Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: In Slav which line do you prefer and why?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Classical Slav with 4... dxc4    
  37 (49.3%)
a6 Slav or Chebanenko    
  18 (24.0%)
Semi-Slav    
  20 (26.7%)

Total votes: 75
« Created by: rossia on: 12/27/13 at 18:01:16 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Grandmaster Repertoire 17 – The Classical Slav (Read 40379 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: Grandmaster Repertoire 17 – The Classical Slav
Reply #17 - 03/17/14 at 20:03:59
Post Tools
Gee, how could that old main line not be included?  I recall that it was considered += before 9...Rc8 was invented.  I also recall that one of the Kasparov Predecessor books thought that even after 9...Rc8 it might be possible for White to play for initiative, or some such wording.

IP Logged

TCH
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 03/17/14 at 19:45:59
Post Tools
Sweet. I've been wanting to see coverage of 6...Bf5 since I have seen a lot of ...a6 coverage in the exchange lately. But not covering 7.e3 e6 8.Bb5 Nd7 9.Qa6 is very strange. Bummer.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #15 - 03/17/14 at 08:22:32
Post Tools
Avrukh recommends 6...Bf5 against the Exchange (which I don't play). It seems the line 7.e3 e6 8.Bb5 Nd7 9.Qa4 is missing?! I think the Quality of the book is good (off course), but because most of his repertoire-choices differ from mine I can't give a well-informed opinion about the lines he choses.

IP Logged

TCH
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 03/17/14 at 07:49:17
Post Tools
I second Eric's request of a review.

I'm curious to see what he recommends against the exchange and how good the ...a6 sections are. I know Avrukh is an amazing author but I'd still enjoy reading a review.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #13 - 03/17/14 at 02:29:15
Post Tools
Anyone have the book, reviews, opinions, etc?

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #12 - 01/24/14 at 15:12:02
Post Tools
gwnn wrote on 01/24/14 at 15:10:06:
No he doesn't. From the intro:

Quote:
Also after 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 dxc4 5.a4 Bf5 6.Ne5 I have given two lines, though both start
with 6...Nbd7. My main choice is the famous Morozevich Variation with a later ...g5, which I
eventually realized is both aggressive and solid – a fine combination! The other line I recommend
is much less well known, and I will leave the details as a surprise for later.

The contents are a bit confusing, though, I grant that. He has apparently 12 pages on 11 .. f6 and then about 30+ pages on "Morozevich" which really should be about 11 .. g5 as noted in the introduction.

i am easily confused, no doubt   Smiley

interesting .... gm shaw suggests (on the QC blog) that they have an improvement in the f6 lines

http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/?p=2423#comment-42681

his quote with respect to 11. ... f6 being their repertoire move

"You are not mistaken about 11…f6, but the surprise move comes later. We were sneaky enough not to give it away in the excerpt."

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #11 - 01/24/14 at 15:10:06
Post Tools
No he doesn't. From the intro:

Quote:
Also after 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 dxc4 5.a4 Bf5 6.Ne5 I have given two lines, though both start
with 6...Nbd7. My main choice is the famous Morozevich Variation with a later ...g5, which I
eventually realized is both aggressive and solid – a fine combination! The other line I recommend
is much less well known, and I will leave the details as a surprise for later.

The contents are a bit confusing, though, I grant that. He has apparently 12 pages on 11 .. f6 and then about 30+ pages on "Morozevich" which really should be about 11 .. g5 as noted in the introduction.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #10 - 01/24/14 at 14:50:03
Post Tools
looks like he offers 11. ....f6 in the old classical line instead of 11. .... g5 so it will be interesting to see what he has to counter schandorff's line there which really gives white a strong (winning ?!) pull ... alos looks interesting he may have some good ideas in the newly minted glasgow kiss var.

looking forward to this book as classical slav has been my main d4 defense

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #9 - 01/24/14 at 09:58:12
Post Tools
If so, now I'm interested as this is the same as bologan in his Chebanenko DVD.

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 01/23/14 at 22:58:36
Post Tools
judging from the table of contents, I think he proposes 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e3 a6 (he also gives 4...Bf5) 5.Nf3 and now 5...Bf5, which leads me to think he also proposes 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.e3 Bf5 5.Nc3 a6, which is of course the same thing
interesting...

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #7 - 01/23/14 at 19:14:44
Post Tools
An excerpt of Avrukh's "The Classical Slav" can be found on http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/1/221/grandmaster_repertoire_17_-_the_cla...

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 01/20/14 at 17:16:04
Post Tools
I have to say the Classical Slav is distinctly unpopular in correspondence chess, you get truckloads of Semi-Slavs, an a6-Slav once in a while, but Classical Slavs are very rare, I guess because of no realistic prospects of getting counterchances with black, which doesn't necessarily tell much about the situation in OTB chess

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #5 - 01/09/14 at 14:06:21
Post Tools
The Chebanenko appeals to me, as it's strategically very flexible and Black doesn't give up the centre with dxc4 as often as in the others and thus it's easier to play.

Though, OTB I must confess that the Exchange variation is a bit of a kill-joy. It's simply no fun to just be playing for a draw. White's winning chances are hardly overwhelming - but they're still there...

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #4 - 01/09/14 at 12:31:12
Post Tools
I first tried the Slav of any description when following Kaufman's original Opening Advantage in Black and White. However, trying to get to grips with the huge range of positions from the semi-slav, Moscow and anti-Moscow I found daunting, as well as some QGD exchange positions. This led to interest in the Chebanenko from Andrew Martin's DVD and followed this with Bologan's. I've never tried the classical Slav. Might it suit it better ? I don't know but what I am convinced of is that at my level (1910 ELO) it's more important that I believe in the line I play. An essential part of belief is familiarity and feel. This is more possible with a manageable range of lines in a repertoire. It may be against conventional wisdom these days but I prefer to play the same lines to develop that feel. The Chebanenko I find certainly more manageable than the semi-Slav / Moscow / anti-Moscow. Do others believe the Chebanenko to cover less ground that the Classical Slav ?

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/04/14 at 12:53:59
Post Tools
I would second Chevy's description of the Classical Slav as a solid but active opening.  My own path to the classical actually started with the a6 Slav before moving to the classical.  I like the type of (mostly) interesting positions that result which test both players.  I'm quite happy with both the classical and a6 Slavs in my repertoire and feel that the classical slav gives me reasonable winning chances as Black.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo