Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Open" Ruy Lopez, GM Seirawan's secret weapon (Read 23249 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: "Open" Ruy Lopez, GM Seirawan's secret weapon
Reply #22 - 06/27/13 at 15:45:40
Post Tools
There are a couple of other threads where the main line is discussed at some length. After 14.Kxh2 Be6, I advocate Tarrasch's 15.c3, preserving the two bishops. After that, I much prefer White, though it remains a game of chess. For example, 15...f5 16.Bg5+ Kc8 17.Nd2 h6 18.Be3.

Apparently our chessfriend Matemax has refuted the Riga with his brilliant analysis in the NIC Yearbook, for which I salute him. Fine for corr chess or for those who want to book up on a complex line versus a system rarely encountered OTB.

But it's nice to know that White can obtain excellent play with the apparenty suboptimal but much simpler main line. That's why I say, the Riga is crap from top to bottom.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 06/27/13 at 05:03:02
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 06/27/13 at 03:46:26:
There has been at least one very long debate about this on this board, but I haven't the time to search it out and link it.

It´s on page 2 Wink

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1198625061

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #20 - 06/27/13 at 03:46:26
Post Tools
Way too much engine, not enough chess judgement in the frequently-expressed opinion that Black is OK in the Riga main line, with the rook and pawns versus the minor pieces.  Engines have their uses, but evaluating material imbalances isn't one of them. I'm not saying that we all have play chess the same way. I'm saying that the minor pieces are much better than the rook and pawns in the Riga main line. If you don't believe me, play the Riga; I could care less. I just don't like so see chess innocents misled by foolish posts here.

There has been at least one very long debate about this on this board, but I haven't the time to search it out and link it.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #19 - 06/26/13 at 18:00:07
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 06/26/13 at 15:21:25:
In that regard, this thread should be fine as the OP addresses a sub line that published by a high profile player which was claimed to be lost for White but now appears to be just fine.

Translation: [...] a sub line suggested as an offbeat surprise weapon by a high profile player who would never play such a risky line in a serious game himself, and who failed to adress most of the critical White replies found and recommended in the last few years (including right here on the CP Forum).

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #18 - 06/26/13 at 15:21:25
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 06/26/13 at 02:36:01:
My view is that the two-minor-pieces versus-rook version of the Riga is unambiguously better for White. If that is true, the Riga is crap from top to bottom. I regard its constant reappearance here as a demonstation of the naivete of its adherents. Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's my view.

Indeed it is very sad that this crap system is proposed here again and again.

Sad?   Grin

Not sure that's the appropriate adjective here.

In a era in which engines (sometimes with some human guidance) are finding all sorts of improvements in old lines that have been shelved and left for dead one can easily argue it is legitimate to bring up old 'crap' lines if someone thinks they have some new insights.

In that regard, this thread should be fine as the OP addresses a sub line that published by a high profile player which was claimed to be lost for White but now appears to be just fine.

Not everyone needs to play chess the same way with the same methods or openings as those you have anointed worthy.

Cool

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #17 - 06/26/13 at 02:36:01
Post Tools
My view is that the two-minor-pieces versus-rook version of the Riga is unambiguously better for White. If that is true, the Riga is crap from top to bottom. I regard its constant reappearance here as a demonstation of the naivete of its adherents. Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's my view.

Indeed it is very sad that this crap system is proposed here again and again.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #16 - 06/25/13 at 19:11:38
Post Tools
Ah yes, that line (continuing a few moves past 22. Bxa8 and ending with a decisive advantage for White) was part of Matemax's analysis in YB 86 ("Refutation of the Riga?").  One of the authors of the article I mentioned (which was in YB 85) replied and differed with Matemax about a rook ending arising after 19...Qg6 20. Bxd5 ...

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 06/25/13 at 18:40:58
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 06/25/13 at 15:05:13:
I notice that a Yearbook article on the Riga in 2007 leaned toward 8...f6 as the best reply to 8. Bg5, but had it coming out as += (with some "!?" alternatives for White along the way).

Let's see the position after 8.Bg5 f6 :

16. Re1!? ... seems very entertaining.  Wink

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #14 - 06/25/13 at 15:05:13
Post Tools
I notice that a Yearbook article on the Riga in 2007 leaned toward 8...f6 as the best reply to 8. Bg5, but had it coming out as += (with some "!?" alternatives for White along the way).

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 06/25/13 at 11:58:04
Post Tools
Plyo wrote on 06/25/13 at 11:41:22:
Surprisingly enough, I just played this very line, today!

http://mekk.waw.pl/mk/watchbot/game/4282794

Unfortunately my opponent disconnected but either way black is not lost by any stretch of the imagination.
It's an equal endgame I think.

In my notes I have the following variations (no idea what the origin is chesspub/silicon?) instead of 12. Rxe4

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 06/25/13 at 11:51:26
Post Tools
12.Nd4 (instead of 12.Rxe4) is the move here..  Wink

Edit: Correspondence practice here is one-sided: 100%

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Plyo
YaBB Newbies

Humility before the fact.

Reply #11 - 06/25/13 at 11:41:22
Post Tools
Vass wrote on 06/24/13 at 09:49:40:
Black has to hold the position after 8.Bg5!? in the first place.  Wink

It's not that I don't agree with you. You are right, this line needs to be studied but if you are planning to play this line as black you will obviously familiarise yourself with much more than what I covered in the first post and that includes Bg5 too.
The main reason I wanted to post it had to do with the Kf1 line that Serirawan claimed is losing which as I've shown, it isn't.

That aside...
Surprisingly enough, I just played this very line, today!

http://mekk.waw.pl/mk/watchbot/game/4282794

Unfortunately my opponent disconnected but either way black is not lost by any stretch of the imagination.
It's an equal endgame I think.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #10 - 06/25/13 at 02:31:25
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 06/25/13 at 01:15:37:
My apologies in advance but am I missing something here? What youtube channel, please?

http://www.youtube.com/user/STLChessClub

2078 uscf
IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #9 - 06/25/13 at 01:15:37
Post Tools
My apologies in advance but am I missing something here? What youtube channel, please?

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #8 - 06/25/13 at 00:20:00
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 06/24/13 at 21:18:04:
So, a lecture about the Riga which mentioned neither "Riga," nor the most famous game with it (Capablanca-Ed. Lasker)?  Curious.

I think the lecture was intended for intermediate level players, and as an example of how one should go about preparing a surprise weapon: deviate as early as possible, give the opponent multiple natural-looking continuations that turn out disastrously, etc.  Not intended as a theoretical overview.

It would have been nice if Yasser had mentioned, even in passing, that 8.c4!? and 8.Bg5!? were alternatives that Black needed to look at, even if he only focused on 8.Nxc6 in his lecture.  Or perhaps the video was only a part of the entire lecture. 

There are a lot of great videos on that channel that I recommend people take a look at.  You can't present much theory in an hour long lecture, and the best videos I've seen are the ones that just go over interesting GM games.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo