Latest Updates:
Normal Topic E20 Nimzo Indian game with a theoretical value (Read 2805 times)
katar

look another year went
by

Re: E20 Nimzo Indian game with a theoretical value
Reply #1 - 08/04/13 at 07:32:56
Post Tools

2078 uscf
IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

E20 Nimzo Indian game with a theoretical value
08/03/13 at 16:52:20
Post Tools
Source: http://chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4010664/british-championships-two-gm-...

I want to present a very good E20 game played by our Tony at 100th ch-GBR 2013. It attracted my attention because it finished in 21 moves with  a win for black against a very strong opponent.
I allowed to myself to put some notes on it, though I didn't use my engines to make a full computer analysis. In fact, I don't think it is needed, because it is a human game though played at very high level.
Anyway, what made me to be interested in this game was the opening. I play this Nimzo with black, which happened to emerge here by transposition from a variation of Catalan that I play with black, too. So, this game was very instructive for me.
My marks are very exaggerated, I admit, but I put them on their places to show my own opinion, though I don't pretend it is the whole and undisputable truth. Besides, if powerful engines enter into the matter, the truth can be different, but I already said it was a human game and we humans cannot rely on engines only..
5.Nc3?! transposes to a Nimzo variation which is not considered to be the best setup here, hence my mark.
5...dxc4! - the only way to fight for more than pure equality, imho.
6...Nc6! - in connection with 5...dxc4 - this is the way to go.
7.a3!? - another setup, another story. White asks Black what's the black bishop's task - to withdraw on a5 (e7) or to 'sacrifice' itself for thw white knight. I referenced this move with a correspondence chess game which happened to be played by transposition. Of course, I could bring Carlsen-Topalov 2007 here as a reference, but Topalov played 7...Be7 here and I think 7...Bxc3! is the right plan. Well, how dare I!  Embarrassed
8.a3!? - another chance for the other setup..
9.a3!? - the last one. And here I shall say that I prefer the a3-plan which is safer for white, imho. Hats down to Danny, who obviously tried to play very aggressively this day!
13.Qh5 - the novelty here. The fatal 13-th move! That's why I marked it with an ?!-mark  Grin. Otherwise, I admit, it's very aggressive. Once more, hats down for Danny! The setup he chose, the aggression - all speaks he fought for a win this day. Besides, 13.Qg4 is better, imho. It was played once by T.Koch (2345), but I think Black didn't react properly.
14.Bxh6?! - overload aggression. 14.Rd1 seems a bit slower though it can transpose. Anyway, the rule says if you are going to attack then do it, don't stay still!
18.Nd6? - the losing move, though 18.Nf6 leads to a black advantage also.
And then came the good defensive moves from Black.. I admit I couldn't stop the white attack. The 17-th, 18-th and 20-th black moves are too much for my part.  Roll Eyes
This game convinces me once more that if I want to play this variation with black I'd have to play very good defensive moves all the way after 9.e4.  Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo