Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Will Anand retire now? (Read 9054 times)
Axl
YaBB Newbies

Re: Will Anand retire now?
Reply #19 - 02/28/14 at 11:30:09
Post Tools
If he's still enjoying it, why not keep playing? He's obviously still earning good money, and can mix in appearances and endorsements along with his tournament schedule.

Class doesn't disappear overnight. He could drop out of the top 10, but he'd still be getting regular invitations.

IP Logged

Bob
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 02/28/14 at 05:16:34
Post Tools
He should retire -- to give others a chance xd

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 01/05/14 at 19:15:55
Post Tools
I don't know. Is he really going to fancy a rematch against Carlsen? If not - and you couldn't blame him one bit! - then it'd be logical to skip the candidates. We'll see.

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 01/05/14 at 11:10:22
Post Tools
Retire - I doubt it - he could always emulate Karpov and just limit himself to Rapidplay.

I expect him to play the Candidates if he doesn't feel exhausted as he knows that this might be his last chance to qualify. That said, I do think Caruana and Nakamara would be worthy additions ( I know Caruana is the reserve) .

IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 01/04/14 at 00:01:51
Post Tools
It makes sense for him to give the next one a miss. Then he can put all effort into the next one and could make a big comeback and win, like how he reclaimed number 1 in the FIDE rankings from Carlsen for a while. He just has a make a rocky-style montage of himself doing tactical training, trying to understand moves, working with trainers etc. 

Personally I think every two years is a bit too soon. Bring back the old style gruelling marathon world championships and space it out over a number of years so people really care. 

"I don't recall saying good luck."

IP Logged

Harvey Williamson

Reply #14 - 01/02/14 at 15:43:28
Post Tools
Quote:
What do you think, will he retire, now that he is probably falling out of the top 10 of chess and won't win any tournaments?

No he will not retire. You are a brave man to predict a 5x world champion will not win any more tournaments.

Vish was on fine form when I had Dinner with him in London recently.

IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Reply #13 - 12/23/13 at 02:09:32
Post Tools
Anand tells a newspaper in India that "most likely" he will drop out of the upcoming March 2014 Candidates tournament.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/chess/Viswanathan-Anand-shows-cold-fee...

http : // timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/ chess/Viswanathan-Anand-shows-cold-feet-for-Candidates/ articleshow/27695157.cms

The article also says:
"In case the world No. 9 Anand (Elo 2773) opts out of the Candidates meet, his spot will go to 21-year-old Fabiana Caruana of Italy, the world No. 7 (Elo 2782)."

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 12/21/13 at 22:51:15
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 11/25/13 at 19:07:45:
Agree legacy is bollocks; there's nothing unlegacy about playing worse once you're older and spending more time playing with your children. No-one's saying Karpov losing to Bacrot is tarnishing his legacy (in fact Karpov is still amazingly strong, considering presumably he's not working at the game at all).

Agree, who would question Korchnoi's legacy for example. Who cares that the guy is "only" 2500 nowadays ...

IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 12/21/13 at 19:46:55
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 11/25/13 at 19:07:45:
Someone who knows Anand reasonably well told me he thought Anand would retire from top-level tournaments in the next year or two.

It depends whether you're still enjoying it, innit? Agree legacy is bollocks; there's nothing unlegacy about playing worse once you're older and spending more time playing with your children. No-one's saying Karpov losing to Bacrot is tarnishing his legacy (in fact Karpov is still amazingly strong, considering presumably he's not working at the game at all).

Agreed, I hate when people claim they want to go out on a high or on top: they're still generally getting worse later, people just can't see it. It's not like they're frozen in time at that level. Also I think of a legacy as a more cumulative thing.   

"I don't recall saying good luck."

IP Logged

chandrashekharkoravi

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 12/21/13 at 04:00:23
Post Tools
Please stop it !! We want Anand to play more...As a Indian there is no other player to take Anand's place...As no one replace the gem as Anand is...In recent interviews Anand has made an statement as he is not going to retire ...He still enjoys the game !!

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/12/13 at 20:17:32
Post Tools
Anand is playing interesting chess at the London chess classic

IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Reply #8 - 11/27/13 at 00:52:15
Post Tools
Legacy is no issue for Anand. He has had an exceptionally fantastic chess career, including the match WCChamp title unequivocally since 2008.
Kasparov failed to win a single game while losing the WCChamp title to Kramnik in 2000, but Kasparov is still considered by most to be the greatest player ever.

Carlsen can overtake Kasparov as the perceived greatest ever. But for it to happen, Carlsen must stay full-time on chess for another decade; plus a great challenger must emerge during Carlsen's reign for Carlsen to defeat.

At the elite level, even a great player like Anand cannot stay competitive playing only half-time. And at Anand's advancing age I have a hard time believing he has more than a year or two of motivation remaining.

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 11/25/13 at 19:07:45
Post Tools
Someone who knows Anand reasonably well told me he thought Anand would retire from top-level tournaments in the next year or two.

It depends whether you're still enjoying it, innit? Agree legacy is bollocks; there's nothing unlegacy about playing worse once you're older and spending more time playing with your children. No-one's saying Karpov losing to Bacrot is tarnishing his legacy (in fact Karpov is still amazingly strong, considering presumably he's not working at the game at all).

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #6 - 11/25/13 at 05:40:44
Post Tools
Bibs, this is a question being asked in chess journals. I see nothing wrong with bringing up the question here.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #5 - 11/24/13 at 12:54:40
Post Tools
Quote:
What do you think, will he retire, now that he is probably falling out of the top 10 of chess and won't win any tournaments?

Baffled by battleangel. Deliberately, invariably idiotic posts or just clickbait?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo