Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Random lines of solitaire chess (Read 23293 times)
ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Re: Random lines of solitaire chess
Reply #50 - 09/04/13 at 06:59:46
Post Tools
Lips Sealed

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #49 - 09/03/13 at 20:20:43
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 08/24/13 at 02:16:39:
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/22/13 at 09:12:21:
For me, the value of his solitaire chess games is brought out in the responses from others. If there are no responses, the thread will die of its own.

That is so true.

And, moreover, it is really true.  So, so true.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #48 - 08/24/13 at 02:16:39
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/22/13 at 09:12:21:
For me, the value of his solitaire chess games is brought out in the responses from others. If there are no responses, the thread will die of its own.

That is so true.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #47 - 08/18/13 at 07:50:21
Post Tools
One of the examples I used earlier was posted in the Kaissiber thread. I was not moderating the section at the time, another was. That post was not considered inappropriate at the time it was made.

For me, the job of the moderator is to remove

• personal attacks,
  • unwanted ads,
  • obscenities, and
  • irrelevant posts.

Several of sloughter's threads have been irrelevant, and I have locked or deleted them. I did not lock or delete his threads because he used an engine, I locked irrelevant threads. Most of our regular contributors use engines extensively. I will lock threads that do not generate any feedback but remain near the top of the lists because the originator continues to post in it.

I will also delete personal attacks.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #46 - 08/18/13 at 02:53:33
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 08/14/13 at 21:51:44:
Then the issue is not what moderators should censor, but who.

That is not the job of the moderator. That is entirely up to Tony.

Once again you persist in confusing the animus that some people bear toward sloughter with the perfectly reasonable complaints being made against a certain kind of posting. People are complaining about chandra-whoever's post, don't you see? And nobody knows who the hell he is. So it's not an attempt to censor a particular person.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Re: Random lines of solitaire chessu
Reply #45 - 08/18/13 at 02:38:54
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 08/17/13 at 22:40:55:
proustiskeen wrote on 08/17/13 at 21:49:11:
First Sloughter, now chandrashekharkoravi.  Can nothing be done?

This would have been avoided by acting more appropriately re: sloughter as all did bar smyslov fan. But smyslov fan refused to note Tony K's comment and the comments of members. Precedent thus set for new members who be otherwise unaware of how the vast majority convivially and productively operate: chuck whole games up. Downward spiral.
Personally, for the first time since joining, I am now really wondering whether this is worth it....

Several times in PMs I have complained to Smyslov Fan about what I consider to be excessive permissiveness. I mention this because it bears on this discussion. Smyslov Fan has been a monitor for a long time, and of a large part of this board. I am grateful to him for that. But in the theoretical parts of this board, I think a stronger hand is needed.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #44 - 08/17/13 at 22:40:55
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 08/17/13 at 21:49:11:

This would have been avoided by acting more appropriately re: sloughter as all did bar smyslov fan. But smyslov fan refused to note Tony K's comment and the comments of members. Precedent thus set for new members who be otherwise unaware of how the vast majority convivially and productively operate: chuck whole games up. Downward spiral.
Personally, for the first time since joining, I am now really wondering whether this is worth it....

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #43 - 08/17/13 at 21:49:11
Post Tools

IP Logged

Hadron

Doctor, Doctor, Doctor..When
will you ever learn?

Reply #42 - 08/14/13 at 22:50:00
Post Tools
Any further discussion on this is moot. People wanted an executive management decision and they got one so what is the point of dragging this discussion out any further?
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/25/13 at 08:33:02:
I'm happy if Moderators delete all empty posts that only contain bare moves.

The operative word here is if which suggests that he is happy to leave it up to the discretion of each moderator.
Yet people are still baying for blood like old crones at an old fashion public execution.
We have the management decision, this thread is now pointless and should be locked.
Thank you
Hadron.

I'm reminded again of something Short wrote recently, approximately "The biggest fallacy in chess is the quasi-religious belief in the primacy of the opening."

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #41 - 08/14/13 at 21:51:44
Post Tools
Then the issue is not what moderators should censor, but who.

That is not the job of the moderator. That is entirely up to Tony.

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #40 - 08/14/13 at 21:45:16
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 08/14/13 at 21:22:24:
That first post was made some time ago  in a thread that Tony himself moderated. It was made by one of our regular respected contributors.

Do we really want to go down the road where moderators censor not only to keep the site clear of obscenities, personal attacks and ads, but also for the quality of the posts?

the difference is that when there is a non-constructive post by some 'normal' forum member, you can ask for clarification, you will get a sensible answer, and: problem solved, nothing to worry
for example: the problem with the first post you mention is that it's unreadable, there may be quality analysis in it (although some extra may be welcome, but they can be asked for and normally you will get a sensible answer), but it's not readable, when you tidy it up, a sensible discussion can start, like I did in the following Classical Sicilian topic: http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1307886841 (compare replies 26 and 31)
anyway, my point is that sloughter is complete immune to any kind of sensible discussion and keeps spamming over and over and over again

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #39 - 08/14/13 at 21:22:24
Post Tools
That first post was made some time ago  in a thread that Tony himself moderated. It was made by one of our regular respected contributors.

Do we really want to go down the road where moderators censor not only to keep the site clear of obscenities, personal attacks and ads, but also for the quality of the posts?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 08/14/13 at 16:46:36
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 08/14/13 at 15:57:56:
He refuses to pay attention to the current state of theory or practice and, judging from his posts, lives instead wholly in the little space between him and his computer.  That's fine for him if he likes it, but it isn't a good basis for posting on this forum, which is fairly expert.

Not only that, but as he himself posted, the computer is not playing optimally... In other words, there is no value for us, unfortunately.

But I agree that the other posts are not that helpful either.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #37 - 08/14/13 at 16:08:56
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 08/10/13 at 17:11:03:
I often delete the threads a few days after locking it. I had planned to delete that thread after this weekend.

I explain my actions for the interested reader.

Unless there is a dire need to clear out old threads, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the way I chose to handle this, and I see certain benefits. I believe in transparency.

I am also aware that this site has fewer players commenting than it used to have. We need to be as welcoming as possible to new players. If we appear to be draconian in what we allow, that may stymie further discourse.

And yes, I do aggressively delete posts that clearly break site rules. The management team can see how many threads I delete.

the butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart!

transparency is not compromised if you make it clear why the threads are being deleted

at this point an actual ban of posting (temporary perhaps) is called for and it can be done with transparency (which has never been a synonym for the word tolerance)

smyslov fan, i respect and admire your tolerance in general but in cases such as this its is best to do things quickly and cleanly and prevent a prolongation of the agony for all parties

Smiley

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #36 - 08/14/13 at 15:57:56
Post Tools
Smyslov Fan, both those posts should have been deleted.  Sloughter has annoyed some people and thus generated some personal animus toward him.  But there is a rational, non-ad-hominem case against his manner of posting, which you persist in ignoring.

There is merit in posting a few terse variations if they are accompanied by some words to indicate how they relate to current theory.  In sloughter's posts, not only is this absent, but the variations themselves are at best non-critical and at worst, mistakes.  He refuses to pay attention to the current state of theory or practice and, judging from his posts, lives instead wholly in the little space between him and his computer.  That's fine for him if he likes it, but it isn't a good basis for posting on this forum, which is fairly expert.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo