Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Site redesign wish list! (Read 53117 times)
Rebel-Yell
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Site redesign wish list!
Reply #30 - 08/22/16 at 09:15:02
Post Tools
Didn't read others but I would like to have a bigger board. It is super small now. I would also like to leave comments on the game directly.

IP Logged

kevinludwig

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #29 - 07/17/16 at 04:33:13
Post Tools
Well...this thread has been around for a while, and, unclear if anything was ever done, but here's a few ideas:

1. Opening explorer similar to chess.com or chessgames.com. So that its easy to find all updates related to a specific position or opening variation. Generally this would be a huge upgrade for both desktop and mobile usage. I feel like there's been almost no attempt to satisfy the use case of a new user that hasn't been on the site following the updates for the last 10 years. It's really built around "I want to see the updates for this month (or last month)" vs. what I feel like is a way more common use case of "what are all the updates for this specific variation that I happen to be interested in right now."

2. Bigger forward/back buttons for mobile game playback. It's almost impossible to navigate on a phone.

3. Related to #1 (and not really needed if #1 is done) but the site search is almost worthless. It's pretty clear that it's just indexing the text of the update pages, which doesn't really surface anything interesting.

4. The PDF e-books should direct link to the games they reference. Otherwise I really have no idea how to find the game in the archives, especially since the site search doesn't really work.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #28 - 01/06/14 at 10:36:28
Post Tools
Michael wrote on 12/29/13 at 02:19:44:
Not sure my 5 cents will be of help but personally I am happy with the site as it is although not against a redesign. 

Thanks, everyone's opinion is helpful - they are all noted and we will try to implement most of them soon.

Michael wrote on 12/29/13 at 02:19:44:
Thanks for a great site, best wishes for 2014!

Thanks! We wish all members a successful 2014! Smiley

IP Logged

Michael
YaBB Newbies

Great investment - ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 12/29/13 at 02:19:44
Post Tools
Not sure my 5 cents will be of help but personally I am happy with the site as it is although not against a redesign.  As a relatively new subscriber my main purpose is to download the new games in pgn format so that I can then play through them on my very old MacBook using HCE (Hiarcs Chess Explorer)

I have just tried the site on my tablet (iPad) which was actually quite a good experience,  I found the web-page text to be a little too small but if I resized it then I had a problem viewing the replay board at the same time as the game text.  Also, it would be better if the replay board floated to the top of the page rather than the bottom, I tried to use landscape mode but then the board floated off-screen so that was a problem for me. 

In summary, the current site worked well on the iPad and the laptop whilst the game replay was also quite good if a little awkward.  Hopefully whatever you decide will still work on non-Windows devices once implemented.

Thanks for a great site, best wishes for 2014!

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #26 - 12/15/13 at 23:02:22
Post Tools
The arrows are much better, thanks.   Smiley.

I agree w Goran about the board and text being synchronized.  It would be better if the board could be fixed and the text would simply scroll next to it.  Some of the e-readers work that way.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #25 - 12/15/13 at 21:44:33
Post Tools
Göran wrote on 12/15/13 at 16:20:58:
I think it is working quite good on my iphone when the image is in landscape. Can play through the game and actually reading the text as well.

Good, thanks! Wink

Göran wrote on 12/15/13 at 16:57:48:
The problem with playing through the game is now that the board and the text is not syncronised so you have to scroll up and down a lot when playing through the game and reading the tsxt and variations.

I thought this only worked on MSIE anyway?

Göran wrote on 12/15/13 at 16:57:48:
The other problem with the iphone is the first text page of the update. The text has very little place and when expanding some of the text is hidden behind the left column.

Yes, I think this is really a big problem, and is the main reason I'm getting someone to redesign the site. Smiley

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #24 - 12/15/13 at 16:57:48
Post Tools
The problem with playing through the game is now that the board and the text is not syncronised so you have to scroll up and down a lot when playing through the game and reading the tsxt and variations.

The other problem with the iphone is the first text page of the update. The text has very little place and when expanding some of the text is hidden behind the left column.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

Göran

Reply #23 - 12/15/13 at 16:34:31
Post Tools
It is very good on the ipad.
Would it be possible to move the board a little bit to the left I think there would be a liitke bit broader place for the text as well. However I think it is working fine playing through the game.

IP Logged

Göran

Reply #22 - 12/15/13 at 16:20:58
Post Tools
When I have my reading glasses I think it is working quite good on my iphone when the image is in landscape. Can play through the game and actually reading the text as well.

Like it a lot an wonder if it really could be better on this small format.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #21 - 12/15/13 at 13:10:34
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/14/13 at 20:56:59:
I will try changing this myself tomorrow ... it shouldn't be beyond my basic computer skills! Maybe I could remove the 'go back/forward 5 moves' buttons as well

I'm just experimenting at the moment, but you can check out the Istratescu-Greenfeld game from this month's Antis update and tell me if you think this is an improvement, size-wise.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #20 - 12/14/13 at 21:17:23
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/14/13 at 20:56:59:
I could remove the 'go back/forward 5 moves' buttons as well - surely no-one ever uses these? Undecided

I certainly don't.  Wink

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #19 - 12/14/13 at 20:56:59
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 12/14/13 at 03:48:51:
1.  The navigation arrows under the board definitely need to be larger.

Actually they even look pretty small on my desktop! I'd never noticed before as I don't use them, and I suppose no-one else does on ordinary computers otherwise someone would have mentioned it before!
I will try changing this myself tomorrow ... it shouldn't be beyond my basic computer skills! Maybe I could remove the 'go back/forward 5 moves' buttons as well - surely no-one ever uses these? Undecided

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #18 - 12/14/13 at 20:20:23
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/14/13 at 11:13:25:

Do the forward and back arrows on the keyboard work on mobile devices (for playing through the moves on the JS popup games)?

There is no keyboard, at least not on my ipad or iphone. 

You get an "on screen" keyboard only when there's a field or box that requires you to input some text.  It could just be me, but I don't see a way to otherwise call up the keyboard.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #17 - 12/14/13 at 15:44:42
Post Tools
I usually download the monthly games and play them over in ChessBase. 

Me too. I have all the annotated games in one database, and when I look through the latest games I use ChessBase. That way I can consult the Chesspub Guides to see what it says about any line that interests me, then do a position search in the games database to see the previous annotations.
If I want to go further I can use the ChessBase reference function (I use MegaBase as the Reference database) and Houdini or Komodo to analyse - all very quick and powerful. No App can ever hope to match the functions of the top Chess Database programs.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 12/14/13 at 12:33:29
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/14/13 at 11:13:25:

Do the forward and back arrows on the keyboard work on mobile devices (for playing through the moves on the JS popup games)?

Yes, they work on my Samsung S4. But it is, as said before, very hard to navigate on a mobile device.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo