Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) torre vs london (Read 21115 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: torre vs london
Reply #6 - 01/16/15 at 18:04:47
Post Tools
But of course 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.c4 also allows 3...c6 and 3...dc, and tends not to lead to the best sort of QGD Exchange ...

IP Logged

hicetnunc

"Do something scary every
day"

Reply #5 - 01/16/15 at 17:45:33
Post Tools
I've been playing the Torre attack in conjonction with the the QGD Exchange (1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.c4 rather than 3.Bg5) for ~2 years against 1800-2200 competition with good results.

Curiously, I was rather reticent to play the Torre at first, but I've had very good results with it (perf. ~my elo+100).

IMO, here are the pros and cons of the Torre :

Pros :
- good suprise value - it's pretty rare, and even fairly strong players don't have much prepared against it
- there's no clearcut antidote : many equalizing lines but maybe no clear best line - besides, many of the antidotes leave a lot of material on the board
- it lends itself either to slow positional (Petrosian, Trifunovic) or fairly aggressive interpretations (Yusupov)

Cons :
- I found it difficult to find my way in the opening, as there's no good book guide available ; you really need to experiment and slowly come to grips with the opening ; besides the handling of the bishops is pretty difficult
- it requires to slowly become familiar with many different pawn structures
- the systems with ...g6 are pretty challenging, and, in general, easier to play for the black player

I've never played the London, but I have a clubmate who plays it. My feeling is that it's less rich than the Torre, and doesn't have the same surprise value. It's more inflexible too, but it looks like it's much easier to play.

48 yo, 1920 elo

IP Logged

Pcal
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 01/16/15 at 15:30:13
Post Tools
Both are fine. 

What is the difference between a main line opening that you play on a regular basis and one of these systems?
  Nothing if you don't vary your opening play. Nothing if you don't look for new ideas, Nothing if you don't take the time to find out what people are playing against your opening... I.e. nothing if you don't do your prep.   The notion that somehow any opening system (one that's not been refuted of course) effects your chess technique i.e. command of the middle game and end game) IMO is bogus (Touted by players who strive at all cost to win the game in the opening phase... lol And who despise players who play systems, i.e. Usually because they weren't allowed to play their booked up pet line...  These types almost rage when you defeat them using a system... lol   Grin  )  I have a serious plus core using the London against KID. The London is not the best to meet the KID, but for me... I know the positions really well and my plus score gives me a sociological boost.
At my level...2100 USCF Somehow that shows up in OTB.

Both Torre and the London systems are good if you vary them with other openings. Currently I play the London about 50% of the time and  essay 1. d4 and 2. c4  the other 50%

There is a solid argument that anything below 2400 level the opening as long as it's solid doesn't matter. One has to consider a very small amount of chess players reach that level of proficiency... let alone GM.

IMO that makes systems totally doable. And even above the 2400 level... There are IM's and GM's  that have made a name for themselves playing these systems.. 

I say (if ya want)  play a system and study the other facets of the game.. Some go wrong because they don't study the system looking for new ideas.

A chess site like this comes in handy... You get new ideas and the latest evaluations even on systems such as the London or Torre

But with whatever you do... don't start chasing openings.. 

IP Logged

YaBB Newbies

Do or do not there is
no try!

Reply #3 - 01/15/15 at 05:06:23
Post Tools
Aagard wrote at a book,he is happy when his lower rating opponent plays such openings but this is the point.
A better player can overplay at the middle game the opponnent.
also a club player  who has not time to read theory,he may use time to time such openings with little theory to know depending to his style.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/15/15 at 00:52:00
Post Tools
Avatar wrote on 01/14/15 at 21:48:27:
I do not like london system,so Torre will be my choice especially for lower rated players in case I want to avoid heir preparation.

Is their any great difference for the defender?

I would use a reverse Reti or a pseudo-Hedgehog regardless of whether the Bishop is on g5 or f4.

In the reverse Reti from left to right, you go Nf6, g6, Bg7, 0-0, d6, Nbd7,c5, b6, Bb7. You then have some options as to squares for the Queen and Rooks. Giving the Bishop a kick with  .. h6 can sometimes be useful.

In the pseudo-Hedgehog you have Nf6, e6, Be7, 0-0, d6, Nbd7, c5, b6, Bb7

Grandmasters like Hebden are able to squeeze regardless, otherwise I don't think either White set up (Bg5/f4) is particularly dangerous.

IP Logged

YaBB Newbies

Do or do not there is
no try!

Reply #1 - 01/14/15 at 21:48:27
Post Tools
I do not like london system,so Torre will be my choice especially for lower rated players in case I want to avoid heir preparation
Also I thing torre is not so good at 1.d5 lines as mentioned at some book.so maybe colle with b3 etc  a choice then.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

torre vs london
02/12/14 at 21:21:17
Post Tools
How would you comepare the two? Would you play one over the other vs certain openings? Seems to me the London is good vs g6 stuff but the torre shines against e6 lines. Well maybe the London is more complete but like to hear the opinions of more experienced players. Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo