Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Book: The Complete Kalashnikov (Read 39795 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: New Book: The Complete Kalashnikov
Reply #14 - 06/04/13 at 12:49:22
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 06/04/13 at 12:40:06:
And I look forward to seeing the anti-Rossolimo stuff too. And the c3.

This will be a big selling point for Tony's book of course. And 3.Nc3 coverage too.

Both the author and the editors at Everyman should be capable of better English and organization than CE (understatement of the year)!

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #13 - 06/04/13 at 12:40:06
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 06/04/13 at 12:26:17:
I acknowledge that C&L's book is mostly fine on a theoretical level (I have some minor quibbles, but they're not worth reproducing here, as it's obviously going to look like I'm biased anyway), but I agree with what everyone is saying - the organization, typesetting, editing, call it whatever, is just horrendous.

I think even if I had the English copy, I wouldn't want this to be my first book on the Kalashnikov (again, somewhat biased) - it reminds me of an old, well-researched Nunn analysis/database explosion that's somehow been transported through time! 

Wink

Make yours very accessible Tony, we beg of thee. And allow an ebook soon too please.
ETA?
And I look forward to seeing the anti-Rossolimo stuff too. And the c3.
Mind you, right now I am dead happy as Japan just qualified for the World Cup footie, so the annoyance of the Kalash book not getting me down...!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #12 - 06/04/13 at 12:26:17
Post Tools
I acknowledge that C&L's book is mostly fine on a theoretical level (I have some minor quibbles, but they're not worth reproducing here, as it's obviously going to look like I'm biased anyway), but I agree with what everyone is saying - the organization, typesetting, editing, call it whatever, is just horrendous.

I think even if I had the English copy, I wouldn't want this to be my first book on the Kalashnikov (again, somewhat biased) - it reminds me of an old, well-researched Nunn analysis/database explosion that's somehow been transported through time! 

Wink

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #11 - 06/04/13 at 12:17:10
Post Tools
Excellent points, and a useful reminder that there's a heck of a lot more to good chess book editing than dealing with unidiomatic or ungrammatical expression, critical though that is!

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #10 - 06/04/13 at 12:07:11
Post Tools
I have the French version.
It is indeed remarkably difficult to keep track of what is where.
Just Really Badly Organised.
Needs to be more broken up into MANY more sample games. Not just oodles and oodles dumped into single games. Just masses of subvariations to wade through, and poorly signposted. Reeks of a CB 'file merge' effort on a grand scale.
And this is someone who has played the Kalashnikov on and off for more than 20 years, so very familiar with the lines. Some interesting stuff when I have been able to spare some time to wade, but it is soooo user unfriendly.
*Grumpy face*

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #9 - 06/04/13 at 10:23:26
Post Tools
Quote:
Or maybe their readers don't care enough about correct language to make it worthwhile, economically...

This may be true, who knows? But I think the purely economic stumbling block is probably more significant: chess book publishers' margins presumably just don't allow them to employ professional copy editors. But it's a question of 'culture' as well -- chess book publishers' editorial personnel usually don't have the understanding of what professional copy editing actually involves that the editorial staff of publishers producing books on more mainstream subjects do as a matter of course and of 'tradition'.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #8 - 06/04/13 at 10:05:02
Post Tools
Chess Evolution is run by a bunch of strong grandmasters, I believe. So "decent knowledge of the subject" (chess) is certainly in place. It's the English language skills and/or the realization that they need a competent translator/editor that's lacking.

Or maybe their readers don't care enough about correct language to make it worthwhile, economically...
« Last Edit: 06/04/13 at 12:40:39 by Stigma »  

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #7 - 06/04/13 at 07:37:22
Post Tools
Quote:
When will publishers wake up to the fact that, to produce a good translation of a chess book, you need a native speaker, as well as someone with a decent knowledge of the subject?

Or alternatively a decent editor with a decent knowledge of the subject. I or anyone competent could have sorted this out for them very easily. But chess book publishers often haven't a clue. Alas, it's far from unheard of for an in-house 'editor' to reintroduce mistakes that a competent translator-editor has previously carefully eliminated!

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #6 - 06/04/13 at 01:31:52
Post Tools
Flear gave the French edition a glowing review, which is probably justified purely from the point of view of the chess content, but I found the layout, although superfically attractive, very user-unfriendly indeed, rather as in Sakaev's book on the Slav, from the same stable. So I hope they've improved on that in the English edition - but I'm not holding my breath....

To judge from the sample, the so-called translation has been done on the cheap. The authors may even have done it themselves, with predictable results.

When will publishers wake up to the fact that, to produce a good translation of a chess book, you need a native speaker, as well as someone with a decent knowledge of the subject?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #5 - 06/04/13 at 00:55:37
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 06/04/13 at 00:33:37:
This is a translation of the French version I think. No? Grrr - I just bought the French one.

It is, more or less. In the intro, they write:

Quote:
With the translation of our book “The Complete Kalashnikov” into English, we have performed some updates to it. Following some feedback we received
about the first edition, we carried out some small changes, added news games and of course found some improvements.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #4 - 06/04/13 at 00:51:00
Post Tools
Looking at the pdf, I'm excited to see it seems Cornette and Libiszewski are trying to revive Black's case in the old, sharp main line 6.N1c3 a6 7.Na3 b5 8.Nd5 Nge7!?. This is what I always played when I used the Kalashnikov, and when I lost too many games with it, I gave up the entire opening (the quieter 7...Be7 never appealed to me).

11...Bd7 "!" in the contents must mean they believe Black is alive. So now I only need to find something I like against 3.Bb5 and 3.Nc3 (the other big headaches of Kalashnikov players), and I will have a sharp new/old defence to 1.e4.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #3 - 06/04/13 at 00:33:37
Post Tools
This is a translation of the French version I think. No? Grrr - I just bought the French one.

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Reply #2 - 06/03/13 at 23:52:58
Post Tools
Thats great! But I believe in Rotellas book when I see it on the bookshelf  Wink

Will it be published finally ? I now see it is delayed till August 2013 and October for the U.S.  Whats going on ?

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #1 - 06/03/13 at 22:40:59
Post Tools
See posts 114-17 here:

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1271701647/105

Writing a book on this opening is a truly heroic undertaking! And this summer promises two!

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

New Book: The Complete Kalashnikov
06/03/13 at 22:09:01
Post Tools

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo