Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Potent Sveshnikov double pawn-sac for black: (Read 8281 times)
neurologo
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Potent Sveshnikov double pawn-sac for black:
Reply #7 - 06/24/13 at 23:55:02
Post Tools
I am just lost in a correspondence game in which after 19.- Qd3 i played, wrongly f4 and f3. Now I have just lost my f3 pawn ...

IP Logged

FirebrandX

What would Houdini do?

Reply #6 - 06/13/13 at 12:26:13
Post Tools
GuggleBuf wrote on 06/01/13 at 20:41:50:
Excellent post FirebrandX, used this today in the penultimate round to assure me my third otb IM-norm.

I love you bro! (no homo).

Smiley

NICE!!

I have to admit the win I gained from using this move was vitally important as I'm now going to secure 1st place in the 19th USA CCC with a + 6 score after my last opponent resigns.

I'm in the process of writing full analysis notes to this win and several other key games I played in the tournament. They will likely be posted in Alex Dunne's CC articles over at USCF after the tournament is mostly finished.

IP Logged

GuggleBuf
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/01/13 at 20:41:50
Post Tools
Excellent post FirebrandX, used this today in the penultimate round to assure me my third otb IM-norm.

I love you bro! (no homo).

Smiley

IP Logged

FirebrandX

What would Houdini do?

Reply #4 - 05/28/13 at 20:16:48
Post Tools
14.Nxb5 has to do with popularity. In my ICCF archives, it still holds a 30% greater usage than c3.

Now my own approach to attacking the Sveshnikov in CC is to go for the most complex possible line I can. I recently won a game on my way to the IM title (which I will get after a couple more opponents finally resign) in the MN-093 tournament:

My opponent was at a loss for a plan in the ultra-complex middlegame, and subsequently made a mistake playing 23...fxe4? when this assured that black wouldn't have the usual counterplay with a pawn storm down the kingside. From there, it was a fairly simple matter of winning by brute force in the center.

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #3 - 05/28/13 at 14:13:32
Post Tools
I'm surprised people still play this 14.Nxb5 variation, especially in correspondence - I thought it was well-known that Black obtains fantastic compensation for the pawn. The last time I looked at this (which was a long time ago!) White was trying lines like 14.Re1 and 14.c3 Bg7 15.Nc2.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #2 - 05/28/13 at 13:26:27
Post Tools
Really interesting post - thanks for bringing this one up!  Grin

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 05/28/13 at 08:56:35
Post Tools
Scary. From a rather ignorant perspective I have to say that this very much looks to be what white deserves for sending his bishop over to b3! It does look rather absurd out there.

Of course if a 2600+ correspondence player is doing it, I have to presume that there is quite a bit of logic underlying it somewhere Smiley

IP Logged

FirebrandX

What would Houdini do?

Potent Sveshnikov double pawn-sac for black:
05/27/13 at 21:58:42
Post Tools
Even the best CC players miss golden opportunities:

Recently in the Witold Bielecki Memorial/ Top players GM Voss (2657) missed a golden opportunity to play a hot novelty against World Champion Langeveld (2681) that has scored wins for black in two ICCF games thus far (one of them being my own).

Here's the Langeveld - Voss game:

Langeveld played 18.Bb3, which is a normal theory move, except there is now a move for black that puts Bb3 into serious question! This move is 18...f4! as discovered by SIM Sváček, Pavel (2525) in WCCC31CT06:

Although his opponent responded poorly to the move and was quickly losing for the rest of the game, I was nevertheless very intrigued by the idea of f4 basically refuting 18.Bb3. Sure enough, I had an opportunity to play it myself in the ongoing 19th USA CC. This time around, my opponent played very deeply calculated moves, and I had to virtually map out every reasonable defense for white over the course of several weeks. In the end, I was able to force a won endgame in spite of my opponent's mistake-free play:

Will 18...f4 continue to refute Bb3? Only time will tell...

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo