Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Back up blitz opening that fits in well with KID (Read 8257 times)
Ty
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Back up blitz opening that fits in well with KID
Reply #10 - 08/11/13 at 01:23:01
Post Tools
I've never been a KID player, but I think the Modern Benoni might be a good fit. It is sharp, has some similarities to the KID, but less theory. I do quite well with it in blitz.

IP Logged

Devilman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 08/10/13 at 11:46:18
Post Tools
gramsci wrote on 03/17/13 at 17:59:05:
For instance, in the 4PA I've tried everything: the gambit 6...e5; 7...Na6 & 8...e5; 6...c5 with 9...Bg4 and 9...Re8... and I always lose in blitz and OTB. The reason is he's better player than me, of course, but I feel my only possibility to beat him is changing the battlefield

So i suggest Grunfeld, because you can keep the same d-specials, the f3 kid, the fianchetto kid, you move d5 only against Nc3 and there is no 4pa!

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 03/21/13 at 03:17:37
Post Tools
Modern Slav 2nd edition by Martin (DVD)
Chebanenko Slav by Bologan (DVD)
a6 Slav in 60mins by Kritz (DVD)
Chebanenko Slav by Bologan (book)
Exchange Slav in 60 mins by Danielsen (DVD)

These are the sources I use as references, Bologan also covers Exch Slav in his DVD, they both recommend the a6 line, so it's consistent with the rest of the repertoire, and it's also statistically one of the best ways to play vs Exch Slav.

I also own the a6 Slav by Plaskett (Foxy Chess DVD), it's old now but a lot of the ideas are the same. There's also the a6 Slav by Flear, I don't have this so can't comment. If you could only get one product I would recommend Bologan's DVD, most up to date and he gives a complete repertoire, doesn't deal with d4 pawn specials though.

I'd also add that I took up a6 Slav after McShane started playing it a couple years back. I always find it interesting to see which openings he plays as he works full-time and still plays against top lvl GM's. So I assume when he picks openings to play he looks for something that's interesting, and has a low amount of theory, as I expect he doesn't have much time to study openings. And he seems to have put his faith in the Berlin and a6 Slav repertoire for the last few years. Before the a6 Slav he was playing the King's Indian Na6 lines, which I also like to play. I like McShane a lot, very nice guy as well, got his autograph at last LCC.

IP Logged

gramsci

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 03/20/13 at 18:15:29
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 03/18/13 at 00:54:48:
I play the a6 Slav as my backup, interesting and reliable.

Interesting. I think Sergei Movsesian plays both the KID and the a6 Slav. What are in your opinion the best sources (books, DVD...) on the a6 Slav?

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 03/18/13 at 00:54:48
Post Tools
I play the a6 Slav as my backup, interesting and reliable.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #5 - 03/17/13 at 18:46:55
Post Tools
You can play 1. d4 d6 and play KID vs 2. Nf3, avoiding 4PA and some other lines or play 2. ...Bg4, plus vs other White second moves you have alternatives.

After 2. e4 you have options of Pirc, Modern, Czech or Philidor

Or you could just try 1. ...g6 for Modern vs d4

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

gramsci

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 03/17/13 at 18:38:26
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 03/17/13 at 18:22:56:
I've gotta say, I'm in awe of this.  Looking for a "back-up blitz opening" after 10 or so possibilities have been tried and rejected -- it's like the ultimate 21st-century question/problem, or something. 

They are not rejected yet. It's only I can't make up my mind, I'm not able to see which one fits in well with the KID. Lahno and Grischuk paly KID and Grunfeld, Gwain Jones KID and Benko or NID/BOI. May be they're the guys to follow.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #3 - 03/17/13 at 18:22:56
Post Tools
I've gotta say, I'm in awe of this.  Looking for a "back-up blitz opening" after 10 or so possibilities have been tried and rejected -- it's like the ultimate 21st-century question/problem, or something.

IP Logged

gramsci

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/17/13 at 17:59:05
Post Tools
tony37 wrote on 03/17/13 at 17:44:00:
maybe you can look for more risky variations within the KID itself...

That's an option. However what happen when an opponent higher rated than you always beats you in a concrete line. For instance, in the 4PA I've tried everything: the gambit 6...e5; 7...Na6 & 8...e5; 6...c5 with 9...Bg4 and 9...Re8... and I always lose in blitz and OTB. The reason is he's better player than me, of course, but I feel my only possibility to beat him is changing the battlefield

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 03/17/13 at 17:44:00
Post Tools
maybe you can look for more risky variations within the KID itself...

IP Logged

gramsci

I Love ChessPublishing!

Back up blitz opening that fits in well with KID
03/17/13 at 17:29:58
Post Tools
I've got the KID as 1st defence vs. 1d4 and I'm searching another opening mainly for blitz games that fits in well. I also play Ruy Lopez as main opening and 4 Nights with Bb5 as 2nd for blitz. Najdorf as 1st defence and Classical, Scheveningen, Taimanov and even Grivas Sicilian as 2nd. I find they conform an harmonious repertoire. I've got good memory and in the blitz games I like to vary to broaden my chess and not to get tired of playing always the same positions with club mates. I haven't had problems finding 2nd option openings that fit in with the main opening except against 1.d4. I've tried everything: NID/MB-QID-Ragozin, Semi-Slav, Tarrasch, Tartakower, QGA, Grunfeld, Benko, Czech Benoni, Chigorin, etc...What do you think, what other opening suits the KID especially -but not necessarily- for blitz games? Thanks for your advice.

Btw, don't you think we should liven up this KID forum? I'm under the impression it's slowly dying.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo