Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) B-f4 in queens gambit (Read 7402 times)
Flashman
YaBB Newbies

I want to know only the
true!

Re: B-f4 in queens gambit
Reply #10 - 05/08/15 at 07:27:23
Post Tools
Hi,
Someone bought this DVD?
Is it a complete repertoire against the QGD (with the Regozin and Vienna for example) or the starting position is 5.Bf4?
Thx for your answers!

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #9 - 04/30/15 at 21:08:24
Post Tools
Read the CB advert a bit quickly.  It is only possible to pre-order now. The product will appear on 5/6/2015

Anders wrote on 04/30/15 at 19:35:45:
There is a new ChessBase DVD on Bf4 (by Simon Williams) - released today I think.

http://shop.chessbase.com/en/products/williams_dynamic_weapon_vs_d4_qgd_with_5bf...

Mtal wrote on 12/04/13 at 21:06:20:
Hi all, any recommendations on books or videos to learn bf4 in the queens gam.bit? Also for those who played it what is your opinion on it? I am thinking of playing d4 again but wanted something different than my usual bg5 in the queens gambit Exchange. Thanks

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #8 - 04/30/15 at 19:35:45
Post Tools
There is a new ChessBase DVD on Bf4 (by Simon Williams) - released today I think.

http://shop.chessbase.com/en/products/williams_dynamic_weapon_vs_d4_qgd_with_5bf...

Mtal wrote on 12/04/13 at 21:06:20:
Hi all, any recommendations on books or videos to learn bf4 in the queens gam.bit? Also for those who played it what is your opinion on it? I am thinking of playing d4 again but wanted something different than my usual bg5 in the queens gambit Exchange. Thanks

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 04/17/15 at 10:09:50
Post Tools
Modestly interesting point of semantics here actually.

There really are a lot of lines out there nowadays (in all openings of course) which are a priori/in principle very critical indeed.

If they're also basically analysed out then do they still count as critical? Not sure myself. Maybe its principled?

IP Logged

Crapov

Reply #6 - 04/17/15 at 09:40:06
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 02/20/15 at 19:40:15:
5.Bf4 isn't as critical as 5.Bg5, but it also has far less analysis than Bg5. If you want to get away from some of the more heavily trodden lines, then Bf4 is a good alternative. I don't think White really gets an edge with Bf4, but there's still plenty of play for both sides. It's become fairly popular among GMs in recent years, but without any particular success.

I thought it was, on the contrary, more critical than the older main line with 5.Bg5. In the last few years it has become much more popular than 5.Bg5 among strong grandmasters and scores better as well.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 04/17/15 at 09:15:05
Post Tools
I play the QGD with Black and always liked facing 5. Bf4 but that's mostly because my opponents play this to avoid theory and are not very booked up themselves. In the hands of well-prepared white player it's a good weapon.
As a black player I prefer the plan of playing c5 rather quickly as mentioned by Pcal even though the variation has encountered some hard time theoretically. In a later game of the WC match Carlsen repeated the QGD and comfortably drew with this idea: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1778927
Not sure if anything of theoretical importance happened here since then though. There was some discussion about the issue in "general chess" section in the thread on the world championship match. You might want to check that out as well...

IP Logged

Pcal
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 02/26/15 at 21:07:07
Post Tools
Great analysis Smyslov_Fan!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #3 - 02/20/15 at 19:40:15
Post Tools
5.Bf4 isn't as critical as 5.Bg5, but it also has far less analysis than Bg5. If you want to get away from some of the more heavily trodden lines, then Bf4 is a good alternative. I don't think White really gets an edge with Bf4, but there's still plenty of play for both sides. It's become fairly popular among GMs in recent years, but without any particular success.

Well, except that Anand won games against Carlsen and Nakamura recently (and lost to Naka in a rapid rematch in the same variation).

Here's the Anand-Carlsen game, for those who've already forgotten it ( think the analysis was posted on Chessbase):

« Last Edit: 02/21/15 at 12:07:46 by GMTonyKosten » 
Reason: Trying to fix fen output. 

IP Logged

Pcal
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/20/15 at 15:30:42
Post Tools
Bf4 var isn't a bad essay for white quite popular these days. Although IMO doesn't present as many challenges to Black as the main lines do. Still a good line to play as white.  As Black (being a QGD exponent) I rely heavily on the Semi-Tarrasch structure. I would to find a book or some analysis totally dedicated to it.   

I use the following popular line against Bf4 (which is akin to the Semei-Tarrasch)

However Spassky's var with 6...Nbd7!? was played during the latest WC. I'm not a fan of allowing White to play c5, yet many top GM have played this line. The Champ was doing fine till the middle game. (check Chess life coverage of the game.. its a good one)

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 12/04/13 at 21:54:13
Post Tools
There is Graham Burgess's recent repertoire book, in which, according to ChessVibes reviewer Arne Moll, 5. Bf4 is "analyzed at length."

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

B-f4 in queens gambit
12/04/13 at 21:06:20
Post Tools

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo