Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tarrasch defence: MBM (Read 14161 times)
Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Tarrasch defence: MBM
Reply #10 - 03/18/14 at 08:27:34
Post Tools
So, did anyone have a look at this book yet?

I lately considered taking up the Tarrasch. I've been playing the QGD Tartakower all my chess life. After improving a bit I think it would be a good idea to finally figure out how to play IQP position which I avoid in all openings so far. Also I suspect that the Tarrasch would give more winning chances against my usual opposition than the rather dry Tartakower like positions I get (usually white doesn't know that much theory that I can equalize by exchange minor pieces). So I would like to familiarize myself with some IQP position and wonder if this book might be good starting point? I liked the MBM book on the ruy lopez by McDonald and thought it was also helpful concerning middle game plan (and some endgame hints as well), which is exactly what I'm looking for. I guess dense theory comes later.
I searched for alternatives in different places (mainly the Grünfeld which I find fascinating) but that I would like to be able to stick to my preparation against d-pawn specials, the amount of theory in the grünfeld is just rediculous and the opening seems rather unforgiving to mistakes.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #9 - 01/30/14 at 14:33:26
Post Tools
The cbv / pgn are out.

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #8 - 11/25/13 at 14:29:59
Post Tools
On the Everyman site the book is neither in the published nor in the soon to be published box, I think this happens sometimes for a few days before publishing.

In other news, there's a bunch of pages in the "Look Inside!" section on amazon.co.uk as usual:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1781941424/

So there's a chapter with the Schara and the Swedish variation as well as one for the Reti and three different recommendations for the main line. Impressive if he really covers all that.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #7 - 10/25/13 at 13:57:41
Post Tools
Actually, in this case, I meant that Black was striving for a win at all costs. But you're all correct that normally, we talk of two results being white playing for a win or draw. I should have been more clear.

If I had a must-win situation as Black and had both the Benoni and the Tarrasch in my repertoire, I would almost certainly choose the Benoni.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #6 - 10/23/13 at 15:19:30
Post Tools
Yes, by "two results" he means that White is playing for a win or draw, and Black's chances of winning are virtually non-existent.  The intro to the book seems to be saying that, despite this reputation as a two results opening, the Tarrasch is OK because Black can hold the draw. 

I wonder about this in a move-by-move book.  Holding the draw is a fine outcome for professionals in need of a half-point as Black, but amateurs looking for an every day defense should be playing something more red-blooded.  I just can't imagine anyone taking up the Tarrasch as their main d4 defense because they're dying to hold that Gelfand-Grischuk ending. 

Just saying.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #5 - 10/23/13 at 12:41:23
Post Tools
Agree. Which two results are we talking about in the Benoni? Win and lose? I though that to use that term you had to be speaking of winning and drawing, with losing no longer likely.

Anyway, even at the highest levels one side can win even in those openings with the most drawish reputations. Looking at world championship matches alone, Alekhine beat Capablanca in the Exchange French, Botvinnik beat Tal in the Exchange Slav when Tal was trying to draw, Lasker beat Capablanca in the Exchange Lopez when Capablanca had only to draw,  and Anand beat Topalov when Topalov over-pressed in the Lasker QGD, even though Black in that opening "is hardly in danger of earning the full point," as Karpov sarcastically remarks.

Statistical outcomes really do vary in this respect, and it can be frustrating to draw with a weaker player where the position is difficult to unbalance. Surely the Pirc allows White more solid options than the Triangle System, so I agree with Eric.  But statistics are only determinative over large groups of games. "Playing for two results" in a single game against an equal opponent requires monumental technique and is very far from being a sure thing.

The excerpt looks really good!

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 10/23/13 at 08:24:41
Post Tools
Very true. Strictly of course black plays for three results Wink Its only really white who ever gets to try and play for two.
(Although I guess some black openings could be considered as giving up on winning the game.).

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #3 - 10/22/13 at 20:50:39
Post Tools
Try that strategy in the King's Indian or the Benoni, or even the Grunfeld. See how you do against an equal opponent. There are plenty of openings where Black plays for two results and if White isn't up to the fight, white will lose.

I agree that the Tarrasch isn't one of those do-or-die openings. It's not necessarily a negative, it's just a feature of the opening that Black is playing a bit more safely. Even if one side loses the IQP, it's often not the end of the world. There's quite a large draw margin in the Tarrasch. But it still rewards the Black player who wants to develop his pieces and get on with a game where either side can still win.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #2 - 10/21/13 at 20:17:00
Post Tools
tony37 wrote on 10/21/13 at 12:38:40:
"On one analysis, White drawing if he plays badly and generally winning if he is a stronger player, is something which happens in every opening."
I don't think I agree with this

Well, "drawing if he plays badly" is a bit strong.  But "drawing without having to play particularly creatively/exceptionally" or "without having to make any unconventional decisions" is not far off the mark among fairly equally matched GMs. 

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 10/21/13 at 12:38:40
Post Tools
"On one analysis, White drawing if he plays badly and generally winning if he is a stronger player, is something which happens in every opening."
I don't think I agree with this

IP Logged

gwnn

Tarrasch defence: MBM
10/21/13 at 12:05:08
Post Tools
http://www.everymanchess.com/extract/Tarrasch%20MBM%20extract.pdf
The excerpt seems nice! It will probably give little improvement on the GM Repertoire book but it should give some support for non-GM's who want to play this opening. It also covers all three of 9 .. cxd4, c4 and Be6, could be fun to change between the three moves for variety. And Sam Collins is clearly a good writer, probably even better in the MBM format.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo