Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) C52: Evans Gambit accepted - Mieses Defense (Read 13133 times)
brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Re: C52: Evans Gambit accepted - Mieses Defense
Reply #10 - 01/15/15 at 15:07:44
Post Tools
That is exactly the same line which I recommended here in 2007 already: http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1174123574
16...h5 is even better as I remember from preparing for a OTB game 1 or 2 years ago

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 01/15/15 at 14:30:24
Post Tools
Well, what about 10.Qd4 f6?
According to all existing data (more than 150 games) white has trouble equalizing. Especially this game puts the whole variation in serious doubt:

IP Logged

kevinludwig

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #8 - 01/13/15 at 16:09:06
Post Tools

IP Logged

Kevin
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 01/13/15 at 15:59:56
Post Tools
> Does anyone have any information on 10.Qxd4 as opposed to 10.Bb3 in both of the given games? I get the impression that that's supposed to be a good try.

Several years ago Jeremy Silman and Larry Christiansen had a three article series on it which made it seem pretty good. Both articles have since been taken down, and this is the point where I was going to provide 3 cool links to them via the way back machine, however, since this is my first post (allegedly at least; I used to have an account that apparently no longer exists), I can't post web links for another 5 posts.

In the book, 'The Chess Advantage in Black and White' by IM Kaufman, I vaguely remember him recommending for black 8. ...Ne5 9. Bb3 because 8. ...d5 9. Qxd4 led to slight advantage for white (with a supporting variation that seemed to make sense given the Silman/Christiansen articles). I don't have the book handy but maybe someone can dig up that variation.

IP Logged

SFN
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 10/29/14 at 17:44:57
Post Tools
In the dvd"King pawn openings for white" by GM Gregory Kaidanov, he recommends the more agressive 7.Qb3 instead of castling.Here is an example game:

IP Logged

cramie10
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 01/27/14 at 11:41:53
Post Tools
Fllg wrote on 01/26/14 at 11:16:54:
There has also been an interesting discussion on Chesspub in this thread

Thanks for pointing that out, while I've looked over the thread others may not know of it.

Yeah, the impression I'm getting in general is that White needs to fight for equality in a lot of lines, in positions which aren't even that tricky. Does anyone have any information on 10.Qxd4 as opposed to 10.Bb3 in both of the given games? I get the impression that that's supposed to be a good try.

Must thank MNb for a good sample game, while there is a large rating gap it's actually the lower rated player that's getting a draw with ease there...

In response to Mr Brett, as far as I can tell 7.Qb3 appears to have a slightly better reputation than the mainline. Nigel Short (while he does play some... interesting stuff) has been playing it mostly (exclusively?) this way lately.

I'm going to get stuck into some analysis tonight with a PC and come up with some of my own conclusions and check some other analysis too. I'll get back with that on this thread.

Cheers

Doing things wrong since '94

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 01/26/14 at 12:42:59
Post Tools
Perhaps this game is the latest word:

½-½

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/26/14 at 11:16:54
Post Tools
According to Lysyj & Ovetchkin in "The Open Games for Black" from 2012 after 7.0-0 Nge7 "White will be forced to fight for equality" while they consider 7.Qb3 to be "White´s best move" and end their analysis with equality.

Though this book is written for the black side I think anyone interested in the Evans should consult it.

There has also been an interesting discussion on Chesspub in this thread: http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1306923212/0

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/26/14 at 10:09:03
Post Tools
Anyone know what the latest position is on 7 Qb3 !?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #1 - 01/26/14 at 07:54:26
Post Tools
I'm not claiming the following game, played in 2001, is the latest word in the opening, but my understanding is that this is the reason we don't see this stuff for white. Black has all the fun in these lines, and has a fantastic score in practical games (between masters).

NB: Modified to correct a typo.

IP Logged

cramie10
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

C52: Evans Gambit accepted - Mieses Defense
01/26/14 at 01:59:20
Post Tools
The Mieses defense to the Evans accepted goes as follows:

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. b4 Bxb4 5. c3 Ba5 6. d4 exd4 7. 0-0 Nge7!?

I was curious as to how people recommend playing against this with the white side? As far as I can tell there are ranging opinions on both of the main variations for white: 8. cxd4 and the newer 8. Ng5!?

A lot of sources I find on this seem to indicate that black is better, but a lot of people also insist that white is equal with a complicated position in a few forcing variations.

Does anyone think they have a clear cut way to equality for white? Or perhaps a clear cut way to advantage for black?

I am also aware of the variation where white plays 7.Qb3!? instead of castling, advocated by Nigel Short. This avoids the problem of the Mieses defense but offers black other options. While I don't intend this topic to be a discussion of that variation, I thought I'd make it known that this is a viable alternative.

I look forward to an interesting discussion Smiley
« Last Edit: 01/26/14 at 07:48:41 by Smyslov_Fan »  

Doing things wrong since '94

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo