Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Questions RE: Books for kids (Read 8104 times)
brinch
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Questions Books for kids
Reply #12 - 06/13/13 at 12:38:32
Post Tools
Oh yeah - nearly forgot the Yossopov series. I've heard a lot of good things about this series, and will try to use the books with my own son - and maybe use it when I teach in the local chess club.

IP Logged

brinch
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 06/13/13 at 12:33:07
Post Tools
I have used several different books on chess to teach my son who is 9 years. Yasser Seriwan's books on chess are really good as they teach beyond basics with not to much technical nonsense. Silman's are also fine.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #10 - 04/04/13 at 18:54:41
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 04/04/13 at 17:57:11:
By the way, it puts Dan Heisman's recent collection of games to shame. The latter is not up to Heisman's usual standard. Unlike Wilson, Heisman appears unable or unwilling to evaluate positions for himself in print, and cites engines almost exclusively. This disappointing book should really be called "Houdini evaluates positions from amateurs while Heisman berates and sometimes mocks them ("You can't make this stuff up!") for moving too fast and/or carelessly."

Agreed. I was really disappointed by The World's Most Instructive Amateur Game Book (starting with the self-aggrandizing title), especially since some of his other material is so good (A Guide to Chess Improvement should be required reading for every player under 1600). He should be making a few trenchant points per game that a class C player can really grasp and internalize, not providing glosses on Houdini's evals every move. A real missed opportunity.

Quote:
I would recommend Ivaschenko's Manual of Chess Combinations 1a and 1b as a tactics series. "Every Russian schoolboy knows" these books.

Me too. I love these books. They provide a great structured and graded tour through all the basic tactics. You have to be okay with no words though.

IP Logged

snits

Reply #9 - 04/04/13 at 18:46:26
Post Tools
Anyone have any experience with the Step Method books?

http://www.chess-steps.com/

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #8 - 04/04/13 at 17:57:11
Post Tools
I second the suggestion of Wilson's Simple Attacking Plans. It fills a niche that nothing else really does, and contains some memorable lines and ideas. My favorite is this:"a long strong queen move is a necessary feature of many attacks"; the would-be attacker should keep his eyes open for this moment. This is a simple observation, obvious only in retrospect: everyone knows it, but no one from Lasker to the present ever said it. Wilson, an experienced kids' coach, is a literate and very entertaining writer. I didn't find the game selection over the audience's heads; whether the game starts as a Caro-Kann, a Dragon Yugoslav, or an open game, the reader can understand clearly what is going on during the attacking phase. This book is really a kind of Vukovic for lower-rated players, and I can't recommend it enough.

By the way, it puts Dan Heisman's recent collection of games to shame. The latter is not up to Heisman's usual standard. Unlike Wilson, Heisman appears unable or unwilling to evaluate positions for himself in print, and cites engines almost exclusively. This disappointing book should really be called "Houdini evaluates positions from amateurs while Heisman berates and sometimes mocks them ("You can't make this stuff up!") for moving too fast and/or carelessly."

I would recommend Ivaschenko's Manual of Chess Combinations 1a and 1b as a tactics series. "Every Russian schoolboy knows" these books.
« Last Edit: 04/04/13 at 19:42:09 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #7 - 03/27/13 at 18:32:27
Post Tools
I really like Seirawan's books Play Winning Chess, Winning Chess Brilliancies, Winning Chess Strategies, and Winning Chess Tactics.  I also think that Best Lessons of a Chess Coach is quite good.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #6 - 03/27/13 at 08:47:06
Post Tools
Have look at Richard James' site (UK): http://www.chesskids.com/newcourse/index.htm.
He wrote a book Move 2 for intermediate juniros (post-beginners) but never got published. It is available for download for a donation.
He is blogging on GM Nigel Davies webiste. Have a read of his phillosophy: http://chessimprover.com/category/richard-james/

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

Larsen_fan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 03/27/13 at 07:44:10
Post Tools
Hi

I teach 10 – 12 kids once a week at the local club including two of my own (7 and 9 years). I recently got Fred Wilsons Simple Attacking plans and I can recommend it with some reservations. It is not a complete program or something but it has some instructive games and good explanations. It is aimed at Kids who in Wilsons words “are beginning to understand that a game of chess is not just random tactic” (not exact quote since I don’t have the book here). The ambition is to teach Kids four main principiles in attacking chess:

Attack f2/f7 in the opening if justified.
When attacking the enemy King bring as many attackers as possiple.
When attacking the castled King go for h2/h7 often combined with getting rid of the defending Knight.
When the enemy King gets stuck in the center do all you can to open up lines and especially to dominate the e-file. 

The book starts out very good with nice illustrative games some between Kids. But too quickly too many games are between masters and of a kind the Kids cannot relate to (not often these Kids meet 12 moves of theory in the caro or something). Anyway, this is what I have found, but it is not a major problem since you as a teacher will put together your own program anyway and can use the book as a supplement. Maybe those mastergames will come in handy later.

I have used the book to teach the two first principles and just as important to teach the beginners how to avoid getting mated on f7 quickly and to remember keeping some defenders near the King.

I find the book a nice supplement to tactical training because it introduces the Kids to the idea that you do not have to wait for those briliant tactics to come out of the blue – you can put pressure on your opponent and force mistakes and tactical possibilities.

Anyway, many of the games are like I said fun and instructive – my 7 year old have already memorized 3 and no doubt working with the principles helped him win the beginers group at the latest tournament we went to (brag, brag, brag).

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #4 - 03/26/13 at 20:13:59
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 03/26/13 at 19:58:56:
Also, if you are looking for internet resources as well, Chess Tempo is a fabulous site that serves you tactics problems appropriate to your rating. I know of other kids who have enjoyed it a lot.

While doing tactics puzzles is always a good idea, I prefer to use books (or computer programs) where the puzzles are intentionally selected by a coach for their instructional value, rather than just random problems from games. Something like Dan Heisman's "Back to Basics: Tactics" or Jon Bain's "Chess Tactics for Students" would be good for kids at that level.

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #3 - 03/26/13 at 19:58:56
Post Tools
Also, if you are looking for internet resources as well, Chess Tempo is a fabulous site that serves you tactics problems appropriate to your rating. I know of other kids who have enjoyed it a lot.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #2 - 03/26/13 at 19:40:35
Post Tools
Elizabeth Spiegel (née Vicary), chess teacher at the famed I.S. 318 middle school featured in the movie Brooklyn Castle, has a good list of recommended books for improving children here.

I agree with you about the Yusupov series; I started it at around 1800 and found it perfect for that level, not much below.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/26/13 at 18:39:53
Post Tools
The Alburt and Pelts "Comprehensive Chess Course" is something I used to use.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Questions RE: Books for kids
03/26/13 at 18:25:59
Post Tools
hello fellow enthusiasts !

i am looking for some recommendations for some young kids ages 7 to 11, already playing chess with uscf ratings in the 1000-1200 range

while this is an opening theory site, i am eschewing openings here and i am looking for problems, endgames, mate in 2, etc

my own level of skill is uscf expert (fide 1900) level and i have been having hard time finding materials appropriate for their level

thanks in advance for any sage advice as well

Smiley

edited to add: i am currently going through the yusupov series for myself and think its great (really helping me improve long term), but find it really hard for people that are not yet already about 1800 rating

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo