Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) KIA move by move (Read 9716 times)
JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Re: KIA move by move
Reply #10 - 06/22/14 at 17:36:23
Post Tools

I'm now working my way though this. Will take a while. The Move By Move series have become my bathroom books. That's not meant to denigrate them, it's just that they are so wonderfully wordy I can read and absorb them without a chess set and thus can work through them steadily a bit at a time  Smiley.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 06/19/14 at 03:11:59
Post Tools
The book is out now. I've got the sample on my Kindle, so I can't take a look at it at work.

IP Logged

Lanark

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 06/18/14 at 17:10:29
Post Tools
I was very interested in McDonald's suggestions against the Dutch. He recommends the fashionable 1.Nf3 f5 2.d3.
It would have been great to see some new ideas here, but Moskalenko's 2...d5 and 2...Nc6 (more or less the critical variation lately) are not even mentioned.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #7 - 09/04/13 at 12:51:48
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 09/04/13 at 09:10:37:
I like Neil's Ruy Lopez move by move, and I have to confess to being a bit of a KIA junkie (I've got every book and DVD that I know of on it), and so I've been waiting for this book for months, but the publishing date keeps getting pushed.

I'm not expecting new theory (although coverage of the relatively new ideas in 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. g3 would be nice), but a presentation of the material in a Move by Move format.

I'm also hoping for 1. Nf3 and 1. e4 move orders to be covered (I use both).

I concur with the books Bibs has mentioned. Both were my take to tournament books until I got my material electronified. Emms especially, as he's not biased to White as some material is, trying to present the KIA as an opening panacea. It isn't.

I also have a fondness for Larry Evan's "The Chess Opening for You" as it introduced me to the opening and I've read it numerous times.

Right, better get back on topic - have you had a hand grenade, which is a draft cider topped up with a bottled one (Diamond White)? So called because it makes your head feel like one went off inside of it.

Diamond White?! My goodness, that took me rushing right back to twenty years ago. A dear friend's drink. Ah, memories. Thank you!!
Not tried that to be honest, but if I ever end up studying or working at a British uni again, I will try that!

To digress from the drinking, just for a moment. 2. Nf3 e6 3. g3 yes. 2. Nf3 d6 3. g3 no, as black soon just clumps the e-pawn down a straight two. And says 'I am equal'.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 09/04/13 at 10:30:00
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 09/04/13 at 09:10:37:
(although coverage of the relatively new ideas in 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. g3 would be nice)

I've been wondering about the playability of 1. e4 c5 2.Nf3 (almost any) 3. g3. I suspect it might be a bit better than 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 (any) 3. d3. It's going to depend on what positions you want to reach, their assessment and the usefulness of having d2-d4 available without loss of tempo.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #5 - 09/04/13 at 09:10:37
Post Tools
I like Neil's Ruy Lopez move by move, and I have to confess to being a bit of a KIA junkie (I've got every book and DVD that I know of on it), and so I've been waiting for this book for months, but the publishing date keeps getting pushed.

I'm not expecting new theory (although coverage of the relatively new ideas in 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. g3 would be nice), but a presentation of the material in a Move by Move format.

I'm also hoping for 1. Nf3 and 1. e4 move orders to be covered (I use both).

I concur with the books Bibs has mentioned. Both were my take to tournament books until I got my material electronified. Emms especially, as he's not biased to White as some material is, trying to present the KIA as an opening panacea. It isn't.

I also have a fondness for Larry Evan's "The Chess Opening for You" as it introduced me to the opening and I've read it numerous times.

Right, better get back on topic - have you had a hand grenade, which is a draft cider topped up with a bottled one (Diamond White)? So called because it makes your head feel like one went off inside of it.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #4 - 09/04/13 at 06:16:36
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 09/03/13 at 20:42:46:
Markovich wrote on 09/03/13 at 20:19:17:
Bibs wrote on 09/01/13 at 12:27:44:
'Snakebite' - reminds me of my first year at university....

What, was that a brand of whiskey?

It's half a pint of cider and half a pint of lager mixed together in a pint glass. Because it's a way of getting very drunk quickly and relatively cheaply, it's always been popular with students, and unpopular with pub landlords for pretty much the same reason. Actually, a lot of pubs refuse to serve snakebites, probably because the only reason anyone would order one would be to get totally leathered as quickly as possible. Not that this has much to do with the King's Indian Attack, of course, and I apologise for dragging this thread off-topic.

See also 'snakebite and black'. With added blackcurrant.
Yes, it was reputed to be a speedy route to oblivion, but I didn't find it to differ too much to the standard lager.

KIA - also Dunnington's old book is a very good one.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #3 - 09/03/13 at 20:42:46
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 09/03/13 at 20:19:17:

It's half a pint of cider and half a pint of lager mixed together in a pint glass. Because it's a way of getting very drunk quickly and relatively cheaply, it's always been popular with students, and unpopular with pub landlords for pretty much the same reason. Actually, a lot of pubs refuse to serve snakebites, probably because the only reason anyone would order one would be to get totally leathered as quickly as possible. Not that this has much to do with the King's Indian Attack, of course, and I apologise for dragging this thread off-topic.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 09/03/13 at 20:19:17
Post Tools

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/01/13 at 12:27:44
Post Tools
snakebite wrote on 09/01/13 at 10:07:19:
Does anyone know much about this book?  I'm keen to know if it just deals with KIA versus the Sicilian, French, Caro-Kann, Pirc and Modern (e.g. opening with 1 e4) or does it also cover the lines starting off with 1 Nf3 d5  2 g3 as Kramnik has played recently?

Well, it is not published yet. But Neil McD a reliable author. Or you could just buy Emms' Starting Out book. Nothing changes really, same same. It is ideas.

IP Logged

snakebite

I Love ChessPublishing!

KIA move by move
09/01/13 at 10:07:19
Post Tools
Does anyone know much about this book?  I'm keen to know if it just deals with KIA versus the Sicilian, French, Caro-Kann, Pirc and Modern (e.g. opening with 1 e4) or does it also cover the lines starting off with 1 Nf3 d5  2 g3 as Kramnik has played recently?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo