 at 22:12:16
Post Tools
A slight variation: A dark square repertoire - the Nimzo Bogo combo.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Reply #31 - 04/04/13 at 19:31:26
Post Tools
Or how about "Nimzo Indian and Bogo Indian - a darksquared repertour"

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #30 - 04/04/13 at 08:10:40
Post Tools
As for the title, something silly like 'the dark side of the Nimzo' might sell books. But maybe it's too close to 'The Dark Knight' by Schuyler.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #29 - 04/03/13 at 09:08:25
Post Tools
I'm looking forward to the book. The author has a quite good Youtube channel I watch occasionally. The subject (and choice of lines) seems close to what Makarov at Chess Stars had in mind some time ago. http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1288282759 That project never finished.

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 03/21/13 at 08:48:45
Post Tools
Yes, "Bogo-Catalan" will be covered. It's not much of a difference to a "regular Bogo" though.

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 03/20/13 at 21:01:40
Post Tools
Chessexplained wrote on 03/19/13 at 09:31:32:
All Nimzo lines and most Bogo lines will be based on a dark squared setup, so moves like ...d6,...e5,...c5 are featured heavily. In the whole Nimzo part the move ...d5 is never played at all. I chose these lines as they have not received any or very litlle coverage in the past.

The Hübner line is part of the book, I couldn't make 4.e3 Nc6 work. 5.Ne2 is just too annoying to face, and even 5.Nf3 is not easy to play against.

Will you cover the Bogo-Catalan?
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.g3 Bb4+

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #26 - 03/19/13 at 18:28:08
Post Tools
Chessexplained wrote on 03/19/13 at 09:31:32:
All Nimzo lines and most Bogo lines will be based on a dark squared setup, so moves like ...d6,...e5,...c5 are featured heavily. In the whole Nimzo part the move ...d5 is never played at all. I chose these lines as they have not received any or very litlle coverage in the past.

The Hübner line is part of the book, I couldn't make 4.e3 Nc6 work. 5.Ne2 is just too annoying to face, and even 5.Nf3 is not easy to play against.

That's great news in my opinion; these setups have received very little coverage recently, as you say!

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 03/19/13 at 09:31:50
Post Tools
4 e3 Nc6 can go all sorts of ways - some of the lines including an early Nf3 are in Palliser's tango book by transposition, although you can play with d5 there too.

iirc 5 Nge2 is meant to be critical (unless its Bd3 first) when black is iirc meant to go for an early d5/e5 combination to try and get play. Not entirely obvious if that really gets enough so relatively rare overall.

Might be possible to finess the move order with 4..o-o/d5 or some such.

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 03/19/13 at 09:31:32
Post Tools

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Reply #23 - 03/19/13 at 08:51:34
Post Tools
Since the book combines Nimzo Indian and Bogo Indian the most logical lines is

4 Qc2 Nc6
4 Nf3 Nc6. According to Wards book whites best is Qc2 here transposing to Qc2.

I would also like to see the rare Taimanov variation covered (4 e3 Nc6). I dont play this line myself so I have no idea how theory goes.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #22 - 03/18/13 at 19:47:36
Post Tools
I'd like to see 4.e3 c5 with the intention of playing the Hubner, as most recent literature has focused on various ...d5 lines.  Still, I highly doubt that the author will base his repertoire recommendations on what a few people in an online chess forum want to see!

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 03/18/13 at 13:54:32
Post Tools
So what would people like to see as a reprtiore for this new Nimzo-Bogo book?

Here is what I would like to see (it's what I play now at any rate!)

v 4.Qc2 d5 PCA variation against 5.cxd5 and maybe with Short varaiation against 5.a3

v 4.e3 0-0 (Specifically with Karpov Varaition). Wouldn't mind 4...b6 (Dutch variation)

v 4.Nf3 b6 (Nimzo/Queens Indian hybrid) although maybe not appropriate when not recommending the QID. However does avoid the main lines of 4.g3 and 4.a3. If not then 4...c5

v 4.f3 d5 with 5.a3 Be7 6.e4 dxe4 7.fxe4 e5 8.d5 Bc5

v 4.Bg5 I quite like lines with early ...b5

v 4.a3 Bxc3 5.bxc3 Ne4 6.Qc2 f5

What do you reckon then?!

Bogo Indian Lines

4.Bd2 I would think probably 4.Qe7

I also hope they have lines in the Bogo-Catalan with

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.g3 Bb4+

IP Logged

Girkassa

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 03/06/13 at 19:17:38
Post Tools
And while Nimzowitsch may not have played 1.d4 Nc6 very often, it does invite a transposition to Nimzowitsch's defense with 2.e4.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #19 - 03/06/13 at 18:49:50
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 03/06/13 at 18:26:37:
In English, "bozo" is a humorously disparaging term: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bozo and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bozo_the_Clown.

I suspect that this is what the "Bozo-Indian" (1.d4 Nc6) refers to, not a combination of Bogoljubov's and Nimzovich's names.

It's both. At least the product blurb I linked to claims a connection to both Nimzowitsch and Bogolyubov. Though I don't think either of them played it more than once or twice.

For 1.d4 Nc6, the names "Bogolyubov Defence" and "Kevitz System" (http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/kenilworthian/2005/08/1nc6-or-kevitz-system-b...) are also known.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #18 - 03/06/13 at 18:26:37
Post Tools
In English, "bozo" is a humorously disparaging term: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bozo and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bozo_the_Clown.

I suspect that this is what the "Bozo-Indian" (1.d4 Nc6) refers to, not a combination of Bogoljubov's and Nimzovich's names.

This must be a first in Chesspub-land, though: a new book is announced without the first 8 pages of the thread asking which lines it will cover!

IP Logged

Girkassa

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 03/06/13 at 13:58:04
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 03/05/13 at 15:00:04:
"Bozo-Indian" would not be very clever, since the name has already been used for another opening: 1.d4 Nc6 http://www.chesscentral.com/The_Bozo_Indian_Defense_p/371156.htm

Though it doesn't make much sense to me that a defence that doesn't start 1.d4 Nf6 can still be an "Indian".

Wow. That was new to me, and it strikes me as a confusing name for an opening. Not just because it does not look like an "Indian," but also because both Bogoljubov and Nimzowitsch already have an Indian defense named after them. I would think that if "Bozo-Indian" is the name of one single opening, it should be some kind of Nimzo/Bogo hybrid, and not a completely different opening.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/06/13 at 10:27:07
Post Tools
Buy One, Get One : a nimzo & bogo-indian repertoire for black (or whatever).

aka the BOGO book (if it sells well).

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #15 - 03/05/13 at 15:00:04
Post Tools
"Bozo-Indian" would not be very clever, since the name has already been used for another opening: 1.d4 Nc6 http://www.chesscentral.com/The_Bozo_Indian_Defense_p/371156.htm

Though it doesn't make much sense to me that a defence that doesn't start 1.d4 Nf6 can still be an "Indian".

IP Logged

Girkassa

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 03/05/13 at 13:37:16
Post Tools
Chessexplained wrote on 03/05/13 at 08:44:03:
"Not suffer too much as Black: The Nimzo and Bogo"

Grin

I understand the humour, and such an honest title would make me want to buy the book. But I do understand why you are reluctant to use that title.  Tongue

tp2205 wrote on 03/05/13 at 12:57:54:
"play the  Bozo-Indian"

Hmm, I quite like that name for the Nimzo/Bogo combo. Unfortunately, most people will not have heard about the Bozo, and as LostTactic pointed out, the words Nimzo and Bogo should be in the title so that it shows up in searches.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 03/05/13 at 12:57:54
Post Tools
Chessexplained wrote on 03/05/13 at 08:44:03:
Well, thanks for the advice.

"Not suffer too much as Black: The Nimzo and Bogo" was something that came to mind  Wink Not sure people would appreciate the humour, though...

If you look for something serious how about "play the  Bozo-Indian". Short and easy to remember.

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 03/05/13 at 08:44:03
Post Tools
Well, thanks for the advice.

"Not suffer too much as Black: The Nimzo and Bogo" was something that came to mind  Wink Not sure people would appreciate the humour, though...

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #11 - 03/05/13 at 03:52:07
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 03/05/13 at 02:48:53:
Wait, are we honestly giving advice on book titles??  Really?

Fair point, indeed. We should all get out more.
Off for a long walk in the park, see everyone next year.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #10 - 03/05/13 at 02:48:53
Post Tools
Wait, are we honestly giving advice on book titles??  Really?

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #9 - 03/05/13 at 02:05:52
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 03/05/13 at 00:45:01:
Chessexplained wrote on 03/04/13 at 12:08:02:
Yes, it's for Everyman Chess and I have not yet decided on a title. The usual "Win with...", "Play the..." I'd like to avoid, but something good didn't yet come to mind. I am focused on the content at the moment anyway, the title can be determined any time.

The Nimzo & Bogo-Indian vs d4 or something like that is best imo. You want Nimzo and Bogo in the title somewhere so it comes up in searches. Basically make it as easy as possible for people to find and buy, common sense really, but you'd be surprised how many writers get this simple thing wrong.

p.s. Play the Nimzo & Bogo as a title, although primitive, is very effective tbh.

Agree, very sensible from LostTactic there.
Up your search hits, up your sales.
'The Nimzo Indian and Bogo Indian: A repertoire for black' or something.
About time a good book was out on the Bogo. The last decent one I saw was by Shaun Taulbut about 25 years ago. Work hard, good luck.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 03/05/13 at 00:45:01
Post Tools
Chessexplained wrote on 03/04/13 at 12:08:02:
Yes, it's for Everyman Chess and I have not yet decided on a title. The usual "Win with...", "Play the..." I'd like to avoid, but something good didn't yet come to mind. I am focused on the content at the moment anyway, the title can be determined any time.

The Nimzo & Bogo-Indian vs d4 or something like that is best imo. You want Nimzo and Bogo in the title somewhere so it comes up in searches. Basically make it as easy as possible for people to find and buy, common sense really, but you'd be surprised how many writers get this simple thing wrong.

p.s. Play the Nimzo & Bogo as a title, although primitive, is very effective tbh.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #7 - 03/04/13 at 23:40:27
Post Tools
I on the other hand would be more inclined towards something like, A(nother) Pretty Decent Repertoire for Black.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #6 - 03/04/13 at 23:10:16
Post Tools
I would buy a book called Black to Play and Kick Ass, regardless of the content. 

Or maybe as part of a series, Kick-Ass Chess: The Bogo Indian.

Something to consider.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #5 - 03/04/13 at 20:29:33
Post Tools
A Nimzoboggling opening repertoire

B O G O- & Nimzoindian
u n  e n
y e  t  e

f  r  e e

Above are my not so serious book title suggestions. In any case, interesting to here that finally someone other than Dzindi writes about the bogo-indian (that previously planned Makarov book by chess-stars seems to be cancelled now). It certainly seems like a nice opening to be able to recommend (if it holds up analytically) given that a lot of lines reward idea knowledge and can be structurally very similar to certain Nimzo lines (e.g. 4.Bd2 Qe7 5.g3 Nc6 being very similar to the Zurich Variation 4.Qc2 Nc6 in the Nimzo).

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 03/04/13 at 20:10:13
Post Tools
How about "Making White Miserable with the NimBo Defense!"  Just kidding...  Wink

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 03/04/13 at 19:41:27
Post Tools
We can make a poll if you wish..  Smiley
Some options can be:
- How to play Nimzo/Bogo-Indian, Everyman's repertoire for...
- Everyman's Nimzo/Bogo-Indian repertoire
- Everyman Chess' Nimzo/Bogo-Indian repertoire
or even a new series
- Everyman's Best Openings: Nimzo/Bogo-Indian repertoire
Wink

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/04/13 at 12:08:02
Post Tools

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #1 - 03/04/13 at 11:54:08
Post Tools
Just saw this, but he doesn't have a title yet and didn't mention a publisher...
« Last Edit: 03/04/13 at 18:38:23 by ghenghisclown »  

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

New Nimzo/Bogo-Indian Repertoire book
03/03/13 at 21:25:54
Post Tools
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBqNwiS5fAM

It's scheduled for Autumn and being made by German IM Christof Sielecki. He's been doing the excellent chess youtube channel for number of years now under account name: ChessExplained. Publisher is Everyman chess.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo