Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Random lines of solitaire chess (Read 31645 times)
Hadron

Doctor, Doctor, Doctor..When
will you ever learn?

Re: Random lines of solitaire chess
Reply #20 - 07/25/13 at 00:29:21
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 07/23/13 at 23:36:22:
But Hadron, I have not noticed even once your contribution to any of the threads initiated in this way by sloughter.

Really? Just what do you not understand about:
Bibs wrote on 07/22/13 at 08:50:58:
Agree.
Utter rubbish.
Had to lock, lock, delete.

And:
proustiskeen wrote on 07/22/13 at 13:17:30:
I'm summarily deleting any such posts in the forums for which I have admin powers.

Cannot comment on what is not there and besides I am not in the habit in commenting on openings I have no knowledge of or experience in .

From your sudden interest in this subject, is it fair to assume that the next time sloughter posts in this way and some moderator tolerates it, you will leap in with some worthy response?

Is this topic sudden? I had not noticed, I have not been a moderator for long. As to your question, I thought it answers itself. As I have stated and presently believe, until Grandmaster Kosten tells us all otherwise, that the members should be sole the judge of the chess value of a post I do not envisage me leaping anywhere should one of my esteemed colleagues decide to allow the membership time to do as such with one of Sloughter’s posts.

Thank you
Hadron.

I'm reminded again of something Short wrote recently, approximately "The biggest fallacy in chess is the quasi-religious belief in the primacy of the opening."

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #19 - 07/24/13 at 16:14:43
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/23/13 at 14:42:14:
There is absolutely no harm being done with his uncommented games.

If these posts always appeared tenth in order, I would agree.  But here you have someone posting multiple of these random games into several sections of the board, and these appear right at the top.  To get around them, you first have to click and see how useless they are.  You then have to go back and click the forum topic to get a list of recent posts more likely to be interesting.  So it does waste significant time.

The moderator's default should be that a chess-related post is to be encouraged.

I fully agree, if you mean related to chess opening theory and not merely chess related.  But even then, special cases arise.

If a thread is locked as punishment for past writings, it gives the appearance that the mods here have declared war on that member. Such an impression only hurts the site.

Again I agree.  But this sets up a straw man who wants to lock sloughter's posts because of his bad history here, and that wasn't the basis of my original post.  Nor do I think it is the actual basis of the particular threads in question being locked. 

The presence of this straw man doesn't change that posting multiple, utterly uncommented scores of solitaire chess games is not only unconstructive, but impedes the intended use of the forum.  You could say it is chess-related, but does not really concern or encourage the discussion of chess theory, which is what the parts of the forum where sloughter posts are supposed to be about.

I didn't say, by the way, that I wanted sloughter banned, or his threads to be locked or deleted.  I merely said that what was going on was too much, and that sloughter himself should change his behavior.  But, just possibly, a moderator's cautioning sloughter would have been a more useful response than his standing here declaiming everyone's right to post however they like, if only it involves chess. 

« Last Edit: 07/24/13 at 17:40:57 by Markovich »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #18 - 07/24/13 at 06:51:29
Post Tools
But Hadron, I have not noticed even once your contribution to any of the threads initiated in this way by sloughter.  From your sudden interest in this subject, is it fair to assume that the next time sloughter posts in this way and some moderator tolerates it, you will leap in with some worthy response?

Well?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Hadron

will you ever learn?

Reply #17 - 07/24/13 at 05:23:07
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 07/24/13 at 05:10:46:
Chess related possibly. A string of moves, one fella against his PC. In multiple threads.
But not chess theory related. See previous post.
Suggest Tony K may like to step in with some sense hereabouts.

Agreed. It is best that Grandmaster Kosten informs us how to proceed policy wise.

I'm reminded again of something Short wrote recently, approximately "The biggest fallacy in chess is the quasi-religious belief in the primacy of the opening."

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #16 - 07/24/13 at 05:10:46
Post Tools
Chess related possibly. A string of moves, one fella against his PC. In multiple threads.
But not chess theory related. See previous post.
Suggest Tony K may like to step in with some sense hereabouts. Just sent PM to Tony K, sure he will have some sense to share here soon.

IP Logged

Hadron

will you ever learn?

Reply #15 - 07/24/13 at 03:43:13
Post Tools
Oh my…
Such superior and seemingly judicious words are almost worthy of an archbishop.  But pointless posts do not disappear from the tops of threads merely because they are pointless, no matter how much we stroke our chins.

I don’t known about stoking ones chin but if a thread is deemed pointless by the membership then said membership would not ideally add to that discussion and if people do not add to the discussion of that thread then does it not drop down the list for that particular forum and out of view to die a nature death as Sysmlov_Fan as indicated?

When I spoke, thanks to sloughter, no fewer than four of the theoretical forum sections were headed by random, uncommented-upon chess games of his.  Does this serve the purposes of this forum?

I couldn’t really tell you if what Sloughter did serves the purpose of this forum, they were summarily closed. You need to check the above, if people really had anything to say on their particular opening subject then they would have and Sloughter’s post would not have stayed as headers to the specific theoretical forum sections you alluded to. 

I would have thought that such great concern for "the members (some of them who at one stage have paid a fee)" would have included the notion that they should not have to bother with such nonsense.

But who are the moderators to tell the membership that they cannot see something or anything because it they have deemed it subjectively to be nonsense? What about:
The job of the moderator is not to determine the value of a post, but to make sure the site rules are followed. An uncommented game is not obscene, is not advertising another site, and is chess related.

..do you not understand? And if you don’t understand it, should you not take it up with either the original poster or as some other moderators like to say, with Grandmaster Kosten himself?

Hadron

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #14 - 07/24/13 at 00:59:32
Post Tools
See top right. Look people, look.
"Discussion forum for chesspublishing.com, the opening theory site"

How to approach this, how to 'discuss'?

Suggest:

1) Provide context. What is the state of play now? Which lines are you referring to? In which texts? Which games? Perhaps you can provide a diagram to help.
2) What ideas do you have in relation to the existing theory?
3) Open for discussion. With a question or two.

sloughter/Moody does none of the above. If does, very welcome. If not, just a bare game with no theoretical context, no discussion, doesn't accord with site aims (chess theory discussion), then removal.

Impression I have from posts in the differing threads is that multiple people are unhappy with the sloughter carpet-bombing cut/paste approach. Have a look.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #13 - 07/23/13 at 23:36:22
Post Tools
Such superior and seemingly judicious words are almost worthy of an archbishop.  But pointless posts do not dissappear from the tops of threads merely because they are pointless, no matter how much we stroke our chins.  When I spoke, thanks to sloughter, no fewer that four of the theoretical forum sections were headed by random, uncommented-upon chess games of his.  Does this serve the purposes of this forum?

I would have thought that such great concern for "the members (some of them who at one stage have paid a fee)" would have included the notion that they should not have to bother with such nonsense.

But Hadron, I have not noticed even once your contribution to any of the threads initiated in this way by sloughter.  From your sudden interest in this subject, is it fair to assume that the next time sloughter posts in this way and some moderator tolerates it, you will leap in with some worthy response?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Hadron

will you ever learn?

Reply #12 - 07/23/13 at 22:38:04
Post Tools
There is absolutely no harm being done with his uncommented games. If there is some value found in his games by others, then fine. If not, the thread will die on its own.
The job of the moderator is not to determine the value of a post, but to make sure the site rules are followed. An uncommented game is not obscene, is not advertising another site, and is chess related.
The moderator's default should be that a chess-related post is to be encouraged.

Exactly. An excellent post and a perfect explanation of the difference between objective and subjective moderation (although, subjective moderation is a contradiction in terms). It should always be about the members. The members (some of them who at one stage have paid a fee) should be allowed the right to judge for themselves the ‘chess value’ of Sloughter’s post and if the membership choose to ignore them then as Symslov_Fans continues to ascertain, they will disappear on their own.
Hadron

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #11 - 07/23/13 at 14:42:14
Post Tools
Bibs' comment hits the crux of the matter. Sloughter's posts are being deleted because of his previous writings. There is absolutely no harm being done with his uncommented games. If there is some value found in his games by others, then fine. If not, the thread will die on its own.

The moderator's default should be that a chess-related post is to be encouraged. If a thread is locked as punishment for past writings, it gives the appearance that the mods here have declared war on that member. Such an impression only hurts the site.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 07/23/13 at 10:17:20
Post Tools
I fully agre with Bibs. Just waste of everybody's time. I am not interested in uncommented games against a computer. Period.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #9 - 07/23/13 at 08:46:25
Post Tools
If sloughter/Richard Moody posts analysis of a specific line with comments and asks questions, all can agree that is fine, I think. Very welcome. Let's discuss ideas.

Just posting a bare game score? Versus a computer. No comments.  'So what?' is a valid response. If he wishes to discuss, then talk. Not just cut, paste, bang, ooh look at me and my game. That has very little value. Can he not even be bothered to comment, to note what he wishes people to discuss? Simply lazy egotism.

Regarding value of his analysis, I struggle to get past this:
http://correspondencechess.com/moody.html

Perhaps others may wish to comment...?

IP Logged

Hadron

will you ever learn?

Reply #8 - 07/23/13 at 03:03:06
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 07/23/13 at 02:02:32:
You assume there is any value.  There is not.

I try largely to never assume anything which is why I said “…(even if it is very little at all)…which does suggest I am not sure what they are worth.
What you have said though does raise an interesting couple of points though. Seen you are saying there is no value in what sloughter has presented, can it be reasonably assumed you reviewed what sloughter posted to come your opinion? If you did, I would suggest that by doing so and not adding to any of sloughter’s posts your actions rather support Symslov_Fan’s supposition that sloughters posts can be largely left to die a natural death on their own. And them again if you did not review sloughters post then how do you know what they are worth?
This then begs the question, do sloughter’s posts have any worth at all? That I guess is a matter for subjective opinion but I agree with Smylov_Fans when he said :
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/22/13 at 09:12:21:

For me, the value of his solitaire chess games is brought out in the responses from others. If there are no responses, the thread will die of its own. There's not much need to moderate.

And if one is going to summarily delete them then you are never going to have any responses. It should not be about whether you, I or any other moderators believe if his posts have tangible worth, that should be up to the members to get what they can out of them and then move on. If there is nothing to be gained they will, as Smylov_Fan said, die naturally and can be safely locked.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #7 - 07/23/13 at 02:02:32
Post Tools
You assume there is any value.  There is not.

IP Logged

Hadron

will you ever learn?

Reply #6 - 07/22/13 at 21:58:10
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/22/13 at 09:12:21:
There are occasional gems in sloughter's games, but he does not bother to highlight them.

For me, the value of his solitaire chess games is brought out in the responses from others. If there are no responses, the thread will die of its own. There's not much need to moderate.

Having said that, there was a solitaire chess game he posted in the French section that even he admitted had no value, so I locked that thread.

I am only new to this moderator lark (here that is. Different boards have different rules) but to me this seems a more reasoned and sensible approach. If sloughters threads die the death on their own, that's dandy. I just can not see how you are going to get any value out of them (even if it is very little at all) by summarily closing them down so quickly. In the bigger picture of things, how does doing as such promote encouragement amongst other members to post?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo