Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fritz 14 is out now. (Read 31434 times)
proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Re: Fritz 14 is out now.
Reply #30 - 06/27/15 at 01:18:45
Post Tools
Glad you liked my Komodo review!

brabo wrote on 06/26/15 at 11:37:45:
I just published a new article about interfaces on my blog: http://chess-brabo.blogspot.be/2015/06/interfaces.html

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #29 - 06/26/15 at 15:35:31
Post Tools
fling wrote on 06/26/15 at 15:08:55:
Interesting read. Never thought about that. Why are the engines running that much better with a different interface?

Personally I was also very surprised. I thought that the engine takes care of the multithreading and just sends the output to the interface but that is not the complete picture. Also the interface must support the multithreading otherwise you fall back on just 1 core despite the capabilities of the engine.

I also noticed that only 3 of my 4 cores are standard assigned to the engine which I like as the remaining core is often useful for other tasks not related to chess.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 06/26/15 at 15:08:55
Post Tools
Interesting read. Never thought about that. Why are the engines running that much better with a different interface?

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #27 - 06/26/15 at 11:37:45
Post Tools
I just published a new article about interfaces on my blog: http://chess-brabo.blogspot.be/2015/06/interfaces.html

IP Logged

erasmus_b_dragon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #26 - 02/19/14 at 20:36:52
Post Tools
lnn2 wrote on 12/22/13 at 08:19:14:
The only drawback with Fritz 14 interface is that it is still not perfectly optimised for touchscreens (which is found in 99% of new PCs these days).

I wonder if Fritz 14 would solve my Fritz 11 problems. See following.

I use Houdini 64 with 8G of cache on Win 7/8, but I don't use it with Fritz 11 (I use the free GUI SCID) because:

1. You can install a UCI engine like Houdini, Stockfish, etc. (See Engine tab in main menu) but setting the amount of cache the engine uses is at best buggy, at worst does not work. On windows 7, if I set Houdini's cache to 4096 megs, it works for a while, but then I noticed (using windows Task Manager) the cache gets smaller and smaller until it is a very small cache. If I try to set the cache to 8192 megs, Fritz 11 changes the number to 4096, and then you go back to the previous problem. (I don't think the problem is Windows because the SCID GUI does not have this bug.)

2. I like to use infinite analysis, and pause the engine when I want to enter moves manually (or when my AMD machine gets too hot!). Every time you load a new game or position, Fritz resets the analysis setting for you. If I had analysis paused on a previous game, and then started a new game, Fritz reverts to default analysis settings. If I forget to turn the engine off after loading a new game, and enter a new move not existent in this game, Fritz does the following:

- Starts analyzing at a low setting, and adding moves in the new variation automatically

- Flips the board upside down.

I have not found a way to configure Fritz from doing this. When I turn off the engine, I want it to stay off until I turn it on. Is there a way to make "turn engine off" sticky between games?

Iter praemium est

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #25 - 01/22/14 at 15:34:19
Post Tools
Checked with ChessBase directly and one can use the database (the huge collection of games and annotations) with both CB 11/12 and also with Fritz.

The Playerbase (photos etc.) however can be used with CB11/12 only, not with Fritz.

So no problem with the Fritz & Megabase 2014 combo unless you really want the playerbase.

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #24 - 01/21/14 at 18:56:09
Post Tools
It seems ChessBase 12 is required to make use of the new edition of the playerbase in Megabase 2014.

http://chessbase-shop.com/en/products/mega_database_2014

Anyone tried using Fritz 14 GUI with Megabase 2014? 
I assume the old option is still available (?) as it under system requirement says "...ChessBase 11 or  12...".

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #23 - 01/13/14 at 14:57:56
Post Tools
Many thanks Brabo for your excellent blog posts. I am sure I am not the only one who has learnt much from your blog. Thanks to your recommendation I've now been using Fritz 14 GUI (Houdini 4) with my Windows 8 tablet for a month now. It perfectly does all that I want to do!

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #22 - 01/06/14 at 14:36:01
Post Tools
Just translated my latest article about annotations to English which is closely related to the topic here earlier discussed: http://chess-brabo.blogspot.be/2014/01/annotations.html

IP Logged

pinoychessman
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 12/25/13 at 07:36:04
Post Tools
GeneM wrote on 12/23/13 at 01:43:07:
The only drawback with Fritz 14 interface is that it is still not perfectly optimised for touchscreens (which is found in 99% of new PCs these days).

This is indeed the main need in Windows 8 and 8.1.

The folks at chessbase also need to start developing Fritz for Android.  I'm happy so far with Shredder on my Nexus 10 but to have Fritz or Houdini on my tablet would be great. 

Note that they do have a chessbase app for Android that allows you to view their online database. The ability to stream your personal chessbase databases onto your tablet would be very, very convenient.

IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Reply #20 - 12/23/13 at 01:43:07
Post Tools

This is indeed the main need in Windows 8 and 8.1.

The desktop applications need to have their menus and other controls at least slightly redesigned to better support manipulation by the fat human finger.

Msft Office now offers to spread out the ribbon controls to make it easier to avoid accidental touches of the wrong control. However this consumes limited screen real estate.

I dunno. Maybe I would like to see a special button that modifies the reaction to a finger touch - by creating a little window which overlays the touched area, and which acts as a magnifier of the few controls in the limited area around the touch. Then a second touch could more easily be made on just the intended control (in the magnified window) to achieve the real touch activation --- and immediately after the touch the temporary magnified area window goes away.

-- -- -- --

Looking back I think 98% of the reviews of Windows 8, when it first came out, were kinda dumb. They made a gigantic deal over the altered format of the Start Apps menu (from list to tiles). We use the Start Apps menu a few times per hour. Meanwhile we are using the GUI's of the desktop apps 20 times per minute --- yet the early reviews barely mentioned the desktop apps touchability.

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #19 - 12/22/13 at 11:19:21
Post Tools
I believe most of what Chessbase proposes, can also be done by free available alternatives. I just noticed that Chessbase is making advertising for their webpublishing feature: http://en.chessbase.com/post/web-publishing-with-chessbase-12-part-1-2.
I am using the KnightVision PGN Viewer Quick Publisher which is for free and doing a nice job: http://kvchess.com/publish.html
Posting diagrams can also be done via the Fritz Gui by just saving the position.
With a printscreen and afterwards adapting it via a fotoshopprogram you can prepare some nice pictures.
Using e.g. the free google blog creater permits you to prepare any document with pictures, hyperlinks, text,...

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #18 - 12/22/13 at 08:19:14
Post Tools
Many thanks Brabo. Just got Houdini 4 which perfectly suits my needs and coming from Chessbase previously, I don't seem to miss anything so far.

I suppose one needs Chessbase to do lots of advanced stuff (e.g. creating ebooks with hyperlinks) but for me the Fritz 14 interface which comes with Houdini 4 is good enough for all kinds of annotation and publishing.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #17 - 12/15/13 at 07:12:49
Post Tools
lnn2 wrote on 12/15/13 at 03:25:44:
We want to do some printing and publishing (for local club newsletter) - is Fritz capable of inserting diagrams for printing and Informant-like symbols?

Yes that is possible. Just have a look to my blog where I extensively use those options: http://schaken-brabo.blogspot.be/ (Dutch version)
http://chess-brabo.blogspot.be/ (English version)
lnn2 wrote on 12/15/13 at 03:25:44:
One difference I note is that Fritz contains an opening book: "A new opening book compiled by Alex Kure (over four million position)"

http://www.chessbase-shop.com/en/products/6631?ref=rf70-5oh0efn840

What is the significance of this opening book by Alex Kure? Apologies for the really basic question but I have never used a Fritz opening book before while using Chessbase.

I wrote a blogarticle about openingbooks, see http://chess-brabo.blogspot.be/2013/08/green-moves.html
Such openingbook is useful for engine matches and gamepreparation for the advanced player. For more info about alternatives, how to use,.... you should read the article.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #16 - 12/15/13 at 03:25:44
Post Tools
Many thanks to all of you for your answers.

I agree with Brabo that Chessbase is too expensive as it does not come with latest engine. We want to do some printing and publishing (for local club newsletter) - is Fritz capable of inserting diagrams for printing and Informant-like symbols?

Also I am thinking whether to get Houdini 4 or Fritz 14. CB says Houdini 4 "comes with the latest Deep Fritz 14 GUI and also offers the complete range of training features and analysis features included as standard in Deep Fritz 14."

http://www.chessbase-shop.com/en/products/6656?ref=rf70-5oh0efn840

I think this means everything is exactly the same between Fritz and Houdini except for the engine? One difference I note is that Fritz contains an opening book: "A new opening book compiled by Alex Kure (over four million position)"

http://www.chessbase-shop.com/en/products/6631?ref=rf70-5oh0efn840

What is the significance of this opening book by Alex Kure? Apologies for the really basic question but I have never used a Fritz opening book before while using Chessbase.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo