Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mikenas or 4 pawn attack? (Read 12682 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Mikenas or 4 pawn attack?
Reply #12 - 01/03/14 at 00:39:40
Post Tools
Mtal, it sounds like you'd be better served with a "Starting Out" type book until you know more of what you're looking for.  Or pick a hero and copy what they play, if you have a particular chess hero who plays 1.d4.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 01/03/14 at 00:08:50
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 12/30/13 at 18:07:54:
One thing is, the "Modern Main Line" isn't the only h3 Benoni.  Another one involves Bg5 in place of Nf3 (as in e.g. John Watson's White repertoire book).

What kind of game do you get with the B-g5 set up? Ahhhhhh another book I will have to check out. Thanks.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #10 - 12/30/13 at 18:07:54
Post Tools
One thing is, the "Modern Main Line" isn't the only h3 Benoni.  Another one involves Bg5 in place of Nf3 (as in e.g. John Watson's White repertoire book).

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/30/13 at 17:50:11
Post Tools
tp2205 wrote on 12/27/13 at 17:37:14:
Mtal wrote on 12/27/13 at 16:14:58:
Well is there anything out there on the h3 lines? Even though I am interested in the 4 pawns I am always open to other ideas. Thanks.

There is a whole book: "Dreev Vs. The Benoni"

Thanks, I will look into it. Quick question, in general what are the positions for white like with the h3 benoni's?

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 12/27/13 at 17:37:14
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 12/27/13 at 16:14:58:
Well is there anything out there on the h3 lines? Even though I am interested in the 4 pawns I am always open to other ideas. Thanks.

There is a whole book: "Dreev Vs. The Benoni"

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 12/27/13 at 16:14:58
Post Tools
RdC wrote on 12/27/13 at 01:16:32:
Engines don't rate the Flick-Knife (Bb5+ against the Benoni that highly). Systems with an early h3 appear to cause Benoni players a lot of pain without much risk.

Trying to blow the Kings Indian away with the Four Pawns works just as well as it ever did, in other words something of a gamble by White. Engines may have refuted, or at least demonstrated defences to some of the wilder ideas.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #6 - 12/27/13 at 11:51:11
Post Tools
Moskalenko had a chapter on the 4P KID - something with d5xe6 iirc.

It and other 4P books are discussed in this old thread:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1270968020

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 12/27/13 at 01:16:32
Post Tools
Engines don't rate the Flick-Knife (Bb5+ against the Benoni that highly). Systems with an early h3 appear to cause Benoni players a lot of pain without much risk.

Trying to blow the Kings Indian away with the Four Pawns works just as well as it ever did, in other words something of a gamble by White. Engines may have refuted, or at least demonstrated defences to some of the wilder ideas.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #4 - 12/26/13 at 19:13:50
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 12/26/13 at 19:08:20:
Thanks for the info. I did know about gmt rep 12. I will check it out. I was looking at kill the kid. I know he talks about be2. Is that a decent choice instead of bb5 check?

Decent?  Yes.  Beyond that, I don't know much.  But unless you find some flaws in Petrov's analysis in that excerpt (he shows his entire repertoire against the Mikenas), the Mikenas at least looks like something White wants to avoid, doesn't it?

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 12/26/13 at 19:11:15
Post Tools
Actually, Marian Petrov in his recommendation against the 4PA doesn´t deal with Semkov´s idea against 9...Bg4 in the main line in "Kill the KID". There is nothing about this omission in the QC Newsletter either as far as I know. But Vigorito in "Attacking Chess: The King´s Indian" has shown a decent solution if I remember correctly.

The 4PA is a valid choice but as a KID-player this has never bothered me. Of course in the Benoni Black also has to deal with the Flick-Knife-Attack. Petrov covers this extensively so even if you are looking at it from the white side this book might be worth buying. But be warned: This is a work for the very serious player.

EDIT: I believe the lines with Bb5+ produce more discomfort for Black than those with Be2 in the Benoni. Keep in mind that if you also want to play the 4PA against the KID you don´t have this choice.

The Mikenas is best to be avoided.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/26/13 at 19:08:20
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 12/26/13 at 18:14:56:
You're in luck, GM Rep 12 by Marian Petrov shows a great deal of Mikenas Attack analysis in the excerpt: http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/1/186/grandmaster_repertoire_12_-_the_mod....

I have no real opinion on the lines, except that I've always thought that the Mikenas was mostly tricks and would probably prefer the 4PA myself.  Probably "Kill the KID" is the most up-to-date book for the White side, but I haven't seen a copy, personally.

Thanks for the info. I did know about gmt rep 12. Wow I just looked at the link and it looks great. Is it worth buying the book from whites stand point for the flick knife attack? I was looking at kill the kid. I know he talks about be2. Is that a decent choice instead of bb5 check?

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #1 - 12/26/13 at 18:14:56
Post Tools
You're in luck, GM Rep 12 by Marian Petrov shows a great deal of Mikenas Attack analysis in the excerpt: http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/1/186/grandmaster_repertoire_12_-_the_mod....

I have no real opinion on the lines, except that I've always thought that the Mikenas was mostly tricks and would probably prefer the 4PA myself.  Probably "Kill the KID" is the most up-to-date book for the White side, but I haven't seen a copy, personally.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Mikenas or 4 pawn attack?
12/26/13 at 15:20:19
Post Tools
Hi all,

I was thinking of playing d4 again after years of not playing it. How is the Mikenas or 4 pawn attack these days? Any good books on it? I really like to brush up on it and learn some of the attacking ideas. Or should I learn something else? It seems like all the new rep books always recommend other lines vs the benoni. I did like the 4 pawns since I like complicated attacking positions. Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo