Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: What was the Opening Book of the Year for 2013?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

The King's Gambit ~ Shaw    
  23 (32.4%)
The Open Spanish ~ Mikhalevski    
  6 (8.5%)
The Panov-Botvinnik Attack ~ D'Costa    
  0 (0.0%)
Kotronias on the King's Indian, V. 1: Fianch    
  4 (5.6%)
GM Repertoire 12: The Modern Benoni~ Petrov    
  3 (4.2%)
Playing the French ~Aagaard & Ntirlis    
  14 (19.7%)
The Ultimate anti-Grunfeld...~Svetushkin    
  2 (2.8%)
A Practical White Rep. w/ 1.d4 &2.c4~Kornev    
  4 (5.6%)
GM Repertoire 14: The French Defence v 1~Berg    
  0 (0.0%)
The Perfect Pirc-Modern ~Moskalenko    
  3 (4.2%)
GM Repertoire 14: The French Defence v 2~Berg    
  5 (7.0%)
Cunning Chess Opening Rep. for White~Burgess    
  7 (9.9%)

Total votes: 71
« Last Modified by: Smyslov_Fan on: 02/12/14 at 16:31:48 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) John Shaw wins 2013 Opening Book of the Year! (Read 125510 times)
BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Re: 2013 Opening Book of the Year
Reply #147 - 03/01/14 at 18:13:53
Post Tools
Congratulations to Burgess for third. Emerging from the thicket is a testament to writing a pretty good book.

Congratulations, of course, to Shaw and the Playing the French authors.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #146 - 03/01/14 at 13:22:54
Post Tools
Congratulations to the winner John Shaw. I hope this will be an encouragement for the young author to strive for further improvement.
Wink

And my congratulations to Ametanoitos, well done.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #145 - 03/01/14 at 06:35:40
Post Tools
So, it is John Shaw indeed! Second time i participated in this poll and second time i came up second. In another poll about the Kaissiber competition i was second as well, so i start feelling like Keres!

Or, after a second thought, isn't Mr Buecker right after all and Shaw's book should be banned? Is "Playing the French" after all the real winner?  Grin

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #144 - 02/28/14 at 07:14:05
Post Tools
Less than 24 hours before the polls close!

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #143 - 02/27/14 at 22:03:40
Post Tools
I didn't come up with the example of IM Pert. I only countered it by stating this is not a discussion so a 2 way traffic of exchanging thoughts while keeping respect for each other.

The second example is indeed much better and both sides are respectful to each other except for 1 moment which i indicate. Arne is smart not to react on it but it doesn't mean that it is ok.

Some people here are advising Stefan to go to QC forum and there start to write all his complaints. I warn him that this could be a wrong decision based on my own experiences.

About having something personal against QC, I answer with the intro of my last article: "Quality chess has regularly nice blogarticles to create traffic to the site, advertise their products and naturally eventually to sell more. They don't avoid on purpose controversial subjects." http://chess-brabo.blogspot.be/2014/02/old-wine-in-new-skins.html
I would even believe i am advertising for QC instead of attacking no? In fact much of what i state is neither black or white. It just takes time to understand my views but very few do.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #142 - 02/27/14 at 21:53:52
Post Tools
I wonder if they are taking their time in responding in order to work through the book and identify just how much material hasnt been referenced that should have in order to make a full and frank apology (if appropriate).

The two links above to responses to previous critical reviews appear to me to be quite thorough and fairly accurate.  In Moll's case i think he accepted that despite some of his review having merit, his review didnt provide a proper overview of the book as it didnt mention some of the significant elements of the book.

In Pert's response he was arguing that the reviewer was misrepresenting his work and thats why he was so incensed.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #141 - 02/27/14 at 21:03:28
Post Tools
So Brabo, at first you say that QC doesn't like to discuss things online. Then someone proves you wrong and then you say that they do but they are not doing it well quoting a post from the author himself (IM Pert) and not the publisher (but it is again the publisher's fault, right?) without even trying to see the author's point, and in top of that you are judging the intentions behind the second post being "better" because chessvibes/chess.com is a big player! What can i say about that! Really i cannot.

I will only reffer you to the discussions of Mr Moll's review by the readers of these sites where there is some severe critique against it while at the QC blog Moll himself wrote "Hi Jacob & Nikos, It’s great to see your reactions to be honest, this is something most authors wouldn’t be capable of after a critical review". But again, it is a nice thing to quote only something small in order to try to prove a false point and not only that, but at the same time judge people's  intentions. I really cannot follow this logic. Don't you see that it has gone far from being an objective opinion to something personal against QC?

So, when someone reacts badly in a critique it is a disadvantage, while when he reacts well it is a disadvantage as well. On the other hand if he doesn't react at all then again it is a bad thing because he cannot stand to be judged?

To me it is obvious that QC will answer at some point (as they always do) but they have chosen to do so after the competition is over. 

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #140 - 02/27/14 at 18:37:55
Post Tools
OK. I was simply evaluating the statement "critics on their work or articles is not something they are willing to discuss in public".

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #139 - 02/27/14 at 18:17:57
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 02/27/14 at 16:50:32:
brabo wrote on 02/27/14 at 16:29:53:
I have my doubts about that. My experiences with the QC forum is that critics on their work or articles is not something they are willing to discuss in public as it can damage their sales.

This has not been my experience. If anything I would be more likely to claim that they err on the side of discussing it too much. For example here are two QC blog articles specifically responding at great length to critical reviews:
The difficulty of being Black
“Playing the Trompowsky” – IM Richard Pert responds to a critical review

The examples you give are not really very favorable for QC.
I quote:
"Unfortunately there will always be people who like to criticize, and this time it’s the turn of Mr Martin Rieger. I don’t know who Mr Rieger is; I’ve never heard of him before, but since he has criticized my work I am keen to respond." That doesn't sound to me that one is open to discuss publicly critics. It is just a good try to ridiculize all the critics.

The other one is much better (likely because chessvibes/ chess.com is a big player) but also here we see again the fact that critics are not well perceived, again I quote:
"Your idea that you are objective is of course flawed, as you will certainly know. Yes, I try to go in that direction as well, so I know what you mean." Clearly playing the man which is totally unnecessary.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #138 - 02/27/14 at 17:01:38
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 02/27/14 at 14:26:58:

By the way, what happens when a book wins Chesspub Opening Book of the Year?  As far as I know, it's just an informal vote among 5-dozen or so people on a chess forum.  And I like that, I genuinely like our little community, and I'm glad it's not as big as the forums at chess.com, for instance.  But we're a fairly small corner of the internet. Admittedly, MANY people who are interested in chess opening theory are Chess Publishing subscribers, but they don't frequent the forums.  I notice that some people lurk and read some analysis in subsections, but I'm not sure that many people outside of the 5-dozen or so who vote in the poll are reading this thread.  The webmaster knows, of course, but not me.

Publishers have mentioned this poll in their online messages before. It's not the most prestigious award, but the winners should be proud that fellow chess players and authors voted for their book.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #137 - 02/27/14 at 16:50:32
Post Tools
brabo wrote on 02/27/14 at 16:29:53:
I have my doubts about that. My experiences with the QC forum is that critics on their work or articles is not something they are willing to discuss in public as it can damage their sales.

This has not been my experience. If anything I would be more likely to claim that they err on the side of discussing it too much. For example here are two QC blog articles specifically responding at great length to critical reviews:
The difficulty of being Black
“Playing the Trompowsky” – IM Richard Pert responds to a critical review

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #136 - 02/27/14 at 16:29:53
Post Tools
tp2205 wrote on 02/27/14 at 14:44:31:
Agreed. Raising the issue here as well is reasonable, but for campaigning the QC forum is the place to go.

In any case I hope the matter will be settled soon.

I have my doubts about that. My experiences with the QC forum is that critics on their work or articles is not something they are willing to discuss in public as it can damage their sales. Maybe if you do this off-line then you have a better chance.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #135 - 02/27/14 at 16:19:59
Post Tools
I notice that some people lurk and read some analysis in subsections, but I'm not sure that many people outside of the 5-dozen or so who vote in the poll are reading this thread.  The webmaster knows, of course, but not me.

There is a counter above each thread. Here it is standing already on 7336 times so that is a massive amount taking into account that only a bunch of people are writing in this thread. You are clearly underestimating the power of the internet. Just look at the number of guests online (with no writing possibilities so only readers) and you will notice it is always many times higher than the members.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #134 - 02/27/14 at 14:44:31
Post Tools
tp2205 wrote on 02/27/14 at 13:50:51:
A statement from QC (who by now should be well aware of the issue) would be nice and would make it hopefully possible to close this issue.

It's entirely plausible that the relevant people at Quality Chess are not, in fact, scouring our forums, so I don't think it reasonable to think that they'll descend, deus ex machina, to resolve anything.  Stefan (or anyone else) needs to contact them directly and professionally.

Ametanoitos posted in this thread so there is at least one possible channel through which the information could have reached QC. But you may be right.

Quote:
I say this because in my mind, this little thread is such an odd place for Stefan to air his grievances, even if they are justified (and the more I read, the more I think that they probably are, but I'm trying to stay neutral as I don't have any of the relevant material in front of me and haven't heard the other side's response).  For every thing there is a time and a place, and a proper manner, and I don't think that this thread is any of those things.

What is Stefan trying to accomplish--to sway our little Chesspub poll?  He may do that.  But if he wants a response from Quality Chess, what on Earth is he doing here?

Agreed. Raising the issue here as well is reasonable, but for campaigning the QC forum is the place to go.

In any case I hope the matter will be settled soon.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #133 - 02/27/14 at 14:26:58
Post Tools
tp2205 wrote on 02/27/14 at 13:50:51:
A statement from QC (who by now should be well aware of the issue) would be nice and would make it hopefully possible to close this issue.

It's entirely plausible that the relevant people at Quality Chess are not, in fact, scouring our forums.  It isn't reasonable to think that they'll descend, deus ex machina, to resolve anything.  Stefan (or anyone else) needs to contact them directly and professionally.

By the way, what happens when a book wins Chesspub Opening Book of the Year?  As far as I know, it's just an informal vote among 5-dozen or so people on a chess forum.  And I like that, I genuinely like our little community, and I'm glad it's not as big as the forums at chess.com, for instance.  But we're a fairly small corner of the internet. Admittedly, MANY people who are interested in chess opening theory are Chess Publishing subscribers, but they don't frequent the forums.  I notice that some people lurk and read some analysis in subsections, but I'm not sure that many people outside of the 5-dozen or so who vote in the poll are reading this thread.  The webmaster knows, of course, but not me.

I say this because in my mind, this little thread is such an odd place for Stefan to air his grievances, even if they are justified (and the more I read, the more I think that they probably are, but I'm trying to stay neutral as I don't have any of the relevant material in front of me and haven't heard the other side's response).  For every thing there is a time and a place, and a proper manner, and I don't think that this thread is any of those things.

What is Stefan trying to accomplish--to sway our little Chesspub poll?  He may do that.  But if he wants a response from Quality Chess, what on Earth is he doing here?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo