Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Open Games book (Read 61193 times)
ruzomberok
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New Open Games book
Reply #76 - 04/28/16 at 15:52:44
Post Tools
Thanks a lot, IMJohnCox,  it means a lot coming from such a respected author as yourself.

For anyone looking for a great book against the Ruy Lopez, John's book on the Berlin Wall is by far the best work ever on the Berlin.  Smiley

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #75 - 04/09/16 at 00:12:11
Post Tools
To add my own two pence, I think this is a remarkable good book, inasmuch as it opens some rooms we haven't been in yet (to use Anand's phrase), which is a very rare and important thing for an opening book to do.

You could criticise the balance in spots (more on this, less on this - for me, I would prefer more on the Two Knights and Scotch, maybe a bit less on the Four Knights with 4 a3, for example), and you could certainly say that the English isn't always perfect (and why would it be?), but the above is a shining quality which would make up for much worse quibbles than any I might make. Nils Grandelius was quite right to highlight this same quality in his foreword.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #74 - 03/28/16 at 18:19:36
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 03/27/16 at 21:25:37:
Tauromachie wrote on 11/24/15 at 13:11:54:
To be honest  I am not a huge fan of the reviews of Uwe Bekeman in general.

Yeah, I think online reviews in general have suffered greatly in the last 8 years or so.

It's sad that so many of the sites that provided reviews have stopped.

proustiskeen wrote on 03/28/16 at 00:36:29:
I agree. They all stink.

Grin

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #73 - 03/28/16 at 00:36:29
Post Tools
I agree. They all stink.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #72 - 03/27/16 at 21:25:37
Post Tools
Tauromachie wrote on 11/24/15 at 13:11:54:
To be honest  I am not a huge fan of the reviews of Uwe Bekeman in general.

Yeah, I think online reviews in general have suffered greatly in the last 8 years or so.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Reply #71 - 02/25/16 at 04:04:47
Post Tools
To answer my own issue of completeness against the Danish move order, I think Black can play:

1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 Bc5!? 5.Bc4 d6

and now 6.Nf3 Nc6 transposes to the text (p.334). (No Bxf7+ tactics and mainline Goering theory! Yay.) I just had this random thought while driving home during a storm for some odd reason...

This is a minor point that maybe no one cares about, but there it is.

Now there's Ntrilis' repertoire book to read. Great books on the open games are coming out fast.

On a side note about the Danish, the minor line 3...d5 4.exd5 Nf6!? mentioned by Bologan looks like a interesting and logical way to avoid mainline theory as well. From a quick search on the online Chessbase database, it appears to score well too (44%). This recently occurred to me during a session with a student who likes the 2...Nf6 Scandinavian.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #70 - 01/01/16 at 20:44:37
Post Tools
Purchased this book and personally I love it.  Emphasis is on playing ambitiously for a win against 1.e4, a rare approach among 1e4 e5 books for Black.  Compared to Bologan's fine work, Lokander's presentation is streamlined/simpler and less cluttered or "busy."  I find there is enough detail for my taste, but not too much.  I am happy with the dynamic imbalances in almost every chapter.  Perhaps White is "slightly better" here and there, but Black always has trumps and I find such fascinating positions quite fun to play.  I think a book like this can really inspire and contribute to a person's enjoyment of the game.  Wish this book existed when I started out in chess - 10+ years ago now, wow...
Everyman should be commended for its latest opening books including Sielecki on Nimzo-Bogo, Rotella on Kalashnikov, Smerdon on Scandinavian, and Houska on CK (though I don't have personal experience with all of them).  Probably more I am forgetting.  Anyway, this is not a "review" but I just wanted to share my enthusiasm and positive reaction to Mr. Lokander's effort.  Happy New Year!  Yay! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

2078 uscf
IP Logged

ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Reply #69 - 12/04/15 at 06:10:30
Post Tools
Cool book. I really like the recommendations. Practical, but does not shy from complications to play for a higher reward when there is an opportunity.

One thought that occurred while reading:

I like the idea of accepting the Danish and Goering and have independently investigated these lines for Black. However, there may be a small move order problem in terms of completeness. Against the Danish move order, 4.Nxc3 Nc6 5.Bc4 is not mentioned. If Black attempts to transpose to the book's recommendation with 5...Bc5, then he would meet the unpleasant 6.Bxf7. I think Black can play for advantage in the main line with 5...Bb4 if he gets the timing on Bxc3 right. This is a detail that is missing in Kaufman's repertoire. If this is not appealing, there is also 3...Qe7.

IP Logged

ruzomberok
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #68 - 12/01/15 at 13:48:18
Post Tools
Interestingly, two days ago a Swedish IM pointed out the same omission. I do not know why or how I didn't mention 11.O-O (and only 11.c3). It's not a huge challenge (the variation Mr. Schuh mentions is very appealing for Black), but of course this is something I should have mentioned.

Otherwise, I'm glad to see that the reviews are generally positive. Of course, they do mention that I'm only an FM but I believe there are several untitled authors who wrote excellent opening books lately. For example, Nikos books for Quality Chess and Tony Rotella's book on the Kalashnikov are really excellent. During my work with this book I've gone from 2300 to 2400 and acheived both my IM-norms in 2015, so maybe I need to write more books!?  Wink

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #67 - 12/01/15 at 10:29:40
Post Tools
Maybe later, I'm at work. Anyway the main point of his criticism is that treatment of lesser moves and errors by White is lacking; in the line he gives, 12.c3 is given as "basically necessary" (because of the ...Qd4 threat attacking both f2 and e5) but the database shows that 12.0-0 was also played 51 times, the book gives no guidance about it and this IM says he wouldn't find the refutation over the board. So you have to do a lot of work yourself on these minor moves.

But besides that, he still says the theoretical content in the main lines is "wirklich top", really top, and hopes that a book on the Ruy will follow, with improved didactical style.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #66 - 12/01/15 at 09:59:37
Post Tools
If someone could translate the german text in this topic? Thanks!

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #65 - 12/01/15 at 07:06:02
Post Tools
Here is another on, critical more, from Niggemann Germany:

Martin Lokander fiel mir zuerst 2011 beim Czech Open in Pardubice auf. Mit damals 2044 Elo verdarb er einigen Titelträgern das Turnier. Mittlerweile ist er Fidemeister und bringt eine Elo von 2358 auf die Waage. Zudem hat er bei Everyman Chess jetzt sein erstes Schachbuch mit dem Titel "the Open Games with Black" veröffentlicht. Dies zeugt von gewissem Mut, da sich die meisten Fidemeister, die auf dem Büchermarkt aktiv werden wollen, einen Großmeister an Land ziehen, dessen Name mit dem ihren auf dem Cover prangt, damit die Qualität dessen nicht angezweifelt wird. Ich selbst bin auch nur Internationaler Meister, aber sollte nach der vorherrschenden Meinung wohl zumindest noch ein wenig besser als Autor geeignet sein als ein Fidemeister, was natürlich Quatsch ist. Ich kenne einige Fidemeister, die im Eröffnungsbereich bärig stark sind, aber danach viele Chancen vergeben, während ich zum Beispiel von Eröffnungen eher im allgemeinen Sinne Ahnung habe.

In dem Buch werden die offenen Spiele nach 1.e4 e5 abgehandelt. Dabei fehlt allerdings die Spanische Eröffnung, was verständlich ist. Ansonsten wäre das Buch nämlich sicher doppelt so dick geworden.

Warum aber sollte man dieses Buch kaufen, wo doch gerade in diesem Eröffnungsbereich mit Büchern von GM Bologan, GM Davies, GM Emms und anderen einige starke Vorlagen vorhanden sind?

Die Antwort ist relativ einfach. Nach 1.e4 e5 gibt es soviele Möglichkeiten, dass man all die genannten Bücher besitzen und in diesem doch neues entdecken kann.

Sehr gut gefällt mir dabei, dass sich der Autor darum bemüht, ausgetretene Pfade zu vermeiden und unbekanntere Ideen mit viel Potential aufzeigt. Als Beispiel gebe ich meine alte "Remiswaffe", das Schottische Vierspringerspiel, an. Nach den Anfangszügen 1.e4 e5 2.Sf3 Sc6 3.Sc3 Sf6 4.d4 exd4 5.Sxd4 Lb4 6.Sxc6 bxc6 7.Ld3 0-0 8.0-0 d5 9.exd5 cxd5 10.Lg5 ist hier c6 der absolute Hauptzug, mit dem man aber schwerlich gegen einen erfahrenen Weißspieler gewinnen wird. Der Autor hingegegen votiert für 10. ...Le6, der wegen 11.Sb5 als ungenau gilt, zeigt hier aber lockeren Ausgleich auf, bei dem Schwarz gutes Gegenspiel besitzt. Gegen die Schottische Eröffnung empfiehlt er nach 1.e4 e5 2.Sf3 Sc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Sxd4 das kämpferische Sf6 und auch gegen Italienisch strebt Schwarz nach 1.e4 e5 2.Sf3 Sc6 3.Lc4 mit Sf6 nach schnellem Gegenspiel. Dabei werden auch Modeerscheinungen der letzten Zeit beachtet.

Die Empfehlungen erscheinen mir sehr gut geeignet und einige konnte ich schon mit Erfolg im Blitzschach ausprobieren. Ein Problem habe ich eher mit der Didaktik. Auch aufgrund der Fülle an verschiedenen möglichen Systemen, die nach 1.e4 e5 auf das Brett kommen können, ist es wichtig, dass man das wesentliche aufzeigt. Dazu gehören natürlich auch häufige weniger gute Züge bzw. Fehler des Gegners. In diesem Bereich ist das Buch leider etwas schwach. Auch hier gebe ich ein Beispiel. Im empfohlenen Zweispringerspiel im Nachzug nach 1.e4 e5 2.Sf3 Sc6 3.Lc4 Sf6 5.Sg5 d5 6.exd5 Sa5 7.Lb5+ c6 8.dxc6 bxc6 9.Le2 h6 10.Sf3 e4 11.Se5 wird Lc5 empfohlen. Der Zug droht Dd4 mit der Doppeldrohung gegen f2 und e5. Nun wird nur 12.c3 angeben und damit kommentiert, dass der Zug mehr oder weniger notwendig ist. Laut der Megabase 2015 wurde 51mal die kurze Rochade gespielt und es wäre nicht schwer gewesen, diesen natürlichen Zug kurz zu würdigen. Am Brett würde ich nach 12.0-0 Dd6 13.Sg4 Lxg4 14.Lxg4 h5 mit der Idee 15.Le2 Sg4 16.g3 Sxh2 mit durchschlagendem Angriff nach Kxh2 h4 nämlich nicht finden. Hier versucht der Autor zu sehr, nur die kritischen Varianten zu klären und überlegt gar nicht, welche natürlichen, aber weniger guten Züge Leute spielen würden, die theoretisch nicht so bewandert sind. Dadurch muss der Leser bestimmte Varianten immer wieder selbst prüfen, was auf Dauer störend wirkt. Sehr gut ist hingegen, dass er erklärt, warum er welche Nebenvariante den Hauptabspielen vorzieht und dies sehr gut mit kurzen Varianten belegt.

Insgesamt ist das Repertoire in den Hauptvarianten wirklich top und gibt Schwarz stets Stellungen, in denen er auf Gewinn spielen kann. Ich würde mir wünschen, dass Martin Lokander noch ein Buch gegen die Spanische Eröffnung mit einem aber weiterentwickelten Stil schreiben darf.

IM Dirk Schuh

IP Logged

ruzomberok
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #64 - 11/25/15 at 23:26:22
Post Tools
Yeah, although the review seemed positive and for that I'm grateful, I look forward to see some reviews that actually try to challenge my ideas.

Sure, some might not like the structure of the book or find linguistic errors, but my main focus has been on the actual chess analysis  Smiley

IP Logged

Tauromachie
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #63 - 11/24/15 at 13:11:54
Post Tools
To be honest  I am not a huge fan of the reviews of Uwe Bekeman in general. As you can see he does not even look at any line in the book and thats a thing which i recognize in almost all of his reviews  (please correct me, if I am mistaken).
I really hope there will be more "scientific" reviews which dare to question some of the choices of Mr. Lokander and aim to challenge his approaches in a theoretical sense. That's of course not meant in a bad way, as I pointed out earlier i really like his work and therefore it absolutely deserves to be treated in that way.

Reviews like the one of Uwe Bekeman are of course positiv advertisement and i am sure Mr. Lokander is happy to see that but this work needs to be discussed in more Detail as the author put a lot of effort in it and some lines are theoretical so fresh that the real discussion is just about beginning.

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #62 - 11/21/15 at 12:39:25
Post Tools
Here's first review! Please comment!

"the Open Games with Black“ des schwedischen IM Martin Lokander ist eine Neuerscheinung von Everyman Chess, die sich an den Schwarzspieler richtet. Sie bietet ihm ein Repertoire für den Einsatz nach 1.e4 e5 an, sofern Weiß nach dem Aufzug der beiden Königsbauern nicht in die Spanische Partie überleitet. Das von Lokander angebotene Eröffnungsspektrum ist breit, fußt aber insbesondere auf dem Zwei- und dem Vierspringerspiel, Schottisch sowie dem Königs- und dem Mittelgambit. Gestreift werden auch seltener gewählte Spielweisen wie beispielsweise Ponziani und Portugiesisch.

Als Grundlage aller Darstellungen dienen grundsätzlich Partien aus der Turnierpraxis. Nur ausnahmsweise, und dies gilt dann für die Exoten unter den Eröffnungen, begnügt sich das Werk mit einer Thematisierung in der Form einer Variante. Die wichtigen Eröffnungen werden zunächst über eine kurze Darstellung der Basistheorie eingeführt, bevor die Erörterung über die genannten Partien in die Details geht.

Insgesamt finden sich 71 Partien im Buch, von denen einige auch im Fernschach gespielt worden sind. Die meisten Duelle stammen aus den jüngst vergangenen Jahren, vereinzelt hat Lokander aber auch auf ein paar ältere "Schätzchen“ zurückgegriffen. Die Kommentierung orientiert sich natürlich am Ziel, die Theorie an den Leser zu bringen, entsprechend ist sie inhaltlich gestaltet. Unterhaltende Elemente sind nur sehr zurückhaltend eingesetzt. Lokander legt sehr viel Wert auf Textkommentierung. Varianten über Partiefragmente und Analysen beschränken sich in der Regel auf eine Tiefe, die auch einem noch nicht allzu erfahrenen Spieler nicht zu viel abverlangt. Ausnahmsweise arbeitet das Werk auch mit einem Variantengeflecht, dann aber schon an entsprechend gelagerten Stellen mit beachtenswerten Verzweigungsmöglichkeiten.

Abschnittsweise hält eine wertende Zusammenfassung für den Leser das komprimiert fest, was dieser in den Bereich der "großen Leitentscheidungen“ aufnehmen kann. Unter "wertend“ verstehe ich bei diesem Buch, dass Lokander neben Abschätzungen zu sachlichen Fragen durchaus auch schon mal sehr subjektive Aussagen einstreut, also beispielsweise zu eigenen Vorlieben. Mir gefällt diese Art der Gestaltung durchaus; gerade auch bei einem Repertoirebuch spielt die persönliche Vorliebe und Abneigung des Autors gegenüber sachlich ähnlich zu bewertenden Alternativen eine nicht unerhebliche Rolle. Es kann dem Leser nicht schaden, wenn er hierzu etwas aus dem Nähkästchen des Autors erfährt.

Nach meiner Einschätzung ist das Repertoire für einen Einsatz bis ins Klubspiel gut geeignet, es ist teilweise wie eine Grundausstattung zu verstehen. Der Spieler erhält kein vollständig abgesichertes Repertoire, das seinem Gegenüber ein sorgenarmes Überwechseln in durchaus aussichtsreiche Varianten verwehrt. Allerdings kann man einen solchen Anspruch an ein Buch wie dieses auch nicht stellen, das eben ein Grundrepertoire zusammenstellt, und dies für die breite Palette der Möglichkeiten nach 1.e4 e5 und dann abseits der Spanischen Partie.

Lokander hat bei seiner Auswahl viel Wert darauf gelegt, dass Schwarz möglichst schnell zu einem aktiven Spiel und Initiative kommt. Dafür ist er auch Zugeständnisse einzugehen bereit, beispielsweise hinsichtlich des Positionsspiels. Nach seinen Angaben ist er mit diesem Prinzip in seinen eigenen Partien gut gefahren, weshalb er es entsprechend weitergibt.

Die Buchsprache ist Englisch. Wenn der Leser über Fremdsprachkenntnisse auf Schulniveau verfügt, sollte er recht "geschmeidig“ mit dem Werk arbeiten können.

Im Bereich der letzten Seiten des Buches bietet sich dem Leser ein ausführliches Variantenverzeichnis an, das ihm eine einfache Navigation über die Buchinhalte hinweg erlaubt.

Fazit: "the Open Games with Black“ ist ein “Allrounder”, der dem Leser ein Repertoire anbietet, das bis in den Bereich des Klubspiels hinein eine gute Grundausstattung liefert. Es basiert auf den offenen Eröffnungen abseits der Spanischen Partie.

Uwe Bekemann

Fernschachpost 8/2015

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo